PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

alpha9, aka Jim
2011-01-06, 10:41 AM
I am doing a presentation on art in a few days and have chosen OOTS as one of the pieces to present

What I would like to know is if these two comics show the evolution of the writing and art style in the comic

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0090.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0766.html

If anyone has better ideas I would love to hear them

Swordpriest
2011-01-06, 10:59 AM
This probably isn't much help, but it looks like you've made a good choice, if for no other reason than that the characters are running for it in both of those strips, so it's kind of a direct comparison.:smallwink:

(Edit: why the heck do I keep getting two smilies every time I click the button once?)

Morquard
2011-01-06, 12:17 PM
While they're running in both strips in the #90 one they're more jumbled together and its probably hard to see.
Also it features mainly goblins and empty rooms, not too much of the Order itself.
The second strip has no goblins, and only two of the order, and some guards that weren't around in the first one.

I don't know what you're looking for of course, but if you look at the way the mouths are drawn in the earliest strips when someone talks and then how its done today. When Elan found out what the 200ft flaming letters were made of, his expressions shows everything, I don't think you saw something like that in the beginning.
Or maybe Xykon then and now is a huge difference too in drawing style.

Alagaesian
2011-01-06, 03:12 PM
I personally think it would be better to compare The Semi-Secret Origin of Elan and Nale (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) with The Significantly-More-Secret Origin of Tarquin and Nale (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html). On a visual level, there is a definite contrast of background complexity, color choices, and overall neatness of the drawings. On a literary level, it shows how the older comics were more light-hearted and based on humor, while the newer ones are more firmly grounded in the story. Also, they both give enough story context to each other for your class/teacher to know what's going on with out too much explanation.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-06, 03:18 PM
I don't want to nitpick, but to show evolution you need to present different examples each from a different point to show progress. Showing only one comic doesn't present an example of evolution as the newcomer may just think "So the comic is just always like this." You might want to show some of the early joke-a-day strips and then show some of the more complex and deep strips.

Firemeier
2011-01-06, 06:25 PM
I don't want to nitpick, but to show evolution you need to present different examples each from a different point to show progress. Showing only one comic doesn't present an example of evolution as the newcomer may just think "So the comic is just always like this." You might want to show some of the early joke-a-day strips and then show some of the more complex and deep strips.

And that's why he chose two strips. :smallconfused:
One from the early Dungeon Crawlin Fools era and the most recent one, so the evolution could be seen. (Or the progress in art, if you don't want to call it evolution with only two samples.) Though I agree with Alagaesian that 50 and 725 would work better in terms of comparability.

alpha9, aka Jim
2011-01-06, 09:43 PM
I'm presenting tomorrow

thank you for all the constructive advice

MoonCat
2011-01-06, 11:22 PM
Good luck!

Morquard
2011-01-07, 12:23 PM
I'm presenting tomorrow

thank you for all the constructive advice

Good luck with it.

Let us know how it went, will you?

alpha9, aka Jim
2011-01-08, 04:21 PM
it went great

the class like the two comics I showed and my teacher enjoyed seeing something completely different than what anyone else showed

MoonCat
2011-01-08, 04:40 PM
Hooray! Did anyone want to read the rest of OoTS?

Firemeier
2011-01-09, 08:54 AM
it went great

the class like the two comics I showed and my teacher enjoyed seeing something completely different than what anyone else showed

Congrats!
Which two did you go with, eventually?

Swordpriest
2011-01-09, 02:40 PM
Congratulations! Did anyone ask what the URL for the comic is? Any chance of new blood showing up on the forums soon? :smallsmile: