PDA

View Full Version : HAHAH! I finally get to play D&D!

Keinnicht
2011-01-04, 01:52 PM
Sorry for the blog-ish post, but I'm really excited. For the first time in my life, someone else is the DM. Finally, finally I can just sit around for most of the week and then go play my character! I don't have to sit around for five hours drawing maps, creating villians, and planning adventures!

WOOHOO!

Dust
2011-01-04, 01:54 PM
Congrats! What are you going to make? :smallbiggrin:

Keinnicht
2011-01-04, 01:56 PM
Congrats! What are you going to make? :smallbiggrin:

A fair question. I made a sorcerer, a class I always enjoyed when I was a kid. Not sure I like it as much now. I'm thinking I might make a mystic theurge.

SilverLeaf167
2011-01-04, 02:07 PM
Combined with Favored Soul? It's spontaneous too, and benefits from a high Charisma.

Gullintanni
2011-01-04, 02:13 PM
Sorry for the blog-ish post, but I'm really excited. For the first time in my life, someone else is the DM. Finally, finally I can just sit around for most of the week and then go play my character! I don't have to sit around for five hours drawing maps, creating villians, and planning adventures!

WOOHOO!

Lucky! I've been looking for a good (anyone besides me) DM for ages. Make it count!

Shenanigans
2011-01-04, 02:14 PM
Being able to play after a long stretch of DMing is always nice, although be forewarned about the "I don't control the world or make calls on rules disagreements anymore" blues. :)

SilverLeaf167
2011-01-04, 02:38 PM
Yup, I've only played 3 sessions in my life. I have always been a DM since. I've tried to play on Myth-Weavers, but the games always die really easily, if they even start in the first place.

AslanCross
2011-01-04, 06:49 PM
Congratulations! I'm in the same trap myself. For the longest time I've been the DM, and nobody else in our group has the resources to do it. A high and lonely destiny. :smallsigh:

Morbis Meh
2011-01-04, 07:02 PM
Congrats, I am usually the DM in my group, but this year i found 2 campaigns that I get to play in! Next year I will be running one of the settings I am playing in (with a few modifications) but at least I get to play again.

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-04, 07:08 PM
HAHAH! I finally get to play D&D!

I am sorry for that. Anything that will make you feel better about it? :smalltongue:

Cadian 9th
2011-01-04, 07:13 PM
Congratulations! Echoing the others, I too am trapped as DM in all RL games. It's going to be awesome for you to be playing instead. :smallbiggrin:

Ilmryn
2011-01-04, 08:40 PM
Yah, you're lucky. Of the 10 or so people I play with(we have 2 groups), only 3 actually have the books, so I'm stuck DMing all the time...

Golden-Esque
2011-01-04, 08:56 PM
Maybe it's from being a control freak, but I prefer to DM just because I like the ability to plan all of the excitement for the week.

OracleofWuffing
2011-01-04, 09:04 PM
I had a similar experience not too long ago, when I found this (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Fantasy+Gifts,+Easy+Street,+North+Platte,+NE&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=53.961216,96.591797&ie=UTF8&hq=Fantasy+Gifts,&hnear=Easy+St,+North+Platte,+Lincoln,+Nebraska+691 01&ll=41.123572,-100.759086&spn=0.001534,0.002948&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=41.123736,-100.759219&panoid=yMaTzWwriwBuietKGMkgzQ&cbp=12,18.74,,0,-2.44) place has a weekly D&D group. Games aren't popular overall where I live, so it is quite out of the ordinary.

Why yes, that's right, I play D&D in a building that has an outward appearance of what some would identify as a castle.

Sadly, no, it's not as cool as it is on the inside as it is on the outside.

Reynard
2011-01-04, 09:09 PM
I had a similar experience not too long ago, when I found this (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Fantasy+Gifts,+Easy+Street,+North+Platte,+NE&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=53.961216,96.591797&ie=UTF8&hq=Fantasy+Gifts,&hnear=Easy+St,+North+Platte,+Lincoln,+Nebraska+691 01&ll=41.123572,-100.759086&spn=0.001534,0.002948&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=41.123736,-100.759219&panoid=yMaTzWwriwBuietKGMkgzQ&cbp=12,18.74,,0,-2.44) place has a weekly D&D group. Games aren't popular overall where I live, so it is quite out of the ordinary.

Why yes, that's right, I play D&D in a building that has an outward appearance of what some would identify as a castle.

Sadly, no, it's not as cool as it is on the inside as it is on the outside.

Huh. It's on Easy Street.

Traab
2011-01-04, 10:57 PM
Heh, I know the feeling of being pigeonholed into a single role just because you have shown you are capable of it when noone else wants to do it. I used to be a healer in a raiding guild. It didnt matter that I found healing boring, or that I had damage classes, oh no, they only wanted me to show up with my healer so THEY could have all the fun. On the other hand, if I DIDNT heal, I didnt get to go period. :(

Salbazier
2011-01-04, 11:17 PM
Heh, I know the feeling of being pigeonholed into a single role just because you have shown you are capable of it when noone else wants to do it. I used to be a healer in a raiding guild. It didnt matter that I found healing boring, or that I had damage classes, oh no, they only wanted me to show up with my healer so THEY could have all the fun. On the other hand, if I DIDNT heal, I didnt get to go period. :(

Bah! That even worse than has to be DM all the time (of course I never DM myself but sitll...) At least you are in position of authority as a DM. IMO, Even playing heal-bot in a tabletop still much better. I even would oblige happily if people say they really need a healer.

In video games, and with jerk teammates to boot? Meh. Good thing I never into such MMO dedicated play (and even completely stops nowadays)

Dr.Epic
2011-01-04, 11:26 PM
You've never PC'd before?:smallconfused: Weird. Maybe this is just me, but first time playing D&D, you're better off being a PC (being in charge of one character), not the all-powerful DM.

Traab
2011-01-04, 11:32 PM
Bah! That even worse than has to be DM all the time (of course I never DM myself but sitll...) At least you are in position of authority as a DM. IMO, Even playing heal-bot in a tabletop still much better. I even would oblige happily if people say they really need a healer.

In video games, and with jerk teammates to boot? Meh. Good thing I never into such MMO dedicated play (and even completely stops nowadays)

They werent jerks, it was just, they had all the dps types they could fit in, and they needed a healer. My class was capable of being a healer soooooo, I had to heal if I wanted to see the raid level content. At least it was easier being the healer. Most boss fights were setup so I was able to watch the entire thing from relative safety since id be way out of range of any of the MOBs abilities. Tank is at ground zero, spell casters are at max casting range, and im at close to max range behind THEM in case they need heals!

Salbazier
2011-01-04, 11:35 PM
You've never PC'd before?:smallconfused: Weird. Maybe this is just me, but first time playing D&D, you're better off being a PC (being in charge of one character), not the all-powerful DM.

Sometimes people don't have a choice... like when they everyone else is not only never played, but also never read the rulebooks. After that, I imagine it easy to get stuck.

Sillly me, forgot to say: Congratulations to OP! :smallbiggrin:

They werent jerks, it was just, they had all the dps types they could fit in, and they needed a healer. My class was capable of being a healer soooooo, I had to heal if I wanted to see the raid level content. At least it was easier being the healer. Most boss fights were setup so I was able to watch the entire thing from relative safety since id be way out of range of any of the MOBs abilities. Tank is at ground zero, spell casters are at max casting range, and im at close to max range behind THEM in case they need heals!

Ah, okay. Sorry for calling them jerks then.

Keinnicht
2011-01-04, 11:37 PM
Guess what? The DM sucked, did a lot of poorly disguised railroading, and hadn't prepared at all. He also apparently had only ever run published adventures, and was lost without them.

Guess who ended up being picked to DM in the future?

Goddammit.

On the plus side, I handed one of the NPCs attempting to railroad us a "contract for our services" which read:

"I prepared explosive runes this morning."

Then the rogue sneak attacked him. Then the cleric cast speak with dead so we could call him an idiot.

Which I thought you all would appreciate. Try to railroad us, will you?

AslanCross
2011-01-04, 11:51 PM

If you can find an existing group. I had to start my group (which consisted of some of my students), learn the rules, help them learn the rules, and then started the campaign. It's a very rare hobby in this part of the world.

RndmNumGen
2011-01-04, 11:54 PM
Yah, you're lucky. Of the 10 or so people I play with(we have 2 groups), only 3 actually have the books, so I'm stuck DMing all the time...

Why not see if any of your players would be interested in DMing if you loaned them your books?

Cadian 9th
2011-01-04, 11:58 PM
Why not see if any of your players would be interested in DMing if you loaned them your books?

But... But... If I'm a player, I want to have all those books! Precious Books!

LansXero
2011-01-05, 12:29 AM
If you can find an existing group. I had to start my group (which consisted of some of my students), learn the rules, help them learn the rules, and then started the campaign. It's a very rare hobby in this part of the world.

+1

My group all started together, from the SRD and a free downloadable module. Original DM lastes one session, because he isnt very good at english and we couldnt find any spanish resources. Since my english is fine and NO ONE ELSE IN THE GROUP KNOWS EVEN A LITTLE BIT, Ive had to DM for 2 years :D

Finally got to play like since 3 - 4 months ago, though, so its good

eggynack
2011-01-05, 02:28 AM
Guess what? The DM sucked, did a lot of poorly disguised railroading, and hadn't prepared at all. He also apparently had only ever run published adventures, and was lost without them.

Goddammit.

On the plus side, I handed one of the NPCs attempting to railroad us a "contract for our services" which read:

Then the rogue sneak attacked him. Then the cleric cast speak with dead so we could call him an idiot.

This has now gone from a thread of jubilation to one of despair.

Saint GoH
2011-01-05, 02:41 AM
Being able to play after a long stretch of DMing is always nice, although be forewarned about the "I don't control the world or make calls on rules disagreements anymore" blues. :)

After sooo long of DMing, I was a PC in a game a week or so back and about halfway through the session the DM had to ask me to stop correcting his rulings. I didn't even realize I was doing it :smallfrown:

So yes, have fun, but remember you don't have to keep track of all the details now :smallbiggrin:

DukeofDellot
2011-01-05, 03:32 AM
My recent birthday gift from one of my players was him GMing instead of me, now we're alternating GM duty (with two separate campaigns).

It's odd, as I still built everyone's characters (I'm faster), explained rules (always beginning or ending with "if that's how you want to do it"), and brought the books (I'm the only one who owns the them)... but him being my superior at work... sort my superior... well... he's been there longer... anyways it made it easier to respect him as the authority.

But man does he have a different GM style than me.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-05, 03:37 AM
After sooo long of DMing, I was a PC in a game a week or so back and about halfway through the session the DM had to ask me to stop correcting his rulings. I didn't even realize I was doing it :smallfrown:

So yes, have fun, but remember you don't have to keep track of all the details now :smallbiggrin:

+1

Me too!

My recent birthday gift from one of my players was him GMing instead of me, now we're alternating GM duty (with two separate campaigns).

It's odd, as I still built everyone's characters (I'm faster), explained rules (always beginning or ending with "if that's how you want to do it"), and brought the books (I'm the only one who owns the them)... but him being my superior at work... sort my superior... well... he's been there longer... anyways it made it easier to respect him as the authority.

But man does he have a different GM style than me.

Me too, I brought all my friends over. It feels wrong to be a player, for some reason, when one of my friends ran a solo for me. It's because my experience as DM makes me think too much and I often play Wizards (Diviners) who find out a lot and use spells/thing inventively, so I'm a serious handful.

Grogmir
2011-01-05, 04:29 AM

Goddammit.

Sigh :smallmad: - I don't know you or your group, but imo this doesn't paint you in a good light. Its the first session. Maybe the DMs first session ever, or at least for a while.

The first few sessions are always a little bit heavy on the Railroad side - its hard to get to the story without forcing it down the PCs jugular.

Yet it sounds like you conspired to attack the NPC that was giving you the plot.

He might not be the best DM - but you don't sound like the best player either.

I hope it turns around for you - but sounds like you've offered to go back behind the screen.

Whatever happens though - Happy Rollin'