PDA

View Full Version : If OOTS was an animated series/movie

Forlong
2011-01-06, 01:40 PM
Saw a thread about OOTS being made into a live-action movie. I would be against that. It isn't called "Order of the Live-Action Characters", after all. Now an animated series or movie would work in my opinion. But who would do the voice acting? Let's discus that, shall we?

John DiMaggio would have to voice someone. I'm thinking Redcloak, "It", Soon, and maybe Xykon.

Tara Strong is another strong (hee hee) voice actor. She'd be good for Miko.

Watchdog
2011-01-06, 02:55 PM
Xykon: James Earl Jones

Althrun83
2011-01-06, 03:12 PM
Xyxon= Mark Hamill. re: The Joker

O-chul= O-chul. (nobody is awesome enough to voice Him but Himself.)

Roy= Michael Dorn or Ron Glass
Haley=
V=
Elan=
Durkon=
Death's Little Helper=
Scruffy= Frank Welker

Hmmm I'll need to think about it more.....

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-06, 03:51 PM
Scruffy= Frank Welker
:smallconfused: You'd get a voice actor of Frank Welker's calibre to do nothing but the occasional incidental meow? Before casting almost all of the major roles?

Cizak
2011-01-06, 04:03 PM
John DiMaggio would have to voice someone. I'm thinking Redcloak, "It", Soon, and maybe Xykon

Who's "It"? :smallconfused:

faustin
2011-01-06, 05:11 PM
Haley= Nicole Sullivan (aka Shego, Drew Saturday)
Miko = Grey DeLisle (Azula of Avatar the Last Airbender)

Dr.Epic
2011-01-06, 05:23 PM
John DiMaggio would have to voice someone. I'm thinking Redcloak, "It", Soon, and maybe Xykon.

Nah, you got to voice him as Belkar.

MoonCat
2011-01-06, 07:26 PM
Please someone find a person to be voiced by Eric Idle! Pleaaaaase!

Dr.Epic
2011-01-06, 08:30 PM

Why can't you think of a person in the comic?:smallconfused:

Also, Jackie Chan should be the voice of O-Chul.

MoonCat
2011-01-06, 08:43 PM
I can't think of anyone. Maybe Roy? Or Belkar? One of the snarkers shouldd be played by him, I just can't think of anyone.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-06, 08:56 PM
I can't think of anyone. Maybe Roy? Or Belkar? One of the snarkers shouldd be played by him, I just can't think of anyone.

Then maybe he shouldn't be voicing someone from the comic.

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-06, 09:28 PM
The only reason to cast Jackie Chan in anything is for his stunts. He can't act worth a damn; in fact his English isn't even that great. He's the last person I'd want doing voiceover work.

Nevitan
2011-01-06, 10:05 PM
The only reason to cast Jackie Chan in anything is for his stunts. He can't act worth a damn; in fact his English isn't even that great. He's the last person I'd want doing voiceover work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Chan_Adventures

I'm pretty sure he wasn't in this for his stunt work.

Cizak
2011-01-06, 10:09 PM
Seriously, can someone enlighten me on who "It" is? I'm not joking, I seriously want to know. Did the OP mean MitD?

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-06, 10:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Chan_Adventures

I'm pretty sure he wasn't in this for his stunt work.
I don't believe he did any voiceover work in it either. Didn't he just introduce the episodes?

Seriously, can someone enlighten me on who "It" is? I'm not joking, I seriously want to know. Did the OP mean MitD?
I expect so. That was the name used for the monster when he lived in the circus in SoD, after all.

Nevitan
2011-01-06, 10:14 PM
I don't believe he did any voice-over work in it either. Didn't he just introduce the episodes?

Huh, apparently they just had him do some of the exertion noises. Imagine that.

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-06, 10:21 PM
Huh, apparently they just had him do some of the exertion noises. Imagine that.
Really? I didn't know that, but I guess it makes a certain amount of sense. He's probably pretty good at making fighty noises.

But if he isn't considered good enough to do his own voice in a cartoon, then I DEFINITELY wouldn't want him doing O-Chul's. :smallwink:

Forlong
2011-01-06, 10:22 PM
Who's "It"? :smallconfused:
The monster in the shadows.

I honestly don't think Nicole would be the right voice for Haley. Maybe one of the other females in the series.

Nah, you got to voice him as Belkar.

Oh, that would be good. "Bite my glorious, halfling ass!"

aart lover
2011-01-06, 10:32 PM
Roy: Samuel L. Jackson
Haley: Debi Mae West

Coidzor
2011-01-06, 10:52 PM
James Sie is the guy who voiced the character "Jackie Chan" on the show Jackie Chan Adventures. I could see him maybe as Daigo

Possibly Sab Shimono (AKA uncle from Jackie Chan adventures) for Shojo or maybe, playing up his annoying voice angle Kubota? Since Mako's a bit out of the running.

Alternatively, the guy who did the voice of Aku from Samurai Jack might make a good Kubota, playing up the nefariousness. Oh, wait, no, that was Mako. If necromancy is involved, then Mako. Maybe James Avery (Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince, Shredder from the original? TMNT cartoons)?

I'm trying to think of a deviously cultured voice for that interpretation of the voice and drawing a blank, really.

Bill Billingslea (Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop) for O-Chul. Maybe Steve Blum (voice of Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop) for Hinjo.

For Haley, maybe Christy Romano who did Kim Possible instead? She is an action girl, after all.

Hmm, should Elan and Nale have the same voice actor?

Althrun83
2011-01-07, 12:27 AM
:smallconfused: You'd get a voice actor of Frank Welker's calibre to do nothing but the occasional incidental meow? Before casting almost all of the major roles?

:smallwink: I was mostly teasing. Though Mr. Welker has done a LOT of animal voices in animation over the years. Aside from that I was thinking he'd be good for Kubota.

MoonCat
2011-01-07, 12:37 AM
Thinking about Avatar: The Last Airbender
Whoever voiced Fire Lord Ozai would be good for Kubota.
I totally agree with Furlong about Azula/Miko
And he who voiced Zuko... Give him Nale to play with

Althrun83
2011-01-07, 12:54 AM
Thinking about Avatar: The Last Airbender
Whoever voiced Fire Lord Ozai would be good for Kubota.
I totally agree with Furlong about Azula/Miko
And he who voiced Zuko... Give him Nale to play with

Fire Lord Ozai in the animated series was Mark Hamill.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-07, 01:27 AM
John Rhys-Davies as Durkon.

eggynack
2011-01-07, 01:31 AM
Alternatively, the guy who did the voice of Aku from Samurai Jack might make a good Kubota, playing up the nefariousness. Oh, wait, no, that was Mako. If necromancy is involved, then Mako. Maybe James Avery (Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince, Shredder from the original? TMNT cartoons)?

Mako was pretty much my first instinct for casting, but I thought of him as playing O-Chul. The fact that O-Chul is bald makes me think of him as older then he is. Now I am sad.:smallfrown:

ThePhantasm
2011-01-07, 08:00 AM
:roy: Samuel L. Jackson (Unbreakable)
Jackson can be both funny and a badass. Perfect for Roy.

:nale: Jack Black (Kung Fu Panda)
I can see Jack Black being an over-the-top maniacal villain as Nale, while at the same time being naive as Elan.

:redcloak: Brad Dourif (The Lord of the Rings)
Dourif could give Redcloak the sofistication and subdued anger that he needs, while at the same time playing Vaarsuvious, whom he fits well with his androgynous voice.

:belkar: Mark Hamill (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm)
Hamill is probably the best voice actor on this list, able to pull off a variety of voices from the Joker to Solomon Grundy. This is why he would be a perfect choice for the killer jokester Belkar while at the same time playing a naive but powerful MITD.

:durkon: Mike Myers (Shrek)
Mike Myers, with his scottish accent, would be a great Belkar, and I have no doubt he'd pull off a funny Thog as well with a different, deeper voice.

:xykon: Kevin Conroy (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm)
Conroy is sofisticated, wryly humored, and menacing enough to be Xykon easily.

:elan: Jack Black (Kung Fu Panda)
See above about Nale.

:vaarsuvius: Brad Dourif (The Lord of the Rings)
See above about Redcloak.

:haley: Dana Delany (Superman: The Animated Series)
Dana Delany can be spunky, feisty, and also naive and vulnerable. A perfect Haley in my opinion.

:thog: Mike Myers (Shrek)
See above about Durkon.

:miko: Yuunjin Kim (LOST)
This is probably the casting I'm least confident in. Kim can pull off an emotionless voice pretty well though, which would fit Miko's coldness, and can also yell pretty loud, which would fit Miko's temper tantrums.

:sabine: Bonnie Hunt (Cars)
Someone with past voice experience, who could pull off a deceptively innocent voice that would be great for Sabine.

:mitd: Mark Hamill (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm)
See above about Belkar.

Forlong
2011-01-08, 01:26 AM
Roy: Samuel L. Jackson

That's IT!
I'VE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHER*&!%ING GOBLINS, IN THIS MOTHER*&!%ING DUNGEON!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :smalltongue:

Though Sammy is a great actor, I don't think he'd be quite right for Roy. Jackson is better suited for characters that shout a lot.

aart lover
2011-01-08, 01:45 AM
That's IT!
I'VE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHER*&!%ING GOBLINS, IN THIS MOTHER*&!%ING DUNGEON!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :smalltongue:

Though Sammy is a great actor, I don't think he'd be quite right for Roy. Jackson is better suited for characters that shout a lot.

oh? and what about Debi Mae West for Haley?

Forlong
2011-01-08, 02:09 AM
oh? and what about Debi Mae West for Haley?

Never heard of her.

Bleak Ink
2011-01-08, 02:15 AM
:redcloak: Brad Dourif (The Lord of the Rings)

I'm finicky about RC voice castings (nobody ever seems to really fit), but I must say, that is the finest suggestion I've heard for him.
And I've always imagined that goblins would have voices different than humans.. Raspier.

Capt Spanner
2011-01-08, 10:30 AM
:sabine: Bonnie Hunt (Cars)
Someone with past voice experience, who could pull off a deceptively innocent voice that would be great for Sabine.

You know those ideas you wish you'd thought of, but didn't, and then when someone else thinks of it you kick yourself because it feels so astoundingly obvious, even thought it's not.

Yeah. This is one of those.

Genius.

Xcentrikz
2011-01-08, 11:01 AM
Heyya guys, we were inspired to make this several weeks ago, our circle of friends has so much fun with the OOTS game. Put it up recently, hope you guys get some laughs. Keep reading OOTS and have fun.
http://xcentrikz.comicgenesis.com/d/20110103.html

aart lover
2011-01-08, 11:32 AM
Never heard of her.

either you've been living under a rock, or you own a 360, not a ps3. Debi Mae West voices Meryl, a character in the series Metal Gear Solid. she did an awesome job of it, too. in my opinion she would be perfect for Haley.

Callos_DeTerran
2011-01-08, 01:26 PM
Why can't you think of a person in the comic?:smallconfused:

Ron Perlman should be the voice of O-Chul. Search your heart, you know it to be true. :smallamused:

0tt3r
2011-01-08, 02:15 PM
George Takei as O'Chul!

faustin
2011-01-08, 03:06 PM
What about Sean Connery for Lord Shojo? Yeah, he is now old but still has a majestic, charismatic voice.

Forlong
2011-01-08, 11:03 PM
either you've been living under a rock, or you own a 360, not a ps3. Debi Mae West voices Meryl, a character in the series Metal Gear Solid. she did an awesome job of it, too. in my opinion she would be perfect for Haley.

Living under a rock because I didn't remember one name? It's not like she was in anything else impressive. The only other thing I found that was of note was voicing Tsunade in "Naruto". I just couldn't attach the name with the voice.

Anyway, she would probably be a good voice for Haley.

MammonAzrael
2011-01-08, 11:51 PM
What about Sean Connery for Lord Shojo? Yeah, he is now old but still has a majestic, charismatic voice.

I dunno...Patrick Stewart could be pretty awesome for Lord Shojo. He can do the serious, the intelligent, and the loony.

Keinnicht
2011-01-08, 11:55 PM
I said it in the Live Action Thread, and I'll say it here.

Samuel. L. Jackson. Is. Roy.

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES.

"I am so tired of these (censored) holes in this (censored) reality!"

EDIT: Ninja'd by a Tarrasque Ninja with Slow cast on it.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-09, 12:17 AM

He's retired.

Darth V.
2011-01-09, 01:28 AM
I gotta say Nathan Fillion for Roy
seriously, whenever I read the comic I imagine him having this voice anyway, just think of these lines:
"wow, that's so stupid I feel dumber just hearing it"
"So much for the bonds of love, or at least the bonds of mutual lust"
"You Broke My SWORD!"
Besides which, he has voice acting experience in the Halo Games.

MammonAzrael
2011-01-09, 03:57 AM
Currently watching an episode of Firefly, and I have to agree with the suggestion of Nathan Fillion as Roy.

Additionally, I think Ron Glass could make a good, insightful, awesome O-Chul.

Sadly no one grunts enough to truly be worth Adam Baldwin. :smalltongue:

Zageidh
2011-01-09, 04:47 AM
I am highly disappointed that no one has not cast Christopher Lee yet.

Coidzor
2011-01-09, 05:38 AM

As who? Shojo? Xykon? Tarquin? Malack? That gnome druid? Dorukan?

Hmm... Ian McKellan... anyone he'd go well with?

...And what direction would one go with for Eugene Greenhilt?

Commander672
2011-01-09, 09:26 PM

That...would be freaking awsome!

aart lover
2011-01-09, 11:36 PM
is it just me, or does leonardo dicaprio belong somewhere in here?

MoonCat
2011-01-09, 11:55 PM
Dominic Armato (Guybrush Threepwood) voicing Elan.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-09, 11:57 PM

Two things:

-Why don't you cast him as someone?
-You're double negative implies someone already did.

Eleanor_Rigby
2011-01-10, 10:26 AM
Ho hum. I've not done one of these before so I'll give it a whirl :smallbiggrin: I'll be mildly surprised if anyone agrees with me on any of these though!

The OotS:
Roy = Reginald D. Hunter
RDH is a stand up comic and probably doesn't actually do any acting, but a performer's a performer so... yeah. Chosen because he is 'cool' and laid back but can also do sarky and incredulous quite well... and because I couldn't think of anyone else I thought would be 'better' who'd not been mentioned.
Elan = Dave Goelz
Largely so the founder of the church of Banjo would be a puppeteer :smalltongue: But also pretty much anyone who worked on the muppet show has got to be wacky enough and have enough of a childlike feel with a flair for the dramatic to be Elan/Nale and possibly Tarquin. Goelz is one of the few 'original' mupeteers still with us and has quite a good range, although admittedly I can't think of one of his existing characters who sounds like I imagine Elan to. Goelz can carry a tune nicely enough and as Gonzo the Great has performed various melancholy songs which indicate he could pull off a fairly poignant "Buddy Roy". (And yes, I realise Dave Goelz is considerably older than Elan. But that doesn't mean his voice is.)
Haley = Karen Gillan
Her hair is the right colour! :smallsigh: Karen's also dabbled in comedy (although I've not seen any of it) I'm pretty much purely going by her role as Amy Pond in Doctor Who who's fairly plucky and duplicious. Also from watching Confidential it's obvious that the actress herself is a lot of fun with a good sense of humour, plus she ought to be familiar with voice work thanks to the Who video games and audio adventures.
Belkar = Steve Whitmire
Another muppeteer. I struggled to come up with somebody I could name who would work as Belkar. Very few people seemed to work for both the pithy remarks and the stab happyness that Belkar has. For some reason I can imagine most of Belkar's attitude being covered by Steve Whitmire who voices Rizzo the Rat, including the ability to split fans down the middle about whether or not he's annoying.
Vaarsuvius = Chris Barrie
Ok, so I chose an obviously male actor/comedian. The fact that I suspect V is/ was originally meant to be male might have something to do with this, but people unfamiliar with Barrie might have to look him up since the name's a unisex one and he used to do impressions a fair bit in the eighties I believe so between him putting on a voice and a bit of technological intervention he could probably be made to sound gender-ambiguous quite easily. Chosen for the bitterness, ability to deliver wordy lines, lack of social ability/charm and irritability demonstrated by his portrayal of Arnold J Rimmer of Red Dwarf. Having listened to bits of his radio readings of the Red Dwarf novels, I think he could probably manage Vaarsuvius quite easily.
Durkon = Rob Brydon
I live in Scotland. I thought of 'casting' a Scot for Durkon but in the end I couldn't do it. Durkon's accent as written wouldn't sound anything like a natural scots accent (or not one I've heard) and it would be perverse to cast a scot as a character doing an imitation of a scots accent (unless you got Sean Connery, who does this all the time, but I don't think he's right for Durkon anyway, retired or no.) So... Rob Brydon. He's welsh so he has a naturally 'unusual accent' for many American viewers (possibly) but he also likes putting on voices anyway so would probably have fun with the role. He can be grumpy and serious but is also a silly enough comedian to accept the whole tree-phobia schtick and go with it.

Team Evil:
Xykon = Robert Webb
Redcloak = David Mitchell
Apart from Redcloak being Xykon's bitch, Xykon and Redcloak's relationship is actually fairly similar to the typical Mitchell and Webb duo. Redcloak is fairly introverted in his own space, is pedantic and is often ranting and he's fairly nerdy. Xykon's more confident, off the wall and wacky. I'm not completely convinced that this would work but I spent so long thinking of the OotS members that by the time I got to Team Evil I was feeling lazy. I hadn't thought of David Mitchell as Redcloak before, and his voice can be quite grating but in some ways I can just about see it and maybe goblin voices are just a little annoying to humans? Meh.
MitD = Noel Fielding
I think he'd probably have a lot of fun with this role in a goofy voice. A problem with most of these would be that they'd be unlikely to stay to the script and not ad-lib things, but it is just for the fun of things and nobody's going to take us up on these anyhow.

Linear Guild
Nale = Dave Goelz
As with Elan, really.
Sabine = Lenora Crichlow
Can do a bit of comedy and a bit of drama. Would probably work best as deceptively sweet version of the character.
Thog = Dara O'Briain
I don't know why really, but I can sort of imagine it. Would Thog being voiced by an Irish man make the whole leprechaun thing more or less amusing? I suppose it might take the edge of the randomness of his arrival in the outfit a bit :smallfrown:

Ah well. That's all I'm going to do. Feel free to criticise if that's what y'all want. I wonder how many folk will have actually heard of half of these? I should maybe have put in links....

Tannhaeuser
2011-01-10, 01:53 PM
This question came up a while ago in a couple (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121533)of threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120360).

Jjeinn-tae
2011-01-10, 02:43 PM
Roy as David Hayter.

:belkar: "Hey Roy, I've got the next best thing: My Ring of Jumping +20. Take it and get all up in his business."

:roy: "So it'll make me jump higher, huh?" *grunt of understanding*

It would make conversations with Elan hilarious, but for serious suggestions...

:roy: I think he needs a powerful, but deep voice, can't think of a specific person at the moment.
:belkar: Richard Horvitz, don't know why but it just sounds right to me.
:thog: Whoever voiced the Peon Orcs in Warcraft III
:miko: I'd second Faustin's suggestion of Grey DeLisle
:xykon: I know the perfect voice for it... I just can't remember who's it is, or where I heard it. :smalltongue:
:redcloak: Has either a deep voice, or a squeaky voice. I would put forward Christopher Lee, or his henchman in LoTR, who played Wormtongue

Eugene Greenhilt: Morgan Freeman
Shojo: Another Voice Actor I don't know the name of, and from an obscure game no less... Wizardry 8, one of the male player eccentric voices ("I believe there is something to be seen in all things unseen, you see?")

MammonAzrael
2011-01-10, 03:32 PM
:thog: Whoever voiced the Peon Orcs in Warcraft II)

I dunno. Thog is stupid, but he isn't particularly slow (at least not when I read his not-nale speech).

Might work if they didn't talk as slowly.

Scarlet Knight
2011-01-11, 04:08 PM

:roach: Eric Idle, John Cleese , & Michael Palin

Also :

:mitd: Tim Curry ( wonderful mix of evil & comedy)

MoonCat
2011-01-11, 04:09 PM

You get a hug Scarlet Knight

Forlong
2011-01-11, 07:43 PM
I dunno...Patrick Stewart could be pretty awesome for Lord Shojo. He can do the serious, the intelligent, and the loony.
"Mr. Scruffy, engage!"

This question came up a while ago in a couple (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121533)of threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120360).

Ah, but neither of those is asking about an animated movie. BOOYAH!

DZ-Battra
2011-01-11, 08:01 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again: Christopher Lloyd would make a perfect Xykon, though I did see the idea in another thread that had Willem Dafoe as Xykon, and that would make another great option.

As for others...

These are perfect. I think I imagined Grey as Miko the moment I first saw her without the hood.

MitD: Someone with a voice that's both deep and childish at the same time (Bill Fagerbakke, maybe?)
Qarr: Again, someone with a menacing voice, only it's menacing with only a hint of sycophancy. Timothy Spall hits the sycophant part right, but I don't know if he's menacing enough.
Nero: Tim Curry - Nero is probably the least serious of the Three Fiends, but is still certainly menacing
Lee: Ralph Fiennes. Don't know why, it just sounds right.

Coidzor
2011-01-11, 08:19 PM
:mitd: Tim Curry ( wonderful mix of evil & comedy)

I dunno if Tim Curry could really capture the naivety and innocence of MITD. Though I'm now wracking my brains to think of who would be good to have Tim Curry do.

BRILLIANT!

Eleanor_Rigby
2011-01-11, 08:25 PM
I dunno if Tim Curry could really capture the naivety and innocence of MITD. Though I'm now wracking my brains to think of who would be good to have Tim Curry do.

If the current arc featured an Emperor of Blood I think I'd know just who. If Tim Curry were a woman he'd be perfect for that part, IMO. (Yes, I know men play female parts all the time but female performers have a tough enough time as it is without that sort of thing)

PsychedelicBard
2011-01-11, 08:31 PM
Oh, come on, people!

O-chul = Chuck Norris
'Nuff said.

Scarlet Knight
2011-01-11, 10:20 PM

I'd hate to waste Tim Curry for the IFCC, but it would be a good fit.

Wait: IFCC of Tim Curry, Christopher Lee, & Christopher Walken !

Coidzor
2011-01-11, 11:41 PM
I'd hate to waste Tim Curry for the IFCC, but it would be a good fit.

Wait: IFCC of Tim Curry, Christopher Lee, & Christopher Walken !

Now... there's an... idea. :smallamused:

ThePhantasm
2011-01-14, 04:30 PM

It's come up more often than that. This sort of topic reappears every now and then...

Grumpy-Mcfart
2011-01-16, 01:51 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

:roach: Joel Hodgson, Micheal J. Nelson, and the rest of the MST3k guys

Azuyomi244
2011-01-19, 08:24 AM
Alan Tudyk would be awesome for Nale/Elan

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-19, 09:26 AM
O Chul as Norio Wakamoto speaking Engrish