PDA

View Full Version : UKitP VIII - Summer MMXI.

Pages : [1] 2

Capt Spanner
2011-01-05, 11:39 AM
The story so far...

1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38035) (though this mentions an earlier one)
2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52714)
3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66784)
4 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87771) Totally DID happen even if only AE went!
5 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112309)
6 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137348) The Archon triumphed over the Hippie
7 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164386)

I thought I'd kick off the thread for the next UKitP meetup. All welcome!

Updated! Again![/B] (And reposted for the new page)

The Cherry Tree,
* 9-11 Oundle Road
* Woodston
* Peterborough
* PE2 9PB

9th July 2011

We have the room effectively from about 11am until we pack up, probably around 10-11pm. There is a buffet, drinks from the bar, enough room for 30+, lots of tables, but no wifi. There is adequate parking and it is less than 10 minutes drive from the railway station, so those of us with cars can collect, or it is comfortably walkable.

Currently, likely cost is looking like £12/head. But this could be less if more people come! More people! Come!

Definitely Coming:
Capt Spanner
Castaras
Crown of Thorns
CurlyKitGirl (+ some?)
Dallas-Dakota + 1
Eldpollard
factotum
Fifty-Eyed Fred
hamishspence
Kobold-Bard
KuReshtin (+1?)
Lensman
Starfish
Tasroth
Thufir
Vuldus

Might be coming:
Archonic Energy
Irbis
Timberwolf
TIPOT
Mal
Nameless

The Jibbers Category
Jibbers
Banjo1985

Has expressed interest, would like to come, but probably won't:

Charity
Glug (+1-2?)
GrlumpTheElder
Heliomance
Jair Barik
Lex-kat
Lix Lorn
randman22222

Hasn't posted in this thread but might still be interested:
Last_resort_33 (+1?)
Lyesmith
potatocubed
Sushi Monster
Vampiric

RPG Sessions
Lensman's Star Wars game (Ku, Cptn. Spanner, Curly, hanishspence, Thufir, Irbis(?)) Note: game was mentioned as full prior to Irbis' post, but depending on his attendance Curly may well cede her spot to allow for others to experience the game. Ku is also willing to step aside for the similar reasoning.

Glug's Burning Wheel Game (GrlumptheElder (although willing to cede to a newbie), Kobold-Bard) - open for more players (Though I'm not sure how many).
(Obviously will only happen if Glug can attend)

Definite Other Games
Fluxx - Cassie, Thufir
Once Upon a Time - Cassie, Thufir
It's Alive! - Ku, Thufir
OotS game (Including the expansion if it's arrived by meetup time) - someone
Monty Python Fluxx - Tasroth
Nuclear War - Ku
Carcassonne - Ku
Puerto Rico - Ku
Carpe Astra - Ku
Dixit - Ku
Chrononauts - Thufir
Munchkin - Ku
Super Munchkin - Ku
Kubb (May actually be possible to play it this time!) - Ku
Bonhanza - Ku

Possible Other GamesSwedish copy of Monopoly, for the Gits and Shiggles, since no one but Ku would understand the 'Chance' and 'Community Chest' cards - Ku, obviously
Talisman - Crown of Thorns
All the Munchkin ever - Eldpollard
Blood Bowl - Thufir/Tasroth
Pirate Fluxx - Thufir
Dominion - Glug
Small World - Glug

Note that these possible games vary from "Will probably bring but hasn't specifically said so," to "Will only consider bringing if specifically asked to." If you really want a game brought, ask about it.
Please mention more games that you will/may be bringing!

Information For Sleeping
Express by Holiday Inn. (http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/gb/en/peterborough/ptruk/hoteldetail) It's a bit out of the way from the pub, but that can be sorted.
There's also another Holiday Inn (http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/gb/en/peterborough/ptrwe/hoteldetail) in Peterborough that's about 5 minutes away from the pub by car. (Thufir/Tasroth, Curly/Fred, DD, Ku/Spanner already booked)
Rates and reccomendations. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10716010&postcount=167)
There's also apparently a Travelodge about a mile and a half from the venue. (Kobold-Bard already booked)
General consensus seems to be the Holiday Inn.

Things Koorly (Or Others, But Mostly Koorly) Will Try To Bake
Mini-pavlovas
Catmuffins
Cookies (natch)
Brownies (natch)
Muffins/Cupcakes (natch)
Cookie Monster Muffins
Vegetarian Not-Sausage Rolls. How do people feel about spinach and cheese?

Known Dietary Requirements To Cater For (for ease of grouping)
Nut allergy (Lensman)
Vegetarians (Jibbers, Eldpollard, Tasroth, CrownofThorns)

Curly may be wanting financial contributions to reimburse her for all the ingredients.
Also, you can make requests/suggestions, though there's no guarantee they will be done.

Please check things are accurate.

And,

I thought the kangaroos were before we got to the main venue?

hamishspence
2011-01-05, 11:57 AM
I've been looking at possible Midlands venues- the Y Theatre in Leicester is fairly cheap (and just opposite the train station)- £18 per hour if you book 8 weeks in advance.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-05, 12:12 PM
I'm up for it, wherever it is, but I will say that the further south it is, the better. :smalltongue:
Still, coming from Sussex won't be as bad as coming from Cornwall (it'll be summer, after all).

Eldpollard
2011-01-05, 12:51 PM
Starting early this time are we? Colour me possibly interested perhaps.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-01-05, 12:52 PM
Colour me interested if it's in London or Scotland.

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-05, 12:52 PM
Subscribing.

<Activate lurk mode>

Totally Guy
2011-01-05, 01:18 PM
I too think I'll lurk.

Thufir
2011-01-05, 02:37 PM
I've been looking at possible Midlands venues- the Y Theatre in Leicester is fairly cheap (and just opposite the train station)- £18 per hour if you book 8 weeks in advance.

I'm not sure about cheap... if we wanted it for 12 hours, that'd be £216. So just over £10 each if this meetup is as well-attended as the last one (Which I obviously hope it will be, but it's better not to depend on it). And that would be on top of accomodation and food as usual.
I mean, it's certainly possible, but there might be cheaper options.

I'm willing to look at venues in the Newcastle area if people are willing to come to Newcastle, but I realise it's a bit far north for most.

Castaras
2011-01-05, 03:04 PM
All your threads are belong to us.

- Lurkers and subscribers anonymous

Count me down as interested, and Lensman will be interested... I'll poke him after he's stopped being drunk.

Heliomance
2011-01-05, 03:28 PM
Voting for Southampton as venue :P

KuReshtin
2011-01-05, 07:53 PM
Starting early this time are we?

No new thread for a whole month since the last meet? We've had new meetup threads start the following week after a meetup. This is a positively delayed start in planning for the next one. :smallwink:

I'm willing to look at venues in the Newcastle area if people are willing to come to Newcastle, but I realise it's a bit far north for most.

I can do Newcastle. It's not too bad for me. Only about 3½ hours. :smallbiggrin:
And no, it's not a bit north. It's slightly south. :smalltongue:

Needless to say, I'm interested.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-05, 07:58 PM
If I recall, those furthest north and south are Ku and myself, so I propose a venue around the same distance from Largs as from Hastings. Having said that, I may remember to book train tickets this time... :smallamused:

Thufir
2011-01-05, 08:42 PM
And no, it's not a bit north. It's slightly south. :smalltongue:

You're not 'most'.

If I recall, those furthest north and south are Ku and myself,

Um, Curly?

KuReshtin
2011-01-05, 08:48 PM
If I recall, those furthest north and south are Ku and myself, so I propose a venue around the same distance from Largs as from Hastings. Having said that, I may remember to book train tickets this time... :smallamused:

The difference between you and I, though, is that I have a car, and therefore do not need to rely on the venue being close to a main train line. It's as easy for me to get to Newcastle as it is to get to Preston.
I would assume that it'd be a lot easier for you, and involve less train changes, to get to Newcastle.
That's just me speculating, though.

You're not 'most'.

On an individual basis, I'd venture to say that I'm most-er than anyone attending the UKitP meetups.:smallwink::smallbiggrin: Yes, that's a fat joke at my own expense.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-01-05, 08:55 PM
Naturally interested and ready to attend.

Largs and my place are about six hundred miles apart, so if we go for about three hundred miles each that means we have the entire Midlands to play with. I remember Peterborough was bandied about during the tail-end of the last thread.

As far as times go, how about end of June beginning of July, same as last year?

Now for the most important question of all:
What should I bake? :tongue:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-05, 09:10 PM
Um, Curly?

Ah, of course. Summer and all that.
I don't mind where we all meet - my conditions are merely that it should be awesome. :smallcool:

KuReshtin
2011-01-05, 09:10 PM
Peterborough would work.
We had the summer meetup in Peterborough two years ago.
That also means that I can hopefully find a football game to officiate on the way back up north on the Sunday to alleviate the cost of the trip a bit.
Last time in Peterborough, I drove about 170 miles on the Sunday morning to get to Chester, then officiated a football game, then drove the remaining 270 miles back to Largs after that.

Castaras
2011-01-06, 02:45 AM
(logs onto right account... not stealing dad's laptop, noooooo)

Peterborough would be perfect acceptable! :smallbiggrin:

Edit: No, the thread that you have as first is first. LR just confused everybody by changing the first thread's first post to be about the second meetup. :smallbiggrin:

Lensman
2011-01-06, 03:20 AM
Much as it pains me to agree with my darling daughter, I agree that Peterborough is the best option - relatively accessible, decent travel links, and unlikely to be covered in snow in July, unlike barbaric parts of the country (you know, places like Scotland, Cornwall, Newcastle, London, Leicester or Birmingham).

As regards dates, my vote is for a weekend in July - after the exams in May/June, before August when a lot of people are on annual leave. I'll suggest 9th or 16th July. Anyone else got any feelings/dates to avoid/thoughts?

Thufir
2011-01-06, 05:25 AM
Edit: No, the thread that you have as first is first. LR just confused everybody by changing the first thread's first post to be about the second meetup. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, I was going to point that out, since you mentioned it last thread as well.
Also, the line for 4 should be changed, since it was AE, not Spanner, who was the only one who turned up to that meetup.
...and I just realised now that the first meetup I attended isn't in that list. It should really be 6, and those subsequent to it should be increased in number.
Just because you weren't there doesn't mean it didn't happen, Archie! There were dice and everything!

unlikely to be covered in snow in July, unlike barbaric parts of the country (you know, places like Scotland, Cornwall, Newcastle, London, Leicester or Birmingham).

Totally unfounded. I've been in three of those cities in July, and no snow at all.

As regards dates, my vote is for a weekend in July - after the exams in May/June, before August when a lot of people are on annual leave. I'll suggest 9th or 16th July. Anyone else got any feelings/dates to avoid/thoughts?

Hang on, let me check my diary...
Hang on, let me fill in my diary, and then check it...

smellie_hippie
2011-01-06, 07:09 AM
As far as times go, how about end of June beginning of July, same as last year?

Now for the most important question of all:
What should I bake? :tongue:

I think you should bake Archie. Slowly. :smallamused:
Then discard your oven.

If you shoot for the last weekend in June, we may try again for a skype connection between UK meet-up and SE Trogland meet-up. It may even be more successful this time! :smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2011-01-06, 07:16 AM
If you shoot for the last weekend in June, we may try again for a skype connection between UK meet-up and SE Trogland meet-up. It may even be more successful this time! :smallbiggrin:

That would be quite epic in deed.
We just have to find a venue with a proper and stable wi-fi connection, this time. The one in London last summer was crap.

randman22222
2011-01-06, 12:34 PM
Hmm... I'd like to go, but between not knowing where I'll be and not knowing how well-funded I'll be, it's... doubtful. Like... 20% chance of me being able to attend.

Still, *Joins the Legion of Lurk.*

factotum
2011-01-06, 04:52 PM
I'm up for it, especially if there are muffins...I was quite disappointed to miss those last time. :smallwink:

I'm a bit puzzled about all these people who seem to think that Peterborough is halfway between Hastings and Largs, though...according to the Bing route planner it's 150 miles from the first and 350 from the second, which must be some new meaning of the word "halfway" I was not previously aware of! Oddly enough, the Manchester/Sheffield area would be a lot nearer halfway, but I guess y'all don't want to visit the same place again...

CurlyKitGirl
2011-01-06, 06:06 PM
Much as it pains me to agree with my darling daughter, I agree that Peterborough is the best option - relatively accessible, decent travel links, and unlikely to be covered in snow in July, unlike barbaric parts of the country (you know, places like Scotland, Cornwall, Newcastle, London, Leicester or Birmingham).

:smallfrown:
Meanie. Just for that I'm not going to bring you any muffins. :smalltongue:
Annoyingly though, I did a quick check around just in case the meetup ended up happening during term time.
Six and a half hours from Oxcamfordbridge to Peterborough. I think they're about two hundred miles apart!
Relatively accessible, decent travel links my donkey!

Any time's fine with me.

I'm up for it, especially if there are muffins...I was quite disappointed to miss those last time. :smallwink:

I'm a bit puzzled about all these people who seem to think that Peterborough is halfway between Hastings and Largs, though...according to the Bing route planner it's 150 miles from the first and 350 from the second, which must be some new meaning of the word "halfway" I was not previously aware of! Oddly enough, the Manchester/Sheffield area would be a lot nearer halfway, but I guess y'all don't want to visit the same place again...

No.
From the rear end of Cornwall to Largs is about six hundred odd miles. Peterborough is somewhere in the Midlands, there's been a meetup there before, it's relatively central.

By train, my place to Peterborough (285 miles): six hours, thirty-two minutes.
By car, Largs to Peterborough (353, although that is assuming going via the A1): six hours, forty-four minutes.

No. Really. It's true.
I may actually combine the meetup with spending a few days in Londinium.

*adds muffins to List of Baking*

GrlumpTheElder
2011-01-06, 06:09 PM
I'm coming, probably no-matter where as I will be able to travel most places in the Summer.

Of course, somewhere like London would be extra awesome as it is closer... :smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-06, 06:16 PM
I'm coming, probably no-matter where as I will be able to travel most places in the Summer.

Of course, somewhere like near London would be extra awesome as it is closer... :smallbiggrin:

Fixed that for you. For some reason I get BBC London as my local news (despite living in York), and the place just seems permanently depressing.

Thufir
2011-01-06, 07:39 PM
Annoyingly though, I did a quick check around just in case the meetup ended up happening during term time.
Six and a half hours from Oxcamfordbridge to Peterborough. I think they're about two hundred miles apart!

How did you come up with that? I just did a check and came up with trains taking two and a half to three hours, or coaches taking around five hours.

Re: baking: cookies. They are good, and also compact.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-06, 09:43 PM
I'm a bit puzzled about all these people who seem to think that Peterborough is halfway between Hastings and Largs, though...according to the Bing route planner it's 150 miles from the first and 350 from the second, which must be some new meaning of the word "halfway" I was not previously aware of!

Well, that's not a problem, is it? :smallwink:

@Curly - baked goods be praised! *Hails delicious meetup sustenance*

KuReshtin
2011-01-06, 10:33 PM
If we're going on purely average distance from the most extreme locations the UKitPers would come from (Largs (me) in the north, Cornwall (Koorly) in the South west and Hastings (F-E Fred) in the south east), the location would be around Stafford.
That's about 290 miles from both Penzance and from Largs and about 220 miles from Hastings.

So, do we know anyone in, or around, Stafford that can sort this for us? :smallbiggrin:

Like I said earlier, though, it's easier for me to get to places since I have my car, whereas Koorly has to rely on trains. I've heard from reliable sources that they still haven't got past the Steam-powered trains down in Cornwall yet, so that might be why she found the train trip to take over 6 hours to Peterborough. :smallwink:

Edit: As for baked goods, I want to request that you bring a Pavlova to the meet. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

CurlyKitGirl
2011-01-06, 10:52 PM
How did you come up with that? I just did a check and came up with trains taking two and a half to three hours, or coaches taking around five hours.

Re: baking: cookies. They are good, and also compact.

Laziness leads to checking out Google Maps. Oxcamfordbridge -> London [+ changes] -> Peterborough.

*adds to List of Baking*

If we're going on purely average distance from the most extreme locations the UKitPers would come from (Largs (me) in the north, Cornwall (Koorly) in the South west and Hastings (F-E Fred) in the south east), the location would be around Stafford.
That's about 290 miles from both Penzance and from Largs and about 220 miles from Hastings.

So, do we know anyone in, or around, Stafford that can sort this for us? :smallbiggrin:

Like I said earlier, though, it's easier for me to get to places since I have my car, whereas Koorly has to rely on trains. I've heard from reliable sources that they still haven't got past the Steam-powered trains down in Cornwall yet, so that might be why she found the train trip to take over 6 hours to Peterborough. :smallwink:

Edit: As for baked goods, I want to request that you bring a Pavlova to the meet. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Hey!
I'll have you know we get modern trains five years ago! Not to mention changes involving long waits.
It's not my fault the South-West of England is chronically rural and backwards in ways most people can only imagine.
And how do you explain Oxcamford to Peterborough hmmmm?

You know, I'm tempted to try to make a pavlova just to spite you now. :smalltongue:
Strawberry, raspberry, kiwi, other?

Thufir
2011-01-06, 11:06 PM
I'll have you know we get modern trains five years ago! Not to mention changes involving long waits.

It's true. I could get a train from Newcastle to Penzance in under 9 hours if I wanted.

KuReshtin
2011-01-07, 05:50 AM
Laziness leads to checking out Google Maps. Oxcamfordbridge -> London [+ changes] -> Peterborough.

You just specified 'my place' as the starting point, and since the discussion is about the summer meet, which will (presumably) happen after you've returned to the land of lawlessness and piracy, the logical conclusion was that 'my place' referred to the aforementioned land of lawlessness and piracy.
You never specified that the starting point was Oxcamfordbridge.

You know, I'm tempted to try to make a pavlova just to spite you now. :smalltongue:
Strawberry, raspberry, kiwi, other?

Strawberries and peach wedges, please. :smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2011-01-07, 06:12 AM
You just specified 'my place' as the starting point, and since the discussion is about the summer meet, which will (presumably) happen after you've returned to the land of lawlessness and piracy, the logical conclusion was that 'my place' referred to the aforementioned land of lawlessness and piracy.

You were saying?

Eldpollard
2011-01-07, 06:33 AM
I was going to say that coming from Aberystwyth everywhere is far away. But then I remembered it'll be summer so I'll be coming from Leeds, so that's a bit less awkward I guess.

KuReshtin
2011-01-07, 06:48 AM
You were saying?

Hmmm.. Must've missed that bit the first time around, and then ignored it completely when reading the post about 'my place' to P-bro being about 280 miles apart, as the distance from Oxford to P-bro is nowhere near 280 miles.
Unless you go by London, of course, which I conveniently ignored. Cause to be honest, who wants to go via London?:smallwink:

Castaras
2011-01-07, 11:32 AM

How do you get 6 hours? I get about 2-3 hours from Oxford to Peterborough, and Cambridge to Peterborough is at most an hour. :smalltongue:

Thufir
2011-01-07, 01:23 PM
How do you get 6 hours? I get about 2-3 hours from Oxford to Peterborough, and Cambridge to Peterborough is at most an hour. :smalltongue:

Seriously, does no-one other than me read Curly's posts with a level of interest which borders on obsession? :smalltongue:

Castaras
2011-01-07, 02:35 PM
Seriously, does no-one other than me read Curly's posts with a level of interest which borders on obsession? :smalltongue:
{table]20:01|Oxford [OXF]|London Paddington [PAD]|21:01
21:01|London Paddington [PAD]|London Kings Cross [KGX]|21:51
22:00|London Kings Cross [KGX]|Peterborough [PBO]|22:46[/table]

That's just this evening tho. :smalltongue: If you go by train, of course. Trains ftw.

Peterborough is good! If you can get to that harsh Edinbrah place or that barbaric Kings Cross place you can get to Peterborough. It's got quite a big station. :smallamused:

CurlyKitGirl
2011-01-07, 07:08 PM

To be honest, both my home and uni have the same timing. I didn't bother checking whether Oxcamfordbridge -> London was via Tube Coaches or train though. I know there was a massive wait at King's Cross though for some reason.
Like I said, laziness leads to a half-hearted Google maps check.

So the post to which you're referring means My Place (Home). When I said in another post I checked from Oxcamfordbridge to Peterborough, that was from oxcamfordbridge to Peterborough.

Strawberries and peach wedges, please. :smallbiggrin:

Very well. And how big should this pavlova be? :smallconfused:

KuReshtin
2011-01-07, 10:35 PM
Very well. And how big should this pavlova be? :smallconfused:

Well, let's hope that we get as many attendees as the Sheffield meetup. If that's the case, I think the pavlova needs to be at least 2'x4'.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-01-08, 01:25 PM
Well, let's hope that we get as many attendees as the Sheffield meetup. If that's the case, I think the pavlova needs to be at least 2'x4'.

Ok, now I'm definitly attending this if we get more and large yummies!

Jibar
2011-01-08, 01:39 PM
Peterborough would be perfect acceptable! :smallbiggrin:

If it's in Peterborough, I'd definitely almost possibly might do maybe kinda make an appearance.

I mean, there's a regular bus to Peterborough from my hometown. I'd have no excuse really.

Thufir
2011-01-08, 06:48 PM
If it's in Peterborough, I'd definitely almost possibly might do maybe kinda make an appearance.

Y'know, this running joke of all these conditionals and the uncertainty has less impact now that you've actually attended a meetup.

Irbis
2011-01-09, 05:34 PM
Totally unfounded. I've been in three of those cities in July, and no snow at all.

Pfft, I'm back in Scotland, and there is no snow outside RIGHT NOW! :smallyuk:

Lensman
2011-01-10, 01:52 PM
Pfft, I'm back in Scotland, and there is no snow outside RIGHT NOW! :smallyuk:

The point I was trying to make was that Peterborough is relatively civilised and has a reasonable environment, unlike the barbaric wasteland that is the rest of the UK (except for Cornwall which I now accept is entirely pleasant and not even a little bit barbaric and never has snow or tornadoes or rampaging were-hamsters and can I have some of your baking please please please Curly and I'm sorry and I'll never say nasty things about Cornwall ever again ever ever ever).

The simple fact is that the rest of the UK except Cornwall is a barbarian wasteland where you risk encountering snow in July, orc bandits, rampaging rabid wombats, UKitP-eating mutant were-snails, earthquakes, meteor showers and giant killer daffodils. Peterborough is the only part of the UK that is safe from such terrifying horrors ok, apart from the orcs and the were-snails and thus is the perfect place for the next meet-up.

Starfish
2011-01-10, 01:59 PM
Exit Lurk Mode.

I don't often post, but I would just like to say that the silliness exhibited in Lensman's post probably has something to do with his current nostalgia-fest with old Goodies episodes.

Or maybe he's just naturally silly.

(Re-enters Lurk mode).

Castaras
2011-01-10, 02:01 PM
Or the fact that both he and Starfish are a leetle tipsy (just a little). :smallbiggrin:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-11, 11:09 AM
The point I was trying to make was that Peterborough is relatively civilised and has a reasonable environment, unlike the barbaric wasteland that is the rest of the UK (except for Cornwall which I now accept is entirely pleasant and not even a little bit barbaric and never has snow or tornadoes or rampaging were-hamsters and can I have some of your baking please please please Curly and I'm sorry and I'll never say nasty things about Cornwall ever again ever ever ever).

I beg to differ! I saw a tornado in Falmouth when the Cornish weather was a tempest of snow and thunder back in late November (I think I saw more meteorological phenomena in Cornwall than ever before, which may be saying something). Very interesting (which is my version of frightening - all around me were very visibly scared while I was marvelling at it).

KuReshtin
2011-01-14, 07:08 PM
I blame Castaras.
BUMP
You know... In general.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-01-14, 10:26 PM
Everyone can blame Cassie for everything sweetie darling.
The apocalypse . . .
Nuking people . . . Ku in particular.
Seriously, you can blame Cassie for everything.

Including procrastination. It's wonderful really.

Thufir
2011-01-14, 10:35 PM
Everyone can blame Cassie for everything sweetie darling.
The apocalypse . . .
Nuking people . . . Ku in particular.
Seriously, you can blame Cassie for everything.

Including procrastination. It's wonderful really.

In that case I blame Cassie for the Atlantic Ocean, and inconvenient relative geographical locations in general.

So, what were we saying date-wise? Early July, wasn't it?

CurlyKitGirl
2011-01-14, 10:55 PM
Don't see why not. Same-ish dates as last year essentially?

Castaras
2011-01-15, 04:55 AM
I feel loved. :smallbiggrin:

GrlumpTheElder
2011-01-16, 10:07 AM
Just in case anyone here is interested, I'm planning on running a WW game based on the burning wheel game some of us played last meetup.

It involves gnomes :smallbiggrin:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10171944&postcount=455

KuReshtin
2011-01-20, 10:23 AM
I want to volunteer for a spot on Lensman's Star Wars game.
Of course, this is provided that we actually get something sorted by then, which i'm sure we will, and provided that Lensman himself attends.

So, Peterborough, Birmingham or Berwick-on-Tweed for a venue?

Thufir
2011-01-20, 10:47 AM

Well, if we're pre-booking those spots before the game is even announced to be happening, count me in as well.

Why Berwick-on-Tweed? :smallconfused:

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-20, 10:51 AM

Because it's the party capital of the UK.

factotum
2011-01-20, 10:57 AM

Probably because it's the closest English town to KuReshtin? :smallwink:

KuReshtin
2011-01-20, 11:50 AM

It got you thinking, didn't it?

Berwick is the absurd list entry that makes no sense.
Like when they list the favourite movies of the extremist at the end of 'Don't Mess With The Zohan'.
The list goes:
Lethal Weapon 1,
Lethal Weapon 2,
Lethal Weapon 3,
What Women Want

Totally Guy
2011-01-20, 03:03 PM
I'd like to run a Burning Wheel session again.

It'll be the same format as last time, pre-generated characters with a conflict between them. Probably fewer players though.

Capt Spanner
2011-01-20, 03:28 PM

It'll be the same format as last time, pre-generated characters with a conflict between them. Probably fewer players though.

Totally up for this, though I'd cede my place to someone who hasn't played before. Just to spread the awesomeness.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-01-20, 06:56 PM
Totally up for this, though I'd cede my place to someone who hasn't played before. Just to spread the awesomeness.

Likewise, although I will definitly watch!

CurlyKitGirl
2011-01-20, 07:13 PM
Of course, this is provided that we actually get something sorted by then, which i'm sure we will, and provided that Lensman himself attends.

Gah! :smalleek:
Two really good DMs running two games I enjoyed.
Aaaaaah, seeing as I was in Burning Wheel last meetup, I'll volunteer to join Lensman's Star Wars game if he's running it this year.

Either Peterborough or Birmingham's my bet at the mo'.
And some of my university friends have expressed tentative interest in attending, so there may very possibly be the potential for guests.

Capt Spanner
2011-01-21, 10:26 AM
Hmm...I forgot I've never done one of Lensman's games.

I think I should sign up to that instead.

/me prepares poisoning plot.

Castaras
2011-01-21, 11:10 AM
Just to say that Lensman will get back to you guys soon(tm), so that he can announce that a Star Wars game is running. :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

We need a definite decision on venue location and date. The current contenders are Birmingham and Peterborough.

Is there anybody in Birmingham that can look at venues? Is there anybody in Peterborough that can look at venues?

Otherwise, everybody can fill out the table below (I'll let Lensman fill it out for me and him, he knows better what's happening that far in the future!). and state their preference for Peterborough, Birmingham, both, or some other place (Not London).

{table=head]Name|Venue of Choice|May 28th|June 4th|June 11th|June 18th|June 25th|July 2nd|July 9th|July 16th|July 23rd|July 30th|August 6th|August 13th|August 20th|August 27th
You!|Someplace|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?|?
[/table]

KuReshtin
2011-01-21, 12:02 PM
Done!

{table=head]Name|Venue of Choice|May 28th|June 4th|June 11th|June 18th|June 25th|July 2nd|July 9th|July 16th|July 23rd|July 30th|August 6th|August 13th|August 20th|August 27th
Ku|Both|Y|Y|Y|N|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y
[/table]

factotum
2011-01-21, 01:36 PM
Factotum|Either|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|N|N|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y
[/table]

Capt Spanner
2011-01-21, 06:36 PM
Capt. Spanner|Either|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|
[/table]

CurlyKitGirl
2011-01-21, 08:44 PM
And mine. M for maybe.

Curly|Either|M|M|M|M|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|
[/table]

Unless something else comes up.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-01-21, 09:50 PM
I will fill in your funky table when I find out when our family holiday is this year. I am reliably informed that it is likely to be late July... We shall see...

factotum
2011-01-22, 03:24 AM
Oops, didn't realise I was supposed to add mine to the previous person's... :smallredface:

Thufir
2011-01-24, 05:52 PM
Thufir|Anywhere|M|N|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|M|N|Y|Y[/table]

I think. May be subject to change.

Tasroth
2011-01-25, 10:26 AM
Thufir|Anywhere|M|N|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|M|N|Y|Y
Tasroth|Either|M|Y|M|M|M|Y|Y|Y|N|Y|Y|N|Y|Y[/table]
Pretty sure that's right.

Thufir
2011-01-26, 07:44 AM
Just in case anyone here is interested, I'm planning on running a WW game based on the burning wheel game some of us played last meetup.

It involves gnomes :smallbiggrin:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10171944&postcount=455

Since Grlump hasn't pointed it out himself, I will:
Said game is now recruiting.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-01-26, 08:10 AM
Since Grlump hasn't pointed it out himself, I will:
Said game is now recruiting.

Thanks Thufir, forgot I mentioned it here...

hamishspence
2011-01-26, 02:07 PM
At the moment, I should be free for either location, any of the weekends.

I'd like to join the Star Wars game if there are still places free.

Lensman
2011-01-26, 02:10 PM
Thufir|Anywhere|M|N|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|M|N|Y|Y
Tasroth|Either|M|Y|M|M|M|Y|Y|Y|N|Y|Y|N|Y|Y
Lensman|Pboro|N|N|N|N|N|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|N|N|N|N
Castaras|Pboro|N|N|N|N|N|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|N|N|N|N
[/table]

I get this vague feeling that people would like me to run another Star Wars game. Funnily enough, I had one all written for the Xmas meet-up, so I can confirm it will happen this time (barring any more crises). Current victims look to be Ku, Curly, Thufir, Hamishspence and Capt Spanner - the game is full before I even post that it is on...

We didn't get to the last Peterborough meet-up - what was the venue like last time? Okay, or look for somewhere else?

KuReshtin
2011-01-26, 03:01 PM
I get this vague feeling that people would like me to run another Star Wars game. Funnily enough, I had one all written for the Xmas meet-up, so I can confirm it will happen this time (barring any more crises). Current victims look to be Ku, Curly, Thufir, Hamishspence and Capt Spanner - the game is full before I even post that it is on...

We didn't get to the last Peterborough meet-up - what was the venue like last time? Okay, or look for somewhere else?

The venue in Peterborough wasn't too bad. We got the back room to ourselves, however since it was right next to the beer garden, there were the occasional curious straggler toward the end of the night who wanted to know what we were doing.

There were a decent amount of tables available. I'm pretty sure that we had a internet connection running as well, although I can't remember of that was someone's 3G dongle or not.

Parking was a slight issue. Not a whole lot of them around.

Irbis
2011-01-29, 08:18 AM
I'd like to play Lensman's Star Wars too.

Of course, after last time, I doubt Ku would want us within 50 metres of his car :P

Lex-Kat
2011-01-31, 10:29 PM
I'd love to attend one of these, sometime. I just hate going through airport security anymore. :smallyuk:

KuReshtin
2011-02-08, 07:56 AM
Of course, after last time, I doubt Ku would want us within 50 metres of his car

I have no problem bringing people in my car, as long as they don't mind my driving. :smallbiggrin:

I'd love to attend one of these, sometime. I just hate going through airport security anymore. :smallyuk:

Depending on where we end up holding the meet-up, and depending on where you're located, I'd potentially be able to offer a seat in my car.
That is, if you're close-ish to one of the routes south from Scotland to the meet-up venue.
Then again, I might have you confused with someone else, and you're not at all anywhere near either Scotland or England...

Any more takers on coming along to the meet-up?

Thufir
2011-02-08, 10:24 AM
Depending on where we end up holding the meet-up, and depending on where you're located, I'd potentially be able to offer a seat in my car.
That is, if you're close-ish to one of the routes south from Scotland to the meet-up venue.
Then again, I might have you confused with someone else, and you're not at all anywhere near either Scotland or England...

Pretty sure Lex is in America. I mean, I suppose if you drove past an airport...

KuReshtin
2011-02-08, 11:16 AM
Pretty sure Lex is in America. I mean, I suppose if you drove past an airport...

Yeah, like I said, I may have mistaken Lex for someone else. Or rather. Most likely I have.

Lex-Kat
2011-02-08, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I'm from America. Sorry for the confusion. :smallsmile: So I'd need a lot more than a ride.
I need a place to stay, and a round trip ticket. But thanks for the offer.

Someday though. Someday. *Buys another lottery ticket*

Irbis
2011-02-08, 04:21 PM
Any more takers on coming along to the meet-up?

It's ok, Ku, we get the idea, you don't have to allude any more :smallwink:

Someday though. Someday. *Buys another lottery ticket*

Remind me to hide then :smalleek:

KuReshtin
2011-02-08, 04:59 PM
Well, I posted that basically to bump the thread since it had fallen to the second page.

But we still want more people to attend.
The more the merrier.

KuReshtin
2011-02-16, 05:06 AM
Sorry for double post.

The thread needs a bump.

And to make the post not a stereotypical *bump* thread, here are the games I can bring:

- Nuclear Wars
- Puerto Rico
-Bonhanza
- Carpe Astra
- It's Alive!
- Dixit
- Carcassonne

As usual, I propose that Archie brings StarCraft the board game, even if I know he'll claim it's too big and bulky.

Thufir
2011-02-16, 07:36 AM
Updated:

Thufir|Anywhere|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|M|N|Y|Y
[/table]

Games:
In theory, I can bring:

It's Alive!
Carcassonne
The OotS game
Fluxx
Once Upon a Time
Blood Bowl

And I might be able to borrow Chrononauts.

In practice, OotS, Carcassonne and Blood Bowl are a bit big and bulky, and this time I think I'll be travelling down by coach or train, so I don't want to have the full holdall of games I had last time
Ku has Carcassonne. Anyone with a car have either of the other two? If not, I'm certainly willing to bring OotS. Blood Bowl is negotiable if anyone wants to play it.

KuReshtin
2011-02-16, 08:23 AM
Actually, I will amend my previous statement to say that I will bring the list of games that i posted, since they're neatly packed in a bag, ready to go. :smallbiggrin:

rakkoon
2011-02-16, 08:25 AM
That's some serious preparing KuReshtin!

KuReshtin
2011-02-16, 10:05 AM
That's some serious preparing KuReshtin!

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to use them since I was in Sheffield for the previous UKitP meet in December. :smalleek:
Adn since the bag is just the right size for the collection of games I currently have, I decided that instead of unloading the games from the bag to use the bag as a gym bag, I just bought a new gym bag instead. :smallbiggrin:

Eldpollard
2011-02-16, 10:51 AM
Eldpollard|Either|M|M|M|M|M|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|N|Y|
[/table]
My only no is a big no. That's the weekend of the green man festival. There is no way I'm missing it.
I can bring my veritable plethora of Munchkin games. I may possibly run an Iron Kingdoms game. Iron Kingdoms is 3.5 rules for the most part but it's a magicy steampunk setting. Somewhat dark-ish. It's the world Warmachine and Hordes are set in.
I also have the munchkin board game, as well as Scrappers and Bodgers, two card games by Privateer Press.

Castaras
2011-02-16, 11:55 AM
I can bring Fluxx and Once Upon a Time, considering the fact that when I've brought these before they've been massive hits. :smallbiggrin:

I might have a poke around to see if we have any other random little games we can bring along.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-02-16, 01:16 PM
I can bring Fluxx and Once Upon a Time, considering the fact that when I've brought these before they've been massive hits. :smallbiggrin:

I might have a poke around to see if we have any other random little games we can bring along.

Big Mechanical Tree Brother must return! :biggrin:

Thufir
2011-02-16, 01:33 PM
Big Mechanical Tree Brother must return! :biggrin:

He doesn't need to return. He is always with us. Watching over us, through the difficulties of the war with Bad Horse Evil Magical Dog.
I love Big Mechanical Tree Brother.

Totally Guy
2011-02-17, 08:54 AM
Eldpollard|Either|M|M|M|M|M|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|N|Y|
Glug|Either|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|N|Y|Y|Y|Y|Y|
[/table]

Can't make July 23rd. That's naked night at York Maze.

I might bring my new favourite card game, Dominion.

hamishspence
2011-02-17, 01:55 PM
At the moment- I don't have any dates which are a "no".

And for me Peterborough would be a good venue.

Jair Barik
2011-02-19, 11:02 AM
I will certainly have to look into attending this!
Peterborough is very local to me so it would be pretty cool to attend.
Also a big hello to Castaras and Lensman who I believe I met in Leicester today :smallsmile:

Totally Guy
2011-02-19, 01:14 PM
Also a big hello to Castaras and Lensman who I believe I met in Leicester today :smallsmile:

What was going on in Leicester? I went to a con called Continuum last year there at the Uni. It was a spur of the moment thing for me on a free weekend.

Jair Barik
2011-02-19, 01:18 PM
Actually two weeks ago there was SabreCon at Leicester University (university run games society's convention) with tournaments, roleplayers, a few stalls and such like. Nothing was going on today I just met them by chance during a tour of the uni.

Castaras
2011-02-19, 01:26 PM
I will certainly have to look into attending this!
Peterborough is very local to me so it would be pretty cool to attend.

*waves* :smallbiggrin:

Watch out, I'm firming Leicester Uni... :smalltongue:

Lensman
2011-02-19, 01:26 PM
Hi Jair! Thanks for the chance to see around your accomodation - the worrying thing is that - A-level grades willing - Castaras will be at Leicester next year. This is your advance warning - you have eight months to build the defences and prepare to repel encroaching horror...

And you'll be very welcome if you want to come to UKitP!

Castaras
2011-02-19, 01:27 PM
Ninja'd you! :smallbiggrin:

Capt Spanner
2011-02-19, 01:29 PM
Hi Jair! Thanks for the chance to see around your accomodation - the worrying thing is that - A-level grades willing - Castaras will be at Leicester next year. This is your advance warning - you have eight months to build the defences and prepare to repel encroaching horror...

Leicester is a pretty cool place to live.

Do I sense joy in your voice, Lensman?

Lensman
2011-02-19, 01:47 PM
Leicester is a pretty cool place to live.

Do I sense joy in your voice, Lensman?

You mean - because we get rid of Castaras? Well, actually...

My only regret is - well, I agree that Leicester is a pretty nice place. But with Castaras going there, it's likely to become a charred, barren wasteland, devoid of intelligent life (meaning only Castaras will be left) within the space of a few days...

On the other hand, it means she's gone! Hooray! Yahoo! Celebrations!

Oh. Starfish just pointed out she'd be back for Christmas (with piles of washing needing doing, at that). Cancel the celebrations...

Jair Barik
2011-02-19, 01:54 PM
The Leicester Sabres games Society page is here (http://www.leicestersabres.org.uk/) if it interests you. A quick note though, the counter on the right hand side of the page is an ongoing 'joke' of sorts amidst the society it refers to someone other than myself thankfully :smallbiggrin:

It's always fun when people who go on these tours ask me about my stuff because they have an interest in such hobbies themselves. Last year I had some WHFB stuff on display that I had been painting and ended up in a discussion about what army I played!

For those who haven't been looking around my room today the items in question that draw such attention include a stack of 9 roleplay books, two miniatures cases, a copy of Red Hand of Doom and the old 4 cd games box of Planescape Torment that I have finally got around to completing.

Charity
2011-02-19, 08:22 PM
Can't make July 23rd. That's naked night at York Maze.

I might bring my new favourite card game, Dominion.

Dominion is made of win, you need to try 'race for the galaxy' and the monkey game...
If its in the school holidays there is an outside chance I could attend.

Castaras
2011-02-20, 12:30 PM
The Leicester Sabres games Society page is here (http://www.leicestersabres.org.uk/) if it interests you. A quick note though, the counter on the right hand side of the page is an ongoing 'joke' of sorts amidst the society it refers to someone other than myself thankfully :smallbiggrin:

Rolegaming, Board games, and computer gaming? I'm in love. :smallbiggrin:

It's always fun when people who go on these tours ask me about my stuff because they have an interest in such hobbies themselves. Last year I had some WHFB stuff on display that I had been painting and ended up in a discussion about what army I played!

Aha, explains it all. :smallamused:

Castaras
2011-02-26, 08:25 AM
Sooooo...

Anybody able to look around one of these various places for somewhere to maybe have the meetup?

Thufir
2011-02-26, 08:28 AM
Well, if we want someone to look around Peterborough, that'd probably be easiest for someone who lives there...
Now who do we know who lives in Peterborough...

Castaras
2011-02-26, 08:31 AM
I live about 20-30 mins away from Peterborough. :smalltongue: Which is why I'm wondering if there's anybody closer before I start using the magic known as google to try and find a place. :smallsmile:

Lensman
2011-02-27, 05:01 AM
I live about 20-30 mins away from Peterborough. :smalltongue:

Which only goes to prove that Castaras can't drive. It takes 40 minutes, on a good day, and anything up to an hour in reality for us to drive to Peterborough. I'm up to my ears in work of various varieties at present, including an ongoing case that involves an allegation akin to attempted murder, which is why I've not been on the forums recently (36 hours at the police station, drafting briefs to counsel, struggling with a number of bizarre clients, and keeping on top of the office work too - I'm beginning to feel as though I'm coming apart at the seams).

If no one else is nearer, then I'll let Cassie do the googling, and I'll try and get to Peterborough at some stage to vet the final options.

Castaras
2011-02-27, 06:20 AM
Which only goes to prove that Castaras can't drive. It takes 40 minutes, on a good day, and anything up to an hour in reality for us to drive to Peterborough. I'm up to my ears in work of various varieties at present, including an ongoing case that involves an allegation akin to attempted murder, which is why I've not been on the forums recently (36 hours at the police station, drafting briefs to counsel, struggling with a number of bizarre clients, and keeping on top of the office work too - I'm beginning to feel as though I'm coming apart at the seams).

If no one else is nearer, then I'll let Cassie do the googling, and I'll try and get to Peterborough at some stage to vet the final options.

*blush* couldn't remember the timing so used google maps. :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2011-03-08, 07:26 PM
*bump*

Spanner, if you read this, can you please go through the thread and update the first post a bit with potential attendees, potential venue and potential date?

Thanks.

Timberwolf
2011-03-08, 10:34 PM

Oh good grief, no.

Cassie joining the dreadful horde of the East Midlands (sub branch Leicestershire) ?

The thought is too horrible to easily be rid off. Next thing you know Lensman, she'll be demanding that strange orangey red cheese they go in for there and refusing any crisps that aren't Walkers.

We're doomed I tell you, doomed.

(WEST MIDLANDS FTW !)

Anyway, on topic, once again, research permitting (it really didn't permit last time), I'll look into attending, especially if it's withing striking distance of the Glorious People's Republic of the West Midlands. July 23rd I might not be available for, but other than that, I'll try to be seen.

Thufir
2011-03-14, 09:28 AM
Well, I think me and/or Tasroth are going to buy the OotS game expansion, so assuming we get it before the meetup, we'll be able to bring that. Maybe then we can play it and it won't take absolutely ages!

(*Lebump*)

Lensman
2011-03-21, 06:32 AM
We have a venue and a date.

The Cherry Tree,
* 9-11 Oundle Road
* Woodston
* Peterborough
* PE2 9PB

9th July 2011

We have the room effectively from about 11am until we pack up, probably around 10-11pm. There is a buffet, drinks from the bar, enough room for 30+, lots of tables, but no wifi. There is adequate parking and it is less than 10 minutes drive from the railway station, so those of us with cars can collect, or it is comfortably walkable.

Assuming we have 20+ people, the cost is £10/head.

Could I have confirmation of everyone who wants to come?

Thufir
2011-03-21, 08:08 AM

*Raises hand*

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-03-21, 08:10 AM
How could I possibly refuse? :smallamused:

Tasroth
2011-03-21, 08:10 AM
*does same*

EDIT - Well that works less well on a new page, and with a post between mine and Thufir's. Still a confirmation though.

KuReshtin
2011-03-21, 08:17 AM
Confirmed.

I will once again offer to pick up people coming from Scotland who wants to go down.
We will be leaving on Friday the 8th, and since it's a 7 hour drive to get to Peterborough, I will be looking at leaving around 1-2pm at the latest.

Edit: Lensman, can you advise on whether the parking lot at the back of the Cherry Tree is available for it's patrons to use, and whether that patch of grass next to the car park is still a patch of grass?
Cause if it is, I'll bring my Kubb game again, and maybe we'll be able to get a game or two of that played as well. :smallbiggrin:

Totally Guy
2011-03-21, 08:45 AM
Sure I'm in. :smallsmile:

Castaras
2011-03-21, 10:44 AM

The Cherry Tree,
* 9-11 Oundle Road
* Woodston
* Peterborough
* PE2 9PB

9th July 2011

Three guesses as to whether I'm coming or not. :smallamused:

hamishspence
2011-03-21, 10:57 AM
I'm coming.

factotum
2011-03-21, 12:25 PM
I'm in. It's only 120 miles, I might even drive back at 11pm when we finish...I like driving at night (and I like sleeping in my own bed, too!). :smallbiggrin:

Capt Spanner
2011-03-21, 12:53 PM
Front page updated.

I can confirm my attendance.

Is there crash space (a floor or sofa) or cheap accommodation nearby? The last train back to Sheffield leaves unfashionably early.

Three guesses as to whether I'm coming or not. :smallamused:

Guess 1: Maybe
Guess 2: Perhaps
Guess 3: Hopefully not :-P

How did I do?

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-21, 01:03 PM
Front page updated.

I can confirm my attendance.

Is there crash space (a floor or sofa) or cheap accommodation nearby? The last train back to York is usually full of murderers.

And there we have the post I was planning to make.

Capt Spanner
2011-03-21, 01:22 PM
And there we have the post I was planning to make.

Clearly I'm a future psychic. :smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2011-03-21, 01:44 PM
Last time we were in Peterborough, a bunch of us stayed at the Express by Holiday Inn. (http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/gb/en/peterborough/ptruk/hoteldetail)
It's a bit out of the way from the pub, but that can be sorted.
There's also another Holiday Inn (http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/gb/en/peterborough/ptrwe/hoteldetail) in Peterborough that's about 5 minutes away from the pub by car.

Castaras
2011-03-21, 04:37 PM
Is there crash space (a floor or sofa) or cheap accommodation nearby? The last train back to Sheffield leaves unfashionably early.

While I'm 90% certain Lensman and I can't offer any crash space, there's quite a few cheap inns and such about the place to crash in.

Guess 1: Maybe
Guess 2: Perhaps
Guess 3: Hopefully not :-P

How did I do?

Mediocre. :smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2011-03-24, 02:53 AM
ok... threadjack.

anyone want to order "snips, snails, & Dragon tales"?
since shipping to the UK is 3 times the cost of the book i was wondering if anyone wanted in to help share the cost...

/threadjack

i should be there. baring interference.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2011-03-24, 03:39 AM
i should be there. baring interference.

You planning on traveling via radio?:smallamused:[/Sneaks off to dispose of his top hat, tea and crumpets and poor cricket skills that allowed him entrance]

V We had a referendum, we voted you could have them this year as a sign of goodwill, clogging up the place they were:smalltongue:. I'm more concerned about the 1 dayers after them. Out of the 7 how many did you win? :smallamused:

Archonic Energy
2011-03-24, 04:54 AM
You planning on traveling via radio?:smallamused:[/Sneaks off to dispose of his top hat, tea and crumpets and poor cricket skills that allowed him entrance]

Who has the ashes currently?

thought so...

:p

good to see you around Death!

Totally Guy
2011-03-24, 07:19 AM
anyone want to order "snips, snails, & Dragon tales"?
since shipping to the UK is 3 times the cost of the book i was wondering if anyone wanted in to help share the cost...

That's a good idea. I'm in.

I have tried this strategy before... Unsuccessfully I might add. I still have a spare Freemarket RPG box set at my place.:smalltongue:

Archonic Energy
2011-03-24, 07:32 AM
We had a referendum, we voted you could have them this year as a sign of goodwill, clogging up the place they were:smalltongue:. I'm more concerned about the 1 dayers after them. Out of the 7 how many did you win? :smallamused:

see you in the WCC finals...
unless we go out to Germany on penalties
:smallamused:

factotum
2011-03-24, 07:48 AM

I've already ordered, I'm afraid, but the shipping cost definitely wasn't 3 times the cost of the book... :smallconfused:

Archonic Energy
2011-03-24, 08:02 AM
I've already ordered, I'm afraid, but the shipping cost definitely wasn't 3 times the cost of the book... :smallconfused:

That's... Odd.
earlier it would only let me ship in a medium box... for $43! now i seem to have a "International Priority Envelope or Small" choice for much less! :smallsmile:

Glug you still in?
i'll order 2 and either send it to you or hand it to you @ the meet.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-03-24, 09:48 AM
Can't currently tell you If I can make it or not. Am v. busy atm, what with us opening Calamity Jane tonight...

I will be able to let you know my position on sunday at the earliest, however, I hope I can come.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-03-24, 02:14 PM

The Cherry Tree,
* 9-11 Oundle Road
* Woodston
* Peterborough
* PE2 9PB

9th July 2011

Guess who's in?
I'm in.
Very much so.

Time to cue the usual questions:
I'll be in Peterborough from the 8th to the 10th because it takes seven hours by train, so any floor space or people willing to share a room in a hotel?

When a few more people respond I'll start compiling the usual mildly obsessive UK list that I always do.
If any newcomers have allergies or food requirements of any sort please post as I will be baking again this year.
Yes, I am taking requests, and I'll try my best to make as much as possible.
Will people be willing to contribute a little to the baking fund?

Thufir
2011-03-24, 02:55 PM
If there is no available floorspace (I like things that are free), then I will certainly be willing to share a room wherever I may be staying.

KuReshtin
2011-03-24, 05:13 PM
Coorly, you promised me a Pavlova!

I'm still waiting to see if anyone else from up here will come along, but I may be in need of finding someone to share a room with as well.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-03-24, 05:32 PM
Coorly, you promised me a Pavlova!

I'm still waiting to see if anyone else from up here will come along, but I may be in need of finding someone to share a room with as well.

Sure, just let me figure out how to transport such a fragile thing half way across the country and last three (estimated) days without shattering into pieces.
It may be easier to just make lots of mini ones, would that be an acceptable compromise? For one thing they'd be much easier to transport, especially as I have to make two or three changes and traverse the Tube.

Thufir
2011-03-24, 07:30 PM
Weren't you at some point going to try to make some catmuffins? Because that would definitely be neat if you could do it. (I assume doing the ears would be something akin to how one makes butterfly cakes? No idea about the tails)

CurlyKitGirl
2011-03-24, 08:14 PM
Weren't you at some point going to try to make some catmuffins? Because that would definitely be neat if you could do it. (I assume doing the ears would be something akin to how one makes butterfly cakes? No idea about the tails)

Strawberry/cola/[insert flavour] whips. And for the vegetarians (or those that simply don't eat gelatine) amongst us I'll try to get a hold of gelatine free ones.
If not . . . maybe edible sugar paper? Though it wouldn't look as good.
If worst comes to worst it'll be just icing.

*adds another thing to the Experiment List*

Things Koorly Will Try To Bake
Mini-pavlovas
Catmuffins
Cookies (natch)
Brownies (natch)
Muffins/Cupcakes (natch)

Known Dietary Requirement To Cater For
Nut allergy (Lensman)
Vegetarians (Jibbers, Eldpollard)

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-03-24, 08:37 PM
I'll say I am more than willing to share a room with someone as well, since trains from Peterborough to Hastings look to cut our meetup short (and I can't have that). I have no idea what I'm doing on that front yet, so it's very much a provisional statement.

Curly, I have no allergies or suchlike, as you may remember. :smallsmile:

Tasroth
2011-03-26, 08:21 AM
I likewise am willing to share a room.

Oh, and since I didn't mention it last time, I am vegetarian.

Capt Spanner
2011-03-29, 02:48 PM
I'd love some floorspace too.

I should add, in support, that I provided you with a bed (with mattress and everything!) for the last meet-up. :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2011-04-04, 04:31 AM
I'd love some floorspace too.

I should add, in support, that I provided you with a bed (with mattress and everything!) for the last meet-up. :smalltongue:

I didn't get a bed, or a mattress, when I stayed at your place. All I got was a bit of floor in a room that had no heating, and I had to provide the mattress myself. :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2011-04-04, 04:39 AM
Oh hai, guys, I totally forgot to tell you when I was back, and I shouldn't be posting here/should be working on college stuff.

But I'l be in northern england for a couple of days and then for 9-14 days in Scotland. In July, prolly anywhere between the 8th and the 25th.

Y'know, if anybody would like to meet-up or anything.

No, I don't know anything else. Also I would really like recommendations for things to do in scotland. (Hint: It's more likely to get taken up if it involves whiskey:smalltongue:)

/threadjack

KuReshtin
2011-04-04, 05:01 AM
Oh hai, guys, I totally forgot to tell you when I was back, and I shouldn't be posting here/should be working on college stuff.

But I'l be in northern england for a couple of days and then for 9-14 days in Scotland. In July, prolly anywhere between the 8th and the 25th.

No, I don't know anything else. Also I would really like recommendations for things to do in scotland. (Hint: It's more likely to get taken up if it involves whiskey:smalltongue:)

/threadjack

Just to let you know. They don't sell whiskey in Scotland. They only sell whisky. Spelled the right way. :smallbiggrin:

Where in Scotland will you be going? Up near the castle at edinburgh, you've got the Whisky heritage centre, where you can get a tour about the history of Whisky, and at the end there's whisky tasting.
If you'll be further north, you can always go to a whisky distillery or five, and they always give you a little taster at the end of their tours as well.

then, of course, there are pubs. You know. Like, everywhere.
And if you get to Scotland on the 8th, and don't have anything planned for the weekend, I could give you a lift to Peterborough for the weekend. I hear there's some sort of happening there on the 8th. :smallwink:

Thufir
2011-04-04, 09:38 AM
Similarly, where in northern England will you be going?
Give us details!

Archonic Energy
2011-04-05, 05:35 AM
CKG. in honour of our potential guest can you make these

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3278/2977848508_aed63a0faf.jpg
:smallsmile:
thanks.

Eldpollard
2011-04-05, 08:51 AM

/threadjack

Where in the north are you talking? I live in the West Yorkshire are near Leeds.

For the meet-up I will try and avoid making as many horrible puns. I can't promise no puns as I'm pretty sure I'd wither up and die.

Thufir
2011-04-05, 10:56 AM
For the meet-up I will try and avoid making as many horrible puns.

No! The puns must flow!

Castaras
2011-04-05, 11:07 AM
So, a list of people who have so far confirmed they're coming:

Castaras
Lensman
Thufir
Fifty-Eyed Fred
Tasroth
KuReshtin
Glug
hamishspence
factotum
Capt Spanner
Kobold-Bard
Archonic Energy
CurlyKitGirl
Eldpollard

RE: Floor Space - it's very likely you guys will have to get hotel rooms / travellodge places instead. Can't say for certain, but I'm 90% sure that we won't be able to host anybody.

PS: everyone's welcome! More people is always good! I think we hired the place with hopes for over 20 people, so invite your friends :smallbiggrin:.

KuReshtin
2011-04-05, 12:18 PM
There might be a kind of sort of +1 against my name. One of my officiating colleagues lives in Colchester, which isn't too far away from P-Bro, and since he's well into board games and such, I invited him to come along.

Totally Guy
2011-04-05, 12:51 PM
I dare say I'll bring a brother or 2 along. I might even be able to get hold of Gareth and Olli, the guys that organised meetup number 1.

Thufir
2011-04-05, 01:49 PM
So, a list of people who have so far confirmed they're coming:

Let's start putting more detail into this list. Categories and stuff (mostly) shamelessly filched from Curly:

Definitely Coming:
Archonic Energy
Capt Spanner
Castaras
Crown of Thorns
CurlyKitGirl
Eldpollard
factotum
Fifty-Eyed Fred
Glug (+1-2?)
hamishspence
Kobold-Bard
KuReshtin (+1?)
Lensman
Tasroth
Thufir

Might be coming:
Dallas-Dakota
Irbis
Jair Barik
Jibar
Timberwolf
TIPOT

banjo1985
Charity
GrlumpTheElder
Heliomance
Lex-kat
randman22222

Dr. Bath
Last_resort_33 (+1?)
Lyesmith
Nameless
Malfunctioned
potatocubed
Vampiric

People may feel free to suggest more entries for the final category - people who've attended previous meetups, people who've expressed interest in previous meetups but been unable to make it, or people we want to bully into attending a meetup...
People may also feel free to say they should be placed in a different category to the one I've put them in.

Castaras
2011-04-05, 01:56 PM
Let's start putting more detail into this list. Categories and stuff (mostly) shamelessly filched from Curly:

Definitely Coming:
Archonic Energy
Capt Spanner
Castaras
CurlyKitGirl
Eldpollard
factotum
Fifty-Eyed Fred
Glug (+1-2?)
hamishspence
Kobold-Bard
KuReshtin (+1?)
Lensman
Tasroth
Thufir

Might be coming:
GrlumpTheElder
Irbis
Jair Barik
Jibar
Timberwolf

Charity
Dallas-Dakota
Heliomance
Lex-kat
randman22222

banjo1985
Dr. Bath
Last_resort_33 (+1?)
Lyesmith
Nameless
Malfunctioned
potatocubed
Vampiric

People may feel free to suggest more entries for the final category - people who've attended previous meetups, people who've expressed interest in previous meetups but been unable to make it, or people we want to bully into attending a meetup...
People may also feel free to say they should be placed in a different category to theone I've put them in.

Last Resort = Gareth that Glug was talking about grabbing. You younguns, not knowing of such brilliant people! :smallamused:

Thufir
2011-04-05, 02:02 PM
Last Resort = Gareth that Glug was talking about grabbing. You younguns, not knowing of such brilliant people! :smallamused:

I know who he is, which is why I included him, with a (+1?), separately to Glug's brothers (Who are his (+1-2?))

Dallas-Dakota
2011-04-05, 02:23 PM
To your question: I have no idea. At this moment all we know is ''A bit of north england and then scotland for around 10 days'' and that my dad has his off-days starting on the 4th.

So I can't help you much there. I'l try to give more info as I can give.

Ku: Thenks for the tips! I'l definetely try to be around then. I just have no idea if my healththen will be good enough for a car trip that long.:smallfrown:

But move me up to MIGHT BE COMING!

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-04-05, 05:00 PM
It is excellent to have a list. I look forward to rubbing elbows with all of you once more.
Not literally, unless you wish it. :smallwink:

Dvil
2011-04-05, 05:06 PM
-snip-

Hmm. Once you know whereabouts in Northern England, and when, I may be able to meet up with you :smallsmile:. However, I'm in Germany the 8th and 9th, and probably won't have much money to travel very far once I get back, so then again perhaps not.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-04-05, 08:02 PM
It is excellent to have a list. I look forward to rubbing elbows with all of you once more.
Not literally, unless you wish it. :smallwink:

Fred, how and when may ye be travelling up from jolly old Sussex by the sea?

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-04-06, 07:28 AM
Fred, how and when may ye be travelling up from jolly old Sussex by the sea?

I am unfamiliar with Peterborough, so it depends upon room arrangements, since I wouldn't want to get a train back on the night of the meetup as it would cut the meetup short... my options are, I think, i) get a train the day before the meet, get one back the day afterwards or b) do the same with my car.
i) or b) is intentional for reasons Grlump will get. Point proven!

KuReshtin
2011-04-06, 08:36 AM
I will be in P-bro from the Friday night either way, and will be looking to share a room with someone both nights to alleviate the cost a bit.

This means that I will be available for a few rounds of games (It's Alive and/or Puerto Rico, maybe) if there is a suitable venue found on the Friday night, and also for post-meet games after the pub chucks us out of there.

Maybe someone in Peterborough (hint, hint Lensman and/or Cassie) could go check it out for us. :smallwink:

Also, if we coordinate a bit on where the people will be staying, I should be able to provide shuttle services for anyone arriving by train to the hotel.

Just checked the rates for the Holiday Inn, which is not too far away from the city centre (2 and a bit miles from the venue, PE3 6SG), and the rates for a double room is at the moment £46.28/night.

Also, the rates for Premier Inn (just over 3 miles from the venue, PE4 6AH) is currently at £84 for the 2 nights (£29 for the Friday night and £55 for the Saturday night) for a double room.

Although the Premier Inn is a bit cheaper if booked for the two nights, I think that I'd personally go for the Holiday Inn, as it looks to have more lounge areas where you could set up a game of whatever after the fun and games at the venue are over. it's also closer to the A1 for people who are driving up the A1 when they arrive/leave.

The Holiday Inn will charge the full amount for the room when the booking is made, though, and that's something I don't think that Premier Inn does.

Thufir
2011-04-13, 11:13 AM
Weirdly, I had a dream about the meetup last night.
Didn't entirely make sense. I think, in the dream, some of us had arrived on the thursday night (:smallconfused:?) and therefore were just going to be hanging around effectively having an extra day's mini-meetup for the friday. And we were staying in adjacent rooms, so I was able to wander around checking if anyone else was up (They weren't).

Strange things my brain does sometimes, but I was looking for a reason to bump the thread anyway, so...

Castaras
2011-04-13, 11:41 AM
Weirdly, I had a dream about the meetup last night.
Didn't entirely make sense. I think, in the dream, some of us had arrived on the thursday night (:smallconfused:?) and therefore were just going to be hanging around effectively having an extra day's mini-meetup for the friday. And we were staying in adjacent rooms, so I was able to wander around checking if anyone else was up (They weren't).

Strange things my brain does sometimes, but I was looking for a reason to bump the thread anyway, so...

Must have been something up then, 'cos I had a dream about the meetup too... that we were having it at my house and there wasn't enough room for everyone.

Strangeness.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-04-14, 10:51 AM
Huh. And while I was walking the mutts Tuesday I indulged in the most amazing daydream about the meetup.
Except for whatever reason it was down my way.

By the way, aside from Cassie lassie and me are there any other girls attending?
If not, any dudes feel up to splitting a hotel room?

Dallas-Dakota
2011-04-14, 11:00 AM
So we'l most likely be arriving at Newcastle.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-04-14, 11:10 AM
Sorry, It looks less likely that I'll be able to make it... Sorry guys, I was really looking forward to seeing you guys again. However, I am keeping winter as free as I can so I can make the winter one :D

Etcetera
2011-04-14, 11:23 AM
I'm interested in attending, if it's not too late.

Kobold-Bard
2011-04-14, 11:30 AM

It's never to late.

Until the day after the meet, then it's too late. But that just means you're really early for the next one.

So in conclusion: Welcome aboard.

Thufir
2011-04-14, 11:40 AM
By the way, aside from Cassie lassie and me are there any other girls attending?
If not, any dudes feel up to splitting a hotel room?

There aren't any other girls on the list.
As to room sharing:

If there is no available floorspace (I like things that are free), then I will certainly be willing to share a room wherever I may be staying.

I'll say I am more than willing to share a room with someone as well, since trains from Peterborough to Hastings look to cut our meetup short (and I can't have that). I have no idea what I'm doing on that front yet, so it's very much a provisional statement.

I likewise am willing to share a room.

So, yeah.

So we'll most likely be arriving at Newcastle.

Excellent! Will this be on the 8th?

Of course! *Adds to list*

Capt Spanner
2011-04-14, 03:39 PM
I'll need to share a room with someone too. Not sure how many other people need it, although I think I'm approx. the 6th.

Jair Barik
2011-04-14, 03:46 PM
I'll probably be coming to this.

TIPOT
2011-04-14, 04:50 PM
I'd like to come if I can :smallsmile: but I think I'm busy the week before and the week after so could you put me down as a maybe maybe?

And are there any Dnd games planned? because I haven't played in real life in years :smallfrown:

banjo1985
2011-04-15, 05:00 AM

banjo1985

Heh. Yeah, I've been lurking because I'm wary of wearing out my welcome. I'm fed up of saying I'm up for coming, getting involved in games and location discussions, and then having stuff get in the way at the last minute. Makes me look like a pillock. :smalleek:

Better I stay away, and just pop up on the day if things turn out okay. Keeping an eye on the thread for the plan though, and Peterborough is within comfortable driving distance for me, and we have nothing planned that weekend yet...

No! Stop it! *slaps self*

I should probably be in the interested, but probably won't category, for my own good more than anything. :smalltongue:

Thufir
2011-04-17, 03:24 PM
Just checked the rates for the Holiday Inn, which is not too far away from the city centre (2 and a bit miles from the venue, PE3 6SG), and the rates for a double room is at the moment £46.28/night.

Also, the rates for Premier Inn (just over 3 miles from the venue, PE4 6AH) is currently at £84 for the 2 nights (£29 for the Friday night and £55 for the Saturday night) for a double room.

Although the Premier Inn is a bit cheaper if booked for the two nights, I think that I'd personally go for the Holiday Inn, as it looks to have more lounge areas where you could set up a game of whatever after the fun and games at the venue are over. it's also closer to the A1 for people who are driving up the A1 when they arrive/leave.

I think we are going for the Holiday Inn. I suggest everyone else do the same, so we can gather!

Also, if we coordinate a bit on where the people will be staying, I should be able to provide shuttle services for anyone arriving by train to the hotel.

This also would be very helpful. What sort of time on the friday will you be arriving?

Dallas-Dakota
2011-04-17, 03:54 PM
Excellent! Will this be on the 8th?

Nay, most likely on the 4/5th, but if you had a afternoon off somewhere then, we could meet-up. Pre-meet-up:smallcool: Perhaps recommend us some Newcastle-ish stuff if not?

Thufir
2011-04-17, 04:09 PM
Repost list!
Categories and stuff (mostly) shamelessly filched from Curly:

Definitely Coming:
Capt Spanner
Castaras
Crown of Thorns
CurlyKitGirl
Dallas-Dakota
Eldpollard
factotum
Fifty-Eyed Fred
Glug (+1-2?)
hamishspence
Kobold-Bard
KuReshtin (+1?)
Lensman
Tasroth
Thufir

Might be coming:
Archonic Energy
Irbis
Jair Barik
Jibar
Timberwolf
TIPOT

banjo1985
Charity
GrlumpTheElder
Heliomance
Lex-kat
randman22222

Dr. Bath
Last_resort_33 (+1?)
Lyesmith
Nameless
Malfunctioned
potatocubed
Vampiric

People may also feel free to say they should be placed in a different category to the one I've put them in.

Nay, most likely on the 4/5th, but if you had a afternoon off somewhere then, we could meet-up. Pre-meet-up:smallcool: Perhaps recommend us some Newcastle-ish stuff if not?

Ah, excellent. If it had been on the 8th you might have missed us since we'd have to be heading down to Peterborough. Since it's earlier, that won't be a problem!
I'll have to think about what we could do...

Castaras
2011-04-19, 07:47 AM
Can't remember if anyone said - is anybody bringing Once Upon a Time, or shall I bring it again? :smallbiggrin:

And on a slightly related note: Thufir: Can't remember if I told you or not, but I have one of your monty python fluxx cards. I'll bring it to the meetup. :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2011-04-19, 07:51 AM
Can't remember if anyone said - is anybody bringing Once Upon a Time, or shall I bring it again? :smallbiggrin:

And on a slightly related note: Thufir: Can't remember if I told you or not, but I have one of your monty python fluxx cards. I'll bring it to the meetup. :smalltongue:

If you bring it, just in case, we'll be fine.
Better to have an extra copy of something, rather than not having a copy at all.

Thufir
2011-04-19, 09:29 AM

What Ku said, though I will also be bringing my copy. It's not like it's heavy or bulky.

The Monty Python Fluxx is actually Tasroth's. I did ask him after you PMed me, but then I think he forgot, and I didn't give much more thought.

Castaras
2011-04-19, 10:19 AM
The Monty Python Fluxx is actually Tasroth's. I did ask him after you PMed me, but then I think he forgot, and I didn't give much more thought.

Oh right, okay. :smallbiggrin: Mixing you both up ;P.

Archonic Energy
2011-04-20, 04:10 AM
would you be so kind as to remove me from Definatly and put me into Possibly.

i've got a stag do happening sometime before then so untill i get a date for that i can't fully commit.

Totally Guy
2011-04-20, 06:46 AM
Dang that'll ruin your perfect attendance record!

Oh, and also we won't get to see you.:smallwink:

Archonic Energy
2011-04-20, 07:21 AM
Glug.

I'm going to order your SSaDT. if i'm not there i'll post it to you.
if you don't respond today i'll assume that's a yes.

Jair Barik
2011-04-20, 07:35 AM
For those whom it may interest the Student Nationals are probably going to be hosted by Cardiff next year seeing as they won this year. Leiceter+DMU came third I believe:smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2011-04-23, 09:55 AM

This also would be very helpful. What sort of time on the friday will you be arriving?

Reposting this since I didn't get a response and Tasroth is getting impatient about booking train tickets way in advance.

KuReshtin
2011-04-23, 10:12 AM
Reposting this since I didn't get a response and Tasroth is getting impatient about booking train tickets way in advance.

Sorry. Missed it the first time.

I'm not completely sure yet when I'll be arriving. I'll try to leave at about noon, or just after that, and according to Google Maps, it'll take about 6½-7 hours to get to P-bro. So, say that I'll be there at about 7:30-8PM to be on the safe side.

That is, of course, if I travel down alone. I might need to amend these plans should anyone crop up that needs a lift and can't leave too early.

Thufir
2011-04-23, 04:27 PM
Tickets booked. We should be arriving in Peterborough at 7:48pm on the friday.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-04-24, 04:06 AM
So...theoretically speaking, what would be there to do around Petersborough (touristically) for parents, to keep them sweet from friday till sunday?

Totally Guy
2011-04-24, 04:19 AM
Not a lot really...

The cathedral is pretty good. I think it's been repaired since the last fire. There have been 2 big fires there since I was a kid. Peterborough is a cathedral city - that means it would technically be a town if there wasn't a cathedral there. http://www.peterborough-cathedral.org.uk/

There's a train exhibition, Railworld.

And Flag Fen an archaeology park. It's got replica mud huts and displays of the archaeologically significant items from the area. I think these guys claim to have the oldest example of the wheel. :p

Dallas-Dakota
2011-04-24, 05:10 AM
And by, around Peterborough, I mean, within a 100 KM or something, I have no idea. Or something, maybe Cambridge?

Jair Barik
2011-04-24, 12:19 PM
Stamford/Burghly house? It's a nice old town hosts a major horse trial event over Summer and has been used for filming several films (Pride and Prejudice for example) because there is a lot of old buildings in it including at least 5 or more churches. The Stamford fair has been and gone but it is nice to see due to the contrast between the old buildings (still has a bath house though I don't think it operates) and the new fair rides. Morris dancers were performing on friday I believe, we have two theatres the Corn exchange theatre being operated by volunteers and being an ongoing renovation project (hosts all sorts of things, had the full monty last week and a steady stream of good quality tribute acts). Burghley house is open to the public as are its art gardens and are nice to look around.

Within Peterborough itself we have Bowling alleys, Ice rink, film theatre, pretty decent shopping and such like if that floats your boat. Alternatively I don't think Nene Valley railway is too far away if that interests you.

factotum
2011-04-24, 01:24 PM
Given her recent post in the Goodbye thread, is CurlyKitGirl still a definite? :smallfrown:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-04-24, 04:27 PM
Given her recent post in the Goodbye thread, is CurlyKitGirl still a definite? :smallfrown:

We'll give her some time. If and when she returns to the Playground she can let us know. For now, she'll have to be a Hopefully Attending.
...Hope she's going to be OK.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-04-25, 07:56 AM
The cathedral and the old town(for the buildings) sounds good.

For the rest, they're interested in Cambridge/Oxford, as I said, apparently they're not interested in shoppping and theatres:smalltongue:

Any tips about those places, you local people?

And I'm +1

Dallas-Dakota
2011-04-27, 02:49 PM
So anybody reserved at the Holiday Inn yet?
I'd like to hang out with people before the meet-up, on the friday evening. When my family and me will be arriving.

KuReshtin
2011-04-27, 03:01 PM
Haven't had a chance to book yet, mainly because I haven't had any money.
Will be booking a room pretty soon-ish, though.

Thufir
2011-05-01, 04:39 PM

I choose to believe everything will be fine in time, because the alternative is depressing. :smallfrown:
She stays where she is on the list unless she tells me herself that she should be moved.

So anybody reserved at the Holiday Inn yet?
I'd like to hang out with people before the meet-up, on the friday evening. When my family and me will be arriving.

Me and Tasroth have already booked.

ION, having received Once Upon a Time for Christmas last year after being introduced to it at the last meetup, I finally played it with some of my friends yesterday.
No mechanical trees, but we did twice create a horse-frog monster.

Castaras
2011-05-02, 06:39 AM
ION, having received Once Upon a Time for Christmas last year after being introduced to it at the last meetup, I finally played it with some of my friends yesterday.
No mechanical trees, but we did twice create a horse-frog monster.

Awesome. :smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2011-05-06, 01:43 PM
Since the hippie bumped their meet-thread up to prevent it from hitting page two, I figured I'd bump the UK meet thread as well.
Take that, you smellie hippie!
Still haven't booked a room, mostly because I'm running REALLLY low on cash already for this month.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-05-06, 02:07 PM
Also put me in the DEFINTELY COMING! list. +1

Thufir
2011-05-09, 07:42 AM
So, what games will peoples be bringing?

I can bring Fluxx, Once Upon a Time, Carcassonne, It's Alive! and the OotS game (Including the expansion if it's arrived by meetup time).
Tasroth has Monty Python Fluxx.
I could ask a friend of mine about the possibility of borrowing Pirate Fluxx, Chrononauts, and Talisman, but obviously can't know what they'll say.

KuReshtin
2011-05-09, 08:35 AM
I will bring the customary copies of:

Nuclear War
It's Alive!
Puerto Rico
Carcassonne
Carpe Astra
Dixit

I could also bring a Swedish copy of Monopoly, for the Gits and Shiggles, since no one but me would understand the 'Chance' and 'Community Chest' cards. :smallwink:

Oh, and I'll bring the Kubb game with me again, since it looks as if we actually might have a place to play it this time, if the Google Maps image is correct.

Totally Guy
2011-05-09, 09:28 AM
I'll have to bring Dominion and Small World.

KuReshtin
2011-05-09, 10:54 AM
If I hadn't been so desperately short on money, I would've headed to my local gaming shop (where I have a 10% discount on all board games and RPGs for the rest of May) and ordered in the latest expansion for Nuclear War, called "Weapons of Mass Destruction".

Problem is I really can't justify paying for another NW expansion when I don't really have enough money to buy food for the rest of the month. :smalleek:

Etcetera
2011-05-09, 11:05 AM
I could ask a friend of mine about the possibility of borrowing Pirate Fluxx, Chrononauts, and Talisman, but obviously can't know what they'll say.

I can bring Talisman if you can't but last time I brought it up I believe the consensus involved killing it with fire.

If I hadn't been so desperately short on money, I would've headed to my local gaming shop (where I have a 10% discount on all board games and RPGs for the rest of May) and ordered in the latest expansion for Nuclear War, called "Weapons of Mass Destruction".

Problem is I really can't justify paying for another NW expansion when I don't really have enough money to buy food for the rest of the month. :smalleek:

I can buy it and bring it if people want it.

Totally Guy
2011-05-09, 12:44 PM
I can bring Talisman if you can't but last time I brought it up I believe the consensus involved killing it with fire.

There was one game of Talisman where I played the Druid. Ended up in the tavern on my first move and when I got to the temple I rolled up a 10 and got a Talisman.

I then headed into the plain of peril and won the game. Barely. I was down to my last hit point and had a 50% chance of dying when I fought the last pit fiend. Quickest game ever.

Unfortunately the other two players had never played before and didn't quite know what was happening.

Totally Guy
2011-05-11, 11:03 AM
I might end up being in California again on that weekend. That happened last year!

Castaras
2011-05-11, 11:06 AM
I might end up being in California again on that weekend. That happened last year!

Noooooooo! :smallfrown:

Dallas-Dakota
2011-05-11, 11:06 AM
Also put Mal and Nameless on the ''might be coming'' list.

Mal said that he was going to check if he can, and Nameless wil come if Mal comes.

KuReshtin
2011-05-11, 11:14 AM
Also put Mal and Nameless on the ''might be coming'' list.

Mal said that he was going to check if he can, and Nameless wil come if Mal comes.

Yeah, we've heard that one before. :smalltongue:

then again, Jibbers actually made the one in Sheffield, and he was the master of the 'I might be coming, but possibly not, but I really want to, and there's a strong possibility, but then again, likely not.'

Dallas-Dakota
2011-05-11, 11:43 AM
I've threatened them with never ever coming to England again if they don't come, so.:smalltongue:

Jibar
2011-05-11, 12:11 PM
then again, Jibbers actually made the one in Sheffield, and he was the master of the 'I might be coming, but possibly not, but I really want to, and there's a strong possibility, but then again, likely not.'

And because I'm not at Uni in July, I'm the same category again.
High-larious.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-05-11, 04:04 PM
Updated!

Definitely Coming:
Capt Spanner
Castaras
Crown of Thorns
CurlyKitGirl (+ some?)
Dallas-Dakota + 1
Eldpollard
factotum
Fifty-Eyed Fred
hamishspence
Kobold-Bard
KuReshtin (+1?)
Lensman
Tasroth
Thufir

Might be coming:
Archonic Energy
Irbis
Jair Barik
Timberwolf
TIPOT
Glug (+1-2?)
Mal
Nameless

The Jibbers Category
Jibbers
Timberwolf
Banjo1985

Charity
GrlumpTheElder
Heliomance
Lex-kat
randman22222

Dr. Bath
Last_resort_33 (+1?)
Lyesmith
potatocubed
Vampiric

Games (uncategorised so far; all are possibles unless otherwise mentioned) I literally just went through the entire thread adding games mentioned as possibles. Say what's in or out, throw in votes or something.
Lensman's Star Wars game (Ku, Cptn. Spanner, Curly, hanishspence, Thufir, Irbis(?)) Note: game was mentioned as full prior to Irobis' post, but depending on his attendance I may well cede my spot to allow for others to experience the game
Glug's Burning Wheel Game (GrlumptheElder (although willing to cede to a newbie))
Burning
Fluxx
Once Upon a Time
Carcassonne
It's Alive!
OotS game (Including the expansion if it's arrived by meetup time)
Monty Python FLuxx
Nuclear War
It's Alive!
Puerto Rico
Carcassonne
Carpe Astra
Dixit
Swedish copy of Monopoly, for the Gits and Shiggles, since no one but me [Ku] would understand the 'Chance' and 'Community Chest' cards
Kubb
Dominion
Talisman
Blood Bowl
Bonhanza
Munchkin (plus many expansions, enquire of Eldpollard for more details)
Small World

very possibly
Pirate Fluxx
Chrononauts
Talisman

Information For Sleeping
Express by Holiday Inn. (http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/gb/en/peterborough/ptruk/hoteldetail) It's a bit out of the way from the pub, but that can be sorted.
There's also another Holiday Inn (http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/gb/en/peterborough/ptrwe/hoteldetail) in Peterborough that's about 5 minutes away from the pub by car.
Rates and reccomendations. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10716010&postcount=167)

Mini-pavlovas
Catmuffins
Cookies (natch)
Brownies (natch)
Muffins/Cupcakes (natch)
Cookie Monster Muffins

Nut allergy (Lensman)
Vegetarians (Jibbers, Eldpollard, Tasroth)

I've done a lot of fiddling around, so please check to make sure you're all in the right place and whatnot.

Although I've not booked yet I will be arriving on Friday, so having a mini-meetup in a pub or something beforehand would be marvellous.

@DD: As far as Oxford or Cambridge go, tell them to go look around the various colleges and parts of each respective university; they're pretty cheap to get into (£2 per adult I think) and are well worth the look around. Or they could go on a walking tour of the university, which would hit more colleges for less money, plus there's a guide.
Oxford Castle may be a place to visit.
And there's the Bodleian Library.
Um. Blackwells is an awesome bookshop on Broad Street with tens of thousands of books. Similarly on Broad Street there's a museum about the History of Science which is currently running an exhibition on Eccentricity which I think is running until August/September.
There's the Ashmolean Museum (mostly art I think), the Pitt Rivers Museum on Museum Road has many dinosaur fossils and things, I also recommend the section which is specifically anthropology centred as you have things from all over the world there. Although it is a bit gloomy.
I also suggest checking out the various theatres and theatrical troupes in Oxford as there're usually a few plays going on every week.
And definitely go to Christ Church Meadow and the Gardens; they're gorgeous.
Really though, any of the parks or green areas in Oxford are lovely. I think, you may also be able to hire punts to use that day, but I've only ever booked college ones in advance, so I'm not sure.
Sorry I can't give you more precise information, or anything much at all on Cambridge, but you should be able to find similar things in That Other Place. Maybe ask Cassie Lassie, she lives nearby.

It could also be possible for your parents to make a day trip to London, I think it's only a couple of hours. But it depends. Definitely lots to check out.

@People looking to share rooms, and aren't already: first person to reply with an affirmative to this post will be sharing a room with me? Unless you'd feel awkward doing so. Do you mind booking? I'm terrible at that sort of thing.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-05-11, 04:20 PM
Also if people who are staying at the hotell could PM me their real names, so we could get rooms next to eachother? That'd cool, it'd allow maximum time to chill with eachother.

Etcetera
2011-05-11, 05:17 PM
Vegetarians (Jibbers, Eldpollard, Tasroth)

Good to know you're still coming.

I'm a veggie as well: hope it doesn't cause any problems. I presume we're reimbursing you for ingredients again.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-05-11, 05:31 PM
@People looking to share rooms, and aren't already: first person to reply with an affirmative to this post will be sharing a room with me? Unless you'd feel awkward doing so. Do you mind booking? I'm terrible at that sort of thing.

I certainly fit that category. What the hell, OK. Affirmative.
Unless someone else is desperate to take that opportunity. If so I'll stand aside.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-05-11, 05:39 PM
I'm a veggie as well: hope it doesn't cause any problems. I presume we're reimbursing you for ingredients again.

I probably should've joined in on that last time >.>

CurlyKitGirl
2011-05-11, 06:11 PM
Updated!

Definitely Coming:
Capt Spanner
Castaras
Crown of Thorns
CurlyKitGirl (+ some?)
Dallas-Dakota + 1
Eldpollard
factotum
Fifty-Eyed Fred
hamishspence
Kobold-Bard
KuReshtin (+1?)
Lensman
Tasroth
Thufir

Might be coming:
Archonic Energy
Irbis
Jair Barik
Timberwolf
TIPOT
Glug (+1-2?)
Mal
Nameless

The Jibbers Category
Jibbers
Timberwolf
Banjo1985

Charity
GrlumpTheElder
Heliomance
Lex-kat
randman22222

Dr. Bath
Last_resort_33 (+1?)
Lyesmith
potatocubed
Vampiric

Games (uncategorised so far; all are possibles unless otherwise mentioned) I literally just went through the entire thread adding games mentioned as possibles. Say what's in or out, throw in votes or something.
Lensman's Star Wars game (Ku, Cptn. Spanner, Curly, hanishspence, Thufir, Irbis(?)) Note: game was mentioned as full prior to Irobis' post, but depending on his attendance I may well cede my spot to allow for others to experience the game
Glug's Burning Wheel Game (GrlumptheElder (although willing to cede to a newbie))
Burning
Fluxx
Once Upon a Time
Carcassonne
It's Alive!
OotS game (Including the expansion if it's arrived by meetup time)
Monty Python FLuxx
Nuclear War
It's Alive!
Puerto Rico
Carcassonne
Carpe Astra
Dixit
Swedish copy of Monopoly, for the Gits and Shiggles, since no one but me [Ku] would understand the 'Chance' and 'Community Chest' cards
Kubb
Dominion
Talisman
Blood Bowl
Bonhanza
Munchkin (plus many expansions, enquire of Eldpollard for more details)
Small World

very possibly
Pirate Fluxx
Chrononauts
Talisman

Information For Sleeping

Mini-pavlovas
Catmuffins
Cookies (natch)
Brownies (natch)
Muffins/Cupcakes (natch)
Cookie Monster Muffins

Nut allergy (Lensman)
Vegetarians (Jibbers, Eldpollard, Tasroth, CrownofThorns)

I've done a lot of fiddling around, so please check to make sure you're all in the right place and whatnot.

Good to know you're still coming.

Editted in.
And yes, I will be asking for a small contribution from everyone for ingredients. I don't know how much it'll be yet as I'm going to be making more than last meetup and it'll depend on how many show up.

I certainly fit that category. What the hell, OK. Affirmative.
Unless someone else is desperate to take that opportunity. If so I'll stand aside.

Sweet. You don't mind booking the room do you? Only I'm an absolute incompetent with this sort of thing.
What time are you going to be arriving in P'boro?

I probably should've joined in on that last time >.>

I thought you did.
Actually now I think about it, I can't remember if anyone did. Wasn't important anyway.

Thufir
2011-05-11, 06:12 PM
Similarly on Broad Street there's a museum about the History of Science which is currently running an exhibition on Eccentricity which I think is running until August/September.

An exhibition on eccentricity? For real.
That place is just like the best museum ever.

Edit: Last summer I don't think anyone reimbursed you for ingredients. You added that requirement in winter because you were baking considerably more and also buying tupperware to put stuff in.

KuReshtin
2011-05-11, 06:15 PM
I'm still looking for someone to share a room with, preferable both the Friday and Saturday nights.
I currently have £18 in my bank account, and I don't get paid until Monday the 30th of May, so I won't be able to book a room until then, so anyone who volunteers to share a room with me can feel free to book it. I don't mind. Really.:smallwink:

DD, you already know my name.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-05-11, 06:19 PM
An exhibition on eccentricity? For real.
That place is just like the best museum ever.

Edit: Last summer I don't think anyone reimbursed you for ingredients. You added that requirement in winter because you were baking considerably more and also buying tupperware to put stuff in.

For realz. (http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/exhibits/eccentricity/) And
it runs until October, I'm surprised I got the dates so wrong.
And dudes? Mechanical fly-traps? Astrolabe owned by Nostrodamus?
So. There.

I thought I didn't charge for last summer, it was only a few cookies and a saffron cake then. But by Christmas it was a shopping bag full of goodies. So yeah.

Nobody knows your name Mr. ex-Stig.
We know so little about you.
Is it Bob?

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-05-11, 07:13 PM
Sweet. You don't mind booking the room do you? Only I'm an absolute incompetent with this sort of thing.
What time are you going to be arriving in P'boro?

I'll figure that out and book the room tomorrow if I get a bit of time in the morning (otherwise on Friday). I'm looking forward to this!

Thufir
2011-05-11, 07:26 PM
For realz. (http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/exhibits/eccentricity/) And
it runs until October, I'm surprised I got the dates so wrong.
And dudes? Mechanical fly-traps? Astrolabe owned by Nostrodamus?
So. There.

I feel a powerful urge to visit Oxford again.

And just to be clear - the Holiday Inn me and Tasroth are already booked into is the second one in Curly's post, referred to as just 'Holiday Inn'. No 'Express by'.

Oh, as to Friday mini-meetup possibilities, I'm pretty sure the Holiday Inn has a lounge area, so we don't necessarily have to actually go anywhere. Not saying we can't go anywhere, just we don't have to, and it might be easier not to, especially if people are arriving at a variety of different times.

Archonic Energy
2011-05-12, 04:19 AM
Still no date for this Stig Do... starting to get worried only 3 months till the wedding and not a peep from the best man yet...
i'll give you the answer asap.

Some Say...

KuReshtin
2011-05-12, 07:19 AM
Still no date for this Stig Do... starting to get worried only 3 months till the wedding and not a peep from the best man yet...
i'll give you the answer asap.

A Stig Do? nice. Everyone to wear white racing suits and Diamond-design helmets throughout?

Some Say...

I was very close to posting the chorus bit from "That's Not My Name" by the Ting Tings, but that might not be very fitting for me. :smallbiggrin::smallwink:

Archonic Energy
2011-05-12, 07:23 AM
A Stig Do? nice. Everyone to wear white racing suits and Diamond-design helmets throughout?

I was very close to posting the chorus bit from "That's Not My Name" by the Ting Tings, but that might not be very fitting for me. :smallbiggrin::smallwink:

at first i typed "satg" then i corrected it to "stag", then i thought "stig" is funnier. what with Ku's ID change being mentioned.

KuReshtin
2011-05-14, 06:24 AM
Stig-do definitely sounds funnier.
And I haven't changed my ID. I just changed the avatar, my location and my sig...

Ok, so the only thing I haven't changed is my board-name, but still.

EDIT: Also, I just realised that I'll have returned from Sweden only 2 days before the meetup, so I'll again bring the good kind of wine gums to munch on.

Eldpollard
2011-05-19, 11:16 AM
So I disappeared from the forums for a while. No idea why, but I'm posting now.
Hmm, I should think about booking trains and such.

Flash in't Pan
2011-05-21, 12:41 PM
Put me down provisionally if I can get time off work i'll definatley be there. This is the same week as my graduation, so i'll be a little low on cash. Also the train there is friggin £57 and a 5 hour slog. Can we have the next one somwhere a little further north and west? Say North West :smallbiggrin:

Also if anyone is still looking to share a room - lemme know =]

KuReshtin
2011-05-21, 02:27 PM
Put me down provisionally if I can get time off work i'll definatley be there. This is the same week as my graduation, so i'll be a little low on cash. Also the train there is friggin £57 and a 5 hour slog. Can we have the next one somwhere a little further north and west? Say North West :smallbiggrin:

Also if anyone is still looking to share a room - lemme know =]

I'm still looking for someone to share a room with.

Also, how far up North West are you? We might be able to sort something out with travel if you're along my route down there.

Flash in't Pan
2011-05-21, 02:52 PM
I'm still looking for someone to share a room with.

Also, how far up North West are you? We might be able to sort something out with travel if you're along my route down there.

Lancaster / Preston way - Live in lancaster, but its 13 minutes to Preston.

KuReshtin
2011-05-21, 03:48 PM
Lancaster / Preston way - Live in lancaster, but its 13 minutes to Preston.

That could definitely be on my way down to the meetup.
Going down on the Friday afternoon/night, though, and going back up on the Sunday.

On the Sunday, though, I might have to stop in Manchester to officiate a football game (helps to alleviate the cost of travel for me). Just to give you a head's up. So unless you want to stay and watch an american football game, I could drop you off near the train station in Manchester.

factotum
2011-05-22, 01:30 AM
I'd offer to help, but I'm going down on the Saturday and coming back the same day, and Lancaster would increase my driving distance for the day to about 480 miles...I think I'd be dead before I got you home!

CurlyKitGirl
2011-05-23, 12:45 PM
Fuh-reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddd!
You booked the room yet?

Should be getting my tickets tomorrow. Hooray for forward planning.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-05-24, 05:22 PM
Fuh-reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddd!
You booked the room yet?

Should be getting my tickets tomorrow. Hooray for forward planning.

I have indeedy.
I should really get train tickets.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-05-24, 05:46 PM
I have indeedy.
I should really get train tickets.

You really should Fiiiiiiiiiiiffffffffty-Fuh-ray-eehhhhhhh-ded.

Eeee~
Prep's nearly all done. And what, six weeks to go?
I'm amazed at our forward planning.
Never let it be said unimaversity students can't do things ahead of schedule.

Also: peeps, check out Serp's Travelling the World, Seeking Meetups and Fun Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200412).
She seeks advice! And things!

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-05-24, 06:02 PM
You really should Fiiiiiiiiiiiffffffffty-Fuh-ray-eehhhhhhh-ded.
Why does that make me laugh so much? :smallbiggrin:

Also: peeps, check out Serp's Travelling the World, Seeking Meetups and Fun Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200412).
She seeks advice! And things!

Interesting. I'd meet up with her, given the chance. I'd meet up with Dragonprime too, in fact. This is of course despite having hardly interacted with either of them.

Thufir
2011-05-24, 06:47 PM
Eeee~
Prep's nearly all done. And what, six weeks to go?
I'm amazed at our forward planning.
Never let it be said unimaversity students can't do things ahead of schedule.

Sure university students can do things ahead of schedule. Just not the allegedly important academic things. Things done to procrastinate from those allegedly important academic things, students are very good at doing, as much in advance as they can.

Jair Barik
2011-05-24, 06:59 PM
Okay I have a feeling I might be on holiday somewhere with my family the day of the meet up so I probably won't be coming after all.

KuReshtin
2011-05-25, 05:54 AM
*adds Fiddy-Fred to list of people to nuke*

You know why, mister! :smalltongue:

Castaras
2011-05-25, 08:54 AM
Okay I have a feeling I might be on holiday somewhere with my family the day of the meet up so I probably won't be coming after all.

:frown:

That is all.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-05-25, 12:12 PM
*adds Fiddy-Fred to list of people to nuke*

You know why, mister! :smalltongue:

I don't.

:smallfrown:

And more importantly, is he above or below the Cockroach in terms of order of nuking?

More interestingly, is there a reason you wouldn't nuke someone at the meetup?

Thufir
2011-05-25, 12:36 PM
More interestingly, is there a reason you wouldn't nuke someone at the meetup?

If they were on his team? Or not playing Nuclear War?

Archonic Energy
2011-05-25, 01:55 PM
If they were on his team? Or not playing Nuclear War?
:smallconfused:
i'm confused...
Neither of those are reasons not to nuke someone.
:smallamused: