PDA

View Full Version : Can you take 10 on heal checks to treat a disease? (4e)

Mystic Muse
2011-01-04, 09:22 PM
I'm asking so that maybe my group has a slightly lesser chance of having a TPK this saturday. I can't see anything in my PHB against it, but I figured the playground would know better than I. I'm not sure how outdated my PHB is.

mobdrazhar
2011-01-04, 09:45 PM
i believe that they can provided they have the time to do it.

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-04, 09:47 PM
Meaning: are you willing to spend 10 rounds in an encounter doing nothing else than an unrolled heal check. In my book, taking ten means it takes ten times as long and you can't be distracted.

But it depends on the disease, you may need a ritual.

Mystic Muse
2011-01-04, 09:49 PM
Meaning: are you willing to spend 10 rounds in an encounter doing nothing else than an unrolled heal check. In my book, taking ten means it takes ten times as long and you can't be distracted.

But it depends on the disease, you may need a ritual.

This is actually at the end of an extended rest to prevent the disease progressing. We unfortunately have no way to get a disease curing ritual short of going back to town, and I was under the impression that wasn't an option.

mobdrazhar
2011-01-04, 09:52 PM
you're thinking the endurance check... i don't believe you can take 10 on that as it's basically a "saving throw"

Mystic Muse
2011-01-04, 10:14 PM
you're thinking the endurance check... i don't believe you can take 10 on that as it's basically a "saving throw"

Really? That kind of sucks. Unless I can use divine mettle on it in which case it sucks less

Numinous
2011-01-05, 01:02 AM
Yes you can, unless your DM rules that this is not a "mundane task".

dgnslyr
2011-01-05, 01:05 AM
Is there anything truly "mundane" about the adventures of heroes? :smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2011-01-05, 04:28 AM

By RAW, that isn't the case: taking 10 has always cost as much time as rolling normally does; taking twenty is the one that takes more time (because it essentially means "keep rolling repeatedly until you get a 20"). Also, taking 20 doesn't exist in 4E.