PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Problem. Help Please

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-07, 05:55 PM
I have an HPvs17e monitor, when I turn it on it stays on for one second then goes blank. the light stays on and doesn't change color. the computer still works and the sound still functions. There are no loose cables and I have cleaned the contacts. I haven't changed any settings recemtly(or at least don't think that I have) Any advice at all would be appreciated.

ShadowHunter
2011-01-08, 01:16 AM
First question, can you get into the BIOS without it crashing? How about starting in safe mode (VGA mode)?

Could be several things. Here are the things that come to mind. The monitor's backlight could just be dying. Easy to check, shine a bright light (e.g., a flashlight) on the monitor after it goes out and see if you can see stuff. If you can, then I say it's time to step up to at least a 20-inch ^_^

If not, that means video isn't getting to the monitor, or it is, but in a way that the monitor can't work with.

If it's the former, it probably means your video card is slag, or soon to be. The fan could have died or it could be coated in dust or a number of things, and it's overheating shortly after firing up and cutting off. You could check that by opening up the case and watching it while you boot up and seeing if the fan comes on or if it goes off right away, or anything weird like that.

Or, your video card drivers have been corrupted and you'll need to remove them and try to reinstall them. If that's the problem, you'll probably be able to boot in safe mode.

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-08, 10:12 AM
Okay, I held up the flashlight and saw what looks like a faint negative image of the screen.

So that would mean that I need a new monitor. Know of any place where I can get one with a 4:3 aspect ratio?

Erloas
2011-01-08, 11:23 AM
A 4:3 screen is going to be hard to find any more and its going to cost more then a widescreen. Since there is very little demand for them very few people are making them and the prices aren't going to come down. For the price of a 19" 4:3 you can probably get a 23"ish LED widescreen.

I prefer the 16:10 aspect ratio over 16:9 but even that is hard to find any more, I'm glad I got my monitor 2 years ago when that was still the primary monitor aspect ratio.

ShadowHunter
2011-01-09, 11:01 AM
Newegg is the traditional first thing that pops into people's minds when looking for computer stuff.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=20&name=LCD-Monitors

On the left, you can filter by not widescreen...if you really want a non-widescreen monitor

You might want to borrow a friend's monitor or find an old one or something and hook it up to the computer just to make sure, I always get nervous when I offer suggestions that result in people spending money!

This sounds like your problem: http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10306 and unless you're going to replace capacitors and solder and all that, that's the end of the monitor. And this guy echoes the shine a flashlight on the screen suggestion to see if it's the backlight, http://www.ehow.com/how_4734967_diagnose-dim-dark-lcd-screen.html

So I think that's the problem, but it'd be super cool if you could doublecheck with someone else's monitor! Or you could just be like me and decide it's a sign to get a bigger monitor ^_^ How old was it? I had a Dell monitor that failed after like 1.5 years, which I think is pretty bad, so I try to stay away from them. I don't know about HP.

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-09, 11:17 AM
This one lasted about 5 years. And thanks for the advice all, I might try either Newegg or Overstock. I like the 4:3 because I play a lot of games in that ratio.

Erloas
2011-01-09, 11:43 AM
But you can play games in just about every resolution. Some really old games might not support anything but 4:3 but most games will. I've even seen some old games get widescreen support from the player community.

Irbis
2011-01-09, 05:10 PM
I prefer the 16:10 aspect ratio over 16:9 but even that is hard to find any more, I'm glad I got my monitor 2 years ago when that was still the primary monitor aspect ratio.

Yeah, they did one thing well by replacing crappy 4:3 with almost perfect 16:10, then had to ruin it by that damn 16:9 :smallsigh:

This one lasted about 5 years. And thanks for the advice all, I might try either Newegg or Overstock. I like the 4:3 because I play a lot of games in that ratio.

Um... You are aware that most new games are not going to support it anymore? They already do not, beside token compatibility.

ShadowHunter
2011-01-10, 12:55 AM
LOL 16:9? 16:10? I like to use those while I start a fire with flint and cook my dinner with stone utensils! 21:9 is how men view media! http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Vizio-Cinema-HDTV.jpg

No I'm not being remotely serious, but I'm patiently waiting widely available reasonably priced ultra widescreen displays ^_^

factotum
2011-01-10, 02:20 AM
Yeah, they did one thing well by replacing crappy 4:3 with almost perfect 16:10, then had to ruin it by that damn 16:9 :smallsigh:

Economies of scale--16:9 is the standard LCD TV resolution, and it's a lot cheaper for them to make a monitor using a TV panel than it is to make one specially for computer use. Once you get above 1920x1080 (standard 1080p TV resolution) then you ought to be able to get something of a different aspect ratio, but I bet it'll cost!

Fri
2011-01-10, 03:58 AM
I actually prefer the old 4:3 as well. It's only because I can't play a lot of old games that doesn't allow windowed mode with my cheap widescreen. I know that there're widescreen monitors that can change their resolution to fit non widescreen games though, but mine can't do that.

Irbis
2011-01-10, 07:51 AM
LOL 16:9? 16:10? I like to use those while I start a fire with flint and cook my dinner with stone utensils! 21:9 is how men view media! http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Vizio-Cinema-HDTV.jpg

Pfft, 16:9 and 21:9 are glorified stone age screens substitute, normal PCs need screens you can actually use for something else than hollywood spam! :smallannoyed:

I actually prefer the old 4:3 as well. It's only because I can't play a lot of old games that doesn't allow windowed mode with my cheap widescreen. I know that there're widescreen monitors that can change their resolution to fit non widescreen games though, but mine can't do that.

Um... I'd bet it's a problem with your OS, not screen, at least according to my knowledge.

Fri
2011-01-10, 08:00 AM
No... I forgot what it's called. Basically, I remember that there are two types of connection from your monitor to your pc. The one with multiple cable can basically 'pretend' to be a non widescreen monitor, unrelated to the program or OS used. The one I have don't have any options to 'pretend' to be a non widescreen monitor, even after downloading all the newest driver and program. You need for the program or game in question to have a 'windowed option.' Damnit, can anyone remind me what's I'm talking about? Or am I talking nonsense here? I distinctly remember researching about this first time I got my computer and wanting to play old games.

Edit:

Aha. I remember what I'm talking about. My monitor still uses VGA connector. The one that can 'pretend' to be non widescreen monitor use DVI connector. I think that's how it works.... or am I still talking nonsense?

Elder Tsofu
2011-01-10, 08:11 AM
The answer I "found" while searching around for 4:3 on my netbook was that it appeared to depend on the graphics card, and that newer ones removed this functionality (for to me unknown reasons).
Window mode can be horrible on small screens (cutting of some of the game to fit it into the window), and widescreen of a 4:3 almost equally so. :smallannoyed:

Of course, it can be that my screen got more cables too - I just cant see them as they're hidden.

Irbis
2011-01-10, 08:19 AM
Aha. I remember what I'm talking about. My monitor still uses VGA connector. The one that can 'pretend' to be non widescreen monitor use DVI connector. I think that's how it works.... or am I still talking nonsense?

Someone still uses VGA? :smallconfused:

I mean, I built my PC in 2004 and it already has DVI.

Yes, VGA causes all sorts of problems, which is why its usage has fallen dramatically ever since something better was released.

I agree with Tsofu, normally, it depends on drivers. Still, 4:3 on 16:10 beats 16:9 every day :smallannoyed:

Fri
2011-01-10, 10:19 AM
You tell me... :smallsigh:

I wonder. Does VGA-DVI adaptor works for things like this?

Irbis
2011-01-10, 10:31 AM
You tell me... :smallsigh:

I wonder. Does VGA-DVI adaptor works for things like this?

Poorly. One kind is digital, the other analog. The problem lies in the analog output to begin with.

You really have no second, digital output in dvi/hdmi?