PDA

View Full Version : 8-Bit Avatarist - The Beginning!

Ohmyani
2011-01-04, 09:19 PM
I'd like to get into becoming one of the many avatarists, but I can't just show up in the request an Avvie thread and deliver a random mess to some unfortunate soul. So! I request the help of this forum!

What I'd like is for people to request simple-ish avatars for me to do in an 8-bit style. If you like it, you can use it as a your avatar too! If not, then you can tell me what I've done wrong and how I can improve. Thanks in advance!

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-04, 09:54 PM
I'd like to get into becoming one of the many avatarists, but I can't just show up in the request an Avvie thread and deliver a random mess to some unfortunate soul. So! I request the help of this forum!

What I'd like is for people to request simple-ish avatars for me to do in an 8-bit style. If you like it, you can use it as a your avatar too! If not, then you can tell me what I've done wrong and how I can improve. Thanks in advance!

You do know the request thread is for OoTS Style avatars, don't you?

And what type of 8-bit art, I've seen from NES era to things that are still 8-bit art but have shading and 3d-esque effects. Kind like OoTS art in the sense of variety.

Ohmyani
2011-01-04, 09:59 PM
What I was thinking was doing 8-bit versions of an OOTS style. An iunno... I'd just attempt to make it look good!

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-04, 10:00 PM
What I was thinking was doing 8-bit versions of an OOTS style. An iunno... I'd just attempt to make it look good!

I want to see how it looks like.
I would like to request a 8-bit style of my current avatar, a Female Pixie Paladin

Saint Nil
2011-01-04, 10:06 PM
Hmm, this is interesting. Also, it is always good to help others practice. When you find time, I would appreciate it if you would 8-Bit this avatar.

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/1636071/Preist1.png

I'll be glad to offer feedback. This is a good idea though. More amateur avatarists should try to find ways to practice like this. Perhaps a practice thread will be made one day. :smallsmile:

Emperor Ing
2011-01-04, 10:13 PM
Hmm, this is interesting. Also, it is always good to help others practice. When you find time, I would appreciate it if you would 8-Bit this avatar.

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/1636071/Preist1.png

I'll be glad to offer feedback. This is a good idea though. More amateur avatarists should try to find ways to practice like this. Perhaps a practice thread will be made one day. :smallsmile:

I've been doing 8-bit pixel-art for a while (but nobody would know because no-one ever asks :smallsigh:) i'll take this one.

Saint Nil
2011-01-04, 10:15 PM
Thank you. This was more to help him practice, but hey, the more avatars the better!:smallbiggrin:

Ohmyani
2011-01-04, 10:17 PM
Y'know, I wouldn't really mind turning this into a thread for people to attempt 8-bit versions of avvies. Be kinda cool!

Do you think I should make a thread for people to practice avatars as well?

EDIT: Oh, and I'll get started on your avatar tonight *August :smallsmile:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-04, 10:20 PM
Y'know, I wouldn't really mind turning this into a thread for people to attempt 8-bit versions of avvies. Be kinda cool!

Do you think I should make a thread for people to practice avatars as well?

EDIT: Oh, and I'll get started on your avatar tonight arave :smallsmile:

Thanks, and please don't abbreviate my username like that, it's and anagram so it kinda losses its purpose when abreviated.

Saint Nil
2011-01-04, 10:24 PM
But it says right in your signature that you abbreviate it for me.:smalltongue:

Ohmyani
2011-01-04, 10:34 PM
Oh, didn't see that, haha. Fix'd.

Emperor Ing
2011-01-04, 11:01 PM
Ohaithar. Mr. Nil?

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/EmperorIng/8bitnil-1.png

TRUST me, it looks better with the black background.

Questions? Comments? Critique? Changes?

Domochevsky
2011-01-04, 11:12 PM
You could easily fit another color in there for some basic shading. :smallbiggrin:

-skimmer-
2011-01-04, 11:48 PM
Is there any good tutorial for 8-bit pixelart? I always wanted to give it a try but my attempts were...horrible to say the least....

Emperor Ing
2011-01-04, 11:57 PM
8 bit is 3 colors (black and white do not count.) There will be no unnecessary saturation/value changes unless I have an extra color.

For 8-bit I use MSPaint. Windows 7 MSPaint is absolutely awful, trust me. That's not to say it's totally unusable. All you really need is a good eye and squares. Basically, 8-bit art is arranging a lot of small squares that come in 3 different colors to look like objects/characters/whatever.

Domochevsky
2011-01-05, 12:09 AM
Oh? Huh, i thought 8 bit had more colors than that. At least 16 or somesuch. :smallconfused:

Ohmyani
2011-01-05, 12:11 AM
Nope! That's 16-bit, I believe. :smallwink:

Trazoi
2011-01-05, 12:29 AM
Oh? Huh, i thought 8 bit had more colors than that. At least 16 or somesuch. :smallconfused:
If we're discussing 8 bit game system sprites then they usually had some severe restrictions on the number of colours they could use for hardware sprites. I think the NES had a palette of around 56 colours or so, but the sprites could only have 4 unique colours each. And "transparent" counts as a colour so that leaves three for the parts you can see. For example the NES Mario sprite only has red, pink/orange, and brown.

Ohmyani
2011-01-05, 12:46 AM
Okay! I'm starting your avvie now August! Don't expect it to be done immediately though, or even today. I'm making a through job of this. And it's going to be higher-res that 8-bit... I think you might as well just call it bit art.

EDIT: Oh, and what are those things that she is holding? I can't make em out xD

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-05, 01:45 AM
Okay! I'm starting your avvie now August! Don't expect it to be done immediately though, or even today. I'm making a through job of this. And it's going to be higher-res that 8-bit... I think you might as well just call it bit art.

EDIT: Oh, and what are those things that she is holding? I can't make em out xD

The one on her right hand is a sword shaped like a pistil
http://wellreadhostess.com/wp-content/images/flower.gif
It's the plants female reproductive part and the weird thing at the center of this picture, only instead of the traditional exit it's point shaped.

The one on her left is a shield/sword, its wide at the upper part but becomes a point rather curvedly at the bottom, it is strapped to her arm.

And thanks for the attention to deatils and the time spent.

Can hardly wait for it.

Saint Nil
2011-01-05, 10:08 AM
This is excellent! Thank you Randomizer.

Truthfully, I have no complaints. Normally I have one or two edits I'd add, but this is good.:smallsmile:

Domochevsky
2011-01-05, 12:09 PM
Nope! That's 16-bit, I believe. :smallwink:

Wouldn't that mean that 8bit had 8 colors to work with then? :smallwink:

Trazoi, interesting. Was it then the SNES that allowed for more colors/bits?

leakingpen
2011-01-05, 12:51 PM
no, the extra bits are multiplicative, not additive.

Fin
2011-01-05, 01:40 PM
Ooh ooh ook! Pick me, pick me! Can I have my current Monkeytar 8-pixeled? I don't mind if that means changing it's style seeing as it is not currently OotS.

Thanks in advance

Trazoi
2011-01-05, 06:10 PM
Trazoi, interesting. Was it then the SNES that allowed for more colors/bits?
I'm no expert. The furthest back I've gone with colour restrictions is some hobby projects in VGA. There's a Wikipedia page on video game palettes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_palettes) that I sometimes check when I'm curious about what colours old consoles could ouptut.

A brief check suggests the SNES used 4 bits for hardware sprites, meaning 16 colours per sprite (15 if one is transparent). Of course back then a lot of consoles had really funky hardware modes that allowed clever engineers to break that, but if you were going for a SNES RPG look I'd stick to no more than 15.

Ohmyani
2011-01-05, 09:37 PM
I'm sorry August, something unexpected came up and I won't be able to work on your avatar for at least a couple of days. If you want you can get someone else to do it, or just wait for me. Dx

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-05, 10:08 PM
I'm sorry August, something unexpected came up and I won't be able to work on your avatar for at least a couple of days. If you want you can get someone else to do it, or just wait for me. Dx

Don't worry about it, you can finish whenever you want and PM it to me.