PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Domains

Master Thrower
2011-01-04, 09:19 PM
Im a currently being a cleric of farhlangan. im thinking of taking the travel domain and the luck domain. any other good domains?

Tvtyrant
2011-01-04, 09:30 PM
Travel is one of the best domains in the game, and luck is good as well.

The best core ones IMO are:
Magic Domain~The special ability grants you UMD like powers. Also good spells.
Trickery Domain~Gets you Time Stop and Polymorph and Object.
Travel Domain~Teleport, Fly, Greater Teleport, and a great ability.
Luck~ Good ability, a lot of its spells you already know.
Knowledge~Lots of Divination spells and all knowledge types as class skills.
Earth Domain~Ability sucks, but the spells have synergy, especially Iron Body.

The others have some good points, but they aren't anything to write home about in a generic campaign. Domains are somewhat hard to judge, as you have to balance how good the ability/spells are with how accessible they are without wasting a domain. So Healing Domain is kinda useless, because you can already cast healing spontaneously, and +1 isn't amazing, even at level 1. Destruction's ability sucks but you get a few good SoDs and they don't take up normal slot space this way. Harm and Disintegrate are almost always useful, while Animate Objects from Chaos isn't going to get much use.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-04, 09:34 PM
What sort of cleric build are you planning on going with? I can give you advice based on that.

Gullintanni
2011-01-04, 09:39 PM
If you're going DMM, weasling into the Planning domain is awesome. It has Time Stop as a 9th level spell, and offers Extend Spell as a free bonus feat. Otherwise, it really does depend on your build.

I'm building a counterspelling/debuff cleric, so the Inquisition Domain with its +4 to dispel checks was a natural pick.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-01-04, 09:46 PM
If you want devotions Strength, Knowledge and Travel Devotions are some of, if not, the best ones IMO. I like the Time domain because is grants Improved Initiative and has good spells.

Master Thrower
2011-01-04, 10:04 PM
I'm playing a master of shrouds. Im not looking to use DMM. And as a cleric worshiping a deity cant i only take ones offered by my deity?

gbprime
2011-01-04, 10:29 PM
A master of shrouds of the travel god? How's THAT work?

Anyway, if you're looking for Fharlagan's domains only, Celerity is okay for Haste and Time Stop, but if you have an arcane caster in the group, they can probably do Haste better.

His domains would allow you to pick up Protection Devotion, though. That allows you to spend turn undead to give all your friends a sacred bonus to AC.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-05, 07:07 AM
Im a currently being a cleric of farhlangan. im thinking of taking the travel domain and the luck domain. any other good domains?
Here are your options:

Celerity
Luck
Protection
Travel
Weather
That's the whole list, as far as I know; the portfolio is the same in Complete Divine and the Living Greyhawk Official Listing of Deities. I like Celerity for the +10' boost to your land speed. Weather domain (Eberron Campaign Setting, page 108) is interesting if your DM likes to use lots of weather that impedes visibility: the domain granted power will let you see perfectly in a heavy blizzard!