PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] ECL 40 NPC Help/Challenge - Bring on the cheese!

JupiterPaladin
2011-01-06, 12:20 AM
I have been out of the D&D loop for a long time so I came back to the playground for help with an NPC. This dude can be an ally or BBEG depending on the group encountering him. I have a generic concept in mind, I just need help building it. Any/all 3.5 sources are legal (including 3rd party books & Dragon Magazine).

Base ability scores:
STR 17, DEX 18, CON 14, INT 17, WIS 13, CHA 18

Bonus powers:
Wearbear template (free for ECL considerations)
Gaseous form at will

Required:
Race - Halfling (any breed) or Whisper Gnome
Build - Rogue type gish (prefer spontaneous caster type), melee heavy
Epic spellcasting

Preferred:
Thrown weapons (Master Thrower?)
Devastating Critical (just cool for our gaming style)
Crafting skills - prefers to make his own equipment

Be as abusive as you like within RAW. This dude has access to 21,000,000gp to equip himself, don't be afraid to use it! Use any combos you can to max out his versatility and survivability solo (he has no party).

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-01-06, 12:32 AM
Being abusive as you want by RAW? Be a 21st level caster. Use epic spells. Sip tea with yourself every Tuesday, but only live on Tuesdays.

Kilbourne
2011-01-06, 02:59 AM
Dude, you're the DM; if you want him to have Hide in Plain Sight and cast 9th level spells at the same time, you can do that. This world is your whim, and as long as it isn't "GM versus players" then you'll be fine.

The BBEG in mine game is a necromancer, in full-plate, casting off of his Cha attribute. Do what you want!

Runestar
2011-01-06, 04:51 AM
Dude, you're the DM; if you want him to have Hide in Plain Sight and cast 9th level spells at the same time, you can do that. This world is your whim, and as long as it isn't "GM versus players" then you'll be fine.

The BBEG in mine game is a necromancer, in full-plate, casting off of his Cha attribute. Do what you want!

So you are playing a ... dread necromancer? :smalltongue:

Kilbourne
2011-01-06, 03:24 PM
So you are playing a ... dread necromancer? :smalltongue:

I suppose! Still, it's a PF game, so my players are wracking their brains to figure out what build I discovered that lets me field this character.

And I thought it was light armor only for the dread necromancer?

Myth
2011-01-07, 05:38 AM
I have been out of the D&D loop for a long time so I came back to the playground for help with an NPC. This dude can be an ally or BBEG depending on the group encountering him. I have a generic concept in mind, I just need help building it. Any/all 3.5 sources are legal (including 3rd party books & Dragon Magazine).

Base ability scores:
STR 17, DEX 18, CON 14, INT 17, WIS 13, CHA 18

Bonus powers:
Wearbear template (free for ECL considerations)
Gaseous form at will

Required:
Race - Halfling (any breed) or Whisper Gnome
Build - Rogue type gish (prefer spontaneous caster type), melee heavy
Epic spellcasting

Preferred:
Thrown weapons (Master Thrower?)
Devastating Critical (just cool for our gaming style)
Crafting skills - prefers to make his own equipment

Be as abusive as you like within RAW. This dude has access to 21,000,000gp to equip himself, don't be afraid to use it! Use any combos you can to max out his versatility and survivability solo (he has no party).

Whisper Gnome or Strongheart Halfing (obviously). I'd go for the former for a sneak. Swap Con and Cha scores.

However for this build I have to suggest going Human to take advantage of Able Learner, otherwise Epic casting will come in too late for your gish due to Spellcraft and Knowledge requirements. Not to mention Sublime Chord's perform requirements and Knowledge: arcana of 13 as well.

We have lots of int to play with. Best capitalize on that My suggestion:

Human

Bard 1 (Bardic music) take Able Learner
Swashbuckler 3 (grants Insightful Strike)
Rogue 2 (2d6 SA) take Daring Outlaw next level
Assassin 9
Sublime Chrord 10
Spellwarp Sniper 5
Archmage 1 For Arcane Reach
Spymaster 7
Incantatrix 2

Result: Epic Spellcasting, level 9 Arcane Spells, all Assassin Spells, 14d6 SA, Insightful Strike, Deep Cover, Arcane Reach and some daily uses of Metamagic Effect which will allow you to persist buffs. Able Learner means you have maxed Spellcraft which is necessary for Epic Casting.

Runestar
2011-01-07, 07:04 AM
I suppose! Still, it's a PF game, so my players are wracking their brains to figure out what build I discovered that lets me field this character.

And I thought it was light armor only for the dread necromancer?

Battlecaster feat to cast in medium armour, mithral fullplate is medium.:smallbiggrin: