PDA

View Full Version : Invention Assistance!

Anxe
2011-01-05, 11:08 PM
Hey everybody! I usually hang out in the Role-Playing Games section of the Forums, but I figured I'd drop on over to the Friendly Banter section cause I needed some help. I've got an invention I'm working on, but I've hit a snag. I'd rather not say what the invention is out of sheer paranoia.

What I need for the invention to continue is some copper or nickel based transparent paint. It must have copper or nickel ions floating around in it and it must be transparent.

What I'd like from you guys:
A statement on whether the paint exists or not.
A place to buy the paint.
Instructions on how to mix the paint.
Other constructive or destructive rambles that inevitably happen in any conversation on the internet.

That being said, anyone who helps out gets a cookie.

Thanks,
Anxe

Dr.Epic
2011-01-05, 11:37 PM
Would you be building a freezeray? I know how to make one of those.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-01-06, 12:23 AM
Nickel I'm not sure about, but copper-based paint will not be transparent. Copper ions will always color the solution blue-green.

RS14
2011-01-06, 12:23 AM
Can you say why it has to contain copper or nickel? If all you need is conductivity, try this company (http://www.hrhzbj.com/en/ProductView.asp?ID=253).

There is also this patent (http://www.patents.com/coating-material-forming-transparent-conductive-film-6921788.html) for a similar paint. Note that it contains an oxide powder, and could presumably be adapted to do what you want.

leakingpen
2011-01-06, 01:02 AM
transparent AND colorless?

Kislath
2011-01-06, 01:12 AM
Sometimes, in fact most times, in order to invent one thing, you must first invent another.

Anxe
2011-01-06, 09:53 AM
It does need to specifically contain copper or nickel ions. And I need transparent. The color of the paint doesn't matter. Could the copper paint be transparent while still being blue-green?

DeadManSleeping
2011-01-06, 09:59 AM
This is pretty difficult without knowing what you want out of transparent paint. Why does the thing need to be painted if you're supposed to see through it anyway?

Anxe
2011-01-06, 10:01 AM
Cause I need my copper or nickel ions smothered all over it.

DeadManSleeping
2011-01-06, 10:14 AM
Hmm...some chemistry should be able to get you a solution of copper or nickel ions in just plain water, shouldn't it? Would that work, maybe?

Manga Shoggoth
2011-01-06, 11:47 AM
You could always try mixing copper or nickel dust (or salts thereof) in with clear varnish, I suppose. Any DIY shop (and model shop if you don't want a large tin) will sell varnish.

As far as ions are concerned, you won't get very many as they tend to show up only in solution (or a particle accelerator...), and only then when a current is applied. when the paint drys then your ions will recombine with their opposite numbers. It's the difference between copper sulphate solution (ions) and crystal (ionic lattice).

Anxe
2011-01-06, 12:06 PM
Plain water would be nice, but then the application to the surface wouldn't be thick enough to be considered "smothered." I'm looking into that conductive paint that RS14 pointed out.

leakingpen
2011-01-06, 12:08 PM
transparent means that light passes through it. Red glass is transparent, but not colorless. It would be simple to make a pain that is transparent with copper in it, but its going to be blue or green colored, so its going to filter light. Is the color of the light coming through important?

Anxe
2011-01-06, 12:17 PM
The color of the light going through is unimportant. Could be red with purple spots and I wouldn't care, as long as some light goes through.

Prime32
2011-01-06, 12:20 PM
On the off-chance that plants are involved, green light would just be reflected and provide little nourishment.

Anxe
2011-01-06, 12:39 PM
Nah, no plants. Entirely inorganic.

RandomNPC
2011-01-06, 05:38 PM
Cause I need my copper or nickel ions smothered all over it.

Just so I know the person who said this, and what they said it about, once this thing is invented, and all coppyright laws have been applied, can I buy one from you? I don't care what you're inventing, I want one, just so I have something to show people when I say that.

Prime32
2011-01-06, 06:11 PM
Will silver ions work? IIRC they're used to purify tap water in the US.

Anxe
2011-01-06, 06:19 PM
Nope, silver won't work. It's got to be Nickel or copper. And yes I can tell ya what it is if it gets bought and produced by a company.

Jimorian
2011-01-07, 07:48 AM
As somebody up thread noted, your copper or nickel ions won't DO anything once the paint dries.

leakingpen
2011-01-07, 12:41 PM
okay, in that case, copper carbonate, dissolved in alcohol. mix into boiled linseed oil (the base for oil based paint) or polyurethane liquid, paint and dry. nice and easy.