PDA

View Full Version : Mastery [3.5e, Learned Caster Feats, PEACH!]

Cadian 9th
2011-01-05, 07:49 PM
Looking at the Archivist, I am saddened by the lack of Spell mastery equivalent. I know we could house rule it, but the Archivist benefits slightly more from mastery and the abilities which interact with it (Such as Signature Spell) than wizards. Hence, I decided to Homebrew!

Prayer Mastery [General]
Your mastery of spells is so complete that you can prepare some without your Prayer book.
Prerequisites: Archivist 1st, Int 15, Knowledge: Religion 4 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks
Benefit: When you take this feat, select a number of spells you have in your Prayerbook equal to 3+your intelligence modifier. Non-cleric spells count as 2 spells for this purpose. Non-Cleric includes spells which appear on the Cleric Spell list but have been obtained from a spell list apart from the Cleric one. From this point onwards, you can prepare those spells without referring to your Prayer book.

As a secondary benefit, you gain a +2 bonus on spellcraft checks to copy spells into your prayer-book.

Special: An Archivist may select this feat as a bonus feat when she is eligible for bonus feats.

Prayer Mastery counts as Spell Mastery with regards to Feats and Abilities. Where such a substitution would count with Arcane spells, it will instead function with Divine Archivist Spells. If you have both Arcane class levels and Archivist levels, and each has Spell mastery and Prayer Mastery respectively, and you have a feat that benefits Spell Mastery, you must select the feat twice to gain the benefit for both Prayer and Spell mastery. This is an exception to the rule that most feats may only be taken once.

Prayer Mastery does not qualify as Spell Mastery for Class Level Substitutions or Prestige Classes. It does, however, allow you to benefit from abilities granted by the above, provided you forfeit the benefit provided to the usual benefit Spell Mastery would give you for the benefit to apply instead to Prayer Mastery. For example, if Mialee entered a Prestige class as a Wizard 3/Archivist 3 and possessed the Spell mastery and Prayer Mastery feats, and the 1st level of the prestige class allowed you to cast spells mastered at +2 DC, she could select Prayer or Spell mastery to receive that benefit. If, at the next level, she gains the ability to select 2 spells spell mastered to gain a permanent +1 effective spell level (As Hieghten Spell), she could apply all the benefits to Prayer or Spell mastery, or 1 to each.

You can select Prayer Mastery more than once. Each time you select this feat, its benefit applies to a different set of spells.

Master Archivist [General]
Seeking out sources of Forbidden Lore, you have gained experience in the matters of research and understanding spells above the normal Archivists of your kind.
Prerequisites: Int 17, Archivist level 5th, Ability to cast at least 6 non-cleric spells, Spellcraft 8 Ranks, Knowledge: Religion 5 ranks, Skill Focus: Spellcraft.
Benefit: Each level you gain in the Archivist class (Including if you gain an Archivist caster level from a prestige class), you gain an extra spell each level in addition to your base 2 spells gained each level. These spells gained at each level do not have to be Cleric spells, rather, they can be any Divine Spell you could research. To select a divine spell in this matter, you must have a number of ranks in spellcraft equal to twice the spell level.

In addition, you gain a +2 bonus on spellcraft checks to copy a spell into your prayerbook.

Finally, you gain a +4 bonus on Gather Information checks to locate spells.

Special: You may select this feat as an Archivist Bonus feat.

Master Scriber [General]
You are adept at scribing spells into scrolls, spellbooks, prayerbooks and the like.
Prerequisites: Craft (Calligraphy) 4 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks; Scribe Scroll or the ability to prepare spells from a book of any kind, such as a spellbook.
Benefit: When scribing spells into a book of a kind or a scroll, you reduce the cost of raw materials by half. Scrolls scribed by you still cost an amount of XP equal to what they would cost normally. The benefits of this feat stack with other feats that reduce Item creation cost for scrolls.

As a secondary Benefit, you gain a +2 bonus on spellcraft checks related to the scribing of magical writings.

Special: A Wu-jen may select Master Scriber as her first level bonus feat, in place of the Bonus Metamagic feat normally granted to Wu-Jens at 1st level. She may also select Master Scriber at any level she would gain a bonus feat from the Wu-Jen class. She must meet the prerequisites regardless of when she selects the feat.

A Wizard may select Master Scriber as a Wizard Bonus feat. She may also select Master Scriber as a bonus feat in place of the Scribe Scroll bonus feat normally granted by the Wizard Class at 1st level. She must meet the pre-requisites regardless of when she selects the feat.

An Archivist may select Master Scriber as an Archivist Bonus Feat. She may also select Master Scriber as a bonus feat in place of the Scribe Scroll bonus feat normally granted by the Archivist class at 1st level. She must meet the pre-requisites regardless of when she selects the feat.

A Cleric or other Domain user who Selects the Craft or Rune Domain (Or some other domain that grants either Skill Focus or Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat) can select Master Scriber as a bonus feat in place of the bonus feat granted by that domain.

Elemental Spell Mastery [General]
You can prepare some Wu-jen elemental spells without referring to your spellbook.
Prerequisites: Wu-Jen 1st, Int 17
Benefit: Choose a number of spells equal to 5+your intelligence modifier from your spellbook. When choosing these spells upon gaining this feat, you select a single Element. Spells not in the (All) section of the Spell list that are not of that Element count as 2 spells for the purpose of this feat.

From now on, you can prepare the selected spells without a spellbook.

Special: A Wu-jen may select Elemental Spell Mastery as her 1st level bonus feat in place of the bonus Metamagic feat that all Wu-jens receive at 1st level.

Elemental Spell Mastery counts as Spell mastery for all intents and purposes, including qualifying for feats, prestige classes and the like. It cannot, however, allow a Wu-jen to qualify for a Wizard class level Substitution.

You can select Elemental Spell Mastery more than once. Each time you select it, it's benefit applies to a different set of spells.

Master Erudite [Psionic]
You are a master of adding powers to your repertoire. Your skill with learning exceeds those of your fellow Erudite psions, making you truly excellent in your field.
Prerequisites: Int 17, Psi-craft 4 ranks, Gather Information 4 ranks, Psionic Talent;
Benefit: You are not limited to the Psion Power list when choosing your 2 new powers gained each level from research or your starting powers. Each power you learn in this way cannot have a level higher than half your ranks in Psi-craft and Gather Information.

As a secondary benefit, you gain a +2 bonus on Psi-craft checks to learn new powers.

Special: Master Erudite may be selected as a bonus feat in place of Psi-crystal affinity normally gained by members of the Erudite Class at 1st level. Unlike most Psionic Feats, the benefit of Master Erudite does not cease functioning in an Anti-Magic field or Null-psionics field.

Power Familiarity [Psionic]
You have mastered some powers so well that you can retain your flexibility while using them with less drawbacks.
Prerequisites: Erudite 1st, Int 18, Psi-craft 4 ranks, Psionic talent, Knowledge: Psionics 4 ranks, at least 2 powers in the Erudite's repertoire that have been learned outside of those gained when starting play or those gained each level.
Benefit: Choose a number of Powers you know equal to half your Intelligence modifier, rounded up. As long as you expend extra power points when manifesting these powers equal to that power's level, they only count as half a power when determining your unique powers per day.
Special: Power Familiarity may be taken as a bonus feat in place of the Psicrystal Affinity bonus feat normally gained by members of the Erudite class at 1st level. Unlike most Psionic feats, the benefit of Power Familiarity is not a supernatural ability, however manifesting Familiarized powers will be restricted as normal in the usual way.

What do we all think? Crazy, silly, overpowered? Good? Please tell me what you think. :smallsmile:

JoshuaZ
2011-01-05, 08:42 PM
Master Archivist seems overpowered since the difficulty in picking up non-cleric spells is one of the main restrictions on the archivist's power level. The others seem more likely to be balanced.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-05, 09:20 PM
Thanks! I was a bit worried about the balance in Power Familiarity feat, rather than Master Archivist.

On Master Archivist, how could I balance it, perhaps subject it to DM approval? In my campaigns, I generally can get all the spells , so the feat is pretty balanced, but I can see in some campaigns how it would be cause for alarm.

Roc Ness
2011-01-06, 05:36 AM
I can't speak for the Erudite feats, because my familiarity with psionics is lackluster.

Prayer Mastery and Elemental Spell Mastery seem like useful additions for the Archivist and Wu Jen. I profess, though, that I don't think many people are going to use it, given that I haven't seen it used often except as a prerequisite for something else. Might just be me, though.

Master Scriber seems like a standard feat. Nothing wrong with it.

I have to agree with Joshua Z about Master Archivist, though. That feat can get overpowered easily. I think taking out the ability to get a spell that isn't on the Cleric list would help to balance it. Likewise, you could instead include a reasonable rate of failure. Maybe a Spellcraft check?

Ralasha
2011-01-06, 05:44 AM
Perhaps just decrease the difficulties slightly? For instance, cross class spell learning is normal +5 SC from the cross classing, and the original spell level, right? So you could just make it +5 from cross class, but at the lower spell level?

Cadian 9th
2011-01-06, 06:45 PM
I can't speak for the Erudite feats, because my familiarity with psionics is lackluster.

Prayer Mastery and Elemental Spell Mastery seem like useful additions for the Archivist and Wu Jen. I profess, though, that I don't think many people are going to use it, given that I haven't seen it used often except as a prerequisite for something else. Might just be me, though.

Master Scriber seems like a standard feat. Nothing wrong with it.

I have to agree with Joshua Z about Master Archivist, though. That feat can get overpowered easily. I think taking out the ability to get a spell that isn't on the Cleric list would help to balance it. Likewise, you could instead include a reasonable rate of failure. Maybe a Spellcraft check?

Thanks, It also helps Archivists from being less dependent on Prayer books (Obviously).

Glad you like it. Again, helps people play an archivist at 1st-3rd level who isn't a cleric minus turn undead awesome, domain spells, domain powers, HD and base attack bonus plus a locked Scribe Scroll and +1/+2 on attack rolls for a move action 3/day. This way, he can afford to start with some non-cleric spells in his Prayerbook on his starting gold.

Problem is that spellcraft checks would be either take 10/20 (Auto succeed), or roll, in that case you have a feat that works only 60% of the time. I think'll make It DM controlled, which'll keep it in line with the rest of the campaign. What do we think?

Perhaps just decrease the difficulties slightly? For instance, cross class spell learning is normal +5 SC from the cross classing, and the original spell level, right? So you could just make it +5 from cross class, but at the lower spell level?

Maybe. It'll be interesting to implement that sort of thing, but it seems like a change to the archivist class itself... For the feat, I think'll make it DM controlled...

Roc Ness
2011-01-07, 07:22 AM
Problem is that spellcraft checks would be either take 10/20 (Auto succeed), or roll, in that case you have a feat that works only 60% of the time. I think'll make It DM controlled, which'll keep it in line with the rest of the campaign. What do we think?

Probably best to leave it at that... But people expect the homebrewer to sort that out, so... :smallconfused:

Dead_Jester
2011-01-07, 07:38 AM
Master Archivist, could get messy ...

A lot of classes have early access to some very good spells in divine casting (Trapsmith has haste at level 1, etc). I would probably limit it to base class casting, and let them find a Trapsmith willing to part with his early Haste (if they can find one, which is not likely :smallwink:).

Ralasha
2011-01-07, 10:15 PM

A lot of classes have early access to some very good spells in divine casting (Trapsmith has haste at level 1, etc). I would probably limit it to base class casting, and let them find a Trapsmith willing to part with his early Haste (if they can find one, which is not likely :smallwink:).

Except that he wouldn't be parting with it. He would be allowing someone else to copy it. In which case, being a person that works for a living, is more likely to charge... a lot.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-07, 10:24 PM

Oh crap, I forgot to say Non-cleric Divine spells, didn't I?

Has that been the issue?

Sohala
2011-01-07, 10:25 PM
Prayer Mastery & Elemental Spell Mastery:
Look like nice additions for those wary of losing their books.

Master Archivist:
I might double the cost of non-cleric, like prayer mastery, or restrict to nine spell level casting classes, though I don't know the proper way to word the last.

Master Scriber:
Very nice, should bring scrolls down to roughly a wand charge now?

Master Erudite:
Now were talking, ardent powers here I come.

Power Familiarity:
I don't know about this one...its effect looks okay, but the added paperwork that would come with it. A flat increase, or a scaling increase, in unique powers per day would probably be better.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-09, 06:34 PM
Thanks Sohala!

Master Scriber is also really good for 1st level Archivists, as 100gp per extra spell (non-cleric) is way too much. 50gp makes him a bit more affordable.

Thanks, thanks. Power Familiarity I was a bit reluctant to make a flat unique powers per day ability as that gets horrendous - Erudite's only cap is his unique powers per day. What I've tried to do is make it so you can have a few powers you like and use often, and so they are slightly more expensive to cast except you can use them more often without limiting yourself.

How about " Each day, you can have a chosen power from the chosen set to manifest without counting towards your unique powers per day "? But I'd have to make it level 3 or so, since level 1 is really good.

Sohala
2011-01-09, 06:55 PM
Allow the feat to be taken at level three, granting another unique power per day, with another every three level perhaps?

Could also do it like spell mastery, #+int, but that may be too many.

Ralasha
2011-01-13, 09:38 PM
Prayer Mastery [General]
Your something something something is complete ... you can something something something Darkside.
Actually, it doesn't seem all that bad to me, but then, I'm probably looking at a somewhat... rebalanced version.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-19, 06:15 PM
Allow the feat to be taken at level three, granting another unique power per day, with another every three level perhaps?

Could also do it like spell mastery, #+int, but that may be too many.

+Int would be WAY too many. Additional Unique powers per day is the only cap on an Erudites power...

Benly
2011-01-21, 10:50 PM
I would suggest modifying the wording of Prayer Mastery slightly so that rather than any spell learned from a non-cleric, it only penalizes spells that aren't on the cleric list or have been learned at a lower level than they appear on the cleric list. For example, an archivist who learned Cure Light Wounds from a druid is not gaining any benefit from having learned the spell from a noncleric source, so there's no real reason to penalize him for it.

Zaydos
2011-01-21, 10:58 PM
For Master Archivist maybe make learning a non-cleric divine spell via level up count as two of your (now 3) spells learned via level up?

As for Power Familiarity I like it fine as is, although a feat that adds 1 extra unique power per day (of any level up to 1 less than the highest level power you have?) might be a nice feat as well.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-22, 06:37 PM
I would suggest modifying the wording of Prayer Mastery slightly so that rather than any spell learned from a non-cleric, it only penalizes spells that aren't on the cleric list or have been learned at a lower level than they appear on the cleric list. For example, an archivist who learned Cure Light Wounds from a druid is not gaining any benefit from having learned the spell from a noncleric source, so there's no real reason to penalize him for it.

I suppose. Fluffwise, learning it from a non-cleric source would be different though... I'll add that clausel in.

For Master Archivist maybe make learning a non-cleric divine spell via level up count as two of your (now 3) spells learned via level up?

As for Power Familiarity I like it fine as is, although a feat that adds 1 extra unique power per day (of any level up to 1 less than the highest level power you have?) might be a nice feat as well.

Good idea on the first!

Huh, I'll get to it. That'd be almost a must have though, so I guess I'll make it " of up to one less than the highest level power you can manifest. "