Level: Brd 2, Clr 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius emanation centered on a creature, object, or point in space
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates(harmless)
Spell Resistance: No

Sound originating within the globe of silence can not be heard from outside the globe. Additionally, any sonic based attack originating from within the globe loses LoE to targets outside the globe.

Jarrick
2011-01-04, 06:32 PM
I'm totally casting this the next time the king gives a royal speech. :smallbiggrin:

Moose Man
2011-01-04, 06:38 PM
Why would this be an illusion? If it stops sonic attacks, then it isn't an illusion.

Jarrick
2011-01-04, 06:49 PM
Why would this be an illusion? If it stops sonic attacks, then it isn't an illusion.

Why not? The Silence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/silence.htm) spell is an Illusion (Glamer).

Moose Man
2011-01-04, 07:00 PM
It should be an abjuration, as it protects the ears of those outside the effect. Or dangerous sonic waves. Sonic waves deal damage to objects as well, not just listeners.

Jeraa
2011-01-04, 07:41 PM
It contains effects that could make it both Illusion(Glamer) and Abjuration. As such, it could be classified as either. Or as both, if the OP has multi-school spells in his/her campaign.

Jarrick
2011-01-04, 07:45 PM
It should be an abjuration, as it protects the ears of those outside the effect. Or dangerous sonic waves. Sonic waves deal damage to objects as well, not just listeners.

I dont usually like to argue, but by that logic, wall of stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wallOfStone.htm) should be an abjuration too, since it protects the caster from charging rhinos. :smalltongue:

Jeraa
2011-01-04, 07:49 PM
Also, unless I am mistaken, Silence is a 2nd level spell. This is a better version of it, so should be bumped up to 3rd level.

Godskook
2011-01-04, 07:51 PM

Because it is functionally equivalent to a pre-existing Illusion spell, except for the part where sound works within the area of effect.

Also, unless I am mistaken, Silence is a 2nd level spell. This is a better version of it, so should be bumped up to 3rd level.

Considering that Silence's main selling point was the no-save canceling of spells with verbal components, and this spell doesn't do that, I almost dropped it to 1st level.

Jeraa
2011-01-04, 07:54 PM
Going back and reading more carefully this time... yeah, I have to agree. 2nd level at most.

Jarrick
2011-01-04, 08:00 PM
Because it is functionally equivalent to a pre-existing Illusion spell, except for the part where sound works within the area of effect.

Considering that Silence's main selling point was the no-save canceling of spells with verbal components, and this spell doesn't do that, I almost dropped it to 1st level.

I almost suggested this, but there's also the fact that the target would be unaware he was under the effects of a spell. Which, in the King's speech scenario, would be hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

Qwertystop
2011-01-04, 08:04 PM
As far as I can tell, the only difference between this and the normal Silence is that this has 10 times the duration, but does not prevent sounds with somatic components, and allows sound inside. Was that the intent? Also, I think "Shell of Silence" would be better, as sound is not negated inside the globe, only stopped from passing the border.

Gamer Girl
2011-01-04, 08:26 PM
This is not an 'emanation' as it does not effect the area. This spell creates more of a bubble of anti-sound, but that does not effect the area. This is more of a 'wall' type spell.

And I think spell resistance should apply to this effect.

And this would be a good spell for assassins.

Godskook
2011-01-04, 11:50 PM
This is not an 'emanation' as it does not effect the area. This spell creates more of a bubble of anti-sound, but that does not effect the area. This is more of a 'wall' type spell.

Doesn't seem like a wall to me, since LoS/LoE blockage would negate the effects of the spell, just like on a silence spell.

And I think spell resistance should apply to this effect.

See, there's not much point to casting this on a person at that point, since casting it on an item would provide all the benefit without suffering two rolls to negate. Justified moreso with the actual silence spell since that actually directly affects spellcasters.

Soren Hero
2011-01-05, 12:08 AM
or helps the fighters/clerics in full plate armor sneak silently into the bbeg's lair

Debihuman
2011-01-05, 12:54 AM
Effectively this is a superior silence spell. A normal silence spell is a Brd 2, clr 2 spell. However, this version is better because it has a 10 minute duration instead of 1 minute and sonic spells are reflected back at the caster instead of the recipient just being protected from them.

This needs to be MUCH higher level to avoid making a silence spell irrelevant.

I'd bump it to 4th level at least and possibly 5th level.

Debby

Jeraa
2011-01-05, 02:13 AM
Effectively this is a superior silence spell. A normal silence spell is a Brd 2, clr 2 spell. However, this version is better because it has a 10 minute duration instead of 1 minute and sonic spells are reflected back at the caster instead of the recipient just being protected from them.

Where does it say it reflects spells? It just blocks line of effect on them, meaning sonic and language-dependent spells cast inside the field can not target or effect people outside the field. And it doesn't silence spellcasters, just stops all sound made within the field from being heard by those outside the field.

Mangles
2011-01-05, 06:09 AM
"Chief, I demand the Globe of silence" - 86

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-01-05, 10:26 AM

This needs to be MUCH higher level to avoid making a silence spell irrelevant.

I'd bump it to 4th level at least and possibly 5th level.

Debby

It should be higher than 4th level, as it is strictly superior (excepting its duration) to a similar 4th-level spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/zoneOfSilence.htm)

Jarrick
2011-01-05, 10:06 PM
It should be higher than 4th level, as it is strictly superior (excepting its duration) to a similar 4th-level spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/zoneOfSilence.htm)

oh yeah... I thought that effect sounded familiar... :smallredface: