PDA

View Full Version : Your posting style

Orzel
2011-01-07, 06:58 PM
What are the quirks and aspects of the way you write your posts?
What topics creep into your posts? And what topics attract your attention quickly?
Use bold a lot? Long posts or short and sweet? Commonly used words?

If you haven't noticed. I rearely make paragraphs because I space every topic in my posts. Don't know why I do it.
Maybe my brain is unconsciously protecting my eyes by spacing out anything I write.

I rarely used bold or italics when on forums. If I need emphasis, all caps ALL THE WAY!

And maybe about 5% of anything I write has a reference to food, eating, or hunger.

I also rarely use the same adjective or adverb in the same post more than once. Typing "the big duck ate the big fish" hurts my brain.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-07, 07:04 PM
well my posting style is almost the same as yours

a line of text

a line of space

Mikhailangelo
2011-01-07, 07:05 PM
I post like a pretentious (Censored)

Because I am a law student, and for some reason that induces one to write like a pretentious (Censored)

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-07, 07:12 PM
I post like a pretentious (Censored)

Because I am a law student, and for some reason that induces one to write like a pretentious (Censored)

i like you already

Moff Chumley
2011-01-07, 07:21 PM
Well, I dig the puntuation thing. Grammar not so much. Fragments are your friends, playground. Also the word "dig". Cheap irony/self reference, also. c wut i did thar.

More or less, I post the way I talk, which I'll concede is hardly fair to you guys, but I find that it's the most effecient way of getting what I'm trying to say across, the way I'm trying to say it. WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT. Because ALLCAPS is cooler than bold or italics, although I sometimes use italics when I'm frustrated.

I tend to bring up music as often as possible, post in music related threads, judge people based on music taste, et cetera.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-07, 07:26 PM
Heck if I know.

WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT. Because ALLCAPS is cooler than bold or italics, although I sometimes use italics when I'm frustrated.
Would you be offended if I bit your head off next you do that? The answer is no. No you would not. Because I would be digesting your brain. Caps kill people.

Edit: Never mind, there we go. I tend to resolve annoyances with decapitation. Isn't it so quirky?

Moff Chumley
2011-01-07, 07:28 PM
As long as you're cool with me posting something like this (http://demotivational.ca/haters-gonna-hate/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/haters-gonna-hate-kid.jpg), 'sall good. :smalltongue:

RandomNPC
2011-01-07, 07:35 PM
Caps kill people.

I thought Caps were a monetary system.....

And there you have a decent example of my post style. I try to open with humor when acceptable, explain myself, and leave on a good note. Also, I try with the spelling and whatnot, but it's not my strong suit. I'll also space things out by topic if it changes drasticly or gets to big as one block of text.

The Succubus
2011-01-07, 07:38 PM
I have a tendency to barge into random threads, derail them with a witty one-liner and then vanish into the recesses of the Internet, laughing hysterically.

*dives out the window, giggling like a lunatic*

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-07, 07:45 PM
I have a tendency to barge into random threads, derail them with a witty one-liner and then vanish into the recesses of the Internet, laughing hysterically.

*dives out the window, giggling like a lunatic*

*rushes to window and shakes fist*

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-07, 07:50 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/waywordfool/OotSAvatars/VorpalTribble.gif

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-07, 07:52 PM
Whenever I start a new paragraph...

I start a new line.

Also don't mock my grammar, spelling, or live of fire. The last person who did that was found frozen in a block of ice. (for the irony)

Teddy
2011-01-07, 07:54 PM
I tend to make my sentences even longer and more complicated than when I speak, and that says a lot. I bet at least half of my sentences contains at least one comma, like the previous one, and this one too for that matter. I also love brackets (I love to add comments to anything and everything, but enough about that for now), and I really love to write nigh infinite sentences, following comma with comma, creating what you might call a thirty clauses pileup and making the whole thing a bit more convoluted to read. I also use a pretty advanced vocabulary, as I pick up new words as if I were a sponge, and try to put them to use immediately (I sometimes even forget common words because I use them too seldom). I work hard to not make my paragraphs too long, but they usually end up pretty large anyway.

When it comes to the content, I usually alternate between being and not being serious, depending on the thread and the topic, but I usually stick to being a bit more serious than otherwise. I generally read through everything I've written twice, correcting errors and anything that might be misinterpretated as hostility, as one of my biggest fears is that people think I'm rude towards them. I try to be more open and spontaneous on the forum than I am IRL, but I find that hard too, due to me often thinking a bit more than what's best for myself.

Also, I like to tack on extra comments to my posts as a PS (as if the brackets weren't enough), looking mostly like this sentence.

Also, I tend to intentionally emphasise my writing style when writing about my writing style. :smallwink:

Roland St. Jude
2011-01-07, 07:56 PM
I have a habit of posting in red and telling people what to do. Also, my attention is somehow drawn to the worse aspects of discussion on the forum. It's like I can't look away.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-07, 07:56 PM
Whenever I start a new paragraph...

I start a new line.

Also don't mock my grammar, spelling, or live of fire. The last person who did that was found frozen in a block of ice. (for the irony)

commence mocking :smallamused:

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-07, 07:58 PM
When it comes to the content, I usually alternate between beeing and not being serious, depending on the thread and the topic, but I usually stick to being a bit more serious than otherwise. I generally read through everything I've written twice, correcting errors and anything that might be missinterpretated as hostility, as one of my biggest fears is that people think I'm rude towards them.
This amuses me greatly.

Btw, hint, someone, somewhere, somehow will think you're rude no matter what. Learned that some years ago. That's when I began speaking my mind or simply staying silent.
Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. So you might as well say what you damned well please http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Teddy
2011-01-07, 08:06 PM
This amuses me greatly.

Oh, come on. Posts that long requires more than twice reading through them to catch all the typos (even though I tend to misspell any word with "mis" in it half the time, as Swedish spelling collides with English spelling at this point (as on many other points), but at least I won't do that with the word "misspelled"). I do, unfortunately, think a lot faster than I type, which repeatedly causes me to splice words together and make other stupid errors all the time. I've read posts I've written months ago and found spelling errors in them, but it's a bit too far away, though, so I won't edit them to correct them.

Also, did I say that I like to write brackets inside brackets? Programming is like heaven to me. :smallwink:

MoonCat
2011-01-07, 08:07 PM
I feel very bugged if I have any words that aren't considered words by my spellchecker and are red underlined. I hate posting with what the computer thinks of as a misspelling.

I do lots of paragraphs. And smilies. And exclamation points. :smallsmile:!

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-07, 08:08 PM
Oh, come on. Posts that long requires more than twice reading through them to catch all the typos
What browser you use? If you don't have Firefox I highly recommend it. Auto typo spell checker http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Using%20the%20spell%20checker

I feel very bugged if I have any words that aren't considered words by my spellchecker and are red underlined. I hate posting with what the computer thinks of as a misspelling.
Except for that. Easy to ignore though.

Teddy
2011-01-07, 08:10 PM
What browser you use? If you don't have Firefox I highly recommend it. Auto typo spell checker http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Using%20the%20spell%20checker

I actually do use firefox on this computer (out of three I use regularly), but I've never turned on spell check on it. Don't know why, really...

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-07, 08:12 PM
My posting syle is merely exemplary of my speech. I have a propensity toward overelaboration at times, which leads me to make concise and thus concinnous posts in order to combat that tendency. I strive for clarity, and as such there is a marked paucity of spelling or grammatical errors which slip through - upon a rare occasion in which one does, I proceed immediately to edit it out.

I am naturally frank, yet polite, and it would be simply ghastly of me not to factor in a certain sense of humour with which I make it possible. :smallwink:

Formally speaking, I usually put spaces between paragraphs outside of a Random Banter quotestorm, during which to do so would lengthen my posts considerably. I make varying use of smilies depending on my mood (naturally :smallwink:), and occasional use of italics, but rarely ever bold or underlined text, or all caps.

Topics I have strong opinions on do indeed work their way into my posts - see enough of them and you'll realise what they are.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-07, 08:12 PM
I actually do use firefox on this computer (out of three I use regularly), but I've never turned on spell check on it. Don't know why, really...
It's really, really useful.

To this day I still have to use it to spell rhythm.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-07, 08:15 PM
Rhythm is a ghastly word and needs to die in a fire. The only worse offender is "nth". :smallannoyed:

Actually, the fact that "nth" has the gall to be a word impresses me.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-07, 08:17 PM
commence mocking :smallamused:

love... LOVE I SAY! I never spell it right. :smallfrown:

*freezes CynicalAvocado in a block of ice and pushes him out to sea*

Teddy
2011-01-07, 08:18 PM
It's really, really useful.

*looks around*
Can't find it... :smallfrown:

To this day I still have to use it to spell rhythm.

Hah, we Swedes have been smart and removed all h's in it. Makes it so much easier to spell. :smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-07, 08:20 PM
*looks around*
Can't find it... :smallfrown:
The link I posted shows you where to find it :smallwink:

ForzaFiori
2011-01-07, 08:23 PM
I speak pretty much the same way I talk, only with less vulgar language when I'm on these forums.

I usually have as close to perfect punctuation/spelling/grammar as I can, just out of sheer habit from taking too many high level English courses in high school. However, spelling is not my specialty, so I don't always have the best in the world. Also, I try to vary my adjectives and adverbs, but since I tend to use the same ones when I speak, it's hard to think of alternatives sometimes.

I divide my thoughts/paragraphs into separate blocks of text

ALL CAPS is for if I'd be yelling in real life.
Bold and italics are for if I'd be emphasizing in real life. I know there's a difference between the two types of emphasis, but I"m not sure how to describe it.

Eldan
2011-01-07, 08:24 PM
Well, I really like to use the word "well" a lot. I often have to stop myself from using it, well, in just about every sentence. Because, well, that gets annoying fast. (And yes, that's how I would post if I didn't go back and, well, remove half the wells. I'm not exaggerating on purpose here. (And this is another thing I do, explaining my own sentences in brackets).

Furthermore, I have been told, and confirmed it as true myself that, a bit like Teddy up there several posts above me, I have the tendency to write endlessly long, complicated sentences, which have a tendency to never stop and, instead, contain endless number of subordinate clauses, commas, itemizations and other kinds of clauses that make my sentences longer, often ending up with sentences that wind on for a short paragraph, taking up several lines and, in the end, barely having anything to do with the way they started, being so long as to be almost incomprehensible, which, I've been, again, told, tends to be a tad annoying.

Also, as a non-native speaker, I tend to just soak up words and phrases from everywhere, be it 19th century literature, fantasy fluff text or the American TV news, which apparently mixes up my language levels quite a bit.

Orzel
2011-01-07, 08:25 PM
love... LOVE I SAY! I never spell it right. :smallfrown:

*freezes CynicalAvocado in a block of ice and pushes him out to sea*

DID SOMEONE SAY AVOCADO?!
See now I'm hungry.

My posts tend to go on typo fits. If I make 3+ typos close together.... screw it, I aint doing al thatt work.

Malfunctioned
2011-01-07, 08:28 PM
Me?

Well........ I use a lot of ellipses and often post many short paragraphs.

I also tend to use breaks a lot more than I should. I use a hell of a lot of run-on sentences and have a tendency to babble in what appears to be an incoherent manner. Then again, I speak like this as well. :smalltongue:

CurlyKitGirl
2011-01-07, 08:29 PM
Well, to steal an obscure in-joke from a bit ago, my posting style is koorly.
To clarify, long, more than a little pedantic and picky; in fact, one could say that at times my sentences approach almost Sir Humphrey levels of verbosity, not to mention complexity, with several clauses, sub-clauses, clauses within sub-clauses and whatnot. To be honest, I speak as I write, I write as I speak.
Actually my written communication is much more coherent than my spoken as I'm not much of an orator and tend to mangle my speech. In addition my language itself is often mildly antiquated, with me gleefully using words which have been deemed obscure or obsolete, although oftentimes I don't even realise the words I'm using are such. Still, at least my posts are varied as far as prose goes.
Not to mentions sometimes I'm as tangential and pedantic as Bernard. Yeah, I bet you know what series I'm watching.
Oh, and I'm prone to quotestorming, to the point where I'll carry on conversations that happened several pages ago, and actually carry them on for several more pages.

Posting formats normally consist of paragraphs of text to address one topic, then leaving a line to move onto another topic. I'm prone to italics as emphasis, though if I'm particularly outraged I'll use bolding as well.
I think I may have popularised the use of ION although it existed beforehand, and I can't say with a certainty whether I did or not; I definitely introduced IOON and IRN, and those are used fairly often in my posts.

Topics would be books, things of a literary nature, self-deprecations, Britishness and the mocking thereof, geekery, films, occasional reviews of things, and inane rantings. Not to mention things which are obscure, or may be deemed obscure by others.

Thufir
2011-01-07, 08:41 PM
My posting style is pretty much the way I speak, only I have more time to think things through and elaborate on them. I can get a bit verbose, and I tend to be pretty pedantic about spelling, punctuation and grammar.

I habitually quotestorm, and also correct other people's SPG when I quote them. In Random Banter I use ION.

Recurring elements in my posts include maths, Gilbert & Sullivan, quotes/references to just about everything I've ever watched/read/listened to that I liked, cursing the Atlantic Ocean, Britishness, books, and how I think Curly is teh bestest person ever!!!!11!1!one!!!sin2x+cos2x!1!!!1!!i4!

averagejoe
2011-01-07, 08:41 PM
Rhythm is a ghastly word and needs to die in a fire. The only worse offender is "nth". :smallannoyed:

Actually, the fact that "nth" has the gall to be a word impresses me.

"nth," is just as serviceable as 1st or 2nd. You should see some of the more convoluted nomenclature that certain maths necessitate.

Though I can't really imagine using the word outside of doing math, and in that case what constitutes a, "Word," is rather blurry and usually not that important.

As for my style? I dunno, I just kinda say things.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-07, 08:42 PM
@^: I have heard "nth" used or used it myself, usually in the context of "to the nth degree", on several occasions.

Forgot to mention: aside from neglecting to include the less important half of sentances, I have an unfortunate habit of using bits of local vernacular in manners that would be saliently ironic if used in everyday speach, but aren't nescessarily obviously jocular when used in a text-based format. Dig? 's long as we're all down with that, things'll be chill. F'sho, bro. :smallsigh:

Skeppio
2011-01-07, 08:47 PM
I tend to post and write with the same patterns I speak with.

That is to say, my posts often tend to look strange and nonsensical when I read it as text and not speech. :smalltongue:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-07, 09:25 PM
To clarify, long, more than a little pedantic and picky; in fact, one could say that at times my sentences approach almost Sir Humphrey levels of verbosity, not to mention complexity, with several clauses, sub-clauses, clauses within sub-clauses and whatnot. To be honest, I speak as I write, I write as I speak.
Actually my written communication is much more coherent than my spoken as I'm not much of an orator and tend to mangle my speech. In addition my language itself is often mildly antiquated, with me gleefully using words which have been deemed obscure or obsolete, although oftentimes I don't even realise the words I'm using are such. Still, at least my posts are varied as far as prose goes.
Not to mentions sometimes I'm as tangential and pedantic as Bernard. Yeah, I bet you know what series I'm watching.

This makes me so incredibly happy. :smallbiggrin:

Andraste
2011-01-07, 09:59 PM
When I post I usually type most of it up first, then reread through it fixing things, then rereread through it moving things around, then rerereread through it adding sentences, then rererereread through it removing things, then I repeat the last step but with an extra 're', then I rererererereread it, splitting things into more paragraphs, then I usually post something with lots of long sentences with commas, or don't post it at all.
I usually click preview many times before actually posting, and if I do post it, I usually edit it quickly afterward to change something that I missed.
I also often reuse words a lot, like "usually" in this one. I debated with myself if it would be more ironic to say "often" or "usually" at the beginning of that last sentence. Then I debated with myself if I should include the sentence explaining this. Et cetera.

Sneak
2011-01-07, 10:07 PM
I generally post as I speak. Which is to say, ineloquently, obnoxiously, and too often.

Occasionally, because I'm an *******, I will TYPE THINGS IN ALL CAPS or something like that just to emphasize things or be eccentric or whatever and then sometimes i just don't capitalize anything or use such grammatical devices that might be deemed generally appropriate like commas or anything you know just because that's how i roll man i mean seriously AND SOMETIMES I WILL DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME THAT'S COOL RIGHT

Also I tend to hit the return key a lot. I like separate lines.

EDIT: I also like to edit my posts. I'm a perfectionist. Le sigh.

EDIT2: I also like to write EDIT: before the bit that I edited in to show that it was edited. Unless I was just fixing something, in which case the EDIT will be omitted. You'll never know!

Inhuman Bot
2011-01-07, 10:31 PM
I have a habit of posting in red and telling people what to do. Also, my attention is somehow drawn to the worse aspects of discussion on the forum. It's like I can't look away.

I thought you guys just liked me. :smallfrown:

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-01-07, 10:35 PM
Like many here, I, too, generally post as I speak, which is to say, eloquently, loquaciously, and making good use of a quite extensive vocabulary. I, too, tend to be excessively picky when it comes to use of punctuation, spelling, and grammar; I have found that I am exceedingly fond of the semicolon, and tend to use it a lot in writing, to the extent that I have to edit my posts to even things out a bit.

Unlike some here, I vastly prefer use of stylistic elements like bolding and italics in preference to USING CAPS; capitals are inelegant, I find, and don't quite convey the right emphasis. Like Sneak, I preface my edits with EDIT: to make clear what was edited. Also, like Balford, I tend to preview my posts a lot to rewrite and change things (though I rarely correct things, as I can't remember the last time I made a spelling or grammar error that I did not immediately catch (and without the Firefox spell-checker's assistance, at that (I also like nested parentheses, can you tell? (I think it comes from being a computer programmer (yay recursion and functional programming!))))). Furthermore, like Eldan, I tend to prefer long, pedantic, complicated sentences, twisting and turning with elaborate explanation and metaphor. Sadly, I have found that some people don't appreciate these quirks of mine; I don't mind, and have no intention of changing my style to suit them, but it's good to know. Finally, it has also come to my attention that I tend towards using the "introductory clause, independent clause" sentence structure overmuch, particularly when running PbP games where the most efficient descriptions of simultaneous action are of the form "As X does Y, Z proceeds to W."

I've also noticed that I like long and dense paragraphs.

My long and winding posts tend to include plenty of quotations for clarity of reference, such as the following:

Would you be offended if I bit your head off next you do that? The answer is no. No you would not. Because I would be digesting your brain. Caps kill people.

Edit: Never mind, there we go. I tend to resolve annoyances with decapitation. Isn't it so quirky?

DeCAPitation is certainly the appropriate punishment in this instance. :smallwink:

Additionally, I use plenty of humor, and thusly plenty of the :smallwink: and :smallamused: emoticons, since sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet.

ghost_warlock
My avatar should tell you all you need to know.

Elfin
Utterly meaningless drivel passed off as comedy gold.

Sneak
2011-01-07, 10:50 PM
I am also almost always sarcastic.

I also almost never use smilies.

Makes it too easy.

druid91
2011-01-07, 10:53 PM
My speech will lead you to madness just as surely as lord Cthulhu himself would.

If you take the time to think on it.... Kadishtu?:smallamused:

Em Blackleaf
2011-01-07, 11:01 PM
I type kinda how I talk... with much more restraint placed on saying the word "like".

Uh, I make a new paragraph for every new topic.

I usually write medium-to-large sized posts, which is actually not really how I talk at all (I don't talk very much). This post is actually really short compared to a regular post.

Oh! And I use lots and lots of smilies because if I'm being silly, I have to prove it with this smiley: :smalltongue:

averagejoe
2011-01-07, 11:03 PM
I am also almost always sarcastic.

I think you're being sarcastic.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-07, 11:10 PM
In a nutshell, my posts try and fail at being Sneakposts.

I make up words a lot. Like Sneakposts.

That's an awesome word, by the way. Say it out loud a few times. "Sneakposts. Sneakposts, sneaposts sneakposts." A good word.

Anyhow, my thoughts on ALLCAPS and intentional grammar mistakes. As PairO'Dice mentioned, they are inelegant. I'm perfectly okay with this, to be frank. I don't speak elegantly, there's nothing particularly elegant about what I have to say, and seeing as any kind of emphasis is meant to add, well, emotional emphasis, whichever method of emphasis used speaks a lot to the person using it. I find ALLCAPS placed on one word here or there to be smoother, more natural than italics or especially bolding, and I have further thoughts about sentance structure, writing conventions, and other such trivialities. But for the sake of not derailing the thread too much, I'll keep it brief. If I want to get an idea across, and the most effective way to do that is by breaking a rule or two, who's to say I shouldn't do that?

Science Officer
2011-01-07, 11:28 PM
Think about a topic, come up with some thoughts of my own, log on, type up a post, decide that it doesn't really add anything to the topic, delete post, log off.

Works all right.

Remmirath
2011-01-07, 11:32 PM
As many others, I tend to write like I speak - to some degree. Despite the fact that I don't post terribly frequently, I do in fact post more than I talk.

Things that I notice that I do... I strive for correct punctuation, grammar, and spelling - but am aware that I'm not the best at it (although I occasionally develop delusions to the contrary. Oh, and I also tend to elaborate on things I've said in parentheses, particularly if I think something I've said isn't clear). I always check my posts over at least once, but that doesn't mean I find every mistake I make.

I tend to make longer posts rather than shorter posts.

I use the smiley faces if I think what I'm saying might be misconstrued, or if I think it's looking as though I'm being far too serious compared to what the discussion warrants.

Typically for emphasis I use italics. I use boldface for things such as headers. If I ever wanted to convey that I was shouting, I would probably use all capitals - but to my memory I never have, and I tend to dislike how that looks.

I also will fairly frequently type up a reply to something and then decide for whatever reason that there's no point in actually going through with it, but that isn't so much posting style as an absence of posting.

Sneak
2011-01-08, 12:07 AM
I think you're being sarcastic.

I'm never sarcastic.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-08, 12:09 AM
Oh, what tangled webs we weave. :smallsigh:

averagejoe
2011-01-08, 12:10 AM
I'm never sarcastic.

I believe you.

Roland St. Jude
2011-01-08, 12:11 AM
I'm never sarcastic.

I believe you.
You guys amuse me.

absolmorph
2011-01-08, 02:47 AM
I type with many of the idiosyncracies of my actual speech. For example, I use "y'all", "gonna", "dunno", "'kay" and such odd words when I talk. I also tend to post a lot about whatever games I'm playing at the time (Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, Minecraft and Pokemon, at the moment).
Also, lots of jokes and attempts at snarky comments and puns and kind-of-run-on-sentences.

EndlessWrath
2011-01-08, 03:36 AM

This...this made my day..

Also.. I tend to put a signature despite having one every time I post. I tend to be posting in topics that reach general discussions that I can help or look for help on.. whether a game or life issue or whatever..Other than that whatever Topic title catches my eye or lets me learn about people since I have a fascination with who different people can be and how many different views on a topic one can have.

-Wrath

Derjuin
2011-01-08, 03:43 AM
Depends on my mood - it'll either be longwinded with many commas, semicolons and parentheses, made up words and forgotten hyphens, lacking punctuation at the very end, yet punctuated with a face of some sort; or it'll be in the manner of a certain character I like, but that would probably earn some form of moderator intervention for typing like a troll :smalltongue:

I also (usually) use lots of iffy words (perhaps, maybe, somewhat, usually, etc) and smiley faces of varying form.

I also edit a lot, without specifying what has been edited in. :smallredface: Probably a habit worth breaking

Strawberries
2011-01-08, 03:48 AM
I have a habit of put a lot of smilies in my post.
I guess I miss the aid of facial expression in communicating, and try to compensate with smilies. :smallsmile:

Also, I use italics for emphasis.

Also also, I tend to start new paragraphes with the word "also" :smalltongue:

Elder Tsofu
2011-01-08, 06:23 AM
I'm usually not serious, and often use quite a few smilies in those posts.
I think that when I give advice I'm always stepping close to the line of, as Mr. Sarcella (?) put it in Masquerade; "He confuses being bluff and honest with just being rude". So I usually weigh my words there, its a delicate matter.

I don't think I ever use all-caps to get my point across, if you can't pick it up in italics, or possibly bold, then you don't deserve to. :smallsmile:
(And it tend to look like a shouting match when people begin with the all-caps)
Oh, and sometimes I write in white text, like now. And also use smaller size on the lettering - something that rubbed of from Trixie.

Quincunx
2011-01-08, 08:16 AM
When it comes to the choice of imperfectly communicating with a thousand readers or speaking precisely to one, I pick the latter. I'm told "and it shows".

Mauve Shirt
2011-01-08, 08:40 AM
All of my posts are filled with bees. Also white text.
Also I press enter after almost every sentence if they are not directly related to each other.
Also I put spaces after the last sentence even though it doesn't need it 'cause there's not sentence after it.

Teddy
2011-01-08, 09:22 AM
When it comes to the choice of imperfectly communicating with a thousand readers or speaking precisely to one, I pick the latter. I'm told "and it shows".

Does oneself count as a reader? :smallwink:

On the topic of emphasises, I generally alternate between bold and italic as strikes my fancy, often using both in the same post without thinking too much about how to differentiate between them. The only case in which I use ALLCAPS is when I literally would shout out the word/sentence. I never use underlining as I think it looks ugly without adding what I want to the emphasised word/sentence.

This post might be an exception to my ordinary writing rules. :smalltongue:

Elder Tsofu
2011-01-08, 09:30 AM
This post might be an exception to my ordinary writing rules. :smalltongue:

What's a rule without exceptions? :smalltongue:

And underlining is for when people have a hard time reading, its down there in the pit with all-caps in my opinion. (as it seem to be used far too much by people who misses the point of a point towards their original point and therefore assume that the poster of said point didn't understand the point of the point when in reality the underlining pointer missed the point of the second point)

@V Don't make me use underlining at you. :-P

Strawberries
2011-01-08, 10:26 AM
s it seem to be used far too much by people who misses the point of a point towards their original point and therefore assume that the poster of said point didn't understand the point of the point when in reality the underlining pointer missed the point of the second point

Wait.

What? :smallconfused::smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2011-01-08, 11:38 AM
Lots of snarkasms. Underuse of smilies to indicate said snarkasms. And an unfortunate tendency to ramble on about cats.

Orzel
2011-01-08, 12:23 PM
Wow!

I thought I was one of the few people who did the spacing thing.

Maybe I am not so diffferent after all.

Or maybe I have become one of you. Nah, I've been doing this for over a decade.

SDF
2011-01-08, 12:36 PM
It's a lot like this.

Volthawk
2011-01-08, 12:40 PM
I'm usually quite brief, unless I suddenly get some good ideas. Then I ramble on.

Knaight
2011-01-08, 01:27 PM
I find that there is extremely high variance in my posting style, stemming from several factors that consistently alter individual posts to some extent or other. A proclivity towards argument largely dictates length; many posts are very concise, with argumentative posts displaying dramatically increased word counts. Furthermore, there is the matter of two conflicting sources regarding diction, one of which is a highly academic background, the other an appreciation for conversational shorthand. As such, my diction and grammar vary wildly depending on the pull of those sources as relates to the topic at hand. It may also have some bearing upon italicization and bolding, though I use those primarily in formatting -what little I've done on the homebrew forum for instance- and titles. What this all comes down to is an eclectic melange of what is best described as high and low English*. Its an obnoxious style that I'm sure nobody -including myself- has any appreciation for, but it is what it is.

*Low English is somewhat underrepresented on this forum relative to some others, largely because of profanity being more liable to enter a mostly High English statement than other Low English.

The Rose Dragon
2011-01-08, 02:07 PM
Well, I tend to start posts with "Well,". Also paragraphs. Well, also new sentences. I could edit them out, but I don't wanna.

I tend to start new paragraphs often.

Sometimes even after a single sentence, if I feel the sentence needs emphasis.

I tend to use smileys rarely. Even when I'm being sarcastic, I tend to expect people to see it based on the content, and get mad when they don't. It's like tone and expressions don't translate well into text.

I also tend to use the phrase "I tend to" often. Also "I". That is a word I often use. People say I'm a megalomaniac. Me, I call myself "aficionado of fine gentlemen called Khan".

The Succubus
2011-01-08, 02:11 PM

Roland's style of posting strikes me as Dickensian. In particular, the scene in Christmas Carol as the ghost of Marley, where Scrooge hears the rattling of chains and padlocks, combined with a sense of impending dread.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-08, 02:20 PM
I write in long paragraphs without break that I then separate after I see what it looks like, i.e. editing it. I like to be memorable, quotable, give a good laugh. I quote semi-obscure references, and sprinkle what I imagine is formal sounding language with silly slang young and old. I enjoy writing a good Sir Patrick Stewart speech, hopeful and (I think) poetic. On new baby threads, it amuses me to address the new member of humanity with my congratulations. Use of three examples or synonyms helps reinforce a point in my opinion, gives a post a great beat.
Oh, and I like to say things are in my opinion, often humbly, to soften the blow of my opinionated verbosity.
I really like the community here, and you are all good people. Even you.

averagejoe
2011-01-08, 05:33 PM
You guys amuse me.

Now I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. :smallfrown:

Quincunx
2011-01-08, 06:09 PM
We'll just see if it passes the sniff test for sarcasm.
(sniffs)
Alright, which one of you jackanapes sprayed Axe in the sniff tester??? :smallfurious:

Eldan
2011-01-08, 06:11 PM
:thog: thog like axe. axe make thog feel manly. also, thog think thog's post very ey-low-cuwent

Thufir
2011-01-08, 06:20 PM
Mr. Sarcella (?)

Salzella is not quite long enough for the minimum character limit.

averagejoe
2011-01-08, 08:19 PM
(sniffs)
Alright, which one of you jackanapes sprayed Axe in the sniff tester??? :smallfurious:

This is very silly.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-08, 08:23 PM
I don't know.
Hey guys, do I have a posting style? I don't really notice that kind of thing.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-08, 08:27 PM
(sniffs)

*slips can of axe into someones jacket pocket*

Haruki-kun
2011-01-08, 09:00 PM
Now I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. :smallfrown:

For what it's worth, you amuse me. :smallsmile:

On the topic of how I write, I really don't know. I tend to use a lot of adverbs and... lots of ellipses. And I avoid absolutes, apparently.

Generally speaking I try to write coherent grammar.

Perenelle
2011-01-08, 09:58 PM
Well, I think I post more the way I think than the way I speak. So because of that I think my posts can be a little scatterbrained at times. I use italics more than bold or caps.. I don't really like to use caps at all actually, I feel like i'm yelling.

I have to restrain myself from using a lot of ellipses.

I also separate topics when i'm replying to peoples posts by putting them on different lines. I think they make more sense when separated, and that way I can address each individual topic separately. Other times I make new new paragraphs just because I think its easier to look at or it makes more sense.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-08, 10:04 PM
Guys, I figured out why I like ALLCAPS. It's because I yell a lot. O:

Also, recently, I've prefered the :3 sort of smiley to the :smalltongue: kind. Dunno why.

Perenelle
2011-01-08, 10:07 PM

Also, recently, I've prefered the :3 sort of smiley to the :smalltongue: kind. Dunno why.

People who type in all caps kinda scare me. :smalltongue:

Oh, that reminds me. I normally use a lot of smilies to clarify my emotions. =P But after I see my posts filled with smilies I feel bad and go back and delete some. :smalltongue:

Sneak
2011-01-08, 10:19 PM
I've never quite understood the :3 smiley. Is it supposed to be a dude with a Dalí mustache or a cat or what?

And as long as I'm asking stupid and irrelevant questions...Moff, is the "I'm With Stupid" on your avatar supposed to be pointing to the poster above you or your own username?

Moff Chumley
2011-01-08, 10:20 PM
I have no idea what it's supposed to represent, but it does whatever it's supposed to do perfectly.

Also, seeing as Kid Kris made it and he and I don't really see eye to eye, it's pointed at my username. At least, that's how he intended it. Really, it depends on who's posting above me.

averagejoe
2011-01-08, 11:26 PM

I've been using caps more lately, but I think I've just been reading too much MS Paint Adventures.

I've never quite understood the :3 smiley. Is it supposed to be a dude with a Dalí mustache or a cat or what?

I've never really gotten it either. I think it's a cat face, and that it's supposed to represent mischievousness.

Jarawara
2011-01-08, 11:41 PM
I always post really long posts.

Coidzor
2011-01-09, 01:11 AM
(sniffs)

Ahh, Axe, pure distilled sarcasm.

And apparently mildly toxic to catgirls.

I just remembered, I have this bad habit of forgetting that I'm in the process of typing out a sentence and then start phrasing things in an alternate way of communicating the thought, occasionally leading to very highly redundant communications.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-09, 01:21 AM
And apparently mildly toxic to catgirls.

It's pretty toxic in general. :smallyuk:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-09, 03:55 AM
My posts vary greatly, going form structured 8 lines blocks of paragraphs to 3 sentences paragraph scattered across.

My speech varies from normal English for casual posts, passing through archaic English for more lighthearted posts. On debates my mannerisms show, mainly my use of complex concepts and words for them as well as my intent on communicating pauses as well as my use of Spanish and German sayings, idioms and sometimes structure, sometimes poorly converted into English . On emotional topics my posts are simpler and more direct.

I hardly use smilies, only when I feel there is an absolute need to communicate an emotion not expressible on text or when I want to make sure people know a post is considered a joke.

On the Arts and Craft I take a rather more consistent approach to posting, my posts are in a closer range, between joking and contributing to the discussion while making puns or joking simultaneously, and I take the multiple three sentence paragraphs approach.

Perenelle
2011-01-09, 01:54 PM

'tis a kitty face, I believe. And I never understood it either, until I started using it. :3 it makes sense now, for some reason. :smalltongue:

It's pretty toxic in general. :smallyuk:

Agreed. :smallyuk:

Orzel
2011-01-09, 02:39 PM
Less talk about smelly Axe
more talk about delicious pizza!

Orzel hearts exclamations!

Steak!
Salmon!
SPINACH!
Steak!
Fried Chicken!

Ohmyani
2011-01-09, 04:26 PM
Funny how I came here for the posting style and discovered the food instead. XD

I tend to break up my sentences often, because I always find reading sentences on top of each other for too long hard to read. And even though I don't do it in real life, I usually have short responses. Nevermind, definitely long responses. xD

A couple years ago I decided to stop being that annoying guy who types bad, and just switched to perfect English as far as I could. Must've been odd for my forums to see, haha

I type really fast, chickenpecking no less, and I'm definitely proud of that. Maybe a bit too proud :smallwink:

I also hate when I'm forced to use smileys I hate, like in Facebook chat, and am a toootal Grammar Nazi. AND DAMN PROUD OF IT! >:C

I just noticed that my humour on here and in chat is usually random outbursts and angry smileys too xD

EDIT: I also read over my post after I've submitted it and make any changes I deem necessary, like when I forget something I meant to say, like this, or if I misspelled a word.

I also tend to have problems spelling misspelled and grammar, ironically enough xD

EDIT2: AXE SUCKS! >:|

Siosilvar
2011-01-10, 05:39 PM
Assuming we're talking about posting style and completely ignoring the rest of the thread...

I'm a big fan of using semicolons (and parentheses); I'm not sure what it is about them, but long and overly-complex sentences (including compound words like overly-complex) are my forte.

My posts always seem long to me until I hit "Submit Reply". That's probably because the posting box is about a third the size of the viewable post area on my computer.
[hr]
What really annoys me is the fact that splitting up text is annoying on a message board. I have a compulsion to hit the enter key twice just because paragraphs separated without a line bug me.

Which causes problems when I actually am trying to separate stuff. Three enter-presses is just not enough visual distinction, and four is a huge gap. So I use the [hr] tag. In just about every post I make.

And then I hit the enter key after it, so it divides on the edit box properly, but it just looks bad in the post... there's just no winning. :smallsigh:
[hr]
Anyway, pizza?

Essie
2011-01-10, 06:00 PM
My posts travel through time from the early 1990s, and are p. gnar for doing so, if you ask me.

Totes heinous.

Drynwyn
2011-01-10, 06:10 PM
I prefer a style with correct grammar, and use italics for my favorite posting maneuver,biting sarcasm

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-01-11, 02:43 PM
When I feel it is necessary to inform others that all debate on any given subject is over, as I am ultimately and inarguably correct, I end my posts with "The Great Veisu has spoken."

Raz_Fox
2011-01-11, 02:53 PM
My posting style depends on how late it is and how serious I'm feeling. When I'm lucid and serious, my posting style tends to be rather baroque, often with very long sentences that never seem to end, probably because this is the way I think - meandering on through the topic instead of using short, snappy sentences that would get the point across just as well.

On the other hand if I'm tired or feeling wacky I tend to use all caps A WHOLE LOT MORE probably because whoops TOO MUCH AWKWARD ZOMBIE AND HIIMDAISY and I find this ramblomatic insane style amusing. SO THERE.

I also either use short, one-two sentence replies or long multi-paragraph dissertations on a subject. It's like you can never shut me up once I've started talking about something, you know?

I've also become a lot more casual about posting since I got onto these forums. Perhaps more civilized, certainly lazier. I sometimes look back at my first PbP games and ask myself, "Why don't I write like this anymore?"

So, yeah. That's the way I post. It is what it is (until next year when my entire stance on writing will probably be CHANGED FOREVER because that's part of being a teenager). It's fun, usually.