PDA

View Full Version : Coolest weapon enhancements

PanNarrans
2011-01-05, 08:31 PM
I'm playing Skych Mirasel, a crusader aiming to bind his grandfather's soul into his guisarme. With this sort of love for his weapon, I'm going to spend a lot on enchantments for it once we earn the gp. At the moment I've just got a Least Crystal of Return on it, to have it move from carefully wrapped and oiled on Skych's back to embedded in someone's skull as quickly as possible.

What're your favourite weapon enhancements? Not just mechanically; what's just really, really cool? Preferably cheap ones, since we're only level 3 at the moment, and eventually I'd like to have lots of little enchantments rather than one big one.

dsmiles
2011-01-05, 08:37 PM
I'm personally a big fan of the "burst" enchantments. Especially Holy Burst from the BoED. Less damage, but I love to yell, "Hoooooooooolyyyyyyyyy BUUUUUUUUUURRRRSSSSSSSST!!!" (It's almost as fun as yelling, "Dragon SLAAAAAAAAAVVVVE!!!!!" :smallbiggrin:)

Smeggedoff
2011-01-05, 08:39 PM
Icy burst
*rimshot*

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-05, 08:48 PM
Consumptive (MIC) is pretty cool; a weapon that draws in the light around it. Wounding is one of my favourites, especially if you've got several attacks, but not really for the coolness factor. Ghost touch is awesome...because it can touch ghosts, and I like a lot of the other ones from MIC, like Stygian and Vampiric.

Chilingsworth
2011-01-05, 08:53 PM
Force. only works on ranged weapons, but it ignores DR and incorporeality. Also, turning your ammo into bolts of force seems cool to me.

Greenish
2011-01-05, 08:54 PM
Everbright. Your weapon is so shiny that rust monsters can't eat it. In fact, it's so very shiny it'll blind said rust monsters if they even come close.

Knockback and Chargebreaker are funny too.

Doughnut Master
2011-01-05, 09:06 PM
Implacable. Weapon causes bleeding damage. Even cooler if the weapon is a voice inside the PC's head.

Acero
2011-01-05, 09:10 PM
Thindering Burst for nice sound effect?

Besides that, Crippling (-1 dex every hit), Cursespewing, and Vampric are always nice. Metaline if possible (no DR... at all for anything)

Elfin
2011-01-05, 09:13 PM
I'm personally a big fan of the "burst" enchantments. Especially Holy Burst from the BoED. Less damage, but I love to yell, "Hoooooooooolyyyyyyyyy BUUUUUUUUUURRRRSSSSSSSST!!!" (It's almost as fun as yelling, "Dragon SLAAAAAAAAAVVVVE!!!!!" :smallbiggrin:)

But nowhere as cool (or ridiculous) as FIVE SHADOW CREEPING ICE ENERVATION STRIKE!
On-topic, I find metalline to be quite cool, allowing you to change your weapon's material with a thought. Ooh, and brutal surge. You really can't get any more 'ka-pow!' value than that.

AslanCross
2011-01-05, 09:26 PM
I love bloodfeeding. In one case I fluffed it such that the sword had a wolf's head design on it that absorbed the blood, and that when the property's damage boost is activated, the blade explosively extends spikes while it's embedded in its victim.

Brutal Surge is also pretty awesome, as is fleshgrinding. D&D CHAINSAW MASSACRE! :smallfurious:

Stallion
2011-01-05, 09:33 PM
Hehe. A throwing master using fleshgrinding masterslaying daggers.

AslanCross
2011-01-05, 09:35 PM
Hehe. A throwing master using fleshgrinding masterslaying daggers.

Where's Masterslaying from and what does it do?

Stallion
2011-01-05, 09:38 PM
BoVD, and it attacks the person holding it for an autocrit if they aren't wearing the scabbard for the weapon. Also, it hits them as if they were flatfooted. Great for when they pull your grinding weapons out.

Roland St. Jude
2011-01-05, 09:43 PM
I like spell storing, assuming you have some means to get spells into it (which may be a spell-slinging buddy).

axiszer0
2011-01-05, 09:44 PM
Cursed Backbiter and Berzerking. Plus Mercy.
I made it for a Frenzied Berzerker who like to TPK the party.

Its fun to watch that guy flail himself half to death and then some more.
See, I don't appreciate guys who go, "Noooo I only do 150 damage per swing at 8th level" and frenzies himself in the middle of the party when he stubs his toe.

Jallorn
2011-01-05, 10:28 PM
Check out this PRC (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/xJ1VzXrzTxbe9Z8rXIV.html).

NX_Phoenix
2011-01-06, 01:31 AM
Dislocator (MIC 32) is a +1 weapon enhancement that three times a day makes whatever you hit next teleport 10 ft. The description says "target" instead of creature, meaning that someone with a decent imagination could come with some very creative uses both in and out of combat--especially on a reach weapon. Even without a wide definition of target there are a number of potential uses. In a game I'm currently in we have a Bard with a dislocator whip who uses it to great effect. In the last session he insta-disarmed an enemy and teleported a party member out of the mouth of a creature actively eating her.

If 10 ft isn't good enough for you then upgrade to Great Dislocator for 30 ft of teleportation.

dsmiles
2011-01-06, 05:48 AM
But nowhere as cool (or ridiculous) as FIVE SHADOW CREEPING ICE ENERVATION STRIKE!
Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity to yell that in the middle of a game. :smallfrown: I think the closest I've come is (literally) jumping up and yelling "ANCIENT MOUNTAAAAAIIIIINNNN HAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMEERRRRRR!"

Greenish
2011-01-06, 05:59 AM
Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity to yell that in the middle of a game. :smallfrown: I think the closest I've come is (literally) jumping up and yelling "ANCIENT MOUNTAAAAAIIIIINNNN HAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMEERRRRRR!"You can't use Stone Dragon maneuvers while jumping. :smallwink:

Asheram
2011-01-06, 06:32 AM
Bit expensive, as well as difficult to get past your DM, but the +2 Transmuting property is just plain silly in how good it is.
So good that my DM in fact banned it the moment I brought it up xD

Saintheart
2011-01-06, 07:42 AM
You can't use Stone Dragon maneuvers while jumping. :smallwink:

This is what Tiger Claw was invented for! RAAAAAGGGGIIINNG MONGOOOOOOOSSSEEE!!!! :smallcool:

Hyfigh
2011-01-06, 09:23 AM
I like: sizing, metalline, and morphing. Why be stuck with one weapon when you can have any that you'd like...?

Yora
2011-01-06, 09:25 AM
Icy burst
*rimshot*
Secconded. In every meaning of the term "coolest enchantment".
My favorite weapons have always been Frost Brands.

Discipol
2011-01-06, 09:44 AM
18-20 item, put Keen on it or the spell or the feat for it so its 15-20.

add Seeking so you dont miss.

Put Flaming Burst, Frost Burst, Shocking Burst and Acid Burst and Sonic burst if the DM lets you, no reason not to.

take two weapon fighting

when you crit, it hits hard, when you dont, it still hits hard. So many energy types and a creature immune to one of them will just mean 1d6 less.

Creatures immune to magic or universal energy are beyond this build, but its sweet :) take the feat Ancestral Relic and so that one of the swords is half price. Take 5 levels of Kensai and pay for +1 to +5 or from +6 to +10 with experience which is worth it in either case.

Yora
2011-01-06, 09:48 AM
Still not as good as casting Finger of Death.

boj0
2011-01-06, 09:54 AM
Wounding, Greater Wounding, and (I think) Bonegrinding; 4 Con damage on a hit :smallcool:

Emmerask
2011-01-06, 09:56 AM
Hm I like shocking burst the most I must say...
must have something to do with the emperors force lightning, seeing the movie as a kid made quite an impression on me ^^

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-06, 10:35 AM
Shadow Striking (ToM), simply say NO to any of the DR, yes even alignments based ones. it is a tad pricey (+3 bonus equivalent) but I am sure that any TWF will find it incredibly useful at higher levels where weird combinations of DR are starting to appear (silver and good or cold iron and good for example)

Swooper
2011-01-06, 10:40 AM
Mechanically, I'm a sucker for Stunning Surge/Sudden Stunning.

Otherwise... I like the image of a weapon with lots of stacked energy enhancements. A frosted blade, dripping acid and giving off sparks while also on fire. :smallbiggrin:

Person_Man
2011-01-06, 10:41 AM
Aurorum: Destroyed weapons made of this material can be re-formed as a full round action, restoring them to their previous state. Only a truly spiteful DM would Sunder your magical weapon. But if your ancestral weapon absolutely positively must survive every encounter, this is your best option. 6,000 gp, Book of Exalted Deeds pg 38.

Banishing weapon enhancement: Extraplanar creatures must Save or be sent back to their home plane. Pretty much an auto win button against summoned enemies, demons, devils, elementals, and many others. I wouldn't put it on your primary weapon, but it's nice to have as a backup. +3 bonus, Book of Exalted Deeds pg 113.

Explosive: Whenever you hit with this weapon, everyone within 5 ft of your target (including the target, and potentially you) takes an additional 2d4 damage (Save for half). Use it on a reach weapon if you want to avoid damage, or on a non-reach weapon with the Flame Cincture soulmeld bound to your Waist chakra, which provides Fire Resistance and allows you to deal the resisted damage against an enemy the next round as a Swift Action. +2 bonus, Complete Warrior pg 134.
th a limited number of times per day. 16,200 gp, Libris Mortis pg 80.

Paralyzing weapon enhancement: Any creature hit must Save or be paralyzed. They get a new save every round. +2 bonus, Book of Exalted Deeds pg 113.

Pandemonic Silver: Counts as alchemical Silver. And when you draw a weapon made of this material, everyone within a 30 ft radius (including your allies) must Save or Cower for 1d4 rounds. Now here’s the weird part. The Save DC is based on the speed of wind in the air. It’s bizarre, I know. But if you can get hurricane strength wind (through Control Weather, or an Air Elemental and a nice DM or whatnot) then the Save goes all the way up to DC 28. Price varies by weapon size, Complete Warrior pg 136.

Spellstrike: You can transfer some or all of the enhancement bonus of a weapon into an unnamed bonus to Saves vs. Spells and Spell-like abilities. Like Defending, you should put this enchantment on your gauntlets or armor spikes and cast Greater Magic Weapon on them. +1 bonus, Magic Item Compendium.

Vampiric weapon enhancement: Each hit heals a small amount of damage. +2 bonus. Unapproachable East pg 54.

Valorous weapon enhancement: Double damage on a charge. +1 bonus. Unapproachable East pg 54.

Viper weapon enhancement: Your weapon turns into a Viper which you can attack with. This essentially adds Poison damage to every attack you make. The Save DC is pitiful though, so this is only a good option at low levels. +1 bonus, Serpent Kingdoms pg 152.

Kilmrak
2011-01-06, 02:50 PM
Thindering Burst for nice sound effect?

Besides that, Crippling (-1 dex every hit), Cursespewing, and Vampric are always nice. Metaline if possible (no DR... at all for anything)

Where can I find Crippling, I've never seen it before?

Dralnu
2011-01-06, 02:56 PM
Brutal Surge. Hitting people so hard that they're sent flying is so awesome. Especially when you're fighting on the edge of a cliff. My evil titan had fun doing that against the party with his gargantuan +3 brutal surge adamantine warhammer. :smallbiggrin:

PanNarrans
2011-01-09, 09:46 AM
I love Brutal Surge already - my girlfriend spent a year playing a halfgiant with Knockback. Once she knocked a boss in a mechanised exoskeleton straight out the viewing window of his Doom Zeppelin.:smallcool: In the first round of the fight.
Dislocating sounds fun for similar reasons; I might take that instead of Brutal Surge, since I haven't got an amazing Str score or size bonuses. More versatile, too.
Definitely having it re-forged as an Aurorum weapon, that's just awesome. Also only 4000gp according to my copy of BoED!

Crow
2011-01-09, 09:59 AM
I like the Collision enhancement. +5 flat damage is always nice, and it outperforms most (element) burst enchantments in the long run.

Not sure if it gets multiplied by critical hits though.

Coidzor
2011-01-09, 10:28 AM
I think it does due to simply being extra (weapon) damage and nothing more, so anything that multiplies weapon damage (like charging or critting) will multiply it too.

2xMachina
2011-01-09, 10:29 AM
Pandemonic Silver: Counts as alchemical Silver. And when you draw a weapon made of this material, everyone within a 30 ft radius (including your allies) must Save or Cower for 1d4 rounds. Now here’s the weird part. The Save DC is based on the speed of wind in the air. It’s bizarre, I know. But if you can get hurricane strength wind (through Control Weather, or an Air Elemental and a nice DM or whatnot) then the Save goes all the way up to DC 28. Price varies by weapon size, Complete Warrior pg 136.

Pandemonic Silver quickrazor. Free action SoL.

ShriekingDrake
2011-01-09, 10:41 AM
I like the Collision enhancement. +5 flat damage is always nice, and it outperforms most (element) burst enchantments in the long run.

What source is Collision from?

Coidzor
2011-01-09, 10:42 AM
What source is Collision from?

Expanded Psionics Handbook (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm) I think that's the name. It's also in the SRD though.

The-Mage-King
2011-01-09, 10:52 AM
Burning and Hidaway- +2 to initiative while in hand, and the weapon fits in you hand? Excellent combination.

Emmerask
2011-01-09, 11:58 AM

It does, and from a mechanical standpoint it is among the top enhancements, though from a visual standpoint (which I would associate with the overall "coolness" factor) it is quite mediocre,
no sparkling, no dripping acid, no flames, smoke or ectoplasma makes me a sad panda ^^

FMArthur
2011-01-09, 12:01 PM
Pandemonic Silver quickrazor. Free action SoL.

Not quite, since the free sheathe is part of an attack. Still, everyone saves vs cowering every time you attack with this quickrazor. :smalleek:

Eldariel
2011-01-09, 12:09 PM
Collision, just 'cause "I set InsertMySwordNameHere™ on a Collision course with the Overmind" :smalltongue: (obviously your character has to be psionic)

2xMachina
2011-01-09, 12:18 PM
Not quite, since the free sheathe is part of an attack. Still, everyone saves vs cowering every time you attack with this quickrazor. :smalleek:

Use it with Karmic Strike or Robilar's for more power. Maybe with Double hit to TWF on AoO.

"Attack me, do you? Cower from my counterattack!"

grimbold
2011-01-09, 03:41 PM
i LOVE flaming weapons burst or otherwise, nothing is cooler than being all Eragon-like with your version of brisingr

nyarlathotep
2011-01-09, 04:02 PM
I forgot the name of it, but there is an enchantment in friends and foes that heals you equal to half damage dealt.

true_shinken
2011-01-09, 04:06 PM
Nothing in D&D stands in the same level of ridiculous coolness as FIVE SHADOW CREEPING ICE ENERVATION STRIKE!!!

In topic, I'm a fan of collision, magebane and defending.

I forgot the name of it, but there is an enchantment in friends and foes that heals you equal to half damage dealt.
The book is called Enemis & Allies, actually. The enchantment is called Wrathful Healing, it's a +3 equivalent.

herrhauptmann
2011-01-09, 05:54 PM
Smoking +1 from Lords of Darkness. 20% miss chance. Hand this to a shocktrooper making heavy use of heedless charge.
Blueshine/Durable and Everbright are among my favorites for laughing at the DM's advanced rust monster or weapon/armor eating oozes.
Anti-impact Complete Warrior. "So what I fell 300 feet and I'm a 5th level warrior. I stand up, brush myself off, and start shouting curses at the guy who pushed me. " (I know 3 of those were for armors, but they're so useful, I have to mention them)

Zaq
2011-01-09, 06:37 PM
Illusion Bane and Illusion Theft, both from the MIC, are awesome. Illusions have a pretty good chance of shutting down a lot of fightin'-man types, and those two enhancements give you a chance to tell them to piss off. Your foe is just going to have to find some other way to become untouchable.

Masaioh
2011-01-09, 06:57 PM
For flavour, souldrinking. (BoVD)

For effectiveness, hideaway and/or sizing. (Both from MiC)

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-11, 05:21 AM
I have always liked the Whirling enchantment (MIC) for the pure crazyness.
And Explosive is pure awesome fluff-wise; *stab - BOOM!*

Put it on a Necklace of Natural Attacks and you have exploding fists!

ShriekingDrake
2011-01-28, 10:29 AM
I've always like Warning, as the benefit to initiative is nice.

SurlySeraph
2011-01-28, 05:44 PM
Souldrinking, because I have an irrational love of level drain. Prismatic Burst is also pretty cool.

Explosive: Whenever you hit with this weapon, everyone within 5 ft of your target (including the target, and potentially you) takes an additional 2d4 damage (Save for half).

I made a Scout build using an Explosive weapon and Boots of Sidestepping (Dungeonscape), which give you a free 5' step when you need to make a Reflex save. Using explosions to propel yourself around your opponent so you can stab him in the back is a flawless strategy.

JaronK
2011-01-28, 06:12 PM
Lifedrinker (on an undead character) because I love taking out enemies without caring about their hitpoint totals. Keen/Enfeebling is an awesome combo (but always on something with an 18-20 crit range) and Blurstriking is a common favorite since I like playing Factotums. Shadowstriking can be a lot of fun too.

JaronK

Escheton
2011-01-29, 03:50 PM
Pure good, +1, 1d6 extra dmg to non-good targets
Holy, +2, +2d6 extra dmg to evil targets
Heavenly burst, +1, +3d6 and blindness on crits to evil targets
Merciful, +1, +1d6 extra dmg and turns all dmg to subdual. can be turned off.

LikeAD6
2011-01-29, 03:52 PM
Shock in 3.5/Lightning in 4. It looks absolutely awesome, and as a plus, not many creatures have resistance to it.

Greenish
2011-01-29, 03:57 PM
I made a Scout build using an Explosive weapon and Boots of Sidestepping (Dungeonscape), which give you a free 5' step when you need to make a Reflex save. Using explosions to propel yourself around your opponent so you can stab him in the back is a flawless strategy.That… that's beautiful!

Re'ozul
2011-01-29, 04:37 PM
Melee: dunno

Ranged: Splitting + Speed on both bows of an arrow demon (who has improved rapidshot). Because you can never have too many arrows.

Qwertystop
2011-01-29, 04:52 PM
Vorpal is great on:
Daggers
Throwing Axes
Glaives
Guisarmes

Because there is NO logical way you can decapitate someone with a throwing ax, as the blade would be moving DOWNWARD.
Daggers are just too small for that.
Glaives and Guisarmes are just fancy spears, you'd be slicing somebody's leg and <pop> off goes their head.

Actually, if Vorpal is interpreted as "<pop>, goodbye head", then it's funny on anything. Or if you let people put Vorpal on a bludgeoning weapon.
"I hit you with a Vorpal Sap! Your head falls off!"

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-29, 06:25 PM

It doesn't have to stop there! Bring out the Explosive Sap! "Don't worry, you won't feel a - BOOM"
also, Vorpal sling stone: <thunk-pop>

herrhauptmann
2011-01-29, 09:44 PM
Vorpal is great on:
Daggers
Throwing Axes
Glaives
Guisarmes

Because there is NO logical way you can decapitate someone with a throwing ax, as the blade would be moving DOWNWARD.
Daggers are just too small for that.
Glaives and Guisarmes are just fancy spears, you'd be slicing somebody's leg and <pop> off goes their head.

Actually, if Vorpal is interpreted as "<pop>, goodbye head", then it's funny on anything. Or if you let people put Vorpal on a bludgeoning weapon.

Umm, Vorpal has to be a slashing weapon. It's in the description.

That said, I've seen 3rd party enchantments that are a +5 cost, take effect on a nat 20, and are insta-kill. For both bludgeoning and piercing.
As for glaives, well I don't have a copy of the PHB glaive handy, but I'm pretty sure that as real weapons they have a slashing head on the end. So they CAN be used for chopping. Just that many glaive vs glaive fights tend to look similar to spear fights.

Greenish
2011-01-29, 09:54 PM
Or if you let people put Vorpal on a bludgeoning weapon.Umm, Vorpal has to be a slashing weapon. It's in the description.Try reading what you quoted again. :smalltongue:

AerykVyrion
2011-01-29, 10:36 PM
I like: sizing, metalline, and morphing. Why be stuck with one weapon when you can have any that you'd like...?

+1!

My favorite weapon ever (slightly off topic, since it doesn't apply in your situation) was a Sizing Morphing Transmuting Skillful spoon that my artificer kept in his breast pocket.

starwoof
2011-01-29, 10:49 PM
I've been dying to play in a dnd game as a player so that I can make a warforged who uses a set of throwing/returning spiked gauntlets. Pshew! Rocket fists!