PDA

View Full Version : The Agent: An OOTS-Style Sci-Fi Webcomic

Zexion
2011-01-04, 09:18 PM
CURRENT COMIC: #4 DE-EMOTIVATIONAL PROBLEMS
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1643/004wb.png
ARCHIVE
#1 The Ominous Clicking Noise (http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8638/001jl.png)
#2 Electroshot Therapy (http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5360/002ia.png)
#3 Are You Surprised He Has A Face? (http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7180/003nck.png)
#4 De-Emotivational Problems (http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1643/004wb.png)
Please critique!

Domochevsky
2011-01-05, 12:11 PM
Well, it's red/green and silhouetted. Can't say much else from just one page. :smallsmile:

Zexion
2011-01-05, 12:14 PM
Well, it's red/green and silhouetted. Can't say much else from just one page. :smallsmile:
True...
New comic will be up within 12 hours, though! :smallsmile:

leakingpen
2011-01-05, 12:34 PM
You have my interest, thread subscribed!

Zexion
2011-01-05, 08:03 PM
New comic's up!
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5360/002ia.png

M@XWeru
2011-01-05, 09:21 PM
I'm gonna be honest wiv' ya - I think it'd have been better without all the silhouetting going on.

Unless the whole comic is gonna be like that, which I admit would be something new.

Zexion
2011-01-05, 09:30 PM
I'm gonna be honest wiv' ya - I think it'd have been better without all the silhouetting going on.

Unless the whole comic is gonna be like that, which I admit would be something new.
It isn't all going to be like that. This is just to keep the question of "who is this mystery person and why is he shooting a bunch of people in a dark room" unanswered until the context is shown. It would probably be better if someone was reading the entire plot in one go, but then again, I don't have time-travel abilities. :smalltongue:
The silhouetting will end soon, though, if that's what you're wondering. This was also to pay homage to an awesome scene from a certain sci-fi action film... :smallbiggrin:

Domochevsky
2011-01-05, 10:23 PM
Second thought: Can't see sh*t!

Page 2 may be a tad too dark/undefined. (Not even the panel borders are visible.) >_>

Zexion
2011-01-05, 10:34 PM
Second thought: Can't see sh*t!

Page 2 may be a tad too dark/undefined. (Not even the panel borders are visible.) >_>
Really? It looks pretty good on my screen... :smallconfused:

Domochevsky
2011-01-05, 11:07 PM
Black on Grey(RGB 10) is utterly impossible to distinguish on a halfway bright monitor. You should make that at least RGB 30. :/

Zexion
2011-01-05, 11:17 PM
Black on Grey(RGB 10) is utterly impossible to distinguish on a halfway bright monitor. You should make that at least RGB 30. :/
It should be fixed now.

smuchmuch
2011-01-06, 12:01 AM
Hum, I'm sorry but there's something that just doesn't work for me here.
A gunfight is something that I'd normaly associate with something of an action sequence, but this just look pretty, well, dull.
(As well as somewhat harshing my suspension of disbielief a little; so . Even if all his oponenent graduated with fflying colors from the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ImperialStormtrooperMarksmanshipAcademy), he should have looked like he was at least trying to doge a little or just move out of the way a bit.)

While I understand that having your character standing straight in the middle of incoming gunfire is pretty badass, unless there's a very good reason (maybe he's got a bullet deflecting shield we don't see or something like that, but then i'd recomend giving a little hint in the drawing like showing one of the bullet trafectory bending slightly) or something really character defining in that stance, may I suggest you try using more different poses or maybe shifitng angles and foccuss a little more, in order to make future action sequences somewhat more dynamic ?

edit: Ah okay, then it make sense, my bad.

Zexion
2011-01-06, 12:07 AM
Hum, I'm sorry but there's something that just doesn't work here.
A gunfight is something that I'd normaly associate with something of an action sequence, but this just look pretty, well, dull.
(As well as somewhat harshing my suspension of disbielief a little. Even if all his oponenent graduated with fflying colors from the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ImperialStormtrooperMarksmanshipAcademy), he should have looked like he was at least trying to doge a little or just move a bit.)

While I understand that having your character standing straight in the middle of incoming gunfire is pretty badass, unless there's a very good reason or something really character defining in that, may I suggest you try using more different poses and angle in order to make future action sequences somewhat more dynamic ?
Believe me, I know all about the Imperial Stormtrooper Marskmanship Academy (I could probably be called a TvTropes addict, in fact), and pretty soon in the comic you'll find that it's justified (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Justifiedtrope).
And the dullness is... kind of justified. The scene is playing out from the emotional perspective of the silhouette-that-I-am-telling-you-is-the-main-character.

Domochevsky
2011-01-06, 12:29 AM
From the emotional perspective, hm? That will require some explanation in-comic. (Some detached narration going on from the main character during the shoot-out mayhaps.)

Zexion
2011-01-06, 12:31 AM
From the emotional perspective, hm? That will require some explanation in-comic. (Some detached narration going on from the main character during the shoot-out mayhaps.)
Well, not entirely the emotional perspective. The idea is that the main character considered it impossible for him to fail the test, and therefore wasn't stressed about it at all. Does that make sense?

leakingpen
2011-01-06, 01:08 AM
so, this is a memory we are watching?

Domochevsky
2011-01-06, 11:56 AM
Yeah, a caption of sorts is definitely needed, since you can't always stand next to the reader and explain whats going on. :smallsmile:

BRC
2011-01-06, 12:01 PM
a lesson I learned the hard way is to never assume the reader is going to read anything but the comics. Explanations in the discussion thread, extra infodumps, ect are all good, but if people need to read the thread itself to understand whats going on in the comic, then your doing it wrong.

Zexion
2011-01-06, 01:05 PM
a lesson I learned the hard way is to never assume the reader is going to read anything but the comics. Explanations in the discussion thread, extra infodumps, ect are all good, but if people need to read the thread itself to understand whats going on in the comic, then your doing it wrong.
Which is why there's an infodump coming up soon in the comic. Right now, there's an air of mystery around the whole plot/world/characters, that will soon be dispelled.

Fin
2011-01-06, 02:42 PM
Although I would normally agree with the idea of the character at least dodging bullets in order to avoid the swiss cheese effect, I have seen the movie Equillibrium. So I say the scene should be exactly as it is drawn :smallwink:

Zexion
2011-01-06, 03:31 PM
Although I would normally agree with the idea of the character at least dodging bullets in order to avoid the swiss cheese effect, I have seen the movie Equillibrium. So I say the scene should be exactly as it is drawn :smallwink:
Equilibrium is one of the sources of inspiration for this comic. But I always thought the explanation in Equilibrium was stretching the Suspension of Disbelief, so I have a new explanation...

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-07, 12:36 PM
outstanding!

subscribed!

Zexion
2011-01-09, 01:21 AM
New comic's up! And thank you, Darius Macab! :smallsmile:

EDIT: This was a partial infodump, and the next few comics will contain more info-dumps. The current lack of information is ALL PART OF THE PLAN... :smalleek::smallbiggrin:

M@XWeru
2011-01-09, 07:50 AM
MIB chairs. O:

Ninjaman
2011-01-09, 08:22 AM
This could be a good comic

smuchmuch
2011-01-09, 11:50 AM
Is that the Matrix ?

Domochevsky
2011-01-09, 01:05 PM
Looks like the Matrix. Also, why does everyone have a constant smile on their face? >_>

Zexion
2011-01-09, 02:00 PM
Looks like the Matrix. Also, why does everyone have a constant smile on their face? >_>
The Agents from the Matrix were sort of the inspiration for these characters, with a few modifications of my own. All I can tell you is "Don't expect them all to be in MIB suits."
And they aren't all smiling. You can see that Agent Thomson gets more and more pissed off as Agent Samuels cheerfully ribs him.

Domochevsky
2011-01-09, 02:55 PM
The Agents from the Matrix were sort of the inspiration for these characters, with a few modifications of my own. All I can tell you is "Don't expect them all to be in MIB suits."
And they aren't all smiling. You can see that Agent Thomson gets more and more pissed off as Agent Samuels cheerfully ribs him.

Except that their mouths are in "smiling" position in all panels. It makes for some odd contrast with their actual actions.

Zexion
2011-01-09, 03:02 PM
Except that their mouths are in "smiling" position in all panels. It makes for some odd contrast with their actual actions.
The way it looks to me, in panels 7, 8, and 9, Thomson's mouth is not in a smiling position, it actually looks like more of a neutral, maybe slightly grimacing mouth shape... :smallconfused:

EDIT: See how the rightmost corner tips downwards? That's what I mean.

M@XWeru
2011-01-09, 03:20 PM
I too have to agree that they look like they're smiling all the time. I would also suggest you make the eyebrows shorter and without the rounded edges - it might just be me, but I think those look kind of strange.

Zexion
2011-01-09, 03:30 PM
I too have to agree that they look like they're smiling all the time. I would also suggest you make the eyebrows shorter and without the rounded edges - it might just be me, but I think those looks kind of strange.
I thought the rounded edges contributed to making the comic look less blocky, but okay, I'll try that out.
And the guy with the silver "S" on his shirt is supposed to be smiling, just to clear that up.

Domochevsky
2011-01-09, 06:51 PM
And the guy with the silver "S" on his shirt is supposed to be smiling, just to clear that up.

Y'know... i can't help but notice that you aren't acknowledging the issue; instead opting for "explaining things away". You may want to get a hold of that. :smallconfused:

Zexion
2011-01-09, 07:10 PM
Y'know... i can't help but notice that you aren't acknowledging the issue; instead opting for "explaining things away". You may want to get a hold of that. :smallconfused:
That's just the facade I present online. :smallbiggrin:

Good point. I'll try to work on changing that. :smalltongue:

leakingpen
2011-01-10, 10:17 AM
hmmm, you got me hooked.

leakingpen
2011-01-10, 01:06 PM
I dunno, it looks like the sarcastic half smile Smith always wears in the matrix. A blank automatic look, the eyebrows being the real teller. I had no issue, using the eyebrows, to determine what emotions were used. and they looked more like , well, open talking mouths, then any kind of an expression.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-10, 06:00 PM
i like it, it is a lot like the agents and their fixed facial expressions. just watch the eyebrows and they give you all the info you need.

GreenMuffin
2011-01-11, 08:57 PM
The way it looks to me, in panels 7, 8, and 9, Thomson's mouth is not in a smiling position, it actually looks like more of a neutral, maybe slightly grimacing mouth shape... :smallconfused:

EDIT: See how the rightmost corner tips downwards? That's what I mean.

If you reference actual OOTS style, you'll notice that smiles are different. For example, in the most recent comic (767 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0767.html)), you'll notice that in panel 2, Elan is smiling, while Haley is not. If you put all their faces in the "smiling" position, it's going to confuse people.

leakingpen
2011-01-12, 12:28 PM
If you reference actual OOTS style, you'll notice that smiles are different. For example, in the most recent comic (767 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0767.html)), you'll notice that in panel 2, Elan is smiling, while Haley is not. If you put all their faces in the "smiling" position, it's going to confuse people.

Im not sure what you are using to reference "smiling position" here. The main difference that i can see is that the outside edge of the open mouth cuts straight down on Elan's mouth, whereas its more of a PacMan shape on Haley's. In which case, the agent's mouths ALL fit haley's non smile, not Elan's smile. In addition, the agents have mouths with a bit more curve along the top lip, curved up seems a smile, curved down seems not a smile. I just don't see it, myself.

leakingpen
2011-01-21, 11:30 AM
Bubb, Why So Serious?

(sorry, with all the smile talk , it seemed appropriate.

Zexion
2011-01-21, 11:45 AM
Please don't be dead,this looks cool!
This isn't entirely dead, this is merely on... extended leave. You see, I have four major projects due in the next two weeks, and have been working on those projects. I will try to have a new comic up within the week, though. :smallsmile:

Zexion
2011-01-22, 02:00 AM
Okay, this is really late, but it's finally complete!
004: DE-EMOTIVATIONAL PROBLEMS
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1643/004wb.png
EDIT: And now I shall sleep... :smallsigh:

Ninjaman
2011-01-22, 02:52 AM
Whoo i thought it died, this day rocks!

Evil Mustache
2011-01-22, 05:08 AM
Heh. Irate avians. Nice one. :smallsmile: Neat little comic, can't wait to see further plot develop.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-22, 09:41 PM
this (the above comic #4) makes no sense to me, can someone explain it?

super dark33
2011-01-28, 03:45 PM
after the 3 cycals, he got lewis back. since lewis lost is memory, he doesnt know wat a gun or the outer missing files are, so hes running away and jumping off the window

Zexion
2011-01-28, 04:10 PM
after the 3 cycals, he got lewis back. since lewis lost is memory, he doesnt know wat a gun or the outer missing files are, so hes running away and jumping off the window
Bingo. Unfortunately school and other engagements have reduced my free time to practically zero, so this comic is on an indefinite hiatus.

leakingpen
2011-01-28, 06:06 PM
Ahh. I was thinking that the missing memory guy was the first agent, sent after Lewis, who has now ALSO lost his memory, my bad.

Hawkfrost000
2011-01-28, 07:33 PM
ahhhhh

thx

DM

fizzybobnewt
2011-01-28, 08:47 PM
As I see it, the difference between oots style smiling and... Other is that the left of the mouth (with the speaker looking right) is curved for Other and the top is entirely flat when they're smiling.

Ninjaman
2011-01-30, 01:10 PM
Bingo. Unfortunately school and other engagements have reduced my free time to practically zero, so this comic is on an indefinite hiatus.

NOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo.........

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-08, 06:25 PM
Must. Keep. Alive.

Pretty good by the way.

Lemonus
2011-03-25, 09:10 PM
This is cool! Please make more!

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-07, 08:16 PM
This is cool! Please make more!

Yes, make more. It's quite good.

Doorhandle
2011-06-01, 11:23 PM
I just realized he was playing angry birds in the background.

That is hands down the best background gag I have seen.

On another note, if you return to this comic, can you make each agent more distinct?

Zexion
2011-06-02, 12:54 AM
I just realized he was playing angry birds in the background.

That is hands down the best background gag I have seen.

On another note, if you return to this comic, can you make each agent more distinct?
Why thank you. Both for the compliment, and for making me realize how long Angry Birds has remained popular... :smalleek:

Why the spoiler tags?
And yes, if I do, I will most certainly make them look more distinct. Summer holidays are coming up, which means lots of free time, so there's a pretty good chance that I'll reboot this whole thing in spirit. Maybe with a few alterations, but that's for me to know, and you to find out. :smallamused:

Doorhandle
2011-06-02, 04:53 AM
::smallbiggrin:!

Ninjaman
2011-06-03, 01:42 PM
Why thank you. Both for the compliment, and for making me realize how long Angry Birds has remained popular... :smalleek:

Why the spoiler tags?
And yes, if I do, I will most certainly make them look more distinct. Summer holidays are coming up, which means lots of free time, so there's a pretty good chance that I'll reboot this whole thing in spirit. Maybe with a few alterations, but that's for me to know, and you to find out. :smallamused:

Yay! YAYYAYYAY