PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cloistered Cleric variant--build advice?

Callista
2011-01-05, 10:19 AM
I've been looking for a cleric with more skill points, and this variant seems like exactly what I'm looking for. My character concept is a middle-aged character (not mechanically middle-aged, but close to it) who used to be a village priest/schoolteacher/healer--hey, when your village is Population: 200, you multitask. I'm having the character's deity send them off adventuring to let their protege take over.

So I wanted a cleric type; but the heavy armor and melee combat didn't fit my concept. I seriously considered Favored Soul, but there's still too much combat-focus for my taste. I'd like to be able to support the party--buffing, hampering the enemy, healing if necessary--rather than do the usual "buff up and wade into combat" cleric thing.

We are starting at level 8 and I want to play a Good-aligned human with a deity in the FR pantheon. The personality I have in mind suggests a character heavy on the wisdom, with decent charisma and intelligence making them a natural leader, at least on a small scale. ("Decent" here just has to be above-average, like a 12 or so; this is a 200-person village we're talking about, not exactly New York City.) I'm not sure about male/female yet, but I'll probably default to female just because that's my RL gender and I don't feel strongly about having it either way.

So, questions:
1. Does the Cloistered Cleric fit into my concept?
2. How is this different from playing a normal cleric?
3. Can I avoid the cliche "buff up and start smacking stuff" cleric? We've got a lot of melee people who can hit stuff just fine.
4. 32 point buy. No Divine Metamagic. Any build suggestions?

Greenish
2011-01-05, 10:26 AM
So, questions:
3. Can I avoid the cliche "buff up and start smacking stuff" cleric? We've got a lot of melee people who can hit stuff just fine.
4. 32 point buy. No Divine Metamagic. Any build suggestions?1. Snugly. An archivist might also work, for a more academic bend.
2. Not at all. :smalltongue: There are so many ways to play clerics (since they can do anything), you'd have to define how "normal cleric" plays first.
3. Buff up the other people, then cheer at them. Use debuffs and crowd control, cleric list has some.
4. High wisdom, good constitution. That's all that matters if you don't want to go melee (or archer).

Gullintanni
2011-01-05, 10:34 AM
I've been looking for a cleric with more skill points, and this variant seems like exactly what I'm looking for. My character concept is a middle-aged character (not mechanically middle-aged, but close to it) who used to be a village priest/schoolteacher/healer--hey, when your village is Population: 200, you multitask. I'm having the character's deity send them off adventuring to let their protege take over.

We are starting at level 8 and I want to play a Good-aligned human with a deity in the FR pantheon. The personality I have in mind suggests a character heavy on the wisdom, with decent charisma and intelligence making them a natural leader, at least on a small scale. ("Decent" here just has to be above-average, like a 12 or so; this is a 200-person village we're talking about, not exactly New York City.) I'm not sure about male/female yet, but I'll probably default to female just because that's my RL gender and I don't feel strongly about having it either way.

So, questions:
4. 32 point buy. No Divine Metamagic. Any build suggestions?

1. Snugly. An archivist might also work, for a more academic bend.
2. Not at all. :smalltongue: There are so many ways to play clerics (since they can do anything), you'd have to define how "normal cleric" plays first.
3. Buff up the other people, then cheer at them. Use debuffs and crowd control, cleric list has some.
4. High wisdom, good constitution. That's all that matters if you don't want to go melee (or archer).

I'm AFB right now but Greenish pretty much has it right on all points.
Regarding specific builds, Constitution is always important. Wisdom is actually somewhat passable depending on your build (You can focus on buff/no-save debuffs/healing), but in general higher is better. Charisma is also important, especially given that you want to minor in leadership.

Radiant Servant of Pelor (Substitute any deity with access to the sun domain for Pelor here) gives you full turning and whole suite of options to enhancing your healing. I'm not really sure about spell selection for buffing, but if you're interested in the Debuffing aspect, then the Divine Magician ACF (Complete Mage or Arcane, not sure off hand) lets you drop a domain and pick 1 spell per spell level from the Sorc/Wiz list from the Abjuration/Necromancy/Divination schools. Spells like Ray of Exhaustion, Enervate, and Ray of Enfeeblement provide powerful options that don't allow a saving throw.

Counterspelling is also a unique option for clerics Divine Defiance (Fiendish Codex II) lets you spend a turning attempt to Counterspell as an immediate action. It really comes down to how you want to build. If you want to optimize healing and turning, radiant servant is superb.