PDA

View Full Version : [Table top] The meta game

TalonDemonKing
2011-01-08, 09:50 PM
Hello Playground,

Playing Dnd 1st edition adv., while were waiting on players to act, we're discussing an idea.

What if we made a game to lap over any table top game? Specifically, players get a class, and class abilities, then get play a dnd or gurps game. For example, a player could be a cheater class, then an ability could be that once per day, that player can ignore one rule.

Thoughts?

Accersitus
2011-01-08, 10:08 PM
Cheater class would be way too powerful. Ignoring the right rule would be totally game breaking.

TalonDemonKing
2011-01-08, 10:14 PM
True, but a DM could get his own class. Might be a fun idea to explore

Besides, that was just an example

Stevielash
2011-01-08, 10:22 PM
I actually think thats a pretty cool idea, but some reason I imagine it working better with gurps as an bought advantage that scales with points to the level of rule you can break/how many times per day.

ajkkjjk52
2011-01-08, 11:05 PM
That's one idea. What other class ideas do you have?

Alternately, the meta need not itself be a roleplaying game. It could be a collectible card game, with cards allowing powers such as rerolls or not chipping in for pizza or whatever which come in booster packs from the GM for good roleplaying. Something like that might give a little more diversity rather than each player having the same one ability each session. And it would prevent any one overpowered metaability from imbalancing the game.

Ytaker
2011-01-08, 11:09 PM
For a cheater class, it would be better if they could tweak dice (you need over an 8 to survive. I got a 6 err, I mean a 9) for the early levels. The ability to ignore a rule should be higher level. It's use would be triggered by a distraction on the table. If you tied abilities to events on the table it would be more immersive.

Salanmander
2011-01-08, 11:48 PM
I can see this being an interesting re-structuring of the action point concept. Like, use the collectible card power things, and give each one a "casting cost" in points. Then give each player a certain number of points each game.

Some ideas that spring to mind, thinking ~5 points per session:

1: cards cost you 1 less point this session
2: cards cost your entire party 1 less point this session
1: re-roll one die
4: prevent character death

JonestheSpy
2011-01-08, 11:49 PM
Hmm, this sounds familiar...

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/tabletop_roleplaying.png