PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Druids

B1okHead
2011-01-07, 03:18 PM
How have people done this in their games? I was thinking that instead of taking on a animals ability scores when wildshaping you could instead take on their ability scores -10 for an even score and -11 for an odd score. I was also thinking of getting rid of the animal companion. Would this be too much? Not enough (they are still full casters)?

hamishspence
2011-01-07, 03:21 PM
The shapeshift druid variant in PHB2 gives them "generic animal forms"- reducing the power of the trait to a more managable level.

Removing or limiting animal companions would probably bring them into "ordinary high level caster" territory- rather than them being a caster with a fighting buddy, who can both hit harder than many melee classes.

B1okHead
2011-01-07, 05:02 PM
How about limiting them to 6th level spells and giving them a bard's spell progression?

RndmNumGen
2011-01-07, 05:05 PM
How about limiting them to 6th level spells and giving them a bard's spell progression?

Probably would bring them down to Tier 3. High or low Tier 3 would depend if they got to keep wildshape/animal companions or not.

Dead_Jester
2011-01-07, 05:21 PM
I don't suggest reducing Druid casting if you don't intend to do the same with the other casting classes (giving them class features, of course). Giving them Shapeshift variant (with or without animal companion is up to you) would put them more in line with other full casters. Of course, a few animal companions (eg, Fleshraker) should be banned.

Full casters don't need fixing, the spells do. If you play them with a supportive role and avoid becoming DroodZilla by selecting spells that help the other characters instead of murderising everything with your ungodly powers, Druids are ok.

The main problem with Druids is that they become overpowered with a bit of optimization, and downright broken if seriously optimized.

In the end, it all depends on the game itself. In a high powered game, Druids are ok. In a medium powered game (tier 3 ish), then all full caster are overpowered.

B1okHead
2011-01-07, 05:48 PM
How far would removing natural spell go?

Leon
2011-01-07, 05:53 PM
How far would removing natural spell go?

A long way.
Being a Full caster is powerful, being a nasty natural combat beast is powerful - doing both at the the same is way overpowered.

So a means to limit that by making you choose between combat form and casting is a good balance.

Dead_Jester
2011-01-07, 06:31 PM
Actually, it really depends on the level of optimization we're talking about here. A druid can "easily" get full wizard casting early with 3 feats.

teslas
2011-01-08, 01:12 AM
Actually, it really depends on the level of optimization we're talking about here. A druid can "easily" get full wizard casting early with 3 feats.

Mind explaining if you've got the time? I've never built a druid and don't know much about them.

Serpentine
2011-01-09, 01:07 AM
I like homebrewing or tracking down more specific Druid variants - like a Magma or Plant Druid, or maybe a sort of Feral Druid or Elemental, or a Reptile Druid or... You know, that sort of thing. Mostly overpoweredness isn't a problem in my game, but I have asked people wanting to play one before if they would avoid using Natural Spell.

ShriekingDrake
2011-01-09, 09:55 PM
. . . fixing them would sure put a stop to them reproducing.