PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Me a Laptop

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-01-07, 01:15 PM
I currently have two computers: a tiny netbook with Windows 7 Starter and 1GB of memory, and a large PC with Linux Mint and 6GB of memory.
I travel a lot, do amateur graphic design, play MMOs, and watch movies. All this is hard to do with my netbook while on the go, so I'm looking to buy a larger laptop.

I want something:
- With at least 4 GB of memory.
- With at least 250 GB of hard drive space.
- With a nice graphics card.
- With good speakers.
- Not too heavy.
- Costing under $700.

Thanks in advance! :smallwink:

monomer
2011-01-07, 04:42 PM
For $700, getting a laptop with a decent video card isn't easy. There are a bunch out there with a GeForce 310M or a Radeon 5470, but these are both hitting pretty close to the low end now.

The Radeon 5650 seems to be offering about the best bang for your buck in terms of graphics performance right now, but it is pretty hard to find any in the $700 range.

If you can stand going a bit over your budget though, there are a couple choices for under $750:

Acer Aspire TimelineX AS3820TG-7360 Intel Core i3 370M(2.40GHz) 13.3" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Notebook (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115964CVF) for

MSI FX400-063US Intel Core i3 380M(2.53GHz) 14" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT 325M Notebook
(http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152215)

I doubt either of these have very good speakers, but I wouldn't expect much from this department for any laptop at this price point.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-01-07, 06:23 PM
For $700, getting a laptop with a decent video card isn't easy. There are a bunch out there with a GeForce 310M or a Radeon 5470, but these are both hitting pretty close to the low end now.

The Radeon 5650 seems to be offering about the best bang for your buck in terms of graphics performance right now, but it is pretty hard to find any in the $700 range.

If you can stand going a bit over your budget though, there are a couple choices for under $750:

Acer Aspire TimelineX AS3820TG-7360 Intel Core i3 370M(2.40GHz) 13.3" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Notebook (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115964CVF) for

MSI FX400-063US Intel Core i3 380M(2.53GHz) 14" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT 325M Notebook
(http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152215)

I doubt either of these have very good speakers, but I wouldn't expect much from this department for any laptop at this price point.

$750 is probably too much. In fact, $700 might be. :smallfrown:

Icewalker
2011-01-07, 06:33 PM
You know, I'm currently looking for an answer to almost the exact same question, albeit with a slightly larger price range ($1500) and hoping for a computer that can pull off modern games on at least moderate settings. Not Crysis, but like, I dunno, Mass Effect 2?

For that price range, I'm guessing you could manage something that could run movies and things like WoW, but it's not going to run modern high quality graphics games, and computer speakers in my experience are rarely that good. (You might be able to buy good quality external speakers that are small? I don't know, not something I've looked into much).

I mean, the first thing to do, if you haven't is to go to assorted major laptop producers and look at their mid/low end media and entertainment laptops, and their general use laptops. This being, lessee, Toshiba, HP, Lenovo, Sony, Dell...I'm probably missing at least one.

Edit: Oh, and one very useful piece of advice for you. Once you have found the computer you want, and have it in your cart on the website, or the like, call the company, and say you want it, but you really aren't sure, you're considering others as well, and could they drop the price a little? I have found this often works quite well. Last time I was looking for computers, I asked Dell this, got turned down, asked Lenovo, and they took like 15% off the computer I was buying.

OracleofWuffing
2011-01-07, 06:36 PM
You'll probably want to consider refurbished laptops at that price range with those requests.

Here's (http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?rn=286&SC=&c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb) a refurbished Dell Vostro 3500, i5, 320 GB Hard Drive, 4 GB RAM, 512MB NVIDIA Geforce 310M Video Card, and that's starting at about $625. (Here's (http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?rn=7042&SC=lowToHigh&c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh) a pricier but similar refurbished Studio, if you can't qualify for that Vostro.)

Looks like the Acer and MSI are still quite a bit superior, but if you can get past the "ew, refurbished" gamble, that's an option for you. However, don't expect awesome speakers on any laptop. People spend twice your budget and still get crummy speakers.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-01-07, 07:12 PM
The Dell XPS 15 (http://www.dell.com/ca/p/xps-15/pd?refid=xps-15&baynote_bnrank=1&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch) intrigues me. Is it any good?

Edit: Oh, and one very useful piece of advice for you. Once you have found the computer you want, and have it in your cart on the website, or the like, call the company, and say you want it, but you really aren't sure, you're considering others as well, and could they drop the price a little? I have found this often works quite well. Last time I was looking for computers, I asked Dell this, got turned down, asked Lenovo, and they took like 15% off the computer I was buying.
Brilliant!

Deathslayer7
2011-01-07, 07:23 PM
If you minus the graphics card, you might be able to get away with a good laptop for that price. I bought mine for about $600 and it is pretty good except in graphics, which it is decent. But I was going more for school work rather than video games.

thorgrim29
2011-01-07, 08:01 PM
For a budget over 1000, I'd advise looking at the ASUS N series laptops. They're monsters, but they're pretty big and have low battery life.

Icewalker
2011-01-07, 10:01 PM
Hmmmm, yeah, I just found a 17 inch ASUS gaming computer. It's $1500, exactly my price range, and its specs are incredible.

1.73 Ghz quadcore processor,
8 GB RAM, DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460M (according to a graphics card website, Crysis on high graphics? Sure.)
750 GB, 7200 RPM hard drive

So, basically, significantly better than anything I've found elsewhere. The only thing is, from what I understand, ASUS customer service and the like are horrific. And some poking around their website reinforces that suspicion. Leaves me unsure.

Irbis
2011-01-09, 05:15 PM
I wonder how long it will be before someone proposes Apple while trying to convince you the very same parts for 2x the price are 2x faster due to logo.

And that no, you don't need to play games, or do design, shiny box is more important.

I'd look at older laptops, you can get something with ~GF9800 for 500-600$

Wreckingrocc
2011-01-09, 05:49 PM
I wonder how long it will be before someone proposes Apple while trying to convince you the very same parts for 2x the price are 2x faster due to logo.

And that no, you don't need to play games, or do design, shiny box is more important.Don't forget the photo organization software, and garage band, and... Umm... Yeah, I'm running dry.

My bro recently got a Toshiba Satellite (http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite) for pretty cheap, and it seems to work pretty well. Runs L4D2, Borderlands, and the like on incredibly solid settings.

Ichneumon
2011-01-10, 01:11 AM

And that no, you don't need to play games, or do design, shiny box is more important.

I'd look at older laptops, you can get something with ~GF9800 for 500-600$

I'd say that whatever anyone thinks of the "value versus price" of Apple computers, with the OP stating that $700 is already almost too much money, I don't think the OP will have the option of buying a mac anyway.

They're good computers though, if you can afford them.

Gaelbert
2011-01-10, 02:46 AM
I'm using another version of this (http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/portege/R700), the 705. I got it for around $700 and I haven't had any problems with it. It meets nearly all of your criteria from what I can tell. The video card might be a problem, it's ran everything I've played but I tend to play older games anyways.

Irbis
2011-01-10, 08:25 AM
I'm using another version of this, the 705.

Um... that's an ultraportable, not larger gaming laptop OP wants. It will be poor in games unless bought for 1500+ $.

They're good computers though, if you can afford them.

Yup. If you polish them enough, they make a great laptop stands for real laptops! :smallbiggrin:

Deathslayer7
2011-01-10, 11:25 AM
Don't forget the photo organization software, and garage band, and... Umm... Yeah, I'm running dry.

My bro recently got a Toshiba Satellite (http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite) for pretty cheap, and it seems to work pretty well. Runs L4D2, Borderlands, and the like on incredibly solid settings.

I have a Toshiba Satellite as well. It's durable and whatnot. But the only games I play on it are Team Fortress 2 and subsidies of Valve. They run well enough. Got it for $600ish so it was a good deal. Use it mostly for school though.

Icewalker
2011-01-10, 12:31 PM
Yup. If you polish them enough, they make a great laptop stands for real laptops! :smallbiggrin:

Oh, come now. Macs are good computers. They just aren't better computers, and they are more expensive. If you're willing to pay almost twice the price for an OS style preference, then so be it, it's a preference.

Linux, now, it's just better. If you can use it, and have any reason to be using it. If you don't, it's just kind of unnecessary complexity.

...This isn't an OS discussion thread. Sorry. I shouldn't have done that.

As to the actual questions at hand, I can put in a positive note for Toshiba in general: I've got a Toshiba netbook, like $300, just a tiny portable thing to take notes with, and it works great. Finding a midrange inexpensive Toshiba computer is probably a good shot.

Irbis
2011-01-10, 06:39 PM
Oh, come now. Macs are good computers. They just aren't better computers, and they are more expensive. If you're willing to pay almost twice the price for an OS style preference, then so be it, it's a preference.

Good? Well, I though so too. Until I counted USB ports. Or network ports. Or saw that proprietary graphics output that costs you dozens of $ for cables to connect to anything.

Then, there's 200-400$ minimum sum wasted on pretty cover.

After this, comes realization that normal PCs are faster and you ask yourself why you bothered.

Linux, now, it's just better. If you can use it, and have any reason to be using it. If you don't, it's just kind of unnecessary complexity.

Linus is better than what? :smallconfused:

And in what, exactly?

Fuzzie Fuzz
2011-01-10, 10:17 PM
Oh look. This thread is relevant to my interests. I'm actually looking for something very similar, with the same approximate price range. The only differences are that I don't really need great graphics (the most graphics-intensive game I play is probably Spore) or speakers (I usually just keep the sound off or use headphones).

Anyways, I'll be watching this thread.

VanBuren
2011-01-10, 10:34 PM
The Acer Aspire 5741G-6983 is probably what I'd recommend here. It's fast and great for gaming, and it's about $699. They dropped the ball on placing an ethernet port, as it's in an annoying location, but otherwise good.

u-gotNOgame
2011-01-11, 12:51 AM
Here is the one that I'm currently using. Acer Aspire AS 7551G (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115863). For the price it has monster specs, but it is an AMD processor. However, I find that it runs most games that I play on max specs. Keep in mind that the most recent game I own is Napoleon Total War, but dammit that grass looks pretty.
The speakers are meh but if you have a decent external pair of speakers or a decent set of headphones the sounds isn't bad.
The rest of the specs seems to line up: 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB 5400RPM HD (Yes there are 7200 RPM drives out there but you have to pay for those), 1 GB Dedicated VRAM on an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (Outdated but usable), 7.26 LB's which some people might label as heavy but I've never had a problem with it the real problem is that the screen is 16.3" across. Supports a beautiful 1600x900 resolution but most laptop bags just aren't made for it.
The triple core AMD Phenom II (2.2 GHz apeice) clocks in better than most i3 duo's but less than an i5. But if anyone can find a i5 for 650$ let me know.
Comes loaded with 64 Bit Windows 7 and all that jazz. I would caution against trying to run the wifi without plugging it in because the battery life is atrocious, but you give and take when you run such a large screen with higher end specs. Also it runs hot when you game for longer periods of time however I've never had it lock up on me and a cooling pad might help mitigate this (I don't have one).
I love it, YMMV

Ytaker
2011-01-11, 12:56 AM

They're pretty powerful, pretty reliable. I run only windows on my mac, because I prefer the windows operating system but like the mac design.

You need lotsa money though.

riccaru
2011-01-11, 03:20 PM
Here is the one that I'm currently using. Acer Aspire AS 7551G (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115863). For the price it has monster specs, but it is an AMD processor. However, I find that it runs most games that I play on max specs. Keep in mind that the most recent game I own is Napoleon Total War, but dammit that grass looks pretty.
The speakers are meh but if you have a decent external pair of speakers or a decent set of headphones the sounds isn't bad.
The rest of the specs seems to line up: 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB 5400RPM HD (Yes there are 7200 RPM drives out there but you have to pay for those), 1 GB Dedicated VRAM on an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (Outdated but usable), 7.26 LB's which some people might label as heavy but I've never had a problem with it the real problem is that the screen is 16.3" across. Supports a beautiful 1600x900 resolution but most laptop bags just aren't made for it.
The triple core AMD Phenom II (2.2 GHz apeice) clocks in better than most i3 duo's but less than an i5. But if anyone can find a i5 for 650$ let me know.
Comes loaded with 64 Bit Windows 7 and all that jazz. I would caution against trying to run the wifi without plugging it in because the battery life is atrocious, but you give and take when you run such a large screen with higher end specs. Also it runs hot when you game for longer periods of time however I've never had it lock up on me and a cooling pad might help mitigate this (I don't have one).
I love it, YMMV

7.26 lbs is heavy? You must not have seen an Alienware:smalltongue:. The 15 inch Alienware weighs just shy of 10 lbs. Also, you might want to look into the alienware bags, they're massive. I can fit my laptop, my friends, all the cords, and my varios other stuff all in that bag. A reviewer had two 15 inches, a 10 inch, all the cords, a cell phone and an ipod in the backpack.:smallamused:

They're pretty powerful, pretty reliable. I run only windows on my mac, because I prefer the windows operating system but like the mac design.

You need lotsa money though.

They're not any more powerful than a windows machine. :smallconfused:

On topic, your best bets for that price range are Asus or Acer. Toshiba is an option, but I've personally never liked their computers. Don't ask me why, though.

Scorpina
2011-01-11, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure what the current exchange rate is like, but my HP Pavilliondv6 ticked all your boxes and cost me around £500 a few months ago. I assume that'd fit the bill for you.

Syka
2011-01-11, 10:02 PM
I got an Asus UL50-VT for just under 700USD back in June (well, more like just over 600 but that is a discount I got because they didn't have the computer I was going to get but they sold the last of, like, right in front of me ><). I absolutely adore this baby.

Unless I'm remembering horribly, this is the first computer I've had for more than 6 months without having to call tech support for it. I went through two Toshiba's in the month of May this year, both had the same issue. I hated my Dell.

The specs on this machine are pretty good, and it's just a hair over 5 pounds with an awesome battery life (currently reading about 7.5 hours). My cousin has the newer version she got in September, and also loves it. I give the Asus UL series a big two thumbs up.

Dubious Pie
2011-01-13, 02:22 AM
I own a Acer Aspire AS7551G-6477 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115863) and it does all of those things. Especially the speakers. Best sound I have ever heard on a lappy. It is 7.2 lbs, though. Battery life is bad, 2 hours.

Kislath
2011-01-13, 02:37 AM
If you can wait awhile, you should. Intel finally developed a new laptop processor that includes a separate highpowered video processor. Now we can have have high-end video cards, as it were, in laptops, at long last. It'll probably be several months before we start seeing these on the market, but they'll change everything once they hit the shelves.

Irbis
2011-01-13, 05:04 AM
What. You could get high-powered cards in laptops from, like, always. That was the whole point of brands like Alienware.

Unless Intel magically developed something stronger that you can find in desktops adhering to all the rules of DirectX 11 there is no chance in hell they can beat even current capability of their competition's laptops.

Syka
2011-01-13, 02:59 PM
My laptop- I'd put it at midrange about's- has 4GB RAM and 512MB dedicated VRAM. Isn't that basically what you are saying?

Also...I don't game, but I've heard that these UL's are pretty decent for gaming due to the discreet graphics. Sound I haven't had a problem with, although the speakers are positioned slightly weird. It's also a pretty giant laptop for being so light- very wide keyboard and screen.

Neftren
2011-01-13, 03:07 PM
Hmmmm, yeah, I just found a 17 inch ASUS gaming computer. It's $1500, exactly my price range, and its specs are incredible.

1.73 Ghz quadcore processor,
8 GB RAM, DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460M (according to a graphics card website, Crysis on high graphics? Sure.)
750 GB, 7200 RPM hard drive

So, basically, significantly better than anything I've found elsewhere. The only thing is, from what I understand, ASUS customer service and the like are horrific. And some poking around their website reinforces that suspicion. Leaves me unsure.

That looks to be a G53JW or G73JW. Looks like a Stealth Bomber yes? ASUS customer service isn't bad. Nowhere near as horrible as Dell Home. You have to get over the stigma of ASUS being a Taiwanese company.

As for the OP, in the $700 range, it may be worth looking into an Alienware M11x (Core 2 Duo SU7300 w/ GT335M), if you can get past all the weird lights and funky alien head on the lid.

There's also the HP Envy 14 with the 5650 inside that goes on sale every so often, or if you don't need a backlit keyboard and full aluminum construction, then the HP dv_t series works well too.