PDA

View Full Version : First time DM needs a little help please

Burnheart
2011-01-08, 09:01 AM
Okay here's my problem a few days ago i finished my first session of DnD ever and i have hit my first hurdle, i suck at maps, its not my thing and i have to map out a bandit camp for my next session and i haven't got a clue where to start so i'm asking here, can anyone give me some tips to help me get started

Psychonix
2011-01-08, 11:06 AM
Is it a permanent or temporary encampment?

If it's the latter, the camp would be mainly comprised of tents. The defences would not be extensive, a ditch and some stakes perhaps?.

If its the former, consider a few primary structures, some small watch towers, a palisade for defence.

Think about how you would go about defending the camp and design it with that in mind. How many people are using it at any one time? How do the bandits fight? How can the terrain aid in the defence? Things like that.

fizzybobnewt
2011-01-08, 11:14 AM
There is or was an "Anyone need a map?" thread here. You can commission a map.

Burnheart
2011-01-08, 11:34 AM
Definitely a temporary camp with about 30ish peaple + dogs until session 1 anyway:smallbiggrin: Does anyone have a link to the Anyone need a map? thread? i tried searching but it said the following words were to common or to short and weren't included in the search: Anyone. Need. A. Map. :smallannoyed:

DisgruntledDM
2011-01-08, 11:53 AM
somewhere, maybe on a WOTC archive, there's a bunch of maps...try searching D&D maps on google. Unfortunately I can't remember where exactly I found them. One of them IS a camp, too

Burnheart
2011-01-08, 02:37 PM
Right i have got a map drawn up and everything is ready to go on my end for session 2 thank you for your help.