PDA

View Full Version : An odd character concept...

darbythegambler
2011-01-06, 09:44 PM
alright, so bear with me here, this character is not supposed to be optimized in any way, i just thought it would be a neat idea to play, it's a cleric gish of some sort that has the following:
-2 weapon fighting (just the basic 3 feats)
-Sword and Board fighting (mixed with 2 weapon)
-Access to the Law, Chaos, Evil, and Good domains (his alignment will be Neutral)
-(Optional) Access to the Law, Chaos, Evil, and Good devotions
-Preferably caster heavy
-Avoid using Human, Halflings, Elves, and Warforged, flaws are a little iffy at this point, and nothing above medium sized

the fluff will be redone as needed, i'm just curious as to how to go about the mechanics of something like this

Dead_Jester
2011-01-06, 09:48 PM
You want SaB and TWF? That's pretty much impossible, unless you have a floating shield or go the 2 shield route for shieldbash goodness.

Also, strait cleric is already great at melee, although a 2 lvl dip in fighter for the 2 bonus feats is always good.

Race really doesn't matter much, as long as you keep the LA down or have LA buyoff (in that case, get some Mineral Warrior and maybe some half-minotaur).

SamsDisciple
2011-01-06, 09:53 PM
Having a neutral cleric that represents all the alignments is a cool idea but its gonna be hurting for feats if you are adamant about the two weapon fighting and being caster heavy at the same time, and also being proficient with sword and board is very easy with 3.5 though you can specialize in it but again the whole caster heavy shoots that in the foot. My suggestion is to focus your feats on the casting and just hold the weapons for your fluff. It works quite well actually to bluff the enemies to think you aren't the caster by eating asf and silent spell everything

Dead_Jester
2011-01-06, 09:56 PM
Caster heavy for a Cleric requires not feats at all, although if you want to be ClericZilla, then you need 4 feats, and even then, only 3 are essential. With good domains, you can lower this to 2.

darbythegambler
2011-01-06, 10:25 PM
thanks for the responses and all... but no offense, that doesn't exactly help me much :smallfrown: what can i do open up my feat selection a bit? what prestige classes can be useful for this kind of concept? details, because i have absolutely no idea how to go about this, and please... terms a moron like me understands! :smallsmile:

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-01-06, 11:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe wielding a longsword and a shield of bashing would qualify for wielding two weapons. Any sixth level cleric has three feats to spend. You'd be a little MAD (Multiple-Attribute-Dependent) with the high Dex requirement, and you basically waste three feats, but you're still a Cleric, so it's no big deal.

As far as access to all those domains goes, I'm of less use. The simplest way to go might be to work with your DM. Your character probably devotes himself to some being of neutrality that can grant those domains, so *poof* you have two of them. Contemplative (a prestige class in Complete Divine) grants extra domains, which would give you the other two domains... eventually.

Gabe the Bard
2011-01-06, 11:32 PM
Instead of two-weapon fighting, how about having four dancing weapons, one for each of the four alignments (anarchic, axiomatic, holy, and unholy)?

The Disadvantage:
You need to spend a standard action to activate a dancing weapon. Each dancing weapon attacks on its own for 4 rounds, so by the time the fourth weapon is up, you'll need to throw the first one again.

It could be good for fluff, though. After all, you are "juggling" four different alignments.

unosarta
2011-01-06, 11:37 PM
Instead of two-weapon fighting, how about having four dancing weapons, one for each of the four alignments (anarchic, axiomatic, holy, and unholy)?

The Disadvantage:
You need to spend a standard action to activate a dancing weapon. Each dancing weapon attacks on its own for 4 rounds, so by the time the fourth weapon is up, you'll need to throw the first one again.

It could be good for fluff, though. After all, you are "juggling" four different alignments.

Alternatively, you could have four shields floating. You can only activate one at a time, but you could flavor it like they are all floating. The shield, if used as a weapon, could potentially gain the four alignment weapon enchantments. Also, while a shield is in front of the character, defending, you could change the fighting style to match the alignment. Good would require non-lethal damage, or something of the like, Evil would be fighting dirty (trip, grapple, etc), Chaotic would be more like the skirmishing character, and Lawful would be like a crusader or a paladin. You could even make a spell list for each alignment, and switch them off with each shield. If you DM allowed it, you could have the shields automatically switch off every few rounds, so that in character, your character can feel the full spectrum of alignment.

Reize
2011-01-07, 12:26 AM
Agile shield fighter from PHBII combines TWF and sword and board without requiring investing into dex. To my knowledge, there is no "improved agile shield fighter" for additional offhand attacks.

You can get fighter bonus feats by taking the Ordained Champion prestige class from Complete Champion and giving up domain powers. Ordained Champ also lets you quicken Divine Power instead of doing DMM: Persist. This lets you get around being starved for feats, assuming you don't mind losing 2 caster levels.

Agile Shield Fighter

Prerequisite: Improved Shield Bash, Shield Specialization, Proficiency with shields

Benefit: When making a shield bash and armed strike attack as part of a full attack action, you take a -2 penalty on each attack. These penalties replace the normal ones you incur for fighting with two weapons.

Special: A fighter can select Agile Shield Fighter as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Rulebook: Players handbook II (p. 74)