PDA

View Full Version : Stealth

Amador
2011-01-06, 02:09 AM
So, I just did a quick search for guides and or threads of stealthiness but couldn't find much. Assuming a solo character, what would be a good build for a master of stealth and infiltration by night, innocent seeming noble by day?

EDIT: Books allowed are Core, Races, Complete series and Savage Species

Derjuin
2011-01-06, 02:12 AM
If Core includes PHBII, you could make it a Beguiler - you get a great selection of stealth/illusion spells, while still having awesome skill selection, like bluff etc. Plus, your spells are Int-based, so pumping your Int results in more skills *and* more spells.

Amador
2011-01-06, 02:19 AM
While i don't have PHBII I can get a copy quickly. Beguiler sounds like an awesome idea.

Glimbur
2011-01-06, 02:26 AM
There's a feat in Lords of Madness called Darkstalker. It lets you Hide and Move Silently against unusual detection types, like Blindsight and Tremorsense... but it's not on your allowed books list. So get tricky: unusual detection types have a maximum range. Work your knowledge skills so you know how far a particular creature can detect, and stay outside of that range.

Wear armor just so you can put Shadow and Silent Moves on it.

Beguiler is solid. Many suggest a dip in Mindbender to delay Advanced Learning and to qualify you for Mindsight, also from Lords of Madness, to have your own excellent detection method.

Amador
2011-01-06, 02:34 AM
I'll look into getting a copy of LoM, it seems pretty delicious.

absolmorph
2011-01-06, 02:50 AM
There's a feat in Lords of Madness called Darkstalker. It lets you Hide and Move Silently against unusual detection types, like Blindsight and Tremorsense... but it's not on your allowed books list. So get tricky: unusual detection types have a maximum range. Work your knowledge skills so you know how far a particular creature can detect, and stay outside of that range.

Wear armor just so you can put Shadow and Silent Moves on it.

Beguiler is solid. Many suggest a dip in Mindbender to delay Advanced Learning and to qualify you for Mindsight, also from Lords of Madness, to have your own excellent detection method.
Note that clothes count as armor with a +0 AC bonus and no max Dex bonus or check penalty.

Greenish
2011-01-06, 06:20 AM
A rogue with shadowdancer dip might be serviceable.

Cog
2011-01-06, 10:14 AM
Note that clothes count as armor with a +0 AC bonus and no max Dex bonus or check penalty.
That's a 4e rule only, as far as I know. There's some tricks you can pull off with clerics and robes to get around it, but that doesn't mean all clothing works that way.

Bakkan
2011-01-06, 01:19 PM
As far as race goes, from your sources it sounds like Whisper Gnomes from Races of Stone would be perfect, and they qualify you for Shadowcraft Mage if you want to be a powerful caster.