PDA

View Full Version : Need extra swift actions

Angry Bob
2011-01-04, 12:58 PM
I only know of one way to get them(RKV), and using it attenuates what I wanted to use it for.

What I want to be able to do is score one or two Tiger Claw boosts in one round for big fights when something has to die right now. I thought the belt of battle would do it, but apparently not. My build is Warblade 20, for the full BaB, to qualify for TWF feats earlier than swordsage, so Dual Boost is also out of the question.

Is there anything else that gives me extra swift actions or extra boosts per turn? Pretty much any source allowed, including "reputable" 3rd party sources.

Elric VIII
2011-01-04, 01:07 PM
It's easy enough to homebrew a feat that allows dual boosting. The SS 20 ability is not incredibly powerful for something at level 20, so I don't think that would be a problem.

Also, perhaps somethign similar to Divine Impetous, such as the Warblade must expend an additional maneuver to be able use two boosts, therefore effectively using up 3 to get the effects of two. This definately makes you think about when you must do it due to the Warblade's limited amount of maneuvers readied.

Keld Denar
2011-01-04, 01:08 PM
Its debated whether or not an extra full round action comes with an extra swift action as well. If so, things like a Belt of Battle, or being polymorphed/shapechanged into a Chronotryn or Choaker with Assume Supernatural Ability.

Otherwise, no, there really isn't any way other than Duel Boost and Divine Impetus.

Godskook
2011-01-04, 01:13 PM
Its debated whether or not an extra full round action comes with an extra swift action as well. If so, things like a Belt of Battle, or being polymorphed/shapechanged into a Chronotryn or Choaker with Assume Supernatural Ability.

Belt of Battle will not grant an extra swift action even under such a ruling. It'll merely replace the one he used to activate the belt in the first place, which won't help his "dual boosts" goal at all.

Elric VIII
2011-01-04, 01:19 PM
Another, somewhat roundabout, method is to use leadership to give yourself a Warblade or Crusader companion. Just have that character delay until after you initiative and White Raven Tactics you. It doesn't let you boost twice at once, but it gives you an extra turn. Since you mention Tiger Claw, I assume you want to double up on the Dancing/Raging Mongoose and Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip, this won't achieve exatly that, but it will give you the desired "die right now" effect.

Angry Bob
2011-01-04, 01:42 PM
That last one actually works pretty well, since the group hasn't banned leadership yet.

Elric VIII
2011-01-04, 01:50 PM
That last one actually works pretty well, since the group hasn't banned leadership yet.

Just don't overdo it, make something along the lines of Crusader 5/Healer X focused on healbotting and buffing. Make the Cohort a dedicated facilitator, he should never actually kill anything/achieve anything intended for a player.

Angry Bob
2011-01-04, 01:57 PM
Just don't overdo it, make something along the lines of Crusader 5/Healer X focused on healbotting and buffing. Make the Cohort a dedicated facilitator, he should never actually kill anything/achieve anything intended for a player.

Obviously. Optimization doesn't work when it gets itself banned, and who wants their face time taken by an NPC anyway?

Elric VIII
2011-01-04, 02:16 PM
Obviously. Optimization doesn't work when it gets itself banned, and who wants their face time taken by an NPC anyway?

Sorry if that came out as condescending, but I have recommended a cohort to a friend and he (Druid - summoner) cam out with a blaster Sorcerer. While not optimized that really made him a party by himself with animal companion, Sorcerer companion, his summoned creatures, and his own spellcasting on top of it.

Angry Bob
2011-01-04, 02:56 PM
No, it's fine, I said that mainly because I once played in a game with a DMPC that basically demonstrated every reason DMPCs are bad: outclassing the party members, blatantly breaking the rules, always getting the lion's share of "randomly rolled" loot that coincidentally was always best on him, and new characters having to service him(figuratively) to not be shot to death on joining the party.

So I'd naturally try very hard not to make an NPC that takes center stage.

Draz74
2011-01-04, 06:35 PM
Another way to "nova" with a ToB character, in a "this guy must die now!" situation, is to delay your turn until you have a lower initiative than him, then use Moment of Alacrity at the end of your turn. Voila, you get to go again before he gets a turn to respond.

Especially fun combo:
Stormguard Warrior Combat Rhythm + Avalanche of Blades + Moment of Alacrity + whatever you want to boost your next full attack (e.g. Raging Mongoose + Time Stands Still).