PDA

View Full Version : Most Templates stacked

Dr.Epic
2011-01-05, 12:53 PM
Just wondering what's the most amount of templates you've applied to a character or have seen applied. Honestly, I've sadly only have seen I think one at most to an individual character. So how about you?

Salanmander
2011-01-05, 01:50 PM
Like a real character for an actual game? I believe I've seen at most one.

bokodasu
2011-01-05, 02:01 PM
For a character? Zero. I never get DMs who allow templates. :smallfrown:

For monsters? I think the most I ever applied was four, but my favorite was the half-dragon (red) gelatinous green dragon.

kestrel404
2011-01-05, 02:19 PM
The most that I've proposed using on an actual character was around 8. But it was for someone else' character in a game I wasn't involved in and they were asking for cheese.

Saint GoH
2011-01-05, 02:22 PM
Half-Minotaur Lolth-Touched Phrenic Mineral-Warrior Monster of Legend Water Orc.

So 5. 6 if you count the Water Orc cheese.

TroubleBrewing
2011-01-05, 02:22 PM
I was demonstrating a point to a DM once, and I think I made a Half-Minotaur White Dragonspawn Goliath Half-Golem. Again, I was illustrating the point that the level adjustment system is borked. He picked a LA +3 template (I believe half-dragon), and I picked 3 LA +1 templates.

Dralnu
2011-01-05, 02:29 PM
The craziest I've seen RL was a friend's half-dragon werebear barbarian for a level 12 campaign. He met his end when a cleric touched him in a no-no spot (inflict wounds).

Anxe
2011-01-05, 02:39 PM
Multiheaded Lernaean Cryo Fiendish Feral Insectile Half-Dragon Phrenic Winged Spellwarped Goblin of Legend
Multiheaded Lernaean Cryo Fiendish Feral Insectile Half-Dragon Phrenic Winged Spellwarped Goblin of Legend
Small Aberration (Augmented Extraplanar Fire Cold Psionic Goblinoid)
Hit Dice: 3d12+30 (49 hp)
Initiative: +12
Speed: 40 ft., climb 40 ft., fly 60 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 41 (+1 size, +8 Dex, +20 natural, +2 leather armor), touch 19, flat-footed 33
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+10
Attack: Morningstar +15 melee (1d6+18) or Bite +15 melee (1d4+12) or javelin +11 ranged (1d4+12)
Full Attack: 2 Morningstars +15 melee (1d6+12), Bite +15 melee (1d4+12), Claw +15 melee (1d6+6) or 3 Bites +15 melee (1d4+12), 2 Claws +15 melee (1d6+6) or 2 Javelins +11 ranged (1d4+12)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon, Superior Multiweapon Fighting, Spells, Improved Grab, Smite Good
Special Qualities: Darkvision 90 ft., SR 14, Spell Absorption, Low-light Vision, Immunity to sleep, paralysis, cold, and fire, Tremorsense 60 ft., Cannot be flanked, Psi-Like Abilities, Naturally Psionic, Haste, Reflective Hide, Fast Healing 2
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +12, Will +8
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 27, Con 30, Int 16, Wis 21, Cha 18
Skills: Escape Artist +14, Hide +18, Jump +18, Litsen +17, Move Silently +14, Ride +14, Search +5, Spot +21, Tumble +14
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Multiattack
Environment: Any evil-aligned plane.
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: 50% coins, standard goods and items, no scrolls.
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +21

Spell Absorption (Su): Whenever a spell fails to penetrate the Goblin’s spell resistance the Goblin gets one of the following benefits.
(Might: +4 strength for 1 minute.
Agility: +4 dexterity for 1 minute.
Endurance: +4 constitution for 1 minute.
Life: Temporary hitpoints equal to 5 x the spell level that failed.
Speed: Base speed increases equal to 5 x the spell level that failed.
Resistance: Resistance 10 to one energy type.)
Breath Weapon (Su): 60 ft. line of fire. 6d8 fire damage. Reflex save DC 21 for half.
20 ft. long 10 ft. wide line of cold. 3d6 cold damage. Reflex save DC 21 for half.
Psi-Like Abilities¬ (Sp): 3/day force screen +4 to AC for 1 minute, empty mind +2 Will save for 1 round takes one immediate action, mind thrust 1d10 to on person within 30 ft. with Will save DC 16 for no damage.
Haste (Su): Always act as if under a haste effect.
Reflective Hide (Su): Always act as if under a spell turning effect.
Smite Good (Su): 1/day +3 damage against a good foe.
Spells: 0-15-detect magic, light, read magic, create water, mending 1-16-enlarge person, shield of faith, divine favor, protection from good, obscuring mist 2-17-gentle repose, silence, shatter 3-18-bestow curse, wind wall
I think it equates to nine templates with two extra subtemplates within Multiheaded. The purpose of the adventure was to collect the Gobin's head before the opposing DM party was able to.

Keinnicht
2011-01-05, 02:47 PM
Small Aberration (Augmented Extraplanar Fire Cold Psionic Goblinoid)
Hit Dice: 3d12+30 (49 hp)
Initiative: +12
Speed: 40 ft., climb 40 ft., fly 60 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 41 (+1 size, +8 Dex, +20 natural, +2 leather armor), touch 19, flat-footed 33
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+10
Attack: Morningstar +15 melee (1d6+18) or Bite +15 melee (1d4+12) or javelin +11 ranged (1d4+12)
Full Attack: 2 Morningstars +15 melee (1d6+12), Bite +15 melee (1d4+12), Claw +15 melee (1d6+6) or 3 Bites +15 melee (1d4+12), 2 Claws +15 melee (1d6+6) or 2 Javelins +11 ranged (1d4+12)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon, Superior Multiweapon Fighting, Spells, Improved Grab, Smite Good
Special Qualities: Darkvision 90 ft., SR 14, Spell Absorption, Low-light Vision, Immunity to sleep, paralysis, cold, and fire, Tremorsense 60 ft., Cannot be flanked, Psi-Like Abilities, Naturally Psionic, Haste, Reflective Hide, Fast Healing 2
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +12, Will +8
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 27, Con 30, Int 16, Wis 21, Cha 18
Skills: Escape Artist +14, Hide +18, Jump +18, Litsen +17, Move Silently +14, Ride +14, Search +5, Spot +21, Tumble +14
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Multiattack
Environment: Any evil-aligned plane.
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: 50% coins, standard goods and items, no scrolls.
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +21

Spell Absorption (Su): Whenever a spell fails to penetrate the Goblin’s spell resistance the Goblin gets one of the following benefits.
(Might: +4 strength for 1 minute.
Agility: +4 dexterity for 1 minute.
Endurance: +4 constitution for 1 minute.
Life: Temporary hitpoints equal to 5 x the spell level that failed.
Speed: Base speed increases equal to 5 x the spell level that failed.
Resistance: Resistance 10 to one energy type.)
Breath Weapon (Su): 60 ft. line of fire. 6d8 fire damage. Reflex save DC 21 for half.
20 ft. long 10 ft. wide line of cold. 3d6 cold damage. Reflex save DC 21 for half.
Psi-Like Abilities¬ (Sp): 3/day force screen +4 to AC for 1 minute, empty mind +2 Will save for 1 round takes one immediate action, mind thrust 1d10 to on person within 30 ft. with Will save DC 16 for no damage.
Haste (Su): Always act as if under a haste effect.
Reflective Hide (Su): Always act as if under a spell turning effect.
Smite Good (Su): 1/day +3 damage against a good foe.
Spells: 0-15-detect magic, light, read magic, create water, mending 1-16-enlarge person, shield of faith, divine favor, protection from good, obscuring mist 2-17-gentle repose, silence, shatter 3-18-bestow curse, wind wall
I think it equates to nine templates with two extra subtemplates within Multiheaded. The purpose of the adventure was to collect the Gobin's head before the opposing DM party was able to.

Honestly, that thing's CR and LA are disgustingly inflated. That's the thing that prevents me from putting huge numbers of templates on things.

I did make a Half-Fiend Werecheetah Ninja. It sounds comical, but I never explained what it actually was. Just, you know "This freaking anthromorphic demon cat runs at you at 60 MPH from out of nowhere"

Kansaschaser
2011-01-05, 02:49 PM
The most templates I've added to an NPC to use againt the PC's is 4.

Once they got to epic levels, I only had to add the Paragon or Psuedonatural template to lower level things to make them nasty.

5 Paragon Goblins can put up quite a fight for a group of level 21 Gestalt characters.

Anxe
2011-01-05, 02:51 PM
I thought the CR was appropriate when compared to other monsters with the same CR. The LA is obviously ridiculous; but it's a DM monster, so who cares.

Curmudgeon
2011-01-05, 04:00 PM
3 total templates (1 inherited, 2 acquired) of LA +1 each. The LA buyoff schedule is extremely rigid, and you can't pay your XP except at the specific class levels provided for the option. Buying off LA +1 at class level 3 means you've used up the only slot for buying off LA +1 you'll ever get, so you really don't want to acquire LA +1 after that. But you can acquire LA +2 afterward, because the LA +2 buyoff is scheduled for class levels 6 and 9. So Feral (inherited) + Mineral Warrior + Lolth-Touched (both acquired) make for a strong martial character with a decent optimization for level adjustment reduction.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-05, 04:19 PM
For a gestalt game I once played a character was... a shade (Races of Ferun) half fiend, half blue dragon human. That thing was a beast, really I think that was my first encounter with an optimized character.

Heliomance
2011-01-05, 04:25 PM
This (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=146.0), I think.

gourdcaptain
2011-01-05, 05:21 PM
One. I once played a Half-Dragon Human Crusader in a friend's 3.5e campaign. I accidentally (I swear) ended up making myself completely unhittable on anything but a critical threat in their adventure, and could hit everything on ridiculously low rolls. (In +1 Full Plate and +1 Heavy Shield) That character was quickly retired.

StormRaven
2011-01-05, 07:40 PM
Not one of the most templates ever but one of the most at LA+1...Anthropomorphic Horned Lizard (LA+0) White Dragonspawn (LA+1) Dragonborn (LA+0).

With +6con and +6wis, no stat loss, +7 natural armor, small, 30ft Fly speed (Average Maneuverability), your choice of Dragonborn aspects and with no racial HD after class levels it seriously made a wicked divine caster.

Yora
2011-01-05, 07:42 PM
I think I once made a monster with two templates. But that really was it.
In all my years as a 3rd Ed. DM, I only had one player character with LA ever. And that was a simple gnoll.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-05, 11:16 PM
The most I've had on a character was 3 or so, but that was for an ECL 20 one shot that ended after one session (I don't think our DM had expected the sheer stink of cheese he was faced with). The most I've had on a character I've actually played for more than one session is 1, and 1 is the most I've applied to a monster or villain so far.

Gabe the Bard
2011-01-06, 01:21 AM
I once had a character whose candiru familiar ate the brains of monsters and eventually started to gain their abilities as templates. My DM never really told me what all of its abilities were, and I was mostly just interested in throwing it at monsters. But by the time I wanted to stop playing a brain-hunting psycho the character retired, his familiar had become a Fiendish Draconic Undead Adamantine Magical Beast Candiru with Divine Rank 0.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-01-06, 01:54 AM
For the PCs? Well, there was that one campaign I ran where every one of the 10 players in it started with 4 templates and 6 free LA to work with.... The fewest number of templates on any one character was 6, while the dragon-themed guy with levels in every vaguely dragon-related class and PrC had 7 half-dragon templates alone (type requirements bent accordingly).

On a monster? Um. :smalleek: Not counting the additional monsters fusioned to it...around 14, I believe.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-06, 02:25 AM
My favorite one is the Vampire Vampire Spawn.

Also Wight Wendigo or Werewolf Wolfwere. The possibilities are endless!

turkishproverb
2011-01-06, 03:38 AM
42. Words Here.

Bakkan
2011-01-06, 03:49 AM
One of the first characters I played was a Half-Dragon Half-Celestial Human Paladin (2 templates, +7 LA). We started at level 8, so I had very few HP, but I was nearly unhittable.

Eldan
2011-01-06, 05:05 AM
There was a thread about template stacking somewhere on these boards. The premise was stacking templates on things to make them more interesting. I made a Wendigo Dark Shadow Chameleon Tarrasque. It had a few other templates as well, but in the end, it was a tarrasque with a huge perfect flying speed and gigantic stealth boni.

archon_huskie
2011-01-06, 05:23 PM
Weretiger half-dragon Human Lich was the most creative I ever got.

Waker
2011-01-06, 05:30 PM
Nothing fancy, just a Fiendish Werewolf ranger.

archon_huskie
2011-01-06, 06:44 PM
Weretiger half-dragon Human Lich was the most creative I ever got.

I should add that I did not start off as anything wilder than a half dragon human Sorcerer. I contracted Lycantropy from another PC who had playfully bit me. The Lich part I gained through role-play.

Rappy
2011-01-06, 08:37 PM
I think the most complex I've ever done is a Ravenous Primitive Saurian Jotunblood Half-Giant Ogre Dread Zombie, which was a task and a half on its own. I'd hate to actually go as far as that linked "lizzipede"''s creator did.

Dr Bwaa
2011-01-06, 09:40 PM
The most I've seen applied in an actual game was a

twice-evolved dark shadow-walker gravetouched ghoul human harbinger.

To be fair, he was in the same party as the mummified half-minotaur goliath, so... That was a fun (if tragically short-lived) campaign...

Dvandemon
2011-01-10, 11:48 PM
I remember that Dragon magazine OoTS strip where Belkar and Haley met a snail that was part dragon, ooze, fiendish, werewolf etc. (i.e. It was a ridiculous combo platter) all on a snail that got slightly hairier during the full moon. P.S. This was also the strip that stated Belkar's skills in gourmet cooking