PDA

View Full Version : Power your life with someone else's

WarKitty
2011-01-08, 12:53 AM
I need a spell or method of using someone else's life years to power your own. The effect should be to slow your own aging while increasing their own. Looking for questionable but not outright eeeeeeeeeeeevil methods.

true_shinken
2011-01-08, 01:11 AM
I need a spell or method of using someone else's life years to power your own. The effect should be to slow your own aging while increasing their own. Looking for questionable but not outright eeeeeeeeeeeevil methods.

This concept itself is simply evil, no questions asked. :smallwink:

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-08, 01:16 AM
Assuming you're talking about 3.5 here.

Closest thing to this I know of in RAW is the BoVD spell Steal Life, which is very definitely [Evil].

Edit: Oh! Living Zombies from Champions of Ruin are also very good for this. I don't think they're explicitly stated to be evil but on the other hand, Dude.

Runestar
2011-01-08, 01:16 AM
Ensul's soultheft, 9th lv spell, Waterdeep splatbook. Though an evil spell, its user is neutral, and only uses it on villians.

Silva Stormrage
2011-01-08, 01:18 AM
Ya steal life is definitely the spell you want.
I don't have the book on me at the time but I believe you can drain/damage (forgot which one) one ability point away from a target and you gain one year on your life. If you keep on healing their ability drain/damage you can gain unlimited life. Of course you are also keeping a slave for the sole purpose of draining its life so thats pretty evil.

woodenbandman
2011-01-08, 03:10 AM
Necrocarnum? If you kill someone you get more powerful.

WarKitty
2011-01-08, 09:37 AM
Ok a little more context. Metagamewise, it's intended for an elf-human couple that wants to grow old together (PC couple). But I don't want it in-universe to have that explicit purpose. I want it to be something they can consider, but also something that would give them pause.

true_shinken
2011-01-08, 09:54 AM
The simple way for them to do this would be moving to the astral plane.

WarKitty
2011-01-08, 10:06 AM
The simple way for them to do this would be moving to the astral plane.

Doesn't exist in my world. Most planes don't. And I really want it to be an item.

true_shinken
2011-01-08, 10:10 AM
Doesn't exist in my world. Most planes don't. And I really want it to be an item.

Well, many people already presented suitable spells.
Also, just out of curiosity - if there is no astral plane, how does teleportation work in your world?

WarKitty
2011-01-08, 10:13 AM
Well, many people already presented suitable spells.
Also, just out of curiosity - if there is no astral plane, how does teleportation work in your world?

We hadn't worked that out. I sort of assumed the same way teleportation works in most fantasy realms.

Hmmm...now that I think about it, what I wanted specifically was a "you take one year off their life to add one year to yours" type spell. Except I'm not entirely sure how to work it mechanically to get the suitable feel.

true_shinken
2011-01-08, 10:19 AM
We hadn't worked that out. I sort of assumed the same way teleportation works in most fantasy realms.
That would be through the astral plane. :smallamused:
Unless you are not talking about D&D settings. But then again, most non-D&D fantasy novels I'm familiar with don't feature teleportation.

Hmmm...now that I think about it, what I wanted specifically was a "you take one year off their life to add one year to yours" type spell. Except I'm not entirely sure how to work it mechanically to get the suitable feel.
I think this you would need to homebrew.

WarKitty
2011-01-08, 10:25 AM
That would be through the astral plane. :smallamused:
Unless you are not talking about D&D settings. But then again, most non-D&D fantasy novels I'm familiar with don't feature teleportation.

Eh, I'm familiar with it in a lot of places. I think the most common explanation is that you're actually bending space around you so that for a brief moment your start and end points are right next to each other.

I think this you would need to homebrew.

Probably. Was hoping there was something existing already. I'll look up soul theft, but steal life is just too easy to abuse as written.

Gatelover12
2011-01-08, 10:32 AM

So homebrew an item. Make a spell that works /like/ steal life, but requires the person it's being stolen from to be willing. I'm sure some wizard had reason for it.

WarKitty
2011-01-08, 10:36 AM
So homebrew an item. Make a spell that works /like/ steal life, but requires the person it's being stolen from to be willing. I'm sure some wizard had reason for it.

See I explicitly don't want it to be a "must be willing" descriptor. That would remove the whole point of having the item - to give them something that they'd have to think about using.

FelixG
2011-01-08, 10:37 AM
War Kitty:

take the spell Steal Life, put it on a hand slot item, particularly a glove

Have it so it steals a year of their life when the wearer touches someone.

I would say have it usable as a 1/year item or some such.

ALSO: thematically if you want it to be particularly devious, have it age the person touched by a year and revert the wearer by a year so they actively grow younger as they use it but they can see the results of their tampering on the person whos life they steal

Prime32
2011-01-08, 11:44 AM
Does it have to be 1-to-1? Make it a pair of magic wedding rings which slows the aging rate of one wearer to match that of the other, but also reduces their lifespan by a decade or two. For an added effect maybe diseases that affect one affect both, even if one of them is immune to disease.