PDA

View Full Version : illusion magic

SamsDisciple
2011-01-08, 11:56 AM
Alright I am in a super powered 3.p campaign and I have a homebrewed class feature that makes my illusions still effective even against true sight but I am looking for some fun things to do with my illusions. I am not really looking for powerful beacause I could easily focus on the weird spell and bump its DC up above 50 but I am looking for other fun stuff. Example of what I would like to do is to get a spell that creates an illusion that makes people think they should be sick or disabled. I can see illusions doing that by creating boils or making your arm invisible so you think it got cut off but I don't know of any actual spells that do it. If there are what are they and do they possibly affect multiple opponents

Kuma Kode
2011-01-08, 12:16 PM
Curse of the Putrid Husk from Book of Vile Darkness is exactly what you described, but it's [Evil]. It tricks the subject into thinking their innards are falling out of them, and if they fail a save, they pass out from the shock and can't be awoken for a while.

Presumably it's a bit cruel to trick people into thinking that, hence the [Evil] descriptor.

bloodtide
2011-01-08, 03:51 PM
Do you have all the Illusion spells available? Such as the Spell Compendium and players Handbook 2? Sure you will never to convert them a bit, but they offer more options.

A fun thing to do with illusions is to enhance what is real. Make a monster covered in flame(and foes will think it's a fire monster and not attack it with fire). Make anything look worse...or weaker then it is in reality.

You can easily fill an area with illusions...people would have a hard time telling the false from the real. And all it takes is one mistake. (''Torg moves 20 feet along the redwood bridge--" ''Oh on my illusionary bridge?" DM-"Oh...no...Torg walks and falls off the cliff'')

Comical illusions can be fun. Often people will ignore a bight pink bunny for example and do something you want. You might even get an annoyed person to chance the pink bunny.

Illusionary force fields are always fun. You can make them think your protected.

graeylin
2011-01-08, 09:03 PM
i always had fun, when the combats would run more than three rounds, with combos of real spells and illusions: cast a fake fireball, a bad illusion perhaps (make it look a little like a fireball, but not perfect). BBEG's save vs it, and realize you are an illusionist. make a big deal about the next one, and toss a real fireball at them. I had a DM once rule that the BBEG's didn't get a reflex save on that one, because they laughed it off, thinking it was another illusion.

Or vice versa: real fireball, then an illusion or two, then a real one.

or, spice up something: programed illusion or so, then produce flame, and make folks think you are tossing fireballs right and left, rather than a small flame ball. Enhance the effects.

That's all fire, but works just as well with searing light, rays, cold, ice, lightning, etc..

nedz
2011-01-08, 09:59 PM
You really need Phantasms
Two examples:
Cone of Dimness Level 3 Phantasm which makes people think its gone dark (status: Blind)
Sensory Deprivation Level 4 Phantasm which cuts all sensory input
(status: Blind, Deaf, etc)
Both from Spc

I'm sure there are more

Then there is always tricks like:
Shadow Conjuration:Stinking cloud etc.

Milo v3
2011-01-09, 01:23 AM
In my current campaign on the first dungeon thier was some Illusion action. Here is a small list of things from that dungeon (With the illusion components):
1. Wall of Fire (Temperature, Touch, Sound, Visual)
2. Wall of Force (Touch, Visual)
3. Locked Door (Visual, touch, Sound)
4. Roof (Visual, Touch) (Great for roof climbers)
5. Walls (Visual, Touch) (Great for thieves)
6. Foes (Visual, Touch, Sound)
7. And more

And for those who check each bridge before you step on them:
Find a bridge that is fine except the middle is broken. Then place a illusion of the broken part as if it was fine. if you do this with touch, visual, sound it gets amazingly funny.

DM: You step into the middle of the bridge and feel the firm wooden planks this makes you very confused.
Player: What? How?
DM: Well... you see the ground coming at you very fast when you look down.