PDA

View Full Version : I got an iPad!

Betropper
2011-01-04, 04:47 PM
Just announcing to the world that today I got an iPad as a late Christmas present and that I am using it now. :smallbiggrin:

Ps:these things are ALOT easier to use than iPods

Keld Denar
2011-01-04, 05:03 PM
What cable company do you have? Cause I just saw something really neat on TV last night where the dude was using his iPad as a ginormous TVguide to scroll around and control his TV. I think it was Comcast's Xfinity. You should totally do that, and if you do, I'm totally jealous.

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-04, 05:10 PM
Congratulatings! An iPad Owner is you! :smalltongue:

Seriously, though, I wish I had an iPad. Carrying the MacBook around just to read .pdfs is not easy, after all.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-04, 05:32 PM
Cool. Is it worth the hundreds to buy?

Betropper
2011-01-04, 05:44 PM
Cool. Is it worth the hundreds to buy?

Sort of. It really depends on what you normally use an IPod for (assuming you have one). The IPod is better for music and some games while the IPad is great at most games, reading and web browsing.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-04, 05:47 PM
Sort of. It really depends on what you normally use an IPod for (assuming you have one). The IPod is better for music and some games while the IPad is great at most games, reading and web browsing.

I'm looking for a good tablet, that is, something I can draw easily in photoshop. Right now I'm just using a bamboo tablet connected to my PC and I'm wondering if an iPad would be more like actually holding a sketch pad and pencil.

AshDesert
2011-01-04, 06:16 PM
I'm looking for a good tablet, that is, something I can draw easily in photoshop. Right now I'm just using a bamboo tablet connected to my PC and I'm wondering if an iPad would be more like actually holding a sketch pad and pencil.

Adobe and Apple hate each other, so there is no Photoshop on the iPad. Even if there were, it's not as powerful as a full-sized computer, so it wouldn't work as well. There are other art apps for it, but none as good as Photoshop.

I love my dad's iPad. The Remote app (which is also on iPhone) can be used to control Apple TV (which is worth the $99 IMO) and iTunes from your iPad/iPhone, which is pretty cool, although everything has to be connected over WiFi, which can be a bit restrictive. I'd recommend setting up a Kindle account (you don't have to buy a Kindle IIRC, although my mom has one so I could be wrong) and getting the Kindle app, because Amazon has a better library than iBooks right now.

Betropper
2011-01-04, 06:19 PM

Not sure. I don't know if you could get a pencil-shaped object to work on one. Like I said, just got the IPad.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Dr.Epic
2011-01-04, 06:21 PM
Adobe and Apple hate each other, so there is no Photoshop on the iPad. Even if there were, it's not as powerful as a full-sized computer, so it wouldn't work as well. There are other art apps for it, but none as good as Photoshop.

I couldn't install photoshop on it?:smallconfused:

valadil
2011-01-04, 06:33 PM
Have you used it for tabletop gaming yet? That's my primary interest in one and I wanna see how I handle.

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-04, 06:42 PM
I couldn't install photoshop on it?:smallconfused:

I installed Adobe Reader on my MacBook, and their website shows Photoshop for Mac OS as one of their products, so I don't see why you couldn't install it on an iPad, other than the fact that I don't know whether iPad uses the same OS as Mac PCs.

AshDesert
2011-01-04, 06:58 PM
I installed Adobe Reader on my MacBook, and their website shows Photoshop for Mac OS as one of their products, so I don't see why you couldn't install it on an iPad, other than the fact that I don't know whether iPad uses the same OS as Mac PCs.

iPhone and iPod use their own OS that run apps that all have to be bought through Apple's App Store. Most apps are 3rd party, but they all have to be approved by Apple. Looking it up, there is Adobe Photoshop Express, which seems to be a very basic version of Photoshop.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-04, 08:39 PM
iPhone and iPod use their own OS that run apps that all have to be bought through Apple's App Store. Most apps are 3rd party, but they all have to be approved by Apple. Looking it up, there is Adobe Photoshop Express, which seems to be a very basic version of Photoshop.

Well I only have Photoshop elements so I might not mind Express that much. Any word on what it's like?

Isak
2011-01-04, 09:04 PM
Considering I work in a major retailer that sells iPads; Here's my two cents.

The iPad is cool. It definitely has a LOT of capability to the device. Getting the WiFi only version is almost like handicapping yourself though. Sure, you can still do everything but Internet related goodies wherever you happen to be... But being limited in the places in which you can go online is quite lame.

But that's not even the most frustrating part. Apple is a very frustrating company, mind you, so there has to be at least ONE frustrating feature of each product.

The iPad doesn't have a USB port.

It's trying so, SO hard to be a Tablet Computer. It has the portability, the battery life, even a great deal of the capabilities (Web browsing, media capabilities, and apps that can do dang near anything). All the iPad really is though; is an oversized iPod, or media device in general. It has next to no word processing ability, which it's main-target user-groups would use it most often for (Business use, and Student use).

On the positive side, it IS very cool. What isn't cool about a giant touch screen? Congratz on the new toy :smallbiggrin:

Mad Wizard
2011-01-04, 09:28 PM
My dad got an iPad, which he loves and I am ambivalent about. As previous posters have said, it's great for gaming, music, reading, and movies, but is limited in other ways. My dad would argue that it's fine for word processing though (if you buy the bluetooth keyboard to go with it :smallyuk:).

Dr.Epic
2011-01-04, 09:33 PM
Considering I work in a major retailer that sells iPads; Here's my two cents.

The iPad is cool. It definitely has a LOT of capability to the device. Getting the WiFi only version is almost like handicapping yourself though. Sure, you can still do everything but Internet related goodies wherever you happen to be... But being limited in the places in which you can go online is quite lame.

But that's not even the most frustrating part. Apple is a very frustrating company, mind you, so there has to be at least ONE frustrating feature of each product.

It's trying so, SO hard to be a Tablet Computer. It has the portability, the battery life, even a great deal of the capabilities (Web browsing, media capabilities, and apps that can do dang near anything). All the iPad really is though; is an oversized iPod, or media device in general. It has next to no word processing ability, which it's main-target user-groups would use it most often for (Business use, and Student use).

On the positive side, it IS very cool. What isn't cool about a giant touch screen? Congratz on the new toy :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, I had a feeling it was sort of a - as you put it - "toy" (something cool and not that useful as other devices). Maybe I'll just look at tablet computers.

Mauve Shirt
2011-01-04, 09:42 PM
The iPad is neat, however it is a consumption device, not a creation device.

Trog
2011-01-04, 09:57 PM

Well you can pick up one of these (http://www.slashgear.com/ipad-camera-adapter-unlocks-other-tasty-usb-capabilities-2683122/) and then it does, I suppose.

Also I am jealous... sort of. Honestly I'm a mac fanboy at times but I'm still iffy on the iPad. Mac has a very good touch screen OS in iOS but the lack of capabilities I'd have on a laptop is bringing the iPad down a notch for me.

From the looks of OS Lion it seems to integrate some features of iOS and MacOS. If they somehow merged them all together so that all mac-based apps ran on all devices that'd be sweet. Maybe the upgrade after lion will be an upgrade across the board for iPads and Macs alike.

Anyway, until then I'll stick with my mac lappy.

leakingpen
2011-01-05, 10:15 AM

No. the screen doesn't handle that kind of input. You want a tablet pc. Plus, no photoshop on the ipad.

Eldonauran
2011-01-05, 08:57 PM
Congrats on your new toy. I love mine!

AshDesert
2011-01-05, 10:56 PM
Well you can pick up one of these (http://www.slashgear.com/ipad-camera-adapter-unlocks-other-tasty-usb-capabilities-2683122/) and then it does, I suppose.

Also I am jealous... sort of. Honestly I'm a mac fanboy at times but I'm still iffy on the iPad. Mac has a very good touch screen OS in iOS but the lack of capabilities I'd have on a laptop is bringing the iPad down a notch for me.

From the looks of OS Lion it seems to integrate some features of iOS and MacOS. If they somehow merged them all together so that all mac-based apps ran on all devices that'd be sweet. Maybe the upgrade after lion will be an upgrade across the board for iPads and Macs alike.

Anyway, until then I'll stick with my mac lappy.

Looking at Lion, I would be surprised if 10.8 or 11.0 were NOT a combination of iOS and Mac OS. That just seems to be the next logical step after adding the App Store to Mac OS. Especially is we get some iPad hardware upgrades that can get it to the level of a reasonable laptop within the next few years (although iPhones would still probably have to be their own iOS).

Elfin
2011-01-05, 10:58 PM
Congratulations - iPads really are fantastic.

Flickerdart
2011-01-05, 11:38 PM
If you want a tablet, pick up a Fujitsu t2010 or t2020. They're several years old by now so the price should be reasonable, and with the expanded battery they have a monstrous battery life (something like 11 hours). They're also pretty light, but trade away an internal DVD drive for the pleasure. You could get a larger tablet and a modular battery if that was really a concern. If you want a slate instead, the HP TC1100 is a much older (2001 or so, I believe) model that has a monitor detachable from the rest. As far as I know it would be capable of running Photoshop (since even CS4 doesn't have that large system requirements, though maybe it's worse with CS5). Though honestly, Autodesk Sketchbook Pro is better for drawing.

On the topic of iPads...I've handled one at a store. They strike me as a horrible screen size, too big to fit into a pocket (in fact, I think it's just over the width of my coat's inside pocket) yet too small to have a decent resolution without making everything far too cramped. I guess it's fine if you carry around a purse or something, but it doesn't really do anything in the field that a smartphone can't at half the price and a quarter the size.

turkishproverb
2011-01-05, 11:54 PM
oh yea? Well...

I GOT A 4! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0090.html)

Seriously though, congrats.

THAC0
2011-01-06, 12:59 AM
I'd recommend setting up a Kindle account (you don't have to buy a Kindle IIRC, although my mom has one so I could be wrong) and getting the Kindle app, because Amazon has a better library than iBooks right now.

This is correct, you do not need an actual kindle to use the kindle apps. I read kindle books on my ipod for a while before actually purchasing a kindle.

grimbold
2011-01-06, 11:27 AM
*dies of envy*

riccaru
2011-01-06, 05:09 PM
Not sure. I don't know if you could get a pencil-shaped object to work on one. Like I said, just got the IPad.

EDIT: Ninja'd

the way the Idevice screens are, a normal stylus won't work. Something about electrons and such. There are, however, specialty styluses (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/a31f/) designed for the electron whatevers. Thinkgeek.com sells these and a fairly nifty bluetooth keyboard/ipad case combo. (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/e65a/)

:smallamused:That's why you should go with a linux based tablet PC. I've never actually used it, but Archos has a 9 inch tablet that runs on linux, and doesn't have the electron thing. Just telling everyone some Ipad alternatives.

Keld Denar
2011-01-06, 05:27 PM
Screw bluetooth keyboards, I wanna get one of those keyboards that's basically just light projected on whatever surface you happen to be on, yet registers all of the keystrokes. That would be truely badass.

Ladyfriend: Why are you touching my bewbies?
Me: Hold still, I'm trying to write my book report!

riccaru
2011-01-06, 05:44 PM
Screw bluetooth keyboards, I wanna get one of those keyboards that's basically just light projected on whatever surface you happen to be on, yet registers all of the keystrokes. That would be truely badass.

Ladyfriend: Why are you touching my bewbies?
Me: Hold still, I'm trying to write my book report!

Still bluetooth, and thinkgeek's got it. (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/8193/) Oh thinkgeek. how did I ever survive without the warm embrace of your amazing and slightly impractical gadgets?

If you have issues with self control, don't go to that website. You'll go broke:smallwink:

Flickerdart
2011-01-06, 11:57 PM
Still bluetooth, and thinkgeek's got it. (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/8193/) Oh thinkgeek. how did I ever survive without the warm embrace of your amazing and slightly impractical gadgets?

If you have issues with self control, don't go to that website. You'll go broke:smallwink:
2 hour battery life? That's pitiful. :smallfrown:

riccaru
2011-01-07, 12:22 AM
2 hour battery life? That's pitiful. :smallfrown:

he said he wanted it. not me.