PDA

View Full Version : Devilish Campaign

Cicciograna
2011-01-04, 01:51 PM
I'm re-reading Tyrants of Nine Hells and was wondering... Has anybody ever played a campaign (maybe a solo) where the PC begins playing as a low-level devil (Lemure for extra difficulty at first levels) and progress up to the rank of pit fiend? Would this be feasible or enjoyable?

Mordokai
2011-01-04, 01:57 PM
I imagine it would be enjoyable, if done right. The question is, how to do it right? I think lemure is right out of question. They are basically mindless and good for nothing more than catalyst. Nupperibos are out of question as well. They are nothing more than meat to be grinded.

Maybe start as one of foot soldiers, your basic legion devil seems like a good choice. Orthon would be most interesting choice. For a little more noble feel, as far as devils can be noble, choose narzugon. Show yourself as worthy devil in blood war, backstab a few of your higher ranking officers(or fellow soldiers, from the start) and let your imagination lead you from there on.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-04, 02:15 PM
The issue is that the Legion Devil is broken beyond all repair. Look at its special ability and then calculate how many of them you can stuff into that area. They have something like +52 to hit in a fully stocked unit, and 120 HP. Plus as Hive Minds they aren't the best for characters. I would start as an Imp myself and have the campaign just start at level 3. The imp is pretty good, and the higher stuff is great.

Then the issue is whether your going to fight in the Blood War or be sent to the PMP to seduce mortals or be kept in the 9 Hells to do Clerical/political work. Plus leveling by the Devil system isn't XP based, its based around if your commanding officer wants to promote you to the higher level. So your going to either have to make the XP come from the goals of your officer (so much XP per soul contract, or per Demon head, or per secret uncovered, etc).

TroubleBrewing
2011-01-04, 06:24 PM
Hadn't considered it myself, but I actually really like the idea.

So your going to either have to make the XP come from the goals of your officer (so much XP per soul contract, or per Demon head, or per secret uncovered, etc).

I especially like this idea.

I did run an epic game once where the character traveled through the hells, killing the devil lords as they went. It sadly ended prematurely when the group dissolved, but it was a fun game in the mean time.

LOTRfan
2011-01-04, 07:23 PM
Zaydos attempted to run one earlier last year. I helped out with some of the planning stuff, but I was too busy to actually play the pbp game, so I don't know how the game run by Zaydos and co. ended up.

TalonDemonKing
2011-01-04, 08:04 PM
I would play if you started this.
Want want want want.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-04, 08:38 PM
Want want want want.

Seconded. It sounds pretty good if done right

Cicciograna
2011-01-05, 05:53 AM
I imagine it would be enjoyable, if done right. The question is, how to do it right? I think lemure is right out of question. They are basically mindless and good for nothing more than catalyst. Nupperibos are out of question as well. They are nothing more than meat to be grinded.

Maybe start as one of foot soldiers, your basic legion devil seems like a good choice. Orthon would be most interesting choice. For a little more noble feel, as far as devils can be noble, choose narzugon. Show yourself as worthy devil in blood war, backstab a few of your higher ranking officers(or fellow soldiers, from the start) and let your imagination lead you from there on.
That is what I was thinking: starting from Barbazu or from Imp would probabily be the best option.

Then the issue is whether your going to fight in the Blood War or be sent to the PMP to seduce mortals or be kept in the 9 Hells to do Clerical/political work.
Probabily both, as a devils, in their cursus honorum, touch forms best suited for one job or the other.

Plus leveling by the Devil system isn't XP based, its based around if your commanding officer wants to promote you to the higher level. So your going to either have to make the XP come from the goals of your officer (so much XP per soul contract, or per Demon head, or per secret uncovered, etc).
Interesting. Very interesting.

Want want want want.

Seconded. It sounds pretty good if done right
I thank you for your enthusiasm, but I don't think I'll run such a campaign here on the boards. I agree with Dragon of Undeath that this requires an experienced DM to be fun, and unfortunately I haven't any experience in PbP games, neither as player nor as DM, so, at the moment, I pass.

Ingus
2011-01-05, 07:32 AM
This would be very funny, but I suggest you to plan in advance the promotions and the inherent adventures: leveling by assuming a new devilish form is quite different. Just an example: you are a Imp, a low level, normal guy in everything except swiftness and hiding; by promotion you become a Bearded Devil, a stupid but hard hitting soldier; then again, by promotion, an Erynies, a silent scout... You got it: different promotions mean different roles and thus different adventures.

Besides, think about how manage ability changes between forms. I suggest to give a bonus/malus between forms or to make them unchanged at all.

If you want to extend this to more than one player, it would be quite difficult to manage backstabbing between PCs and role division, unless you use an extensive archive of devil monsters.

By the way, let us know how is gone.

Chilingsworth
2011-01-05, 10:16 AM
You can't be promoted to Erynies, you have to be born as one. Actually, didn't Savage Species have an erynies monster class? You could have everyone play young erynies and level up using that. Maybe allow them to take class levels inbetween monster levels to allow for specialization of the characters?

Mordokai
2011-01-05, 10:43 AM
It makes sense for erinyes to be born. However, that can easily be handwaived away, if need be. Or, making it easier, actually have your character be a born erinye. Then you can strive for promotion to pleasure devil and have a game full of political intrigue.

As for Savage Species... you have a class progression for hamatula, imp and kyton. No erinyes, sadly. You probably think succubus.