PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Spellcasting: Questions About PrC Pally and Divine Magician

Elric VIII
2011-01-05, 01:21 PM
Prestige Paladin and Divine Magician are both ways for classes to access spells that they normally would not be able to cast. But, I have a bit of confusion while I'm trying to spec out a build that uses these two.

First, can Divine Magician allow you to access spells at an earlier level? For instance: AMF is Clr 8, Sor/Wiz 6. It fits the criteria of being a Sor/Wiz spell of the Abjuration school, so it may be taken when selecting divine Magician spells. My problem is, while you can take it as your 6th level Divine Magician spell, does it get added to you spell list as a 6th level spell?

Second, PrC Pally says that it gains Paladin spells at the same level. So, it seems that if I take Battle Blessing it would be reasonable to say that spells that are Paladin only may be cast as swift actions. My question is: If I enter as a Cleric, and can I prepare spells that both classes have and allow them to count as Paladin spells for the sake of Battle Blessing?

This is for a build that I'm trying to make, it's a Witch-Hunter character that will look something like this: Favored Soul 5/Knight of the Raven 3/Prc Paladin 1/Church Inquisitor 4/Knight of the Raven +7

Psyren
2011-01-05, 02:47 PM
1) Whenever you get the opportunity to learn spells from another class list, you can learn them at a lower level if available. For example, Archivists can learn Lesser Restoration at 1st-level if they find a Paladin scroll as opposed to a Cleric or Druid scroll. So yes, DM lets you learn the lower version if it is more advantageous.

2) No, only spells that are on the Paladin list itself qualify for Battle Blessing. This is because the feat says "Paladin Spells" not "spells that a paladin casts."

Elric VIII
2011-01-05, 03:35 PM
1) Whenever you get the opportunity to learn spells from another class list, you can learn them at a lower level if available. For example, Archivists can learn Lesser Restoration at 1st-level if they find a Paladin scroll as opposed to a Cleric or Druid scroll. So yes, DM lets you learn the lower version if it is more advantageous.

2) No, only spells that are on the Paladin list itself qualify for Battle Blessing. This is because the feat says "Paladin Spells" not "spells that a paladin casts."

1) For AMF, that's how I've been playing it in my current campaign, but I wanted to chack anyway, thanks.

2) So does that mean that when I've taken PrC Pally that I can learn subsequent spells as Paladin spells even if they appear on both lists? Or does it retroactively allow me to consider spells that appear on the paladin list that I have already learned as paladin spells?

Greenish
2011-01-05, 06:09 PM
This is for a build that I'm trying to make, it's a Witch-Hunter character that will look something like this: Favored Soul 5/Knight of the Raven 3/Prc Paladin 1/Church Inquisitor 4/Knight of the Raven +7Knight of the Raven requires +4 BAB, level 5 Favoured Soul has +3.

Since you've got cha-based casting, taking a second level in PrC pally might be interesting, though you'd lose another level of casting.

Elric VIII
2011-01-05, 06:32 PM
Knight of the Raven requires +4 BAB, level 5 Favoured Soul has +3.

Since you've got cha-based casting, taking a second level in PrC pally might be interesting, though you'd lose another level of casting.

Gah, you're right, it lined up so perfectly with turn undead at 8, then PrC Pally at 9, getting Battle Blessing. I guess I'll have to go Favored Soul 6. I am not 100% on the build, I just wanted to make sure the AMF and Battle Blessing thing worked before I began making final preparations. As for PrC Pally 2, while it is good, I believe the increased caster level would be better since Divine Grace can be replaced by Greater and Superior Resistance. It is a nice synnergy, though.

Coidzor
2011-01-05, 06:39 PM

What about spells that are Paladin Spells but are also on the Cleric spell list? I think that's what was being asked.

AFAIK, if it's the spell on the paladin spell list which is of the level of the spell on the paladin list, then it would count.

Forged Fury
2011-01-05, 06:48 PM
Does that mean that a Silver Pyromancer can take Battle Blessing and use it to fuel the Paladin Spells that can be added to Spells Known?

Elric VIII
2011-01-05, 07:59 PM
What about spells that are Paladin Spells but are also on the Cleric spell list? I think that's what was being asked.

AFAIK, if it's the spell on the paladin spell list which is of the level of the spell on the paladin list, then it would count.

This is what I was asking. It seems like it should work, and it allows me to go nova with low level buffs.

Psyren
2011-01-05, 08:41 PM
Does that mean that a Silver Pyromancer can take Battle Blessing and use it to fuel the Paladin Spells that can be added to Spells Known?

Yes, those spells can be quickened as they are Paladin spells.

As long as it's on the Paladin spell list it qualifies for Battle Blessing, it doesn't matter which other lists it's on. You will autoquicken Bless or Bull's Strength for instance.

A nice use for Battle Blessing is Holy Sword + full attack.

Elric VIII
2011-01-05, 09:32 PM
A nice use for Battle Blessing is Holy Sword + full attack.

This makes me very happy, since I get a new 4th level spell at level 10 when I take PrC Pally.