PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Ghost PC

SillySymphonies
2011-01-04, 08:30 AM
In a 3.5 Eberron game I DM, one of the player's PC died last session. The PC in question was a jedi-styled monk (whirling steel strike feat tree) and after some discussion with the player, we might bring her PC back as a 'force ghost' (ghost template with deathless creature type instead of undead).

Due to the LA +5 of the ghost template, she'll lose most of her class levels and the monk class and the ghost template don't synergize well: the monk class is about improving mind and body, but as a ghost, there is no longer a body to improve.

My question: what PHB/ECS/XPH class synergizes well with the ghost template and keeps the jedi theme intact? If needed, I can throw in a ghost touch upgrade to the PC's sword for free, so she can hit corporeal creatures.

Houserules:
*Sourcebooks allowed: Player's Handbook; Dungeon Master's Guide; Monster Manual; Expanded Psionics Handbook [on a case-by-case basis]; Eberron Campaign Setting
*Multiclass bab and base saves are not rounded until the end; good saves only gain a +2 for the first class level. So for multiclass purposes, a 1st level bard has 0.75 (not 0) bab, and base saves Fort 0.33 Ref 2.5 and Will 2.5

One more thing: I'm aware of the optimization skills of this forum. Please, do not tell me that the monk class sucks, that my houserules are ridiculous, that I should allow more sourcebooks, that the ghost's LA +5 is way too much and so on. Thank you.

PS Just to be clear: due to losing five class levels anyway, we'll probably build the PC from scratch, so she won't be stuck with any actual monk levels.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-04, 08:37 AM
what is your opinion on Homebrew cause I think there have been several actual Jedi classesbuilt on these forums

SillySymphonies
2011-01-04, 08:47 AM
what is your opinion on Homebrew cause I think there have been several actual Jedi classesbuilt on these forums
If there really isn't another viable option, I might look into it, but in general I'm averse to using another's homebrew. Besides, wouldn't we run into the same problem again as with the monk class: bonuses to physical abilities that are redundant due to the ghost template?

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-04, 08:49 AM
Yes but short of letting her either waive some LA you are gonna run into that problem everywhere.

The White Knight
2011-01-04, 08:50 AM
Psychic Warrior?

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-04, 08:56 AM
Psychic Warrior?

Think Psionic Gish

Telonius
2011-01-04, 09:00 AM
I would very strongly suggest that you pick up Ghostwalk. It has a Ghost template that is much different than the MM version, and is specifically designed for people who want to play ghostly characters. It synergizes well with what you already have. The Eidolon PrC is full-BAB, and grants Ghost feats, which could allow you to manifest fully depending on what you take.

Basically, it would allow you to seamlessly apply your character concept to actual gameplay with practically no loss of power.

If you're absolutely stuck with the sources you've listed, it's going to be really tough. Paladin might kind-of fit, with the Jedi's code and uses for Charisma (which also benefit a Ghost). As a melee-like class, it'll be less hurt by the level adjustment (though it's still going to sting). I'm not expert in Psionics, so PLEASE take this with a giant grain of salt; but Psychic Warrior and Soulknife sound like they fit the concept. (I'm under the impression that both are considered underpowered, but they fit the concept).

Serpentine
2011-01-04, 09:05 AM
If there really isn't another viable option, I might look into it, but in general I'm averse to using another's homebrew.I'd trust some of the homebrew and homebrewers more than the RAW. If you look for the good, knowledgable and reliable homebrewers and check out their stuff, and the things they critique - especially if it's well-critiqued - there shouldn't be any real reason not to consider it.

Are you very unwilling to homebrew some of the Level Adjustment away yourself? And what about focussing on a particular part of the ghost abilities? Consider, for example, looking for classes that work particularly well with etherealness or possession.
Alas, don't know enough to offer any real suggestions.

Foryn Gilnith
2011-01-04, 09:10 AM
If you have Psionics in your game, why not try an Unbodied? It synergizes better with class levels (namely, Psion levels), as opposed to Ghost which would probably have to build around its special Ghost abilities.

SillySymphonies
2011-01-04, 10:40 AM
I'd trust some of the homebrew and homebrewers more than the RAW. If you look for the good, knowledgable and reliable homebrewers and check out their stuff, and the things they critique - especially if it's well-critiqued - there shouldn't be any real reason not to consider it.
By sticking to core + campaign book + XPH everyone at the table knows exactly what they can expect (rules-wise, that is). No players get seemingly unfair advantages by going trough a dozen sourcebooks to optimize their build. I know core isn't perfect, but at least I know what its problems are and how to counter them. If I allow homebrew for one player, it's only fair to allow it to all of them, and I really don't want to open those flood gates. I know the consensus on this forum is different from my opinion, but I really don't want to have this discussion right now.

Serpentine
2011-01-04, 10:57 AM
Aha, I missed that you have a strict limit on sources allowed. That's fair enough, then.
And I wasn't so much trying to convince you that homebrew is great and you should like totally use it or anything, just checking that you knew that there's no reason for a bias against homebrew.

Greenish
2011-01-04, 11:02 AM
Psychic Warrior and Soulknife sound like they fit the concept. (I'm under the impression that both are considered underpowered, but they fit the concept).The other one's main class feature is a weapon worse than what you could buy.

The other is perhaps the single strongest non-fullcaster melee class in the game (and definitely in the SRD).

Which is which is left as an exercise for the reader. :smallwink:

Adamantrue
2011-01-04, 11:27 AM
Is your group aware of the Savage Progressions (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) articles they used to have at WotC? They have a Savage Species-style progression for the Ghost Template, which may prove helpful.

Caylus
2011-01-26, 08:22 AM
A tad late, perhaps, but did you consider the necklace of natural weapons from savage species? The enhancement boni on the necklace are aplied to one or more of the wearers natural weapons.

Cost: (600 + price enhancement boni) x number of natural weapons (2 in case of a monk?).

Give him/her a necklace of +1 shock/ghost touch natural weapons, and fluff it to zapping adjacent enemies with lightning.

When the Jedi levels up to sufficient high level, give her a +1 shock/throwing/returning/ghost touch natural weapons. She can zap non-adjacent enemies now!

Unarmed strike damage + AC boni +speed enhancement of the monk are still useful for him/her, throw a bonus feat in every four levels in a group with light optimization, every three with moderate, every two with high to make up for the now useless other abilities of the monk class, see whether he/she is having fun et voila: a ghost Jedi! Lightning theme works best with Siths though.