PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Microsoft Word

Dr.Epic
2011-01-04, 11:43 PM
So, not too long ago I had a nasty virus (some of you may remember the thread) and I had to use my recovery CD to reboot the entire computer. This meant that many of the programs had to be reinstalled and microsoft word needs me to enter the computer's Product Key. I know where the product key is but for some reason it doesn't work. I had to go out and buy a installation disc for word and that came with a Product Key that did work. Problem is, I have since lost that Product Key and (I once had to reboot my computer before) so I know that one does work. I'm wondering how I can get around this. Can I download mircosoft word or a similar program? I just want to have a program I can type documents in that isn't something like notepad or using the text option in photoshop.

Zexion
2011-01-04, 11:57 PM
OpenOffice. It's crude, and very irritating, but it's free, and capable of editing all of your Word files. :smallsmile:

factotum
2011-01-05, 02:27 AM
Just don't expect OpenOffice Writer to handle tables very well when importing or saving to Word formats...

Runestar
2011-01-05, 02:53 AM
Found this program, which might be of help.

The freeware version can detect up to office2003.

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Alternatively, try calling MS headquarters and asking them for the key. If you have the CD, you should be able to prove that you have a legit copy.

Savannah
2011-01-05, 04:50 PM
I'd contact Microsoft and explain the situation. As Runestar said, you have the CD to show you've purchased it. I'd also write down the key in two or three different places when you get it fixed :smallwink:

Dr.Epic
2011-01-05, 05:04 PM
I'd contact Microsoft and explain the situation. As Runestar said, you have the CD to show you've purchased it. I'd also write down the key in two or three different places when you get it fixed :smallwink:

I did that when I first got the computer and the product key didn't work. They told me to go out and buy an installation CD. I'll try that again and see what happens.

Balain
2011-01-22, 02:06 AM
I would call microsoft. I've had to do it a couple times for windows and office to get new activation numbers. It wasn't really a problem. If they gave you a problem it could have just been that one guy.