PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cool chain weapon.

AustontheGreat1
2011-01-09, 05:34 AM
Okay, so I am looking to buy a magic weapon. My character is level 3 but he is paying half of the cost in cash and the other half he is performing a task for. So he basically has roughly 8000 gp to spend on his new spiked chain. While I could just buy a typical +2 Spiked Chain, or a +1 with a standard special property; I thought I would come and check to see if there are any neat flavorful chain related weapons within my price range. The game is 3.5 and the setting is Forgotten Realms so anything from a 3.5 supplement would be acceptable, and anything that comes directly from a Forgotten Realms supplement would be even cooler.

The character is a Human Shadow Walker Swordsage who plans to eventually take Teflammar Shadow Lord, so anything with a Dark or Shadow theme would fit well.

poignant123
2011-01-09, 08:34 AM
Kusarigama is in the DMG (not the SRD). Like the chain but a light weapon.

Savage Species also had a chain weapon that dealt 2d6 I think. It also had an awesome shirt that could attack by itself using chains.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-01-09, 10:40 AM
+1 Spiked Chain. However, there's not many good +1 equivelant enhancements. If you can save it up, go for either Wounding (con damage per hit) or Collision (flat +5 damage per hit)

Ksheep
2011-01-09, 12:30 PM
If you'd like a cool chain weapon, you could forge it out of blue ice.
*RIMSHOT*

But seriously, I'd say sticking with spiked chain would be best. As for the dark and/or shadow theme… can't think of any at the moment, at least none with only a +1 cost.

mabriss lethe
2011-01-09, 01:35 PM
There's always the Smoking enhancement....from....MiC, I believe. Gives you concealment and adds a minor debuff to anyone who gets close.

Martial discipline weapons are pretty good if there's a stance or particular school you favor over others. Meshes very well with power attack.

Ozymandias
2011-01-09, 01:51 PM
There's always the Smoking enhancement....from....MiC, I believe. Gives you concealment and adds a minor debuff to anyone who gets close.

Yeah, but what does the Surgeon General say about smoking chains?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Darrin
2011-01-10, 08:25 AM
Kusarigama is in the DMG (not the SRD). Like the chain but a light weapon.

Drow Scorpion Chain (Races of Eberron, Secrets of Xendrik) has about the same stats as the Kusari Gama, but a better crit range: 1d6, 19-20/x2.

Spinning Sword (Secrets of Sarlona) also has similar stats, and is pretty much required if you're doing any kind of "I saw this in Soul Calibur!" build.

Savage Species also had a chain weapon that dealt 2d6 I think. It also had an awesome shirt that could attack by itself using chains.

The Barbed Chain does 2d6 damage, but doesn't have reach. Essentially an exotic greatsword that does bludgeoning and piercing damage.

The Chain Lash (also called just a Chain in Oriental Adventures) is similar to the Spiked Chain (10' reach, attack adjacent), except it does only 1d6 bludgeoning damage, and it can also be used as a double-weapon.

Greenish
2011-01-10, 09:01 AM
There's always the Smoking enhancement....from....MiC, I believe.Lords of Darkness, actually.

MIC has Swirling, though I forget whether that was +1 or +2.

There's Shadow Hand from ToB, but that does diddly-squat without swordsage levels.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-10, 09:06 AM
Okay, so I am looking to buy a magic weapon. My character is level 3 but he is paying half of the cost in cash and the other half he is performing a task for. So he basically has roughly 8000 gp to spend on his new spiked chain. While I could just buy a typical +2 Spiked Chain, or a +1 with a standard special property; I thought I would come and check to see if there are any neat flavorful chain related weapons within my price range. The game is 3.5 and the setting is Forgotten Realms so anything from a 3.5 supplement would be acceptable, and anything that comes directly from a Forgotten Realms supplement would be even cooler.

The character is a Human Shadow Walker Swordsage who plans to eventually take Teflammar Shadow Lord, so anything with a Dark or Shadow theme would fit well.

Lords of Darkness, actually.

MIC has Swirling, though I forget whether that was +1 or +2.

There's Shadow Hand from ToB, but that does diddly-squat without swordsage levels.

Thought I should mention that:smallamused:

Still I second either shadow hand or smoking.

Greenish
2011-01-10, 09:09 AM
Thought I should mention that:smallamused::smallsigh:

Yeah, I think I'll go to bed now.

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-10, 11:28 AM
A +1 Shadow Hand spiked chain may not be very shadow-y, but you'll hit more often. A lot more often.

Personally I don't like Smoking weapons. How is a chain supposed to be Smoking? Magic is weird.

AyeGill
2011-01-10, 11:37 AM
A +1 Shadow Hand spiked chain may not be very shadow-y, but you'll hit more often. A lot more often.

Personally I don't like Smoking weapons. How is a chain supposed to be Smoking? Magic is weird.

Do you know the best thing about magic?

No?

Everything (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/01/31/episode-1089-special-delivery/)

Keld Denar
2011-01-10, 11:45 AM
Whirling is a +1 equiv. 3/day Whirlwind Attacks without taking 4 feats, dousing them with gasoline, and lighting them on fire. Relying on WWA as your primary attack mode is a good way to get dead, but sometimes its really nice when you find yourself in such a situation to get lots of attacks.

A SH weapon would probably be stronger, but Whirling is kinda cool.

Vicious would be true to form with the Spiked Chain graphic in the PHB. I don't understand how anyone can use that thing without shredding themselves, and Vicious reflects this!

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-10, 02:56 PM
Do you know the best thing about magic?

No?

Everything (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/01/31/episode-1089-special-delivery/)

Now THAT'S weird.

the 1,000,000 arrows of course, not the Gate.

@ Keld: Some once said that spiked chains were the favored weapon of Goob, god of self-inflicted head wounds. He was right:smallcool:

AyeGill
2011-01-10, 02:59 PM
That isn't weird, it's just a Gate spell. With a sprinkle of creativity. From the DM.

Apart from the fact that, you know. The gate is linking two point on the same plane. and the arrows are contained in stasis until Ranger's wife opens the letter. And then the rest of the arrows are contained until Ranger opens the fridge.

You can't do that with a gate spell.

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-10, 03:02 PM
You can't do that with a gate spell.

Then what is it? Is it an endless combo of spells 1st to 9th level? Is it divine intervention?

No. It is weird:smallbiggrin:

AyeGill
2011-01-10, 03:05 PM
Then what is it? Is it an endless combo of spells 1st to 9th level? Is it divine intervention?

No. It is weird:smallbiggrin:

It is Awesome:smallcool: