PDA

View Full Version : War Mind Initiator

Elric VIII
2011-01-09, 10:28 AM
War Mind gets an ability called Sweeping Strike. This ability allows him to affect two threatened foes with one attack equally. Can this be used with maneuvers to apply one maneuver's effect to two foes?

Pechvarry
2011-01-09, 11:03 AM
Apparently, yes. Check out the Iron Chef Optimization challenge from when they did Warmind. A few people used this trick.

Psyren
2011-01-09, 11:09 AM
1) It's "War Mind" actually (two words.)

2) I'm not so sure; maneuvers aren't actually attacks. Some of them (typically strikes) include an attack as part of their action; I'd say it's a DM call whether that attack can then be combined with SS.

Vangor
2011-01-09, 11:24 AM
Seems likely provided the maneuver includes an attack action, which many do. To my knowledge, all maneuvers which include attack actions trigger anything which would trigger off of an ordinary attack. For instance, from the Desert Wind discipline the strike Death Mark has an attack action and would utilize Sweeping Strike, whereas the strike Blistering Flourish has no attack action and would not.

Ernir
2011-01-09, 12:52 PM
It's not explicit in the description of the ability, but the "A war mind can use this ability on any attack" language is pretty permissive.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to plug my own homebrew relating to this, which you can find in my sig. :smalltongue:

Elric VIII
2011-01-09, 08:22 PM
It's not explicit in the description of the ability, but the "A war mind can use this ability on any attack" language is pretty permissive.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to plug my own homebrew relating to this, which you can find in my sig. :smalltongue:

I really like that class. I'm going to try to use it sometime for myself(this is for a character I'm designing for someone else so I want to stick to something simple). Although, looking at your notes for the reason of revision I am somewhat inclined to agree. I don't suppose you could make a recommendation for a different PrC to use (I am rather uninitated in psionics beyons PsiWar 4 for feats, Expansion, and Psi Lion's Charge)?

Also, I fixed the spelling mistakes in the original. That stuff bothers me too, thanks.

There seems to be some mixed responses regarding the rules on this, so I will pose a different question. For a Crusader 5/War Mind 10/ Crusader +5 would this significantly increase his power level to the point of being OP?

I do not have any particular maneuvers in mind to be used with this, it is just something that I noticed when looking over the class; I am unsure if this would cause any cheese similar to the Imbued Healing/Aura of Chaos.

tyckspoon
2011-01-09, 11:18 PM
There seems to be some mixed responses regarding the rules on this, so I will pose a different question. For a Crusader 5/War Mind 10/ Crusader +5 would this significantly increase his power level to the point of being OP?

At a minimum, it's not gonna be any more powerful than going straight Crusader all the way to 20. The PsyWar powers you get from Warmind are going to be of much more use than Sweeping Strike in most situations; remember it doesn't let you hit any two targets you threaten. It lets you hit two squares adjacent to each other that you threaten. So if the Crusader/Warmind is getting excessive amounts of extra hits out of Sweeping Strike.. stop having your enemies cluster up. Or use Large+ opponents that take up multiple squares, so that the Crusader may not be able to threaten more than one of them at a time at all (admittedly unlikely if taking Expansion with Warmind and using a reach weapon.) Or attack from multiple directions or from range to start with. It's not all that hard to deal with.

Psyren
2011-01-10, 12:01 AM
At a minimum, it's not gonna be any more powerful than going straight Crusader all the way to 20.

That really depends. With proper level ordering, War Minds can learn Metamorphosis; that alone will catapult you some distance beyond Crusader 20, never mind adding in stuff like Synchronicity, Schism, Anticipatory Strike etc. Though not allowing/taking Expanded Knowledge will cut a lot this down.

The Gilded Duke
2011-01-10, 12:33 AM
Also, it is slightly better then attacking two opponents with one swing, it involves attacking two adjacent 5 foot squares. If there are multiple opponents in those squares, you attack them all. I found it worked best with grapple, but there are other uses for it.

Also you might want to check out War Hulk from the miniatures handbook who has a similar ability, although its harder to get into.

Elric VIII
2011-01-10, 10:41 AM
Also, it is slightly better then attacking two opponents with one swing, it involves attacking two adjacent 5 foot squares. If there are multiple opponents in those squares, you attack them all. I found it worked best with grapple, but there are other uses for it.

Also you might want to check out War Hulk from the miniatures handbook who has a similar ability, although its harder to get into.

Well, that class does hit stuff pretty hard, but I'm using War Mind for the psionics and full BAB. This interaction is something I noticed when I decided to actually look at the class's other abilities.

That really depends. With proper level ordering, War Minds can learn Metamorphosis; that alone will catapult you some distance beyond Crusader 20, never mind adding in stuff like Synchronicity, Schism, Anticipatory Strike etc. Though not allowing/taking Expanded Knowledge will cut a lot this down.

Well, I'm not the DM, so I can't say what would be allowed. I do, however, think it would be best to avoid such things in the interest of balance.