PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companion [Pf]

Mooch
2011-01-08, 01:24 PM
If I take an ape animal companion and at 4th level i can add 1 to its INT score which then gives it a score of 3

Am I then able to give it weapon proficiencies as feats?

I just find the image of a large ape in fullplate wielding a greatsword charging the enemy entertaining

are there any other animals with the ability to wield weapons?

Coidzor
2011-01-08, 05:09 PM
None of the weapon proficiency feats have an intelligence requirement.

So, it only depends upon your DM 1. not taking your animal companion away if it becomes sapient (some will treat them as NPCs who will just leave you and force you to get another animal intelligence animal companion) and 2. your DM letting you train the ape to choose its feat selections before it's intelligent or to retrain the ape's feat selections.

Once it's intelligent though, it should be capable of picking up the feat at its next opportunity if it can't retrain its existing feats.

If that fails, I believe skillful weapons might still be an avenue for you to investigate.

If you use any 3.5 material, Lords of Madness has mouthpick weapons which any creature with a bite attack can put into its mouth and gain proficiency with the weapon (and still treat it as being wielded 2-handed if it's a 2-handed weapon). Other than that, similarly, Savage Species has some weapons that can be affixed to tails, and Dragon Magazine gave Braid Blades which are affixed to the ends of braids of hair.

I can't really think of any animals that aren't primates that can wield normal weapons.

ajkkjjk52
2011-01-08, 10:48 PM
Oy, that'd have to be up to the GM. If it were me, I'd say no, but I'm not your GM.

That said, every PF druid/ranger/nature domain cleric I've seen always uses the lvl 4 bonus to buff int to 3 so that they can put a point into linguistics so that the companion can understand (but still not speak) common.