PDA

View Full Version : VtM LARP

randomhero00
2011-01-07, 12:37 PM
Help please. Need fun character ideas. Never Larped before. Never played vampire the masquarade before. Not sure about edition or even if there is multiple editions.

Anyways, I think I want to play a strong social character who has a lot of control. But I wouldn't mind being a slump in combat either. Can you even optifu a larp game?

So I need tips on character....Can start as an old japanese vampire?

I need tips on larping. Although this is less urgent as the first day is just chargen day.

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-07, 12:52 PM
Help please.Will do what I can. :smallsmile:

Need fun character ideas.Again, will do what I can. :smallsmile:

Never Larped before.Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Never played vampire the masquarade before.Again, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Not sure about edition or even if there is multiple editions.There are, in fact, multiple editions. Some are better than others.

Anyways, I think I want to play a strong social character who has a lot of control.Something with Dominate or Presence would do you well in such a situation. Ventrue, Toreador, Tremere... even Malkavian or Presence-focused Brujah.

But I wouldn't mind being a slump in combat either.Easily doable. Again, Disciplines can play a big part in that.

Can you even optifu a larp game?Oh, yes. :smalltongue:

So I need tips on character....Can start as an old japanese vampire?Well, vampires don't happen too often in Asia, because of the Kuei-jin, but perhaps your character was Embraced after immigrating to the Western world? :smallsmile:

I need tips on larping. Although this is less urgent as the first day is just chargen day.Like what?

randomhero00
2011-01-07, 01:17 PM
I dont know man! I've never done it. Nervous. Give me whatever you can. Even an example char would be awesome.

Edit and i love optifu, so feel free to give it your all if you want :D

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-07, 01:48 PM
I dont know man!No problem. :smallsmile:

I've never done it. Nervous.First step? Calm down. :smallbiggrin:

Give me whatever you can.Sure thing. :smallsmile:

How you play the game will have some dependency on what faction you're a part of; for a Camarilla vampire (which is what I'll assume you're playing), you're on the bottommost rung of a vast and ancient pyramid scheme, whose higher-ups are insane serial killers long-detached from their humanity.

It's a big corporation, but the only room for advancement is that which you make for yourself; after all, your superior's probably not going to give up his chair willingly, and he's probably capable of holding that station for eternity.

Another thing to keep in mind: money is no longer an issue for you. Favors are the currency of vampires.

Another thing to keep in mind: you have a shot at immortality. Never, ever throw that away capriciously.

Conversely, you'll also want to remember your Beast. Remember, it's always there, and even the slightest instance of being insulted, threatened, or humiliated will make it want to lash out, and when it does, there won't be a single thing you can do about it, and it'll be you that has to deal with the consequences later.

Another little tidbit of advice: just because they're there doesn't mean you have to adhere perfectly to the stereotypes. A Ventrue who is master of the boardroom can be fun, but so is one who hits the karaoke bars at night. :smalltongue: A Brujah biker who rages against the machine can be a fun sight, but you could also surprise everyone by being a computer whiz.

Lord Vampyre
2011-01-07, 02:00 PM
Question: Are you using the Mind's Eye Theater rules or the table top rules for VtM? Answering this question will have a serious impact on optimizing your character.

Mind's Eye Theater uses a system of traits that describe your character. The actual descriptions don't actually matter, what matters is how many traits you have for your phyical, mental, and social categories. Skills are really only useful retesting failed challenges.

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-07, 02:14 PM
Another little tidbit of advice: just because they're there doesn't mean you have to adhere perfectly to the stereotypes. A Ventrue who is master of the boardroom can be fun, but so is one who hits the karaoke bars at night. :smalltongue: A Brujah biker who rages against the machine can be a fun sight, but you could also surprise everyone by being a computer whiz.
Quoted for Truth. I once played a Brujah psychiatrist (of Freud's era with the LSD as treatment type stuff). He had a tweed jacket with elbow patches. He was very Brujah in his mindset, but in a different way. Revolutionary ideas about how vampires should resolve problems by looking at themselves rather than focusing on others. He had patients from all clans and factions, even a werewolf and a mage. Kept his humanity very high, using violence as a last resort, even if he's attacked first.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-07, 02:15 PM
This thread is relevant to my interests. Seriously, a vampire LARP has been something I have always wanted to try. OK not always, but close enough.

Krotchrot
2011-01-07, 05:35 PM
I am currently playing the Brujah Primogen with a VtM Larp troupe. I am extremely social. Having merits that help you such as Sanctity(from the Sabbat guide) makes it so everyone seems to think your an okay person. Enchanting Voice, and even Prestigious Sire can be helpful in making that smaller first impression a bit bigger.

It doesn't really matter too much if your playing the Old WoD or the New WoD, just have fun! I prefer the Old WoD, personally.

Clans in the old WoD that are socially based or have some sort of social Discipline: Brujah(Presence), Toreador(Presence), Tremere(Dominate), Ventrue(Dominate, Presence), and Malkavians(Before the "Infection" they had Dominate, now they have Dementation).

Out of all the Clans there, I would suggest Toreador as a first. Crafters and Critics. The Toreador are the Social Dominators of the Kindred world. Most of the Harpies(Those that monitor social standing and status of the Camarilla) hail from Toreador.

The Tremere at least from what we play with, have a very fine tuned structure(I used to be a member of the Camarilla Fanclub when they were a Non-Profit.)

If you Really want to be a Truely Dominant Vampire over all the others, the Ventrue are the self-proclaimed "Kings" of the Camarilla(Hardestadt was the creator of the Camarilla, bringing the idea to the other clans for its unity against the Inquisistion.)

The Brujah, are numerous amongst the Kindred and hail from all walks of life, and are known as the "Warrior-Scholars." They can be great combat or social as well. They do have a tendancy to fly off the handle however with the Beast(they take Self-Control penalties when dealing with a Frenzy.)

Let me stress this as well, the most Non-Combat Disciplines can be some of the scarriest in combat or avoiding combat! Animalism is a prime example, there are a lot of creative things you can do with it.

Going along that lines, Nosferatu and Gangrel both have Animalism, which can be useful for spying. Something that Nosferatu excel at is gathering information for sale to others. Gangrel are not so much into dealing with other Kindred, but making sure that they are known as the rulers of the Wilderness(anything that isn't a city usually is where they roam.) However, a social minded Gangrel or Nosferatu can be very useful.

In the end it all comes down to what you feel. I suggest reading the Clan entries to get a bit more feel and flavor.

And I ramble on...

randomhero00
2011-01-09, 05:26 PM
Update

I'm playing a toreador, his art is martial arts and assassination techniques. He basically has two sides to him, one the assassin the other, the social elite.

Besides presence and celerity how should I build him?

Worira
2011-01-09, 05:48 PM
Hang on, doesn't that mean he gets paralyzed whenever someone fights well?

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-09, 05:49 PM
Hang on, doesn't that mean he gets paralyzed whenever someone fights well?Or if they try and assassinate him. :smallamused: I can see this going well. :smalltongue:

comicshorse
2011-01-09, 06:09 PM
Update

I'm playing a toreador, his art is martial arts and assassination techniques. He basically has two sides to him, one the assassin the other, the social elite.

Auspex to spot traps and hidden defences
Obfuscate is going to be pretty vital to
And either Animalism or some Merit that means animals won't freak out around you or you're going to set off every gaurd dog in the world
And yes you may bliss out against highly skilled opponents:smallsmile:

Gnaeus
2011-01-09, 07:43 PM
Update

Side note: This particular concept gets played pretty often. The term I have heard applied is Warreador. Depending on which group you are playing in, you may be looked down on by all other toreador as a poseur. Certainly, I would not play that concept in the Camarilla fan club unless you are ready to take heat for it.

Play what you want, but be aware that you are not the first person to think of that and that it may put you in a very bad light with other members of your clan, unless you have already talked with the other toreador players and you know they are cool with it.

randomhero00
2011-01-09, 07:44 PM
I would say he'd be facinated/paralyzed while watching a beautiful fight/assassination. Since most aren't, I'm not too worried.

randomhero00
2011-01-09, 07:45 PM
Side note: This particular concept gets played pretty often. The term I have heard applied is Warreador. Depending on which group you are playing in, you may be looked down on by all other toreador as a poseur. Certainly, I would not play that concept in the Camarilla fan club unless you are ready to take heat for it.

Play what you want, but be aware that you are not the first person to think of that and that it may put you in a very bad light with other members of your clan, unless you have already talked with the other toreador players and you know they are cool with it.

They're cool with it and haven't heard of it before. Guess it depends on the group. Cause some of them have played for years.

Gnaeus
2011-01-09, 07:48 PM
They're cool with it and haven't heard of it before. Guess it depends on the group. Cause some of them have played for years.

Good. I'm glad you can play what you want. I just give the warning b/c I have seen new players get reamed out on their first night for certain concepts, and I try to prevent that.

comicshorse
2011-01-09, 07:56 PM
I would say he'd be facinated/paralyzed while watching a beautiful fight/assassination. Since most aren't, I'm not too worried.

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'beautiful' fight ?
IMHO Martial Arts are your characters chosen art form. Any highly skilled martial artist will be a living work of art that your character is most able to appreciate.
Certainly most GM's when faced with this character type have, in my experience, expected characters to make Self-Control rolls in these kinds of situation.And yes its fairly common and yes I've played it myself ( Sir Giles de Mornay, Toreador Knight in a Dark Ages game) and yes I've got fascinated by an opponent.

and that it may put you in a very bad light with other members of your clan,
And this, so very much this.

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-09, 11:18 PM
Suppose I'd better subscribe to this thread... the ST's been hinting that he wants to get a LARP together...

See, I've never LARPed before, but it does sound fun. :smallbiggrin:

randomhero00
2011-01-10, 12:37 AM
about the martial art thing: its a very specific...way of killing that he thinks is beautiful. Someone would have to study his crime scenes and then become very good at it themselves to make him drool over it. He's had decades of practice from his mortal life's job in the police.

Also, I hear we can buy up to 8th generation. That's really important right?

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-10, 08:28 AM
Also, I hear we can buy up to 8th generation. That's really important right?It's about as important as you want it to be. 8th-generation is pretty nice; it does put you at an advantage. Lower generation means you can disregard a Dominate from someone of higher generation. Lower generation means you have a larger blood pool and can spend more blood in a round.

You just gotta watch out for diablerie.

Semidi
2011-01-10, 08:31 AM
Hi! I live and breath White Wolf LARP (well not really, but I know just about all the rules and stuff for Mind's Eye Theatre).

Alright, let's get started! I can't really explain all of the mechanics so if you need something explained, please stop me.

Help please. Need fun character ideas. Never Larped before. Never played vampire the masquarade before. Not sure about edition or even if there is multiple editions.

Kind of a big deal, if it's the latest then it's going to be Mind's Eye Theatre revised.

Can start as an old japanese vampire?

Only problem is that Kui-Jin (vampires from the East) are from that area and Cainites (vampires you play) never really infiltrated the area aside from some Ravnos, Gangrel, Selubri, and a Giovanni branch. Kui-Jin and Kindred don't mix. Might I suggest instead going with the Middle East area? You have a similar problem with Assamites, but it's not as big of a deal and could make a cool background.

I need tips on larping.

Here's the best I can do:
1) Keep IC and OOC seperate, it's live action and everyone's playing a character. You can be shouting at eachother or trying to kill eachother, but at the end of the day you're both nerds who have a cool hobby.
2) Don't try to win. Try to tell a good story.
3) Motivations. You're character, when you create him, must want something whether it's a primogen spot, the prince spot, to become an Archon, or to just be the power behind the throne--you need goals to create conflict.
4) Background and personality. The character is not you and should have different mannerisms. LARPing, expecially Theatre Larping is half improve acting.

I dont know man! I've never done it. Nervous. Give me whatever you can. Even an example char would be awesome.

If you want to give the character creation rules your ST has given I can start you creating a character mechanically. People on here have already been a good help with the fluff aspect.

This thread is relevant to my interests. Seriously, a vampire LARP has been something I have always wanted to try. OK not always, but close enough.

/plug
If you're over 18 I'd recommend either the Camarilla (http://camarilla.white-wolf.com/) (organization I'm a part of) or One World by Night (Not a part of but heard good things about). They're both global organizations that play a global chronicle (for instance, I live in Salt Lake City and my character trades emails with the prince of New York. We also have global conventions and stuff).
/plug

Depends on XP. However, general advice on building a character is this: take max flaws and negative traits, get as many traits as possible, and a win all ties as soon as possible (for physical combat). For a ninja like Toreador (it really is a wareador) you'll want to cap out you physicals, and get advanced celerity asap. Also getting second basic presence and first basic auspex asap would be good too.

In terms of combat also, staking is bad-ass. I recommend getting the archery ability.

I'd recommend, with six freebie points, to get second basic obfuscate as well for that concept.

Also remember, you'll want a lot of mental traits. Remember, it's not about what you find beautiful, it's what's on the other person's sheet. For instance, you might find martial arts beautiful, but unless someone has expression 3, you're not mesmerized. But if you fight a tzimisce... well... yeah get ready to be in awe at body crafts. Similarly, you'll want expression in fighting and kill etc for it to be beautiful. Weird, but that's how it works.

Also, I hear we can buy up to 8th generation. That's really important right?

Gen is weird. In some cases it matters--in others it doesn't. Here's the big thing for the social aspect, 8th gen is an elder, which are looked more highly upon and more is expected from. 9th and 10th are ancilla who are the big movers and shakers. 11 - 13th are neonates do most of the dirty work.

If you're new to the setting, I'd highly recommend a neonate as less is expected from and you can get away with more. Also note that elders are diablorie bait, especially if everyone starts with the same XP. If you get a win all ties and some a good number of traits, specialities, and weapons, you can fight some weaker elders (i.e. elders without win all ties).

However, powerwise, being an elder is almost always better. The lower gen you have, the better you are. Elders get access to sick good elder powers, more traits, higher ability caps, and can spend more blood a round.

Caliphbubba
2011-01-10, 08:47 AM
I played in and ran VtM LARP games for 5+ years. In independent, small organization and large orgnizations (one world by night).

If there is one thing that people neglect in LARP it is traits. Max your traits as soon as possible. Then as some one else said for physical combat get win on ties as soon as possible.

Traits are king. I watched an Elder Ventrue with loads of Presence/Dominate, but low triats get his butt kicked by a Nosferatu with Might and Swiftness...because of traits.

Along the same lines, Learn what the Negative traits of the weapons your enemies are likely to using.

Krotchrot
2011-01-10, 10:47 AM
I've also witnessed a Neonate Brujah throw an Elder Ventrue through a wall before. In the Larp based system its really all about the RPS(Rock Paper Scissors.) If you get your Celerity to Advanced you have a Bomb(New symbol to throw in besides the RPS) and a WaT(Win all Ties.) With Celerity it is Dexterity based, so you'll want to make sure to buy enough Dex related traits to keep you going in combat. If you plan on Staking other Vamps, then make sure to take Medicine as an Ability(it will allow you to retest a failed staking challenge after the inital attack.) If you feel you are going to be heavily combat oriented, be sure to get in good with either the Ventrue or Gangrel for Fortitude. A great Discipline for resisting damage, and at Elder levels(IF you can find that powerful of an Elder) you can almost shrug off everything. As well as being an Elder yourself, Presence at Elder levels can save a room from breaking out into all out brawling.

Speaking of Newbies coming in and getting over ran by the Veteran players, it can and does happen, but just remember that its all a game. Recently, my group had a new Giovanni enter the city, and we have a Samedi that is played by a veteran character and is apt to releasing the Spirit Slaves of Giovanni. So he kinda walked down a path he didn't know would get him messed up.

Honestly Auspex is more of an Investigative power, which can be used cleverly. I'd suggest also getting I believe its the First Intermediate power of Dementation(if you can survive a Malkavian breaking your mind.) for Eyes of Chaos, when activated for a Scene you can not be Surprized in any form(including combat) if you think its going to happen(good way to play off paranoia.)

The taking of max Flaws/Negative Traits(Generally 7 flaws and 5 negatives) is a way of minmaxing your toon. But it may not be the most fun you can get out of a character. A good storyteller will find a way to mess with those flaws you took. We just got over a batch of people that all decided to take Hunted as a flaw. Not fun for a city of new people with Enemies much more powerful than them.

Quincunx
2011-01-10, 11:25 AM
Along with motivation, have a reason to talk to people more than once. This is one time when having a dorky compulsion to tell everyone you meet about your passion is a good thing. It provides oil to the LARP machine. You have to throw out the "vampires are cagey and let slip nothing, ever" part of the tabletop rulebook, or you stand around bored for hours.

Being a Toreador, you have an excuse to be led around and introduced to the rest of your clan. Take it, both in and out of character. OOC, you'll get to know people's faces and learn the local criteria for your highly subjective clan weakness. IC, connections are currency; have something juicy to offer to them, and do the research on good gifts as soon as possible. Oh, and remember your clan credo: Never bore. Toreadors are not permitted to be dorks. Polish your martial arts routine until it does not bore. Toreadors do not want to be presented with something they can see on the Discovery Channel "warrior secrets" programs.

Stupid LARP Tricks (http://home.earthlink.net/~esasmor/blacklight/misc.htm) that aren't actually stupid at all. Read them. The Toreador section is one of the weakest, so add onto that with the Ventrue's subsection on the manipulation of same.

Gnaeus
2011-01-10, 11:34 AM
Along with motivation, have a reason to talk to people more than once. This is one time when having a dorky compulsion to tell everyone you meet about your passion is a good thing. It provides oil to the LARP machine. You have to throw out the "vampires are cagey and let slip nothing, ever" part of the tabletop rulebook, or you stand around bored for hours.

I second this. Being a loaner who cares little for the company of others may be a good concept, but in a larp a DM is not going to hold your hand and drag you into the plot.

Also, (after being introduced to the prince) talk to:
1 The Primogen of your clan
2 The Sheriff
3 The Scourge
4 The keeper of Elyseum.
Offer to work for them until 1-2 of them say yes. As a new player with a physical character, you want to be someone's flunky, or you will have difficulty getting involved in plots. If there is a bad guy in the city, it is MUCH more common for the sheriff and 2-3 of his guys to go deal with it quietly than for him to walk into the main room and say "does anyone want to help fight an X?" Also, status is everything, and you usually get status by helping powerful people.

Krotchrot
2011-01-10, 12:44 PM
I second this. Being a loaner who cares little for the company of others may be a good concept, but in a larp a DM is not going to hold your hand and drag you into the plot.

Also, (after being introduced to the prince) talk to:
1 The Primogen of your clan
2 The Sheriff
3 The Scourge
4 The keeper of Elyseum.
Offer to work for them until 1-2 of them say yes. As a new player with a physical character, you want to be someone's flunky, or you will have difficulty getting involved in plots. If there is a bad guy in the city, it is MUCH more common for the sheriff and 2-3 of his guys to go deal with it quietly than for him to walk into the main room and say "does anyone want to help fight an X?" Also, status is everything, and you usually get status by helping powerful people.

The proper order of Introduction should be:
1 Primogen of the clan
2 Prince of the City
3 The Keeper of Elysium
4 The Sheriff

Traditionally, you'd call up or contact your Primogen who would contact the Prince, Keeper, and Sheriff. You'd be introduced during Court and thus acknowledged. A good Prince NEVER lets anyone know who or if there is a Scourge.

Also remember that some of the Listed Authorities find it quite rude if you just walk up to them and introduce yourself. They having much more Status than you can have you running up a bounty of Boons before you know it.

Gnaeus
2011-01-10, 12:49 PM
The proper order of Introduction should be:
1 Primogen of the clan
2 Prince of the City
3 The Keeper of Elysium
4 The Sheriff

Traditionally, you'd call up or contact your Primogen who would contact the Prince, Keeper, and Sheriff. You'd be introduced during Court and thus acknowledged.

Varies based on city.

A good Prince NEVER lets anyone know who or if there is a Scourge.

That depends on who the Scourge is. A suitably frightening Scourge can play "bad cop" to the Sheriffs "good cop" and can keep problems out of the city just by being adequately feared.

Also remember that some of the Listed Authorities find it quite rude if you just walk up to them and introduce yourself. They having much more Status than you can have you running up a bounty of Boons before you know it.

Bonus! From the perspective of a new player, owing boons to city officers is a good thing. It gets you involved in the game, and makes everyone less likely to kill you (if you kill someone who owes boons you usually have to pay back those boons yourself.)

The real threat to a new player isn't in being used as a pawn by city leaders, it is in sitting around the hosts living room for 2 months waiting for something to happen, then quitting because it never did.

randomhero00
2011-01-10, 01:22 PM
What's a scourage?

What's a delaibre (sp?) The things that go after elders?

One more point to keep in mind, half the group are newbs. I want to dominate (have them owe me favors whatever) every way I can.

Keep in mind, though he is an assassin on the side, it is more human assassination. He is more of a charasmatic art dealer. In fact, he may keep his secret obsession/art a secret. But basically he wants to have his hands in everything, all sorts of business, police, FBI, vampire business. ETC. Possibly even starting a spy network. He wants to control things from the sidelines is his ultimate goal.

Sorry I'm not describing him very well. But he is not a warreador.

Gnaeus
2011-01-10, 01:27 PM
What's a scourage?

Scourge is an old vampiric political office. It is basically the guy the prince appoints to patrol the borders and exterminate anyone in the domain without permission. It may be a secret office, but it may also be public, granting the status *feared*.

What's a delaibre (sp?) The things that go after elders?

Diablerie, or amaranth, is the act of draining another vampire's soul, thereby killing them and stealing some of their generation if they are stronger than you. People who do this are diablerists.

randomhero00
2011-01-10, 01:53 PM
Scourge is an old vampiric political office. It is basically the guy the prince appoints to patrol the borders and exterminate anyone in the domain without permission. It may be a secret office, but it may also be public, granting the status *feared*.

Diablerie, or amaranth, is the act of draining another vampire's soul, thereby killing them and stealing some of their generation if they are stronger than you. People who do this are diablerists.

So anyone can? Even I? (steal souls)

Caliphbubba
2011-01-10, 01:58 PM
So anyone can? Even I? (steal souls)

yep you sure can. it's a good way to get Blood Hunted and meet Final Death however. Diablrists are seen as the most vile sort of criminal by the elders.

randomhero00
2011-01-10, 02:12 PM
yep you sure can. it's a good way to get Blood Hunted and meet Final Death however. Diablrists are seen as the most vile sort of criminal by the elders.

But just normally/staking/killing another vamp is OK? What if one deserves death? I still shouldn't take its soul?

Caliphbubba
2011-01-10, 02:43 PM
But just normally/staking/killing another vamp is OK? What if one deserves death? I still shouldn't take its soul?

It really depends on the circumstances. Normally it's not OK to kill another Kindred without permission from the Prince.

That being said, if someone needs killing and you think you can get away with it, go for it. It's all about getting away with what you do. Not whether or not it's "OK".

Eating Souls is generally looked down by any Camarilla Kindred tho. It automatically degrads your Humanity for one. and think about it, what is worse for an immortal than not only DYING but making your enemies STRONGER by your death. But a lot of them would do it too IF they knew they could get away with it.

In all my years playing VtM LARP I commited Diablirie exactly one time(while playing Camarilla). It worked out in my favor and eventually lead to me seizing Praxis of the city of Indianapolis in an old VtM orginization known as the Shared Universe.

On the flipside of that, as Prince I ordered the Final Death of no less than 6 kindred for doing exactly the same thing. The difference being that they got caught.

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-10, 04:09 PM
Exactly. Diablerie is generally only permitted if a sire is destroying his own childe, and in any other situation, it is at best an "I look the other way" scenario.

It's instantly-deserving of a death sentence in the Camarilla, and not without reason. After all...

1) It's addictive, and not just in the "Ooh, I want to improve my generation again" sense.
2) It drains your Humanity every time you do it. The Camarilla does not want you rampaging mindlessly through the city because you got a little too into it.
3) It destabilizes the entire power structure the Camarilla was founded under. The younger vampires are supposed to serve under the elders, not rise up and eat them. :smalltongue:

Hence why it's usually swiftly-punished if they discover it.

Krotchrot
2011-01-10, 04:13 PM
Regarding all the posistions and such, yeah, every game is ran differently, so your local flavor may be very different from another cities. We "try" to keep our Scourge unknown, but with our smaller group it may not be necessary to do such.

As for "Diablerie", it's generally misconstruded as "evil." Most elder's frown upon it. It usually brings back to memory their days of the Anarch Revolt's. Amaranth on the other hand is a sanctioned form of Diablerie, usually only given upon certain situations. Blood Hunted individuals can be common victims of this type of Diablerie. Same token, if your city is fighting Sabbat, the Prince may grant Amaranth. By all means Diablerie, no matter what situation is a bad deal. It's a loss of being Human and leaning to being more Bestial. Which for the Camarilla is a very bad thing. The Camarilla are the unseen hands amongst the mortals.

In most games, the Prince has the Final say if another Kindred is worthy of Final Death being it through Amaranth, Staking, Sun baking, or just good old Sword to the Neck style.

Above all, read the Traditions of the Camarilla to get the best purview of how things are ideally supposed to go, but generally won't go.

If your looking for another option to gain power in the game(possibly even more powerful than the Prince.) Buy into the secondary game in VtM: Influences. Influences allow you to control certain Mortal aspects of a game. Combo it with a Background like Contacts and/or Allies and you have a pretty powerful character. It takes much more time to develop the Influences in your city, but once you do, people can get moved into places you want them to be.

Or if you really wanna be more powerful than the Prince, try to edge your way into the Harpy position of the city. However, it is a very dangerous game playing with the Status of other Kindred. It can lead to some really great stories both the Influence and Status games. It can also help you to create your own in game stories, making people chase a wild goose to your own delight.

Krotchrot
2011-01-10, 04:29 PM
I forgot to add, here are a couple of good sources for information:
http://http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade (http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade)

http://http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Vampire:_The_Masquerade (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Vampire:_The_Masquerade)

Quincunx
2011-01-10, 05:24 PM
In our game, the position of scourge was very public, and so were some of his punishments. If you asked nicely, you might even be shown some of the offenders' fang teeth, kept in a lovely presentation box several miles from their drained and torpor'd owner.

The problem with a goal of killing (or being a diablerist) is that one runs out of legitimate targets to kill. Better to find a use for those martial arts that can be applied to anyone else and doesn't violate the rules of your continued existence. I got more game mileage out of learning than I did from any over-arcing plot; one can never run out of things to learn, and even the freshest undead can have something to teach. Others swore by bartering favors, which was trading the fruits of learning without devaluing that learning by actually spreading knowledge around. You could barter the favor of helping kick someone into quiescence, the favor of using your celerity (if you've got it--or if you can bluff the other person into believing you have it) for tasks unspecified, the favor of gluing your Toreador lips to their posterior in front of parties the other party wants to impress.

comicshorse
2011-01-10, 08:05 PM
Does Diablerie leave traces in the aura in Live as it does in the regular game ?

The Glyphstone
2011-01-10, 08:07 PM
Does Diablerie leave traces in the aura in Live as it does in the regular game ?

It does in Requiem Live, and that would seem like an odd thing for them to keep in New but take out of Old.

Semidi
2011-01-11, 12:03 AM

Yar. 3 months iirc. Tremere woog still detects it as well.

randomhero00
2011-01-11, 12:56 PM
So I take it this isn't like DnD where you want everyone to get along? For instance someone's playing an asamite (sp?) the one that believes in sucking souls. Me being an assassin I might pay her a visit very early on...but I like her as a friend IRL. Should I ignore it, or roleplay it fully? In other words, player PVP is the norm?

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-11, 01:02 PM
So I take it this isn't like DnD where you want everyone to get along?Getting along's a nice thing, but it isn't necessarily a priority.

...but I like her as a friend IRL.Well, one of the things about a LARP is that you're pretty much spending the whole thing in-character. What or who you like or don't like IRL shouldn't make much difference.

In other words, player PVP is the norm?Well, killing another vampire would be against the Sixth Tradition, IIRC, and so if you do fight, don't get caught. Got it?

randomhero00
2011-01-11, 01:05 PM
I keep hearing don't get caught over and over when talking about vamp vs vamp. What do you mean by that?

Obviously I'm not going to off someone in front of witnesses. Is there another way to get caught?

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-11, 01:23 PM
I keep hearing don't get caught over and over when talking about vamp vs vamp. What do you mean by that?Asking, "Can I do X?" in Vampire has a tendency of returning that answer, "Yes, if you can get away with it."

Obviously I'm not going to off someone in front of witnesses. Is there another way to get caught?Many, in fact. If someone's using high-enough Obfuscate, for instance, he can be witness to your little crime without you ever being aware of it.

Likewise, the right Disciplines can have you just babbling answers. Dominate, Presence, even Auspex can give you away.

comicshorse
2011-01-11, 01:56 PM
Vampire's have their own society. Catching murders is what a Sheriff is there for and he'll probably be good at it. You can be caught like any mundane murderer by witnesses, forensic evidence or security footage. Of course the Sherrif may also be able to interrogate the local animals, use Auspex to see if you left any emotional impressions behind or just Dominate you if you're an obvious suspect
If you have to get physical, try not killing them. Just stake them and stick them in a hole for a few years until the fuss dies down.
It'll mean the Giovanni can't summon their spirit and you can answer truthfully that you didn't kill them. Saved a Character of mine's life when the Tremere used a Bone of Lies on me.

randomhero00
2011-01-11, 02:38 PM
comic- now thats good advice!

Gnaeus
2011-01-11, 03:01 PM
So I take it this isn't like DnD where you want everyone to get along?

Depending on game, in most LARPS the biggest threat to any PC is the other PCs. The ST may (or may not) include an outside enemy. But odds are if you are fighting someone it will be a PC.

randomhero00
2011-01-12, 01:05 PM
Depending on game, in most LARPS the biggest threat to any PC is the other PCs. The ST may (or may not) include an outside enemy. But odds are if you are fighting someone it will be a PC.

So what are the best forms of combat in dealing with another PC? Is it possible to assassinate a vamp? As in, he'd have no chance of fighting back. Like hitting him in the chest from a 100 yards away with a silver arrow?

Or would it be better to sneak up on them and cut their throat? Sorry to be a bit graphic, but how to kill other vamps is a mystery to me besides staking (but apparently that doesn't kill them?)

So besides soul sucking, how do you completely kill a vamp?

Gnaeus
2011-01-12, 01:27 PM
So what are the best forms of combat in dealing with another PC? Is it possible to assassinate a vamp? As in, he'd have no chance of fighting back. Like hitting him in the chest from a 100 yards away with a silver arrow?

Or would it be better to sneak up on them and cut their throat? Sorry to be a bit graphic, but how to kill other vamps is a mystery to me besides staking (but apparently that doesn't kill them?)

So besides soul sucking, how do you completely kill a vamp?

Overwhelming damage (like, just shooting them enough, or running over them enough with a car) can put them into torpor, a death like sleep. Staking won't kill them, but will paralyze them. Wounds caused by fire or magic or vampire fangs cannot be healed quickly and can kill vampires. Sunlight can kill vampires. Once you have the vampire in torpor (say by beating it down or stabbing it with a sword), you can leave it for the sun, burn it to ash, or just bury it in a field somewhere with a stake through its chest. It might not be dead, but if it takes 200 years for anyone to find it, it may as well be (and if they dig it up in the daytime, it just burns up anyway).

comicshorse
2011-01-12, 01:29 PM
Aggravated damage ( fire, sunlight, gangrel claws)
Decapitation

randomhero00
2011-01-12, 04:47 PM
Decapitation

Do gangrel lose humanity for doing aggravated damage?

Semidi
2011-01-12, 05:02 PM
Do gangrel lose humanity for doing aggravated damage?

No.

Anyone can do aggravated damage just from biting.

Also, a good way to kill someone is to use summon and summon them to an out of the way location for a nice murder.

The best way to kill someone is to have more traits (or the bomb and win all ties) than them or to attempt staking on them followed by taking off their head.

Honestly, doing the dirty deed yourself is probably the worst way to kill someone in Masquerade. It's generally far better to create a situation where some poor fool does it for it and then uncover that the poor fool was the one who did it to gain favor with the prince. It's just really easy to get caught I can think of any number of ways:
spirits touch, telepathy, aura perception, obfuscate, feral whispers, bone of lies, giovanni + wraiths, general interrogation, some elder powers/Thaum powers, and so on

randomhero00
2011-01-12, 05:05 PM
Good info. Does silver do aggravated damage?

whats the bomb that wins all ties?

Gnaeus
2011-01-12, 05:07 PM
Good info. Does silver do aggravated damage?

If you are a werewolf.

whats the bomb that wins all ties?

The Bomb is a hand signal used in LARP. If you have certain powers, you aren't stuck with rock, paper or scissors. Win all ties means, if you throw rock, and they throw rock, and you win all ties and they don't, you win. You get Win all ties from other powers (mostly high level Celerity & Potence). Then there are elder versions that let you win all ties against people who normally win all ties.

randomhero00
2011-01-12, 05:11 PM
If you are a werewolf.

The Bomb is a hand signal used in LARP. If you have certain powers, you aren't stuck with rock, paper or scissors. Win all ties means, if you throw rock, and they throw rock, and you win all ties and they don't, you win. You get Win all ties from other powers (mostly high level Celerity & Potence). Then there are elder versions that let you win all ties against people who normally win all ties.

lol wait...you literally play rock paper scissors? I thought that was a metaphor hehe.

Is there anything that inherently hurts vamps like silver does werewolfs?

The Glyphstone
2011-01-12, 05:15 PM
lol wait...you literally play rock paper scissors? I thought that was a metaphor hehe.

In Camarilla play...it's RPS. Your victories are not a matter of luck or skill so much as psychology.

Fire is agg to vampires, like silver is to werewolves.

Gnaeus
2011-01-12, 05:15 PM

Decapitation

Also most attacks that you would think of as magical in nature do agg.

randomhero00
2011-01-12, 05:18 PM
would tracer rounds from a gun do agg?

So what's the point of stats if you play RPS?

Gnaeus
2011-01-12, 05:20 PM
would tracer rounds from a gun do agg?

Dragonsbreath rounds do

So what's the point of stats if you play RPS?

They alter ties. They can give you retests.

randomhero00
2011-01-12, 05:29 PM
Dragonsbreath rounds do

They alter ties. They can give you retests.

I understood none of that. Please explain! :)

The Glyphstone
2011-01-12, 05:42 PM

A contest is determined by a RPS contest. If you tie, certain powers or abilities break ties in your favor, else it is determined by who has more stats. At least locally, I think you can temporarily 'burn' a point of a stat to force a retest...so if you have Punching 3 and the other guy has Kicking 2, and he wins, you can 'spend' a point of Punching to retest the RPS. If you lose again, you can 'spend' another point, whereas if you win, he'll probably spend a point of Kicking. This usually goes until one person runs out of their testing stat and loses a contest. Not sure how fast stats 'regen'...sometimes it's 'per game', other times it's per contest, or per hour.

Gnaeus
2011-01-12, 05:43 PM

Dragonsbreath are incendiary rounds.

I am Brawny enough to punch you.
You are Quick enough to punch me.

RPS. I throw rock. You throw rock.
I have 12 physical traits. You have 11 physical traits. I win.
I have 11, you have 11. We tie, and test again.

RPS. I throw rock, you throw paper.
I have 24 physical traits. You have 11 physical traits. I have more than double, so I ignore the result and we test again.

randomhero00
2011-01-12, 06:18 PM
RPS. I throw rock, you throw paper.
I have 24 physical traits. You have 11 physical traits. I have more than double, so I ignore the result and we test again.

Wait. you have double. why wouldnt you win? why would you ignore it? and retest?

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-12, 06:20 PM
Wait. you have double. why wouldnt you win? why would you ignore it? and retest?Because otherwise, his throw of Paper would've beaten your Rock.

SilverClawShift
2011-01-12, 06:46 PM
Never played vampire the masquarade before.

The only advice I have is this: Beware the Malkavians

I'm sure it varies depending on who you're playing with, but round THESE parts there are only two types of em. The ones who seem like they're almost sane but underneath are a bubbling pot of uncontrollable madness, and the ones who are the exact opposite.

Either way, tread carefully.

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-12, 06:56 PM
The only advice I have is this: Beware the Malkavians.Aww, c'mon, you know we Malkavians are perfectly fine to hang around with! :smalltongue:
I'm sure it varies depending on who you're playing with, but round THESE parts there are only two types of em. The ones who seem like they're almost sane but underneath are a bubbling pot of uncontrollable madness, and the ones who are the exact opposite.What about the fish/bunny Malks? :smalltongue: They're horrible examples of how to play, but they happen nonetheless.

SilverClawShift
2011-01-12, 07:09 PM
Aww, c'mon, you know we Malkavians are perfectly fine to hang around with! :smalltongue:What about the fish/bunny Malks? :smalltongue:[/COLOR]

Leeches is leeches.

Crazy leeches is worse.

randomhero00
2011-01-12, 07:40 PM
Leeches is leeches.

Crazy leeches is worse.

we already have a Malk...and he's the creepiest person there already...

Gnaeus
2011-01-12, 08:17 PM
Aww, c'mon, you know we Malkavians are perfectly fine to hang around with! :smalltongue:What about the fish/bunny Malks? :smalltongue: They're horrible examples of how to play, but they happen nonetheless.

My rule as malk Primogen (which I have adapted many times to many other systems) was this:

When a new malk comes into town, send them to the local grocery store with $20 and a simple shopping list. If they cannot return with the items requested without breaking the masquerade, having the police or fire department called, or killing anyone, they are a liability, not an asset, and should be immediately executed with the active assistance of the prince.

kyoryu
2011-01-12, 09:06 PM

It was an example character in Clanbook Toreador book in oWoD, in fact.

Caliphbubba
2011-01-13, 08:32 AM
You really need to get a copy or borrow a copy of the Laws of the Night and read it if you don't understand the basic mechanics of how to resolve challenges in VtM LARP.

They've done a decent enough job on the thread of explaining the basics of it, but there are somethings that arn't quite right and/or houserules slipping in I believe.

Regarding your question about Assassination I.E. dropping someone from surprise without giving them a chance to react there is a mechanic that allows you to surprise someone. It involves you saying "Surprise" giving a 1-2-3 count and instigating the challenge. If they fail to respond within the 3 count they can only be "Tough enough to take it" and can't attempt to dodge or strike you in return.

There are a couple of ways of reducing the 1-2-3 count. The first is attacking from Obfuscate, which makes it a 1-2 count instead. The second is when you have the Quietus Discipline of "Silence of Death" active which is also a 1-2 count.

IF you have both Obfuscate and "Silence of Death" active and you attempt to Surprise someone it is further reduced to a "1" count.

Keep this in mind if you decide to anger the Assamite you mentioned. She is likely to have Silence of Death and some level of Obfuscate, as they are both "In-Clan" disciplines for her. You might find yourself on the wrong side of assassination attempt.

A better idea would be you maybe befriend the character, as your out-look and abilities probably are similar. Mention you hate the Tremere and you're probably in like Flyn lol

Good Luck.

Krotchrot
2011-01-13, 03:05 PM
Yeah, definitely picking up or borrowing a Copy of the Laws of the Night would be a good idea for studying. I know my troup uses some of the Camarilla fan clubs rules(we still have members within our group,) otherwise, with just straight book rules, you can see how certain clans are much more powerful than others. If your group is using a supplement to the book, make sure you check them out to familiarize yourself with any changed rules from the LotN(Laws of the Night.)

As a quick answer to some of your questions: Dragonsbreath Rounds are a type of Ammunition(Phosphorscent) which Burns as it's shot through a gun(generally a Shotgun.) All Instances of Fire damage do Aggravated wounds to a Vampire. As for Silver, generally does not do Aggravated wounds, however, there is a Flaw that can be taken that makes a Vampire vulnerable to Silver as if it was Fire.

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-13, 06:13 PM
Yeah, as I was looking through the book, I myself observed that aside from the base mechanic being changed to Rock-Paper-Scissors, there's still a number of things that work differently from the tabletop versions, particularly Disciplines. On the other hand, the stuff for Influence looks pretty awesome. :smalltongue:

randomhero00
2011-01-14, 01:27 PM
Man this sounds more difficult than DnD and I find that easy since the first time I played.

Caliphbubba
2011-01-14, 03:08 PM
Man this sounds more difficult than DnD and I find that easy since the first time I played.

It's not more difficult per se. It's really an entirely different creature. A very different mindset is required I believe. First and foremost D&D is WAY more combat-centric. Vampire is more of a soical and political game most of the time.

SilverClawShift
2011-01-14, 03:15 PM
Yeah, D&D plays a lot more formally by default.

World of Darkness (and shadowrun really) play a lot more casually out of the box. The big difference is that WoD type games are very simple at their core, and have to jump through a lot of hoops to do complicated things. D&D is kinda complicated from when you first crack it open, but it handles complicated things as par-for-the-course.

I always think of D&D as "What is my character capable of?"

I always think of Shadowrun and WoD as "What does my character want to do, and how can they make it happen?"

*edit*

Of course, LARPs are gonna be more difficult by virtue of the fact that they're trying to bring a tapletop game away from a tapletop...

Caliphbubba
2011-01-14, 03:20 PM
Of course, LARPs are gonna be more difficult by virtue of the fact that they're trying to bring a tapletop game away from a tapletop...

they are really very different games that share the same Fluff when you get right down to it. LARPs excel at some facets of the over all oWoD feel while tabletop does well at other parts. In my humble opinion, at least.

randomhero00
2011-01-15, 12:04 PM
Another question since my storyteller or whatever isn't responding to emails atm.

What's the point of stats? It sounds like combat challenges of RPS are based off of skills.

Gnaeus
2011-01-15, 12:06 PM
Another question since my storyteller or whatever isn't responding to emails atm.

What's the point of stats? It sounds like combat challenges of RPS are based off of skills.

Skills provide retests, stats usually determine who wins when you tie.

randomhero00
2011-01-18, 04:58 PM
Skills provide retests, stats usually determine who wins when you tie.

But if I get win all ties then my stats won't matter?

Gnaeus
2011-01-18, 05:09 PM
But if I get win all ties then my stats won't matter?

Unless your opponent also gets win all ties, or an ability that cancels win all ties (like werewolves can get). Then you are back to comparing traits (stats).

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-18, 05:12 PM
But if I get win all ties then my stats won't matter?You usually manage to win ties by having some sort of Discipline or merit, or a really high amount of stats. :smalltongue:

Also, your stats would determine how many Traits of that type you get. If you've only got one Dexterity-related Trait, and in the first Physical challenge you make that night, you lose it, you're not going to be able to use it for the rest of the night, which can mean some trouble for you.

randomhero00
2011-01-18, 05:23 PM
I think I see. So what are the most important combat stats?

What are the most important social stats?

randomhero00
2011-02-02, 12:49 PM
What are the best negative and positive traits to take?

randomhero00
2011-02-02, 12:57 PM
PS it is Minds Eye Theatre Laws of the Night

Hanuman
2011-02-02, 01:03 PM

Anyways, I think I want to play a strong social character who has a lot of control. But I wouldn't mind being a slump in combat either. Can you even optifu a larp game?

So I need tips on character....Can start as an old japanese vampire?

I need tips on larping. Although this is less urgent as the first day is just chargen day.
Hmm, pretending to be a vampire...

Be estranged, antisocial, and a sociopathic killer.

Mix some glitter into a super pale foundation and there you go.

Add additional flavor as needed, probably around some form of animalistic urge and dancing around satisfying that with the shame and moral conflict around doing so.

Wear a cape and hide a foam padded 10lb shield behind it, and when you enter a combat pull it out and SHIELD BASH.

You'll get kicked out of the larping places pretty fast, but oh will it be fun.

randomhero00
2011-02-02, 01:19 PM
I think I have the negative traits down. I especially need advice on what positive traits/merits to take. I've got about 28 points.

TheCountAlucard
2011-02-02, 01:45 PM
...You'll get kicked out of the larping places pretty fast, but oh will it be fun.Hilarious. :smallannoyed:

Anyway, OP, Unbondable's considered one of the better positive qualities, if for no other reason than you'll be keeping your head, no matter how much of another Kindred's vitae you guzzle.

WarMerged
2011-02-02, 01:50 PM
When a new malk comes into town, send them to the local grocery store with $20 and a simple shopping list. If they cannot return with the items requested without breaking the masquerade, having the police or fire department called, or killing anyone, they are a liability, not an asset, and should be immediately executed with the active assistance of the prince.

I love this. Love it. I get so tired of people playing Malk's who cannot get over the serial killer or fluffy bunny stereotypes. Of course your Malk can be a serial killer, but so many people are obvious about it. It annoys me. Anyway, that's not the point. The point was, awesome test.

randomhero00
2011-02-02, 01:51 PM
What I really need is a sample build.

Attributes: 1 for 1
Abilities: 1 for 1
Backgrounds: 1 for 1
Merits: Bought at point value of the Merit (i.e 2 freebies buy a 2 point Merit)
Disciplines: 3 for 1 up to level 3
Willpower: 3 for 1

5 Free Traits

I've taken 28 pts so far in flaws.

I know I want celerity 3 (9 pts) and gen 8 (5 pts).

The rest I'm lost on.

Gnaeus
2011-02-02, 02:04 PM
I love this. Love it. I get so tired of people playing Malk's who cannot get over the serial killer or fluffy bunny stereotypes. Of course your Malk can be a serial killer, but so many people are obvious about it. It annoys me. Anyway, that's not the point. The point was, awesome test.

Thank you. I agree, playing a serial killer is fine, but even Mr. Lecter can go to the store and buy his chianti.

You know, after I explained the test, I never had a Prince who didn't give it his enthusiastic support. Works to rid yourself of chaotic stupids in many other game systems as well.