PDA

View Full Version : Is there a diplomatic prestige class in 3.5?

Scalenex
2011-01-05, 10:39 PM
In my homebrew world I am working on, gnomes were created to make peace between dwarves, elves, and humans. I thought about creating a prestige class called Gnomish Peacemaker with various diplomacy based bonuses. Then it occurred to me that there probably already is a similar class I can just adapt to gnomes rather than reinvent the wheel.

I turn this question to the forumites with their superior knowledge of obscure supplements.

If there isn't one already, the prereqs would be relatively easy to figure out though I may slide the numbers

~8 ranks diplomacy, ~5 ranks in Sense Motive, ~4 ranks in at least three of the following knowledges local, geography, nobility and royalty, religion, minimum ~4 languages, Negotiator Feat.

What I'm less sure on is what class abilities would be balanced

Elric VIII
2011-01-05, 10:58 PM
The Marshal class gains Skill Focus (Diplomacy) and has an aura that gives everyone a bonus on Cha based checks equal to your Cha modifier. It would be a good starting point for designing a PrC. Think about a diplomat who radiates with Charisma and confers non-combat bonuses to allies.

Mountebank from Complete Scoundrel is sort of a decietful con-man, gaining Int modifier as a bonus to Diplomacy along with alter-egos.

You can use Exemplar in Complete Adventurer to focus on diplomacy-related skills, abilities, and feats.

teslas
2011-01-05, 10:59 PM
I am not very good at diplomatic solutions, nor is my knowledge of such things very good, but I think you're looking for the Spymaster PrC. That's what I would use.

Complete Adventurer, p.77

Draz74
2011-01-05, 11:18 PM
Exemplar, Complete Adventurer
Evangelist, Complete Divine

sonofzeal
2011-01-05, 11:27 PM
Evangelist and Emissary of Barachiel are the two that jumped to my mind. Fiend of Corruption for the other end.

Gabe the Bard
2011-01-05, 11:38 PM
The closest thing that I can think of is the Ruathar prestige class from Races of the Wild. They're friends of the elves, but they may or may not be elves themselves. One of their abilities is Words of Friendship, which identifies them as Ruathar to any elves that they addressed, causing them to start out with a friendly or helpful attitude. Perhaps you could adjust the ability so that it applies to dwarves and humans as well.

The prerequisites you suggested sound a bit steep but reasonable since those are all skills that the character would use often. How about giving some bonuses to diplomacy, bluff and gather information? Maybe the bonuses could increase based on your class level.

turkishproverb
2011-01-06, 03:40 AM
Evangelist, Complete Divine

Dwarf Evangelist: "Brothers and Sisters, I tell you this: Do not trust the orc, or the Goblin. For they are green and thus obviously covered with mold"

Serpentine
2011-01-06, 03:59 AM
A few spells spring immediately to mind - Calm Emotions, for example. With a quick look at a list of Prestige Classes I happen to have open...

Apostle of Peace is the first one to come up. Book of Exalted Deeds. Very much a divine class, with very steep requirements, but looks like a good place to start.
Divine Disciple from... whatever PGF is, but not so much as the Apostle.
Emissary of Barachiel, also from Book of Exalted Deeds, is another possibility. Bit more of an evangelist, though.
Then, of course, there is the Evangelist. Complete Divine.
There's something called a Jobber, from Dragon Magazine #310, who is the "face" of halfling communities.
Mindbender, from Complete Arcane, would probably be quite good at diplomatic tasks, but not really made for that.
Spymaster, from Complete Adventurer, has already been mentioned.
World Speaker - Dragon #311 - could be worth a squiz.

Myth
2011-01-06, 04:38 AM
Wasn't there a Divine spell that allowed a +20 to a skill check? Diplomacy is all about skill checks after all. A silent still casting of this or a contingent spell set up would make your inital talk an absolute success. Pre-Epic Diplomacy is not [mind-affecting] so if they are listening, you've got them hooked.

My two copper pieces, seeing as how most of the prestige classes have been covered. Perhaps if you are a favored soul instead, seeing as how you'd still cast divine spells but with Cha maxed.

Darrin
2011-01-06, 08:28 AM
Wasn't there a Divine spell that allowed a +20 to a skill check?

Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a). I think you can stack it with divine insight (from the Spell Compendium).

Discipol
2011-01-06, 09:48 AM
barbarian + frenzy berserker, get trait that lets you use strength instead of charisma for intimidate.

I loosely remember a prestige that let you use an attack at highest bab as a check for intimidate.

Btw intimidates makes the person your friend for a bit of time, better than diplomacy :D since its hard to counter it

Eldan
2011-01-06, 09:56 AM
The Virtuoso has a few abilities that work a little like Diplomacy, but are not quite diplomacy.