PDA

View Full Version : (any) The hall of monsters that did not exist.

Ilmryn
2011-01-04, 07:35 PM
Since the previous thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179737) was a fail, it's being restarted with a bit more clarification.

Natural 1s can give interesting results. Some of my players decided to start the hall of monsters that did not exist from the result of bothced sense rolls and knowledge checks. Does anyone else have stories in line with the following?

1- The "Poisonous" Darkmantle created by a knowledge critical failure
2- The laughing Baboon created by a natural 1 on listen.

3-Misses in my game have frequently hit and killed invisible spiders...

gbprime
2011-01-04, 07:45 PM
4 - Ghosts

My cleric with Spirit Sense feat spotted and destroyed several ghosts before they manifested. He could not convince the party he had actually done anything. :smallfrown:

The Glyphstone
2011-01-04, 07:48 PM
Not really D&D related, but on the same general train of thought - whenever my gaming group plays Warhammer 40K and an artillery/ordnance weapon scatters its template far enough to completely miss hitting anything, we've concluded that it obliterated a squirrel. Or an ice squirrel, or lava squirrel, or Catachan Barking Squirrel, depending on the terrain being used.

Telonius
2011-01-04, 07:54 PM
One of my gaming groups had running jokes about Drop Bears and "Gnome-satyrs."

Chilingsworth
2011-01-04, 08:58 PM
One of my group's shorter-lived campaigns:

We started a forestfire (I think we were trying to smoke out some baddies, or prevent them from following us, I'm not sure.) The DM then told us we had erradicated a species of tree with golden leaves and a species of lepruchan that crapped platinum.

Ilmryn
2011-01-06, 06:02 PM
He he, some of these are more fun than mine...

Critical failures ca be epic sometimes. :smallbiggrin:

Christopher K.
2011-01-06, 08:22 PM
Well, my little brother(lunarman on the forums) in Encounters yesterday did something along those lines. There were these crystals that amplified elements that struck them, and when the black dragon we were fighting used her breath weapon, clouds of some sort of acid mist elemental appeared and attacked. Lunarman assumed that smashing a crystal with his frost weapon would freeze the cave and help us kill the dragon. He rolled my d20(which I swear is bipolar) and got a natural 20. Combined with relevant modifiers, he got a 32 on his check. Our DM looked up, and said "ohhh, I wish you hadn't done that." Frost elementals appeared from every crystal and attacked whatever was closest.

Asheram
2011-01-06, 08:29 PM
There's always the classical pink elephants, and then the more shocking one as
"You see a Grue" (the classical kind)

IronWilliam
2011-01-06, 09:04 PM
I'm part of ILmryn's D and D group. If an important attack misses, we say it killed an invisible poisonous spider. Also, we fought the indestructible Kobold of doom, who was completely impossible to kill.

Ilmryn
2011-01-06, 09:28 PM
Also, we fought the indestructible Kobold of doom, who was completely impossible to kill.

:smallconfused:? You've lost me here....

Marillion
2011-01-06, 10:36 PM
*Spot check of 1* "It is completely dark and you begin to panic. Then you realize your eyes are closed. You laugh sheepishly and are too embarrassed to notice anything."

*Failed spot check* "Boy, that sky sure is blue. Hey, that cloud looks like a bunny! Get down from there, silly bunny! You don't belong up there. You're not a bird, you're a bunny!"

Coidzor
2011-01-06, 11:36 PM
That reminds me. Whenever a sensory skill gets a natural 1, characters see, hear, or find Kobolds! or Kobold! as the case might be.

arguskos
2011-01-07, 12:00 AM
Not really D&D related, but on the same general train of thought - whenever my gaming group plays Warhammer 40K and an artillery/ordnance weapon scatters its template far enough to completely miss hitting anything, we've concluded that it obliterated a squirrel. Or an ice squirrel, or lava squirrel, or Catachan Barking Squirrel, depending on the terrain being used.
:eek: I... that... it... woah.

My friends and I created the Catachan Barking Squirrel independently of you guys. :smalleek: We were just talking about 40k lore and someone mentioned Catachan. Another guy said "Catachan, home of the Barking Squirrels, so lethal, hearing them is instant death." We all laughed, and I remembered that story ever since. Small world, eh?

*Failed spot check* "Boy, that sky sure is blue. Hey, that cloud looks like a bunny! Get down from there, silly bunny! You don't belong up there. You're not a bird, you're a bunny!"
You know what? Last 3.5 game I was in, about 6 months ago, one of the players was famous for failing Spot checks and tending to see the sky instead of something else. And, in no less than TWO plot-critical encounters, the clouds were of immense relevance. He actually started making Spot checks against the sky after awhile, and the DM decided to play along and put random stuff up there for him. The other PCs thought he was crazy, so we all ignored his random outbursts of "THE SKY IS FULL OF PAIN" and other nonsense.