PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help for a 3.5 lover! (Vampire Sorcerer)

Vemynal
2011-01-06, 05:08 AM
I'll say this first because its so important: We are *only* allowed to use pathfinder sources for this game. No 3.5 backwards compatible material.
(sticking to the PHB and advanced PHB would be good since those were the only two books at the table today that I had my hands on)

So long story short I'm working on a vampire Sorcerer who heavily focuses on Illusion, Necromancy and Enchantment.

He uses his magic (illusion and enchantment spells) as well as his appearance to convince people he is in fact a girl.
http://tearsofhell.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/evangeline__black__1024x768_by_v2gundam.jpg

I'm level 9 with an ECL of 11 (next level I will have 5th level spells)

So my question is: what are the major differences between pathfinder and 3.5 sorcerer?
what spells would you suggest from these schools?
using only pathfinder sources what are some cool tricks able to be done with these spells?
what feats would you suggest?
What items (with 25k gold) would u suggest?

my stats are(after vamp stat boosts):
str - 18 (+4)
dex - 16 (+3)
con - n/a
int - 18 (+4)
wis - 18 (+4)
cha - 22 (+6)

side note: holy balls the vampire template is insane in pathfinder! when I originally proposed my character having the template I was thinking the really bad 3.5 version!
And I am loving the charisma bonus to health for undead!

Burnheart
2011-01-06, 10:31 AM
If your looking for pathfinder stuff try this place http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Tael
2011-01-06, 12:25 PM
Actually, the vampire template has no listed LA, on +2 CR, which is very different than LA. It not actually a playable race in PF. (but no LA races are, so talk to your DM.)

SamsDisciple
2011-01-06, 12:54 PM
and a quick tip is to browse the sorcerer bloodlines, they are what make the sorcerer amazing in PF

Loren
2011-01-06, 01:47 PM
as noted, vampire is problamatic. Personally, if a player proposed it to me I'd be tempted to up the adjustment from or use the 3.5 version, noting that the 3.5 one is a LA 8/CR+2 and weaker. To make a vampire a valid option as a DM I'd be sure to play up the weaknesses (no exposure to sunlight, cannot enter buildings without an invite from the owner, etc).
-The Ancient Young variant ablity looks like it may be of interest for this character

The major difference between a PF and 3.5 sorc is the fact that the PF one gets class features. These primarily come in the form of their bloodlines, which the play chooses and represent the source of the sorc's magic powers.
For the character proposed the undead bloodline looks like a reasonable option. Shadow would also give vampire-y options.

Kaldrin
2011-01-06, 03:02 PM
It was my understanding that the CR+ affected the CR calculation of the party's encounters and wasn't meant to impact the levels because the LAs were out of whack to begin with.

Vemynal
2011-01-06, 04:15 PM
long story short- DM has given the ok on playing a vampire, in fact my ECL is 4 levels higher then the rest of the party. This is on purpose and he apparently has some huge reasoning for this that he has yet to even really explain to me

Rixx
2011-01-06, 09:15 PM
If you don't want to deal with the missing levels, consider being a Dhampir from Bestiary 2 instead - it's a half-vampire humanoid with no level/CR adjustment.

You get immunity to energy drain effects (more or less - you can still be killed by negative levels, but having negative levels instills no effect on you), but you also have negative energy affinity, meaning you take damage from positive energy and heal from negative energy (which a normal vampire would anyway).

Mojo_Rat
2011-01-06, 09:28 PM
First for a Sorcere you need to pick a Bloodline.

Secondly Pathfinder uses CR to determin what appropriate level something i

So Well use an Example a Human level 6 sorcer is CR 5 (level -1)

A Human Vampire Sorcer level 6 would be CR 7 ( the cr 5 +2)

This tell us a level 6 human vampire sorcer starting is appropriate if all the other Pc's are level 8.

Starting off hed be level 8 Xp and have two Dud levels.

I dont know the Math behind it but as he gains levels, the diferende between him and the other party members will lessen. But it will look something like this (and please keep in mind this is by example the actual setup may be wrong i just havent checke dmy book

Vampire Party
Sorcerer 6/vamp 2 Other Pc's 8
Sorcerer 7/vamp 2 Other Pc's 9
Sorcerer 8/vamp 1 Other Pc's 10
Sorcerer 10/vamp 1 Other Pc's 11

Eventually removing the difrences entirely. i cannot remember which page number its on where it explains this.

The over all idea works pretty good but it works better for low CR creautures better than others or something like a Centaur.