PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder]Vital strike, greater, improved

TalonDemonKing
2011-01-05, 01:18 PM
On my phone, making this short, don't have books with me, but I remember looking this up last night.
The vital strike feat and improvements don't have a daily use nor do they require a full attack option. Additionally, they don't say that they can't be used with one another.

Does this mean you can add an extra 6 weapon dice for a single hit, with a full move, every turn?

Golden-Esque
2011-01-05, 01:31 PM
On my phone, making this short, don't have books with me, but I remember looking this up last night.
The vital strike feat and improvements don't have a daily use nor do they require a full attack option. Additionally, they don't say that they can't be used with one another.

Does this mean you can add an extra 6 weapon dice for a single hit, with a full move, every turn?

Hello Talon!

Your post has several questions; I will do what I can to answer them for you.

The most important factor is that the feats tell you how to use them. All of the feats say that you need to use the attack action and make a single attack. The attack action is a standard action, while the full attack action is a full round action. The feats do not say that they can be used as part of a full attack action and they all say that you can only make a single attack.

This answers most of your questions; no, you cannot take a full attack action to make two Vital Strikes. The feat series is also designed to basically improve the amount you multiple your result by.

The Vital Strike feats have several advantages and disadvantages when compared to taking a full attack action. The biggest advantage, of course, is that since all of this damage happens at once, you're more likely to overwhelm a creature's damage reduction, whereas a flurry of smaller attacks may not exceed a creature's damage reduction (see four d6 shortsword attacks versus one 4d6 shortsword attack against DR 10/-). In addition, you can combine Vital Strike with tricks like Spring Attack, allowing you greater control of the battle.

However, for fighting multiple enemies, a full attack is always going to beat Vital Strike. In addition, if your weapon has enough bonus damage, a full attack also might exceed it in total damage done; you apply your Inspire Courage to every attack in a full attack, but only once in a Vital Strike.

Hope this helps!

Here are links to the feats in question:

Vital Strike (Combat)
You make a single attack that deals significantly more damage than normal.

Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +6.

Benefit: When you use the attack action, you can make one attack at your highest base attack bonus that deals additional damage. Roll the weapon’s damage dice for the attack twice and add the results together before adding bonuses from Strength, weapon abilities (such as flaming), precision-based damage, and other damage bonuses. These extra weapon damage dice are not multiplied on a critical hit, but are added to the total.

Improved Vital Strike (Combat)
You can make a single attack that deals a large amount of damage.

Prerequisites: Vital Strike, base attack bonus +11.

Benefit: When you use the attack action, you can make one attack at your highest base attack bonus that deals additional damage. Roll the weapon’s damage dice for the attack three times and add the results together before adding bonuses from Strength, weapon abilities (such as flaming), precision-based damage, and other damage bonuses. These extra weapon damage dice are not multiplied on a critical hit, but are added to the total.

Greater Vital Strike (Combat)
You can make a single attack that deals incredible damage.

Prerequisites: Improved Vital Strike, Vital Strike, base attack bonus +16.

Benefit: When you use the attack action, you can make one attack at your highest base attack bonus that deals additional damage. Roll the weapon’s damage dice for the attack four times and add the results together before adding bonuses from Strength, weapon abilities (such as flaming), precision based damage, and other damage bonuses. These extra weapon damage dice are not multiplied on a critical hit, but are added to the total.

Salbazier
2011-01-05, 02:26 PM
Seems reasonable interpretation. Just some addition.

'When you use attack action, you can make one.." Imply that you can only get one attack per attack action and Full attack, in addition to being different from attack action, is a single action.

"Roll the damage x times" means you roll the dice x times not you get additional number of dice rolls. It changes the number of rolls not add it, so they cannot be stacked.

TalonDemonKing
2011-01-05, 02:29 PM
Wait, that doesn't quite answer my question

I'm asking if its unlimited use and stacks with itself on one single attack. It only says one single attack, but could you use a full move with this, then use all three feats on one attack.

Salbazier
2011-01-05, 02:40 PM
I think I kinda answer that. The feats change the number of dice rolled not add them. So you use, Vital strike. The diceroll changes to 2 dice. Improved vital strike changes it to 3. So forth.

If it says you made additional dice rolls, than that's a different thing. Even before that I'm not sure you can use all three together with the way its worded.

And what do you mean by full move? :smallconfused: Full attack cannot be used with the feat. Do you mean double move? But you cannot attack and double move in the same turn (unless by charging)

TalonDemonKing
2011-01-05, 03:40 PM
Sorry bout that, you posted as I was typing mine.

Exact wording of the is in golden post, a full move is a move that is more than five feet, which prevents people from making a full attack.

I guess I was seeing it like crit multiplier, where you added them together (2x plus 3x would be 4x)

Salbazier
2011-01-05, 10:44 PM
Ah, I see. Pretty sure with critical usually there is explicit part somewhere explaining that it stacks.