PDA

View Full Version : 49.000 gp for wizard (3.5)

Balor01
2011-01-07, 08:03 AM
DM gave us a week and 49.000 gp to equip our lvl 10 characters(49 k each). I am playing a wizard, but am a really, really bad optimizer, so I will not even bother you with spell lists. But choosing equiptment is really a problem for me, so I would ask for some advice regarding this? 49k gp and core stuff at your disposal. What would you give to your generic, non-specialized wizard? I am asking this because I am totally unsure if I should go for items which stack dex/init, stack AC, make spells better (ioun stones) or something completely else ...

Oh heck, add some core spells to this list, if you are unable to restraint yourself and help a non-optimizer :smallsmile:

PS: We are only allowed core books.

PPS: No links please. I've been trough several such manuals and its all so advanced it just makes me dizzy.

gbprime
2011-01-07, 08:08 AM
Core books only? No Complete Arcane, Complete Mage, or Spell Compendium?

Balor01
2011-01-07, 08:11 AM
Yup, core only. So far I played fighters, clerics and characters like duskblade - it was clear what to dress those guys in. Here ... not so much. For me at least.

fratar11
2011-01-07, 08:13 AM
Pearls of Power are a good choice for wizards, I dno't know if they are core or not. Something to boost your int is welcome too

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-07, 08:18 AM
12,500 gp Boccob's Blessed Book
27,000 gp Robe of Scintillating Colors
8000 gp Headband of Intellect +2
Spend the remaining 1500 on scrolls. Don't worry about the cost of scribing spells. the book gives you 1000 pages and lets you write spells in for free.

gbprime
2011-01-07, 08:37 AM
You're going to want to go for the "something else" category. :smallcool:

Start with the basics... +4 INT item (16k). 1st and 2nd level Pearls of Power (1k and 4k each) are great investments too as they extend your battery life.

Armor class is an expensive waste of time with Core. Spend a spell per day on Mage Armor if you feel like it, but otherwise your defense is going to be handled by displacement, improved invis, and mirror image.

The rest of your 49k should be spend on scrolls that you made yourself (half price), wands (if you take craft wand, otherwise stick with scrolls), and a potion of cure serious wounds or two for emergencies. The one combat wand you should consider taking is a Wand of Scorching Ray at 11th level. It's 16.5k, but it does 12d6 damage and allows no save, just don't use it against a target with fire resistance...

You can also buy scrolls at full market price to add spells to your spellbook should you feel so inclined, but mostly the scrolls are there for contingencies... spells you don't normally memorize that you find you suddenly need like knock, see invisibility, etc.

Balor01
2011-01-07, 08:49 AM
Awesome guys :) I was also maybe thinking:ring of displacement, ring of improved invis, and ring of mirror image. But these are too expensive, right?

Runestar
2011-01-07, 08:52 AM
Awesome guys :) I was also maybe thinking:ring of displacement, ring of improved invis, and ring of mirror image. But these are too expensive, right?

Just about every item in the DMG, barring the basic stat boosters, is overpriced. If you want choice magic items, you will want either complete mage or magic item compendium.

Ducklord
2011-01-07, 09:11 AM

Actually these three items don't seem to exist.

Anyway, check with your DM if he's ok with custom items. Those can be pretty good.

gbprime
2011-01-07, 09:30 AM
Just about every item in the DMG, barring the basic stat boosters, is overpriced. If you want choice magic items, you will want either complete mage or magic item compendium.

Which is off limits for him. And as to custom items, most DM's using core only are leery of big cost-reducers.

Take Displacement, for example. 50,000gp gets you a cloak with a 50% miss chance that can only be used 10 rounds a day. But if you build your OWN... 3x5x2000 = 30,000 gp. (total cost to you 15000gp and 1200 xp.) That's a LOT cheaper than the DMG suggests and has no limit on how often you can use it.

Runestar
2011-01-07, 09:36 AM
Which is off limits for him. And as to custom items, most DM's using core only are leery of big cost-reducers.

Take Displacement, for example. 50,000gp gets you a cloak with a 50% miss chance that can only be used 10 rounds a day. But if you build your OWN... 3x5x2000 = 30,000 gp. (total cost to you 15000gp and 1200 xp.) That's a LOT cheaper than the DMG suggests and has no limit on how often you can use it.

My point exactly. So my advice would be to stick with basic stat boosters (headband of int, amulet of con, cloak of resistance, misc scrolls/wands).

Lysander
2011-01-07, 01:02 PM
If you're going to spend a lot of time invisible boots of elvenkind might be worth it for the move silently bonus.

There's also all-class useful magical items. Bag of holding for instance. Healing potions. Etc.

Myth
2011-01-07, 01:14 PM
DM gave us a week and 49.000 gp to equip our lvl 10 characters(49 k each). I am playing a wizard, but am a really, really bad optimizer, so I will not even bother you with spell lists. But choosing equiptment is really a problem for me, so I would ask for some advice regarding this? 49k gp and core stuff at your disposal. What would you give to your generic, non-specialized wizard? I am asking this because I am totally unsure if I should go for items which stack dex/init, stack AC, make spells better (ioun stones) or something completely else ...

Oh heck, add some core spells to this list, if you are unable to restraint yourself and help a non-optimizer :smallsmile:

PS: We are only allowed core books.

PPS: No links please. I've been trough several such manuals and its all so advanced it just makes me dizzy.

Headband of Int +4
Peripait of Con +2
Ring of Feather Falling (you will be riding your Phantom Steed remember?)
2 x 1st level Pearls of Power
1 x 2nd level Pearl of Power
Wand of Protection from Evil
Wand of Knock (optional if you don't have a lockpicker)

too lazy to do the math atm but that's off the top of my head.

Ingus
2011-01-07, 01:15 PM
As generic suggestion, don't take permanent items to do the job of a spell. You have displacement, you have invisibility too, so don't bother to pick backups.

If you're gonna play a long run campaign, I strongly suggest you to pick some wand and maybe a staff (ask your DM if you can customize it): if you take them with less than 50 charges, the cost is proportionally reduced (i.e.: a wand with 5 charges is worth 1/10 of its original price).
Then pick scrolls with utility spells not so often used (remove curse, break enchantment and so on) and a couple of scrolls to make the difference out here. In the latter category, I suggest you game-breaking spells for the level (my pick: one scroll of disintegration, one scroll of control weather and, if you've some coin left, Polymorph any object too). This is your last resource, but definitely worthwile (mind that you have to do a caster leve check to use the scrolls, so you basically have a 5% and 15% of failure, at the date of buying).

Now, and only now, consider improving ST, AC, intelligence and spell slots/day, in order of importance.