PDA

View Full Version : Best Druid Utility Spell

Rasman
2011-01-09, 04:32 AM
I've been thinking that I don't bring enough Utility to the party, I've sort of fallen back into a Utility type role as of late as well as becoming a bit of a blaster with Splinter Bolt out the Ying Yang.

In your opinion, Playgrounders, what are the best "it would be nice if I had that right now" utility spells for Druids?

Gnorman
2011-01-09, 08:34 AM
Awaken. What could be more versatile than adding a party member?

Well, with a 24 hour casting time, it's not exactly a "right now" spell...

Jack_Simth
2011-01-09, 10:52 AM
I've been thinking that I don't bring enough Utility to the party, I've sort of fallen back into a Utility type role as of late as well as becoming a bit of a blaster with Splinter Bolt out the Ying Yang.

In your opinion, Playgrounders, what are the best "it would be nice if I had that right now" utility spells for Druids?
Spider Climb, Stone Shape, Reduce Animal (if you have an oversized animal companion), Spike Growth, Air Walk, Scrying, Freedom of Movement, Spike Stones, Death Ward, Wall of Thorns, Antilife Shell, Stone Tell, and so on. Really, just browse the Druid spell list.

Like most spells, they'll be situational (well, except for Shapechange...), but they're most assuredly there.

Ferrin
2011-01-09, 11:25 AM
Spider Climb, Stone Shape, Reduce Animal (if you have an oversized animal companion), Spike Growth, Air Walk, Scrying, Freedom of Movement, Spike Stones, Death Ward, Wall of Thorns, Antilife Shell, Stone Tell, and so on. Really, just browse the Druid spell list.

Like most spells, they'll be situational (well, except for Shapechange...), but they're most assuredly there.

Aside from Stone Shape those aren't really utility spells, more like spells for specific situations which are useless in most other circumstances.

A cool spell is Animate Wood, why you ask? Animate a torch and let it walk to the orc encampment, close a door from a range, spook people out with moving chairs, spring traps, other uses with... small moving objects, use your imagination.

Another nice spell is Warp Wood, destroying transportation, doors and ranged weapons.

Wall of stone is also pretty cool.

Psyren
2011-01-09, 11:29 AM
Vine Mine from Spell Compendium has lots of uses, and is only 3rd-level.

Techsmart
2011-01-09, 11:45 AM
If you are not a high enough level for stone shape, soften earth and stone is usually pretty helpful. In combat, its good field control ( can be used to separate ranged pcs from the enemy). Outside of combat, it can still break through stone walls.

nedz
2011-01-09, 12:03 PM
Summon Nature's Ally surely:
Need a meat shield: summon a bear
Want to persue/distract some enemies: summon a fast critter
Facing a flying enemy: summon a flying critter
Facing a swimming enemy: summon a swimming critter
Need a mount: summon one
Want to take out a Web: summon a fire elemental
Need some healing: summon some unicorns
Someone got poisoned: summon some unicorns

Jack_Simth
2011-01-09, 01:03 PM
Aside from Stone Shape those aren't really utility spells, more like spells for specific situations which are useless in most other circumstances.Define utility then, please.

Achernar
2011-01-09, 01:20 PM
Summon Nature's Ally surely:
Need a meat shield: summon a bear
Want to persue/distract some enemies: summon a fast critter
Facing a flying enemy: summon a flying critter
Facing a swimming enemy: summon a swimming critter
Need a mount: summon one
Want to take out a Web: summon a fire elemental
Need some healing: summon some unicorns
Someone got poisoned: summon some unicorns

Want to neutralize an angry skeletal hydra? Summon a Thoccqua. "A taste of magma in every bite!" (TM)

This is from personal experience. Utility comes from battlefield control and summoning. Entangle is a cheap and fun way of making a big impact., some days I wonder why it's a 1st-level spell. :smallbiggrin:

Ferrin
2011-01-09, 01:23 PM
Define utility then, please.

Spells which are useful in various circumstances.

Jack_Simth
2011-01-09, 01:28 PM
Spells which are useful in various circumstances.So Knock is not a utility spell, as all it can do is open stuff, then? Meanwhile, Shout is a utility spell, because it can be used to hurt things, open doors, and hamper casters?

I'm afraid I don't agree with your definition of a utility spell.

Ferrin
2011-01-09, 01:33 PM
So Knock is not a utility spell, as all it can do is open stuff, then? Meanwhile, Shout is a utility spell, because it can be used to hurt things, open doors, and hamper casters?

I'm afraid I don't agree with your definition of a utility spell.

Yes, that's how I define utility spells. But that just means we were thinking of different things with the same word. :smallbiggrin:

Saph
2011-01-09, 01:41 PM
Stone Shape is my personal favourite, especially if you go dungeoncrawling a lot. If you spend more time on the surface, Wood Shape is almost as good.

Zaq
2011-01-09, 01:49 PM
I agree that (Greater) Stone Shape is amazing.

One of my favorite parts of Stone Shape is this line:

Stone Shape
Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Clr 3, Drd 3, Earth 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Stone or stone object touched, up to 10 cu. ft. + 1 cu. ft./level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You can form an existing piece of stone into any shape that suits your purpose. While it’s possible to make crude coffers, doors, and so forth with stone shape, fine detail isn’t possible. There is a 30% chance that any shape including moving parts simply doesn’t work.
Arcane Material Component

Soft clay, which must be worked into roughly the desired shape of the stone object and then touched to the stone while the verbal component is uttered.

Which means, of course, that there's a 70% chance of your moving parts working perfectly. Want some stone skateboards, stone pulleys, or anything like that? 70% chance of success with one casting, 91% chance of success with two castings, and (if you're dedicated) 97.3% chance of success with three castings.

Also, Wall of Stone is amazing, Bones of the Earth (PHB2) is great for turning your campsite into a mini-dungeon, and while it's more of a buff than a utility spell, Essence of the Raptor (SpC) is often completely overlooked but provides some nice benefits.

Ferrin
2011-01-09, 01:58 PM

Which means, of course, that there's a 70% chance of your moving parts working perfectly. Want some stone skateboards, stone pulleys, or anything like that? 70% chance of success with one casting, 91% chance of success with two castings, and (if you're dedicated) 97.3% chance of success with three castings.

Also, Wall of Stone is amazing, Bones of the Earth (PHB2) is great for turning your campsite into a mini-dungeon, and while it's more of a buff than a utility spell, Essence of the Raptor (SpC) is often completely overlooked but provides some nice benefits.

I agree with everything you just said, also lets you make orphanages real easy, which can't burn. :smallbiggrin:

Dead_Jester
2011-01-09, 03:55 PM
I'd have to say Shapechange, just because it let's you do pretty much anything (and, if your smart, let's you refresh it).

That aside, I'd have to agree with others and say the stone shape line, because it can stop any mechanical trap in an environment with stone and because it is just awesome when you manage to entomb people with it.

Rasman
2011-01-09, 06:37 PM
Aside from Stone Shape those aren't really utility spells, more like spells for specific situations which are useless in most other circumstances.

A cool spell is Animate Wood, why you ask? Animate a torch and let it walk to the orc encampment, close a door from a range, spook people out with moving chairs, spring traps, other uses with... small moving objects, use your imagination.

Another nice spell is Warp Wood, destroying transportation, doors and ranged weapons.

Wall of stone is also pretty cool.

hmm...what level spell is Animate Wood?

Vine Mine from Spell Compendium has lots of uses, and is only 3rd-level.

I actually looked at it, but I wasn't sure of how well it would scale at higher levels. I did like that if something that was Helpless that it didn't get strength checks or anything like that to escape, only Escape Artist checks, but it would have to be continually cast over long periods to be made effective.

Stone Shape is my personal favourite, especially if you go dungeoncrawling a lot. If you spend more time on the surface, Wood Shape is almost as good.

I'd have to say Shapechange, just because it let's you do pretty much anything (and, if your smart, let's you refresh it).

That aside, I'd have to agree with others and say the stone shape line, because it can stop any mechanical trap in an environment with stone and because it is just awesome when you manage to entomb people with it.

Well, I think you all have convinced me on Stoneshape. Especially the Entombing part. A Shackled, Gagged Mage can't do much when he gets Edger Allen Poed......

ShriekingDrake
2011-01-28, 10:31 AM
There are SO many good druid utility spells. Some have been mentioned here. Were there specific types of circumstances you were thinking of?