PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite mundane items

WarKitty
2011-01-06, 02:05 PM
I'm looking for small mundane items that could come in handy in various circumstances. For this exercise alchemical items are not mundane. So far I have the obvious: caltrops, bag of flour, bunch of rope. I'm trying to simulate a crazy prepared character. Items do NOT need to be listed in a sourcebook to be considered, but they do need to be something easily available to a medieval society. Preferably nothing that would cost over 100gp - I'm looking for little kit things, not big purchases.

Ideas, playground?

Edit: Before anyone says it, stuff like shapesand and whatever feat it is that lets you pull out small items without having bought them beforehand are not in play. It's a PF core only game, with the addendum that mundane items not listed may be purchased for a reasonable price.

Edit 2: Mundane here means "exists in real life, or could easily be crafted in real life in a medieval society." So no aboleth mucus or gnome springwalls, as they don't exist in this world.

senrath
2011-01-06, 02:10 PM
I'm a fan of getting a crowbar and several bags of marbles (A&EG).

Sarakos
2011-01-06, 02:10 PM
Iron pot to cook that rabbit the ranger found, pour boiling water/oil on invaders while defending a castle or just plan smash someones face with it if they ambush you while the party is breaking camp and doesn't yet have it's weapons and armor

Edit: I've recently been made to rgeret no having a set of manacles on me several times in two different camapaigns. Grappling hooks are useful at low levels but become particularly useful in an urban campaign or arc where magic is heavily regulated in-city

WarKitty
2011-01-06, 02:11 PM
I'm a fan of getting a crowbar and several bags of marbles (A&EG).

I think I've got 4 bags of marbles already. Would a crowbar fit into my handy haversack? That's the other limitation, has to be under 8ft in length.

monkeysammich
2011-01-06, 02:11 PM
Soap. Because nothing confuses a Dwarf more than handing him a chunk of soap and nodding at him mysteriously.

Also works on Orcs, Half-Orcs and Hill Giants.

senrath
2011-01-06, 02:13 PM
Yeah, a crowbar'll fit. It's only a couple feet in length, and only weighs 5lbs. It's also pretty cheap at 2gp.

Elric VIII
2011-01-06, 02:16 PM
I like small mirrors, I usually carry two at once. Good for signalling w/o magic if the party splits, looking around corners, killing that one random medusa that wanders up to the party, etc.

I also always carry a quarterstaff, all the core classes can use it as a weapon, it's about 60% as good as a as a 10ft pole (6ft quarter staff), and fits in a handy haversack.

Prybar, because sometimes you want the uppity rogue with his sissy 'open lock' skill to suck it.

WarKitty
2011-01-06, 02:17 PM
I suppose I should provide a current list:

ale (5)
armor grease
belt pouch
journal book (stat as travelling spellbook)
caltrops, 5
canvas, 2 square yards
chalk, 5 pieces
climber's kit
dagger, 4
dark reaver powder
darts, 20
disguise kit, 2
drill
drow poison, 10 doses
Everburning torch
flask, 6
flint and steel
healer's kit
ink
Jewelry
lamp, 2
leeching kit
marbles,3
oil, 2 pint
parchment (10)
pen
Purple worm poison, 1 dose
rations, 10
rope, 50ft
sack
sealing wax
ring, poison pill (2)
smokestick
soap
spell component pouch (2)
tanglefoot bag
torch, 3
waterskin
whetstone
Winter blanket
wrist sheath, spring-loaded (2)

I know not all of those are strictly mundane, but should give you an idea. I'm a bard and the party stealth and trap person.

Cieyrin
2011-01-06, 02:44 PM
I've always been a big fan of Gnomish Springwalls (A&EG), for that nonmagic battlefield control we all occasionally crave.

I've also favored a creation of my own which I call a Gnomish Lantern, which is basically a bullseye lantern which can be converted into a hooded lantern by unscrewing the lantern from its base so the base lowers and throws light in all directions. Because, seriously, I can never decide which kind of lantern I'd rather have, so why not both? :smallwink:

SuperFish
2011-01-06, 02:45 PM
Five pieces of chalk is not enough, I've found.

Doughnut Master
2011-01-06, 02:48 PM
Negotiation aids: Manacles, a sledge hammer, and a big scary guy to hold them.

Also, 20 foot ladder. It's funny to carry around; though there are restrictions on carrying capacity, I haven't seen anything on carrying size.

The-Mage-King
2011-01-06, 02:50 PM
Combat Aids: Aboleth Mucus and Eggshell Grenades (Dust).

What else could you need?

WarKitty
2011-01-06, 02:53 PM
Combat Aids: Aboleth Mucus and Eggshell Grenades (Dust).

What else could you need?

That was the "PF core only with reasonable exceptions" clause. See my edit to the first post.

Ajadea
2011-01-06, 02:59 PM
I know I've crushed chalk to find invisible enemies. One piece coats a large creature, apparently. It's cheaper than flour, I think.

Besides, you need flour to explode things.

And how did people forget the Rubber Bouncy Ball from Dungeonscape? Throw it down a corridor to check for traps or just bean someone in the head with it.

Elric VIII
2011-01-06, 03:02 PM
...whatever feat it is that lets you pull out small items without having bought them beforehand...

What feat would this be?

nedz
2011-01-06, 03:03 PM
A Jar of Lard.
Uses include: Lubricant, Grease, Insulation, Waterproofing, ..., oh and you can even eat it :smallbiggrin:

DMClockwork
2011-01-06, 03:04 PM
Candles can be useful. Not only are they super cheap light sources, they're great delayed fire-starters and sources of wax, which can be used to gum up all types of devices and as temporary waterproofing for small objects.

As an added bonus, I hear they're also quite romantic :smallwink:
Crazy prepared, indeed...

WarKitty
2011-01-06, 03:06 PM
What feat would this be?

I'm not even sure if it's a feat or an item or a racial trait.

Greenish
2011-01-06, 03:08 PM
I'm not even sure if it's a feat or an item or a racial trait.Feat in D20 modern, a class feature of the Pathfinder PrC, if my memory serves.

[Edit]: Pathfinder Chronicler, is the name of the PrC.

Grelna the Blue
2011-01-06, 03:13 PM
Small containers (e.g., sacks, vials, flasks) to gather up and store something you find and want to keep.

A scroll tube with a few sheets of parchment, paper, or papyrus

A razor (unless you've got a cantrip that duplicates the effect)

A comb.

A skinning knife.

Fishline and hooks.

Cookpot and/or frying pan.

Elric VIII
2011-01-06, 03:20 PM
Feat in D20 modern, a class feature of the Pathfinder PrC, if my memory serves.

[Edit]: Pathfinder Chronicler, is the name of the PrC.

Thanks.

Also, for items (looking over one of my character sheets):

- Spade
- Holy Symbol
- Bag of Flour
- Bag of Rocks
- 2 Steel Mirrors
- Crowbar
- Bow & Arrows
- Grappling Hook Arrow
- Climbing Pulley
- Pitons
- Longspear

WarKitty
2011-01-06, 03:24 PM
Thanks.

Also, for items (looking over one of my character sheets):

- Spade
- Holy Symbol
- Bag of Flour
- Bag of Rocks
- 2 Steel Mirrors
- Crowbar
- Bow & Arrows
- Grappling Hook Arrow
- Climbing Pulley
- Pitons
- Longspear

I'm sort of curious what the purpose of the holy symbol and bag of rocks are?

Elric VIII
2011-01-06, 03:31 PM

Holy Symbol is probobly only useful to a Cleric (which I was) disregard that. Although, I suppose you could bluff people into thining you're a holy man, using it for a circumstance bonus.

Bag of Rocks is to create noise/distract guards and to check for traps like pressure plates. Also, rocks are pretty easy to find, you're mostly just buying a bag.

Also, according to Douglas Adams, a towel is invaluable. So it can't be a bad idea. "DON'T PANIC"

EDIT: For the holy symbol, think Assassin's Creed I, blending in with the monks.

Lysander
2011-01-06, 03:31 PM
Here's a few ideas:

Hidden ankle sheath with dagger

An abacus - For performing complex calculations on the fly. See if your DM will let you use a calculator in real life if you have this with you.

A live mouse - useful to test for poison. keep it in a cage as a beloved pet until it croaks.

Spices - a useful trade good, and a valuable amount can be carried in small vials. Plus it makes food taste good.

A cold weather outfit - for that +5 bonus on fortitude savves

A pork sausage spiked with sleeping drugs - Useful for knocking out guard dogs and other monsters.

An hourglass

A compass

An astrolabe

A set of global and local maps

A magnet

A bottle of very strong whiskey - it can sterilize water and wounds, or be used to bribe people

Ice skates

Snowshoes

Hammer & nails

Sling and metal bullets - and when you run out of ammo you can use pebbles

String - when a rope is just too thick

A horn or whistle - useful for alerting allies

Dacia Brabant
2011-01-06, 03:38 PM
A halfling on a 10-foot pole. It's good for everything! (except the halfing)

But seriously, I was always partial to Greek fire, especially in a naval setting or as a guaranteed troll-killer.

boomwolf
2011-01-06, 03:44 PM
a sheet of lead.
a brick (no joke, it actually came handy once...)
a set of springs
magnets if possible

Greenish
2011-01-06, 03:47 PM
Holy Symbol is probobly only useful to a Cleric (which I was) disregard that.Anyone can use a holy symbol to keep a vampire at bay, at least in 3.5.

Though a mirror works just as well, for some reason. Maybe vampires worship themselves?

Cieyrin
2011-01-06, 04:06 PM
Anyone can use a holy symbol to keep a vampire at bay, at least in 3.5.

Though a mirror works just as well, for some reason. Maybe vampires worship themselves?

All vampires are narcissists, obviously. :smalltongue:

ArcanistSupreme
2011-01-06, 04:11 PM
I vote for more tanglefoot bags. Those things are just darn useful.

EDIT: Depending on level. Based on some of the stuff you have, I would guess you're at mid-levels or thereabouts, so they might be slightly less useful at that point.

Grelna the Blue
2011-01-06, 04:12 PM

At least in past editions (not positive about 3.5 without looking it up) holy symbol could be used for touch attacks vs undead, doing damage equivalent to holy water. Even better, they bypassed any DR they might have.

And, as already mentioned, it can be used to ward off vampires and is good for that alone.

Dead_Jester
2011-01-06, 04:13 PM
A halfling on a 10-foot pole. It's good for everything! (except the halfing)

Actually, make that an 11 foot pole and the halfling a slave/expendable summon/BSF.

Talon Sky
2011-01-06, 04:38 PM
Also, according to Douglas Adams, a towel is invaluable. So it can't be a bad idea. "DON'T PANIC"

Don't forget to bring a towel!

Seriously, I think a lot of DMs would never think to take into consideration how wet a character is in an encounter unless they have a towel and it makes the DM think. Being soaking wet should add time to donning armor, and maybe a -1 to attacks (as your feet are wet and you're slipping, or your hands are wet and you can't get as good a grip on your weapon).

Asheram
2011-01-06, 04:43 PM
Actually, make that an 11 foot pole and the halfling a slave/expendable summon/BSF.

Collapsible. It's difficult to get over the embarrasment of getting stuck in a door due to the pole being in the way

Lysander
2011-01-07, 12:53 PM
At least in past editions (not positive about 3.5 without looking it up) holy symbol could be used for touch attacks vs undead, doing damage equivalent to holy water. Even better, they bypassed any DR they might have.

And, as already mentioned, it can be used to ward off vampires and is good for that alone.

Also a clove of garlic can be used by anyone.

WarKitty
2011-01-07, 01:35 PM
So things to add to my list:

Crowbar
Iron Pot
Manacles
Grappling hook
mirrors
string
quarterstaff
candles
towel
meat of some sort (or cheese?)
hourglass
whistle
razor

I'm intentionally leaving out survival items for backstory reasons, as well as items for extreme weather. The background is less of an outdoors dungeon-crawling character and more of an urban bard/assassin. Also most grooming and cleaning supplies, as PF has unlimited cantrips and I've got prestidigitation.

Keinnicht
2011-01-07, 04:48 PM
Iron pot to cook that rabbit the ranger found, pour boiling water/oil on invaders while defending a castle or just plan smash someones face with it if they ambush you while the party is breaking camp and doesn't yet have it's weapons and armor

Edit: I've recently been made to rgeret no having a set of manacles on me several times in two different camapaigns. Grappling hooks are useful at low levels but become particularly useful in an urban campaign or arc where magic is heavily regulated in-city

I always get manacles, rope, and grappling hooks.

Tyndmyr
2011-01-07, 04:49 PM
There is no problem that cannot be solved with a thousand marbles, a rope, and a sack. NONE.

MammonAzrael
2011-01-07, 04:51 PM
Rubber balls, from Dungeonscape. Truly fantastic little things, they can be fun, useful, or devastating (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html).

Volthawk
2011-01-07, 05:57 PM
Rubber balls, from Dungeonscape. Truly fantastic little things, they can be fun, useful, or devastating (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html).

Also, if you're pulling from there, most the mundane stuff there might be useful.

Savannah
2011-01-07, 06:11 PM
A compass. I'm always shocked that it's not on the standard equipment table...in fact, I've not been able to find it anywhere in 3.5. Quite useful at times, though.

dsmiles
2011-01-07, 06:44 PM
I always carry chains and locks. Sometimes the bad guy you want to question is just too strong for ropes to hold. (Plus, improvised weapon anyone?)