PDA

View Full Version : Orbs and antimagic

Salbazier
2011-01-05, 07:21 AM
Pretty sure it's been discussed before, but how does the Orb of line of spells inetract with AMF? How about Creation spells in general?

EDIT: Sorry, wrong forum. Please move it.

SMEE
2011-01-05, 07:50 AM
The Rainbow mod: Thread moved.

hamishspence
2011-01-05, 07:51 AM
Pretty sure it's been discussed before, but how does the Orb of line of spells inetract with AMF? How about Creation spells in general?

Conjured matter counts as nonmagical so doesn't "blink out"- so a Wall of Iron, or an Orb, would still exist. The spell can't be cast in the field itself- but the orbs can be fired into the field and still exist.

Eldan
2011-01-05, 07:56 AM
Which, as a side note, is especially silly with force spells: it's perfectly normal, non-magical pure magic force.

Yora
2011-01-05, 08:25 AM
Orbs are a silly idea. Always seem to me as if someone realized there are situations in which wizard is not the best class do deal with something. So they fixed that.

Salbazier
2011-01-05, 08:27 AM
How about sphere of ultimate destruction?

Psyren
2011-01-05, 08:43 AM
Conjured matter counts as nonmagical so doesn't "blink out"- so a Wall of Iron, or an Orb, would still exist. The spell can't be cast in the field itself- but the orbs can be fired into the field and still exist.

To clarify, Instantaneous conjured matter counts as nonmagical. If it has any other duration (even "Permanent") then it is being actively sustained by magic and will therefore wink out.

This is relevant because there are (Calling) and (Creation) effects that have durations, like Planar Exchange and Minor Creation, that will vanish in an AMF. A paladin's mount is another (Calling) effect with a duration.

Salbazier
2011-01-05, 08:48 AM
^Ah, I see. Many thanks, all.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-05, 10:14 AM
To clarify, Instantaneous conjured matter counts as nonmagical. If it has any other duration (even "Permanent") then it is being actively sustained by magic and will therefore wink out.

This is relevant because there are (Calling) and (Creation) effects that have durations, like Planar Exchange and Minor Creation, that will vanish in an AMF. A paladin's mount is another (Calling) effect with a duration.

Thank you Psyren. I had this same argument with someone who told me that conjured items (even ones with durations) would still exist inside an anti-magic zone/field. He said he could cast Minor Creation to create 6 gallons of Black Lotus Poison and dump it into an Anti-Magic zone/field to kill everyone inside.

Yora
2011-01-05, 10:17 AM
If conjured objects and creatures would no longer be affected by magic, they wouldn't vanish at the end of the spells duration and couldn't be dispelled. Everything indicatates that magic is required to maintain their presence.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-06, 09:28 AM
If conjured objects and creatures would no longer be affected by magic, they wouldn't vanish at the end of the spells duration and couldn't be dispelled. Everything indicatates that magic is required to maintain their presence.

That's true except when the duration is instantaneous. Orb spells can't be dispelled, because it's already over.

Yora
2011-01-06, 09:33 AM
That's the loophole the orbs exploit. If it's a valid solution to get around spell resistance and antimagic fields, or just cheap, is open to debate.

Salbazier
2011-01-06, 09:52 AM
Regardless of antimagic, dispelling an orb makes sense as much as dispelling a fireball.

Psyren
2011-01-06, 10:46 AM
I'm a fan of them being low-sentience, highly-volatile elementals. It also explains why you don't need to actually throw them. (i.e. why they are a ranged touch attack rather than a ranged attack.)

Yuki Akuma
2011-01-06, 10:48 AM
Orbs can totally be dispelled - if you ready an action to counterspell with dispel magic. :smallwink:

Psyren
2011-01-06, 10:51 AM
Orbs can totally be dispelled - if you ready an action to counterspell with dispel magic. :smallwink:

I know you're being tongue-in-cheek here, but you're not actually stopping the orb with that; rather, you're stopping the spell that creates it. In other words, at the time you counterspell an orb spell, there is no spoon orb. :smalltongue:

Salbazier
2011-01-06, 10:57 AM

My point exactly. It's the same with fireball :smallamused:

I'm a fan of them being low-sentience, highly-volatile elementals. It also explains why you don't need to actually throw them. (i.e. why they are a ranged touch attack rather than a ranged attack.)

Oh, that's works... But now the mind question the existence of force elemental

hamishspence
2011-01-06, 11:07 AM
Maybe there's an, as yet undiscovered, Plane of Force?

Might be inhabited by various force-based creatures, and ruled by the Force Dragons from Epic Handbook.

Emmerask
2011-01-06, 11:07 AM
I know you're being tongue-in-cheek here, but you're not actually stopping the orb with that; rather, you're stopping the spell that creates it. In other words, at the time you counterspell an orb spell, there is no spoon orb. :smalltongue:

Hm how about fail dispelling a trap that springs into being a wall that then stops an orb of x... okay technically the wall stopped the orb but we donīt want to nitpick :smallwink:

Yuki Akuma
2011-01-06, 11:27 AM
My point exactly. It's the same with fireball :smallamused:

Nope! Orb spells work in antimagic, and fireball doesn't.

Psyren
2011-01-06, 11:32 AM
Maybe there's an, as yet undiscovered, Plane of Force?

Might be inhabited by various force-based creatures, and ruled by the Force Dragons from Epic Handbook.

It could even be where a Maze (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/maze.htm) sends you :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2011-01-06, 11:39 AM
This is an interesting thought.

Hmm- besides the Force Dragon, what would be good monsters for the Plane of Force?

Yuki Akuma
2011-01-06, 11:40 AM
"Force Elementals"? They'd likely have innate invisibility and stuff.

hamishspence
2011-01-06, 11:45 AM
Maybe go with the same set as the Elemental Planes get:

Elementals (from Elementite swarm, to Monolith and Primal Elemental)
Genies
Genasi
Half-elementals
Giants
Force creature template (can be applied to almost any normal creature)
Force Prince of Elemental Evil/Good.

And so on.
The "mazes region" would be a zone on the Plane of Force- but there'd be other zones as well.

Force Dragons are immune to force- and pass through objects made of it like they weren't there. I'm not sure if other Force Creatures should have that ability though.

Urpriest
2011-01-06, 11:49 AM
There are Force Golems...I'm surprised that there aren't Force Elementals, really. There's probably one in a Dragon issue.

hamishspence
2011-01-06, 11:54 AM
If there are, I haven't seen any.

Radiant creature (for the Plane of Radiance) existed in one issue- but not Radiant Elementals.

Some planes don't get as much coverage- even in Dragon.

Though the para-elemental creatures are almost as well covered as the elemental ones if Dragon material is used- monoliths, element-creatures, etc.

Ice seems to get the most- with genies in Frostburn, and a Prince of Elemental Evil in Dragon.

Salbazier
2011-01-06, 01:18 PM
Nope! Orb spells work in antimagic, and fireball doesn't.

I mean the dispell thing...

Force genie, that interesting. Perhaps I should rename the thread? :smalltongue:

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-07, 05:22 PM

While you can use the dispel magic spell to counter a spell being cast, counterspelling isn't actually the same thing as dispelling. You counterspell a spell being cast. You dispel a spell or magical effect that is already in existence.

hamishspence
2011-01-07, 05:26 PM
Force genie, that interesting. Perhaps I should rename the thread? :smalltongue:

I'd be tempted to create a "Plane of Force" thread over in Homebrew- but I lack experience at writing stats and fluff.

Yuki Akuma
2011-01-07, 05:53 PM
While you can use the dispel magic spell to counter a spell being cast, counterspelling isn't actually the same thing as dispelling. You counterspell a spell being cast. You dispel a spell or magical effect that is already in existence.

I know how counterspelling works thank you.

But the assumption is that you counterspell with dispel magic by dispelling the spell as it's cast - which is why you need to make a dispel check.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-07, 11:13 PM
But the assumption is that you counterspell with dispel magic by dispelling the spell as it's cast - which is why you need to make a dispel check.

Okay. But with an instantaneous spell like an Orb, once the magic part has finished there is nothing to dispel. When you counter it like that, you are "dispelling" the magic which brings the Orb into existence; after that the Orb itself can't be dispelled. Once it is flying, it's not dependant on magic anymore.

Psyren
2011-01-07, 11:30 PM
Okay. But with an instantaneous spell like an Orb, once the magic part has finished there is nothing to dispel. When you counter it like that, you are "dispelling" the magic which brings the Orb into existence; after that the Orb itself can't be dispelled. Once it is flying, it's not dependant on magic anymore.

Hey, I picked that nit first dammit! :smallmad::smallmad::smallmad:
Acknowledge my superiority! We're way too into this argument

faceroll
2011-01-07, 11:47 PM
Relevant rules:
(The effects of instantaneous conjurations are not affected by an antimagic field because the conjuration itself is no longer in effect, only its result.)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm

Yuki Akuma
2011-01-08, 05:50 AM
Dear lord, I was being silly!

Grow a sense of humour! :smallmad:

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-08, 06:34 AM
Dear lord, I was being silly!

Grow a sense of humour! :smallmad:

I'm sorry for not being Internet-psychic. :smallamused:

Psyren
2011-01-08, 08:57 AM
I'm sorry for not being Internet-psychic. :smallamused:

You need e-telepathic abilities to interpret a winking smilie now? :smallconfused:
Okay I'm done with this

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-08, 11:47 AM
Winking doesn't always mean it's a joke. He could have been flirting. :smallannoyed::smallwink: