PDA

View Full Version : help deciding LA for a new character

Kol Korran
2011-01-07, 08:48 AM
I didn't want to open up a new thread. however, the main questions have been answered, but i have a follow up question. to get to it, please scroll down to the post qhich start with "continue from here" if you wish to know the main isse, read this first post. thanks.

hello folks, one of my players wants to change characters (again :smallsigh:), and i thought giving him some more interesting options. long story short, he's interested in two concepts that can work with the campaign, but he wants a LA of +1 tops. i said i will be willing to consider and see what i can do. however, i am fairly lousy at these game-balance thing, so i come here for help.

first concept, undead paladin
this should be based on the Karrnathi skeleton or zombie.for those who don't know it- an intelligent skeleton or zombie (who don't suffer the action penalty), who keep their feats, skills and so on. there is no template for them however. so my questions are as follows:
1) i heard there is a "necropolitan" template somewhere, that lets you be an undead. anyone can give me it in brief? and it's LA?
2) reading the undead description, plus the DR, i'm thinking LA +2. anyone disagrees? agrees? care to offer a different "build" for the undead

second concept, Drow... ?
3) it's LA +2. anyone might think of a way of reducing it to LA +1 (as to SR- we play that beneficial spells get through it just fine. might be worth to drop this then, maybe the spell like powers?)

thanks in advance,
Kol.

Duke of URL
2011-01-07, 08:56 AM
Necropolitan doesn't actually have an LA. It costs 1 level plus 1,000 XP (and some gold as well for the ritual) -- so it's essentially an LA +1 with built-in LA buyoff. Basically all it does is replace your creature type with the Undead type.

Drow are weak LA +2, it shouldn't take much to make them LA +1. I'd just drop the SR, personally, and call it a solid LA +1.

Ernir
2011-01-07, 09:01 AM
On the paladin:

1) Necropolitan is from Libris Mortis. It doesn't have an actual LA, instead it involves a material cost, level loss due to dying, and an actual XP cost.
Its benefits are basically that the Undead type is slapped on to the base creature.
2) What undead description do you think warrants a +2 LA, you say? :smallconfused:

On the drow:

Drow are pretty damn weak at LA +2. Beneficial spells being houseruled to get through the SR helps, though. Reduce the SR to 10+class levels, remove one of the stat bonuses (they have +2 Dex, Int and Cha), and call it a day as a LA +1? Reduce the range of the Darkvision to 60'?

Kol Korran
2011-01-07, 09:19 AM
thanks for the quick response guys! i'll take those suggestions to heart. another question about the undead paladin: what do you say about his "lay hands" ability? should it still heal? or maybe give out negative energy instead? or maybe both? (might offset the weakness of the paladin a bit)

Kol Korran
2011-01-14, 07:40 AM
Continue from here

so, i've decided that my player can have the undead character by using the necropolitan rules for an LA +1 and a few other minor rules (dealing with point buy and so on)

he wishes to play as a skeleton, and asked for the DR 5/bludgeoning and a +2 NA increase that skeletons get. i'm unsure about this, as both increase his survivability quite a bit (about half- 2/3 of their enemies don't use bludgeoning weapons or energy attacks). he says that losing the ability to get to neg hp and survive warrants this.

as said above, i'm lousy with balance. is it too much for an LA +1 (and the undead type), or is it ok? i'm worried about party balance. this player is already an optimizer (comparing to my party at least)

your thoughts and suggestions are welcomed, as always. :smallsmile:

Smeggedoff
2011-01-14, 07:43 AM
I will point out, there's an intelligent skeleton template in the Book of Vile Darkness... but it has no Level adjustment.

Alternatively my Flatmate tells me there's one in the World of Warcraft Monster Manual. I've yet to look and see if it's any good however.

Kol Korran
2011-01-14, 08:19 AM
@ Smeggedoff: i have neither of this books, but i am interested! can you give me their basics?
thanks!

Duke of URL
2011-01-14, 09:11 AM
Keep the LA +1 and make him take 1 RHD of Undead if he wants to be a skeleton. d12 HD only apply to racial HD, HD from classes do not get automatically raised to d12.

Starbuck_II
2011-01-14, 10:25 AM
I will point out, there's an intelligent skeleton template in the Book of Vile Darkness... but it has no Level adjustment.

Alternatively my Flatmate tells me there's one in the World of Warcraft Monster Manual. I've yet to look and see if it's any good however.

Yes, the undead in World of Warcraft d20 are awesome because they have LA 0.