PDA

View Full Version : Post doesn't show

Yora
2011-01-05, 09:36 AM
I got a really strange error right now. I made a post and in the thread list it says "Today 03:31 PM by Yora", but the post doesn't appear in the thread.
When I go to my profile and klick "Find all posts by Yora", my post is listed as my last post with the text I've written. It just doesn't appear in the thread.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10099813#post10099813
This is where my post should be, but it isn't? (At least now. Maybe it appears later, but I thought I report it just in case.)

Neftren
2011-01-05, 09:40 AM
The post appears fine to me. Perhaps try refreshing the page?

hamishspence
2011-01-05, 09:42 AM
It's not working for me. Eldan's post 5 minutes before seems to be the last in the thread.

Yora
2011-01-05, 09:45 AM
Also, the thread always is shown as "Contains new post", even though I opened it and returned to the thread list several times. (Without using "Go back one page.")

Douglas
2011-01-05, 09:47 AM
The post appears fine to me. Perhaps try refreshing the page?
Are you sure it's the post in question, though? Yora has multiple posts in that thread. The post you should be looking for, which I can only find by searching for posts by Yora, says "Sure about that? What about the southern hemisphere?" By the time of the post it should be the current (at the moment) last post in the thread, and it should (on default settings) be the start of the thread's second page.

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-05, 10:04 AM
Also, the thread always is shown as "Contains new post", even though I opened it and returned to the thread list several times. (Without using "Go back one page.")

I've had that a couple of times, PM'd Rawhide and he worked his digital voodoo to fix it.

hamishspence
2011-01-05, 10:07 AM
It works fine now- since I added another comment to the thread.

Yora
2011-01-05, 10:08 AM
Now that hamishspence posted in the thread, mine also appeard where it is supposed to be.

Rockphed
2011-01-05, 11:00 AM
I note that your post was the first post on the second page. Was the thread not showing it had a second page?

hamishspence
2011-01-05, 11:07 AM
Yes- it appeared to be a 1 page thread.

Gullintanni
2011-01-05, 11:07 AM
I've been noticing this too. Occasionally, it seems like there's a delay before a thread is updated with the new post.

Neftren
2011-01-05, 01:44 PM
I dunno. That was the post I saw, definitely. Then again, I have it set to show more posts/threads per page, so that might have been a factor.

Douglas
2011-01-05, 01:57 PM
I dunno. That was the post I saw, definitely. Then again, I have it set to show more posts/threads per page, so that might have been a factor.
Sounds like an off-by-one error in computing when a thread has a second page, then, but I'm sure I've seen pages after the first with only one post on them before and they worked fine. I suppose it could be just for page 2, but I think I've seen lone posts on page 2 too, and typically things like this are consistent. Odd. My memory could be off, I suppose. Should we experiment with getting another thread to exactly 30 posts?

Edit: Found another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181006) that, at the moment, has exactly 1 post on page 2 with default posts per page, and that one's working correctly. Whatever caused this glitch is not consistent based solely on number of posts and posts per page, though the problem was apparently an incorrect calculation of number of pages for the thread.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-05, 04:55 PM
I noticed this the other day when this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10091984&postcount=1320) didn't show up. Since it's lower down on page 44 of that thread it might not be a new page problem.

I think I was able to see it when replying to that thread, even though it didn't appear normally, but I can't be sure since it could have theoretically fixed itself right beforehand when I was reading the page.

NineThePuma
2011-01-06, 02:47 AM
This has happened to me before; try clearing your cache and then reloading the page in question. (I'm not sure if that does anything)

Or just reply. I think you can reply to yourself and then delete the reply to fix it.

Zeb The Troll
2011-01-06, 03:26 AM
I've seen this happen a few times. Most often, when the next person posts it will correct itself. On the odd occasion you'll even see a Mod post at the top of a page saying something like "bug fix post" or something similar. This was because someone noticed the bug and one of us made a post in order to fix it and get things to show up properly again.

Eldan
2011-01-06, 05:24 AM
Ah, yes. That one freaked me out yesterday. I tried cleaning my cache and refreshing half a dozen times to find Yoras invisible answer to my post.

Yora
2011-01-06, 07:16 AM
I also tried cache cleaning, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with that.

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-06, 10:37 AM
I also tried cache cleaning, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with that.

If it's the same thing as mine it's a bug in the site rather than your browser.