PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Octopus Probem

Niezck
2011-01-08, 08:32 PM
So, I have a problem involving a giant octopus.

My problem is that I want my octopus to be able to survive on land, and I'm level 2 so funds are limited (no rings of sustenance or the like to avoid breathing).

So I challenge you, playground, to think up ingenius, low-cost ways of allowing an aquatic animal to breathe!

Doesn't have to be strictly RAW, just so long as it could work in theory and is cheap.

Any ideas?

Roland St. Jude
2011-01-08, 08:40 PM
Stormwrack has an armor property, Gilled, for +7500 gp, which allows aquatic creatures to breath air. Perhaps a bit too pricey, but maybe a cooperative DM would allow a discount.

Amulet of Air Breathing? Again, probably too pricey by RAW, but it's a solution.

OracleofWuffing
2011-01-08, 08:45 PM
So, I have a problem involving a giant octopus.
Don't we all?

My problem is that I want my octopus to be able to survive on land, and I'm level 2 so funds are limited (no rings of sustenance or the like to avoid breathing).
That's... Significantly different than most peoples problems involving giant octopeople.

Surely your octopus could spare a tentacle or two to hold a bucket of water and a sponge? When you get a high enough level, you could fancy it up to a Decanter of Endless Water.

Or, better yet, stick wheels on the bucket, let the octopus drive the tank himself. Buckets can't be that much. A barrel will do, too, just don't remove the cork.

Kyouhen
2011-01-08, 09:38 PM
Isn't there an Amphibious creature template kicking around somewhere? See if your DM will let you stick that on your octopus.

OracleofWuffing
2011-01-08, 09:45 PM
I know of Stormwrack's Amphibious template, and it's looking like a pretty good option as it doesn't add LA. It is, however, up to your DM, as it's for humanoids and monstrous humanoids.

... Octodad?

Rappy
2011-01-08, 09:54 PM
There's the Landwalker template from Tome of Horrors II, but unless you have a spell or something that grants templates, I'm not sure how helpful that would be.

Xyk
2011-01-08, 09:57 PM
I'd go with the classic "large fish bowl on wheels". Have your mule pull it. Now, your octopus will be of no use to anyone that way, unless it's a wizard.

Urpriest
2011-01-08, 10:11 PM
I'd go with the classic "large fish bowl on wheels". Have your mule pull it. Now, your octopus will be of no use to anyone that way, unless it's a wizard.

But come on, why wouldn't it be? They have the Int for it after all. :smallbiggrin:

Is this an ordinary octopus? Is it an animal companion, or can it take class levels?

Pechvarry
2011-01-08, 10:24 PM
Is making it undead on the table?

Greenish
2011-01-08, 10:41 PM
Air Breathing is 3rd level spell on cleric, druid and sorc/wiz lists that lasts for 2 hours per level.

Kyouhen
2011-01-08, 11:47 PM

Wizard? Bah! Your spell components will get all soggy. Go Psion with that feat that lets you shoot your powers through glass. Problem solved. :smalltongue:

OracleofWuffing
2011-01-09, 12:30 AM
This is just some napkin logic, but I really don't think the tank should inhibit non-wizard, non-psionic attack ability.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2866/octotank.png

Just as long as the wheels have spinners on them, so that the wheels keep spinning even when the vehicle has stopped, you should be sat.

The fun part? By RAW, I do believe that the octopus can still even use it's ink cloud effectively!

RandomLunatic
2011-01-09, 01:11 AM
The fun part? By RAW, I do believe that the octopus can still even use it's ink cloud effectively!

I would like to point out that you would need to change the water or the octpus will die.

No, really.

Gavinfoxx
2011-01-09, 01:14 AM
You need to play a RPG called "World Tree"!

Giant, air-floating, club wielding, smack-talking octopodes are one of the *player races*!

OracleofWuffing
2011-01-09, 11:48 AM
I would like to point out that you would need to change the water or the octpus will die.

No, really.

Eh, for the first couple of levels or so, then you stick a few elementals in there and they can do it for you. Or, better yet, make some artificier friends...

Edit: Actually, Prestidigitation can clean out the water, no problem. :smallbiggrin:

Octopus Jack
2011-01-09, 12:03 PM
I second the giant fish bowl idea, shouldn't be too expensive.

Though may I point out that there is a type of Octopus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest_tree_octopus) that can live on land and so why not make your octopus a Tree Octopus?

The Pacific Northwest tree octopus is definitly a real animal, just as real as the mountain walrus.