PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Pronounce Elan's Name?

Mr. Zolrane
2011-01-06, 08:01 PM
I've always wondered what the correct pronunciation of Elan's name is? I've been reading OotS for years, and I've been saying "EE-lan" in my head, but I have no idea if I'm correct. Does anyone know (preferably from some official source) how it's supposed to be pronounced? Perhaps Rich said it out loud in a public appearance?

squiremarcus
2011-01-06, 08:08 PM
HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4992)

Dome_Inspector
2011-01-06, 08:10 PM
It's ell-en , I belive it's french for valor.

Mr. Zolrane
2011-01-06, 08:13 PM
HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4992)

Yay, I was right! :smallbiggrin:

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-06, 08:14 PM
I've always wondered what the correct pronunciation of Elan's name is? I've been reading OotS for years, and I've been saying "EE-lan" in my head, but I have no idea if I'm correct. Does anyone know (preferably from some official source) how it's supposed to be pronounced? Perhaps Rich said it out loud in a public appearance?
I'd ignore the thread linked below for this one, since there's been all sorts of arguments over what exactly he meant by "EE-lin".

There is a radio interview with Rich kicking around somewhere, but I haven't seen a link for it in a very long time. However, he does say Elan's name out loud, and he pronounces it as in "New Zealand", ie. just like the name "Ian" but with an L in it.

Mr. Zolrane
2011-01-06, 08:32 PM
I'd ignore the thread linked below for this one, since there's been all sorts of arguments over what exactly he meant by "EE-lin".

There is a radio interview with Rich kicking around somewhere, but I haven't seen a link for it in a very long time. However, he does say Elan's name out loud, and he pronounces it as in "New Zealand", ie. just like the name "Ian" but with an L in it.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I pronounce it.

ref
2011-01-06, 08:37 PM
I say EH-lahn, but I'm Spanish. What do you mean, is 'her-my-oh-nee' really the way to pronounce that name?

druid91
2011-01-06, 08:45 PM
I say EH-lahn, but I'm Spanish. What do you mean, is 'her-my-oh-nee' really the way to pronounce that name?

I always said it EH-lin.

As for Hermione. I always have pronounced it Herm-oyn.

KillItWithFire
2011-01-06, 08:56 PM
Used to say E-LANN when I was the only one of my friends to read the comic. Now that they have picked it up as well I have adopted their pronounciation: L-IN.

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-06, 09:21 PM
As for Hermione. I always have pronounced it Herm-oyn.
The O and the I are the wrong way round for that. As ref said, "her-MY-oh-nee" is the correct pronunciation; it's a Greek name (along the same lines as Penelope or Aphrodite).

Cerlis
2011-01-06, 11:08 PM
Pronounce it "Eh-lan"

That is wrong.

Doesnt change a thing for me.

(furthermore I always pronounced it "Sa-bean-ee". Sounds more like a Hooker/stripper name than "Sa-been", so i think its more appropriate)

MoonCat
2011-01-06, 11:20 PM
The O and the I are the wrong way round for that. As ref said, "her-MY-oh-nee" is the correct pronunciation; it's a Greek name (along the same lines as Penelope or Aphrodite).
I always thought that Penelope ought to be pronounced like antelope, it makes things so much nicer to say.
"Hello, PENELOPE!"

Mauve Shirt
2011-01-06, 11:22 PM
I've always pronouced it EE-lahn. And Sabine sah-BEE-nah.

Kelvara
2011-01-07, 12:51 AM
I always thought that Penelope ought to be pronounced like antelope, it makes things so much nicer to say.
"Hello, PENELOPE!"

Have you read this? (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=725)

Ajadea
2011-01-07, 01:30 AM
I always thought it was Eh-lahn, not EE-lin.

But then again, I pronounced Zz'dtri like zz(sort of a buzzing sound)-dtree...

Coidzor
2011-01-07, 01:43 AM
Wasn't there a character on the ghostbusters cartoon with a name that was pronounced "EEE-lahn?"

That's what I had as my basis for it when I first discovered the comic.

MoonCat
2011-01-07, 01:52 AM
Have you read this? (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=725)
... Huh. No I haven't. That's odd. Is that a good comic? I'm always looking for new ones to read.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-07, 01:58 AM

In the original Greek it would be pronounced Her-mee-OH-nay.

But that's dumb.

yldenfrei
2011-01-07, 03:15 AM
I always thought it was Eh-lahn, not EE-lin.

But then again, I pronounced Zz'dtri like zz(sort of a buzzing sound)-dtree...

I pronounce it E (in elf) and Lan (in Land). I knew it was wrong but I somehow couldn't correct myself.

Zz'dtri I don't even bother to pronounce. I just say 'copyright infringement guy'.

In the original Greek it would be pronounced Her-mee-OH-nay.

But that's dumb.
Actually, that DOES sound better than her-MAY-o-nee or her-MOY-nee. :smallconfused:

MoonCat
2011-01-07, 03:19 AM
Let us all pronounce it like Victor Krum! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HarryPotter)Hermyone!

Maelstrom
2011-01-07, 04:59 AM
It's ell-en , I belive it's french for valor.

Um, no. ;)

Moose (élan) or sometimes used for fervor/spunk/spirit

Kelvara
2011-01-14, 11:15 PM
... Huh. No I haven't. That's odd. Is that a good comic? I'm always looking for new ones to read.

It's a good comic, and one of the most popular ones in existence. Quite different from OotS though, but certainly recommended to most webcomic fans.