PDA

View Full Version : 3.P Gestalt Sorcerer gish spell list help

iDesu
2011-01-06, 06:03 PM
Right now I'm working on a for a gestalt campaign. We use the base pathfinder classes and feat progression. Currently the build is

Paladin of Holy Light 2 / Kobold Fighter 4 / Monk 2 / Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 1 / Paladin 2/ Sorcerer 1 / Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 1 / Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 1
and
Sorcerer 5/ Abjurant champion 5/ Swiftblade 10

What would be some good spells to help me out both offensively and defensively. I mainly want to use my spellcasting to assist in combat through spells like benign transposition and buff up my combat capabilities through things like wraith strike and greater luminous armor.

Godskook
2011-01-06, 06:23 PM
1.What feats do you have, as your access to metamagic will affect choices somewhat.

2.I can't help making some build suggestions, so Unarmed Swordsage gets everything that monk gets(including improved unarmed strike) except the bonus feats, and in return, you get maneuvers, which are *AWESOME*. Replacing the monk levels would be a good idea, imho. And while I'm on the subject, why 10 levels of paladin?

3.Ascetic Mage works with both Unarmed Swordsage and Monk, and gets you Cha to AC for a single feat. Arcane Strike is great as well.

4.Ah right, the spells....Steel Dance, Cloud of Knives, and Dancing Blade. Each of these will provide you with free action attacks, and 2 of them are persistable without reducers by level 18. Heroics and Mirror Move both up your fighter feats(note that you can get shock trooper this way), and the duration on Heroics is good enough that you can afford to recast it when you have long days, while Mirror Move is persistable. The Heart of X line of spells is great for survivability(note that temp HP from different sources should stack). Wraithstrike is the most commonly cited persistable spell.

iDesu
2011-01-06, 06:41 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is that we're using the base pathfinder classes over 3.5 material so I should go back and edit my post after this to make things clear, my apologies about that.

1.What feats do you have, as your access to metamagic will affect choices somewhat.
I pretty much have access to any feats. So far I was intending Asectic Mage for Cha to AC, Arcane strike, Underfoot combat, Extend and Persist metamagic

2.I can't help making some build suggestions, so Unarmed Swordsage gets everything that monk gets(including improved unarmed strike) except the bonus feats, and in return, you get maneuvers, which are *AWESOME*. Replacing the monk levels would be a good idea, imho. And while I'm on the subject, why 10 levels of paladin?

I thought about the ToB classes but my DM hasn't read over them yet, however after telling him about Jade Phoenix Mage he was very amused. Since he hasn't read the rules for them yet I wanted to stick to something he knew. The fact that I could get Ascetic Mage also helped.

Paladin at the end was because I really couldn't thing of much else to take and it fit the character. I was actually planning on going Paladin of Holy Light so that I get rid of the paladin spellcasting and can focus on the martial aspects.

3.Ascetic Mage works with both Unarmed Swordsage and Monk, and gets you Cha to AC for a single feat. Arcane Strike is great as well.

So Ascetic Mage does work with Swordsage? That does open up the possibility of that over monk. I may have to modify my build for five-shadow creeping ice enervation strike.

4.Ah right, the spells....Steel Dance, Cloud of Knives, and Dancing Blade. Each of these will provide you with free action attacks, and 2 of them are persistable without reducers by level 18. Heroics and Mirror Move both up your fighter feats(note that you can get shock trooper this way), and the duration on Heroics is good enough that you can afford to recast it when you have long days, while Mirror Move is persistable. The Heart of X line of spells is great for survivability(note that temp HP from different sources should stack). Wraithstrike is the most commonly cited persistable spell.

Currently I had in mind greater luminous armor, shield, scintillating scales, haste, wraithstrike. Though Heroics would be a good choice as well. In which books can I find Dancing Blade and Steel Dance?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-01-06, 06:49 PM
I'm not sure you need more than four levels of Paladin unless you want that mount, in which case you probably want more levels of Paladin. But you didn't ask about the levels, so I'll focus on spells. Ah, PF Paladin.

As a gish, you mainly want to be hitting things in the face, albeit with magical style, so you want to focus on swift action spells (like wraithstrike, a solid pick), Abjurations, and out-of-combat buffs. With your high BaB and minor case of MAD (you still need STR/CON and some DEX with low armor), ray spells work better than Save-or-X for you. If you can talk your DM into it, a custom Runestaff (MiC) with all the Heart of [Element] spells is very thematic and very useful. All that said, here's a level-by-level list of spells off the top of my head that you might find useful. Bolded are my must-haves for sorcerer gishes:

Level 1: True Strike, Benign Transposition, Shield*, Ray of Enfeeblement
Level 2: Ray of Stupidity, Mirror Image, False Life, Wings of Cover*, Wraithstrike*, Heart of Air
Level 3: Greater Enlarge Person**, Anticipate Teleportation, Haste, Fly, Heart of Water, Dispel Magic* (pre level 12)
Level 4: Celerity*, Polymorph, Enervation, Greater Mirror Image*, Greater Invisibility, Heart of Earth, Dimension Door
Level 5: Overland Flight, Arcane Fusion, Heart of Fire**, Greater Blink, Draconic Polymorph
Level 6: Greater Dispel Magic*, Disintegrate, Superior Resistance**
Level 7: Arcane Spellsurge*, Elemental Body
Level 8: Polymorph Any Object, Greater Arcane Fusion, Mind Blank (the whole party!), Moment of Prescience
Level 9: Time Stop, Shapechange

I ran out of new ideas for the last levels, since I so rarely play there. I'd also try to have a scroll of See Invisibility or True Seeing when WBL appropriate.

*Swift or immediate action spell without use of Arcane Spellsurge
**Wand, Eternal Wand, or Runestaff works here

Keld Denar
2011-01-06, 06:55 PM
Do you use a slashing or bludgeoning weapon? If slashing, go for Whirling Blade (SpC). Its even better when you apply metamagic to it! If bludgeoning, get Greater Mighty Wallop (Races of the Dargon) for massive size increases to damage. If neither, slap yourself, and go buy one or the other.

Also, if you have a Spell Storing weapon, you'll want at least one good nuke. Combust (SpC) is a decent one, as is Vampiric Touch. Also, status debuffs like Ray of Clumisness (SpC) work great with Spell Storing, as it reduces your foe's AC.

Rixx
2011-01-06, 07:28 PM
Looking at that class loadout makes me want to cry.

Godskook
2011-01-06, 07:48 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is that we're using the base pathfinder classes over 3.5 material so I should go back and edit my post after this to make things clear, my apologies about that.

How does that affect other 3.5 material, cause you should take everything I say as being 3.5-only.

So Ascetic Mage does work with Swordsage? That does open up the possibility of that over monk. I may have to modify my build for five-shadow creeping ice enervation strike.

Ascetic Mage has a few benefits:
1.Swift Action spell sacrifice for damage on unarmed strikes
2.Stacks with monk levels to determine AC bonus
3.If you would add your wisdom bonus to AC, switch it to Cha instead
4.Multiclass freely between sorcerer and monk

You'll note that the way #3 is worded, it does not actually require the wisdom bonus to AC to come from the monk class.

Currently I had in mind greater luminous armor, shield, scintillating scales, haste, wraithstrike. Though Heroics would be a good choice as well. In which books can I find Dancing Blade and Steel Dance?

Dancing Blade and Cloud of Knives are both PHBII.
Steel Dance is SpCom.
Mirror Move is online.