PDA

View Full Version : The best feeling ever

grimbold
2011-01-09, 03:21 PM
the best feeling ever in an rpg is saving your friends from sure death. Today i managed to bash a hole in the wall and save our party from drowning in a room that was being filled with water.
so is it just me or is saving your party from sure death a great feeling?

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-09, 03:27 PM
the best feeling ever in an rpg is saving your friends from sure death.I dunno about best feeling ever. :smalltongue: But it's certainly not a bad feeling. :smallsmile:

so is it just me or is saving your party from sure death a great feeling?Then again, it feels pretty good when you've gone and manipulated the entire party, too. :smalltongue:

grimbold
2011-01-09, 03:31 PM
I dunno about best feeling ever. :smalltongue: But it's certainly not a bad feeling. :smallsmile:
Then again, it feels pretty good when you've gone and manipulated the entire party, too. :smalltongue:

fair enough

Dr.Epic
2011-01-09, 03:34 PM
I had a similar experience where the cleric in full plate was drowning and my monk was trying to save them. Unfortunately, I let them go. What? He was a goner anyway. We both didn't need to roll new characters. Besides, he did manage to roll good enough swim checks that he made it out alive. So it all worked out for the best.

And as for the title, no, I'd say the best feeling ever is leveling up and finally entering that on PrC you've been building your whole character around.

true_shinken
2011-01-09, 03:39 PM
I once played a war veteran in a sci-fi game that did at least once every session :smallcool:
God I miss that game.

DisgruntledDM
2011-01-09, 03:59 PM
When you're a DM, it's the exact opposite: Killing the party and making it look like you weren't trying to.

But in all seriousness, yeah, saving the entire party is cool.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-09, 04:13 PM
Mine was more role playing based. Almost through the entire game my character, a paladin of of the Pathfinder sun deity Sarenrae had been courting a harpy. Every time they were in the vicinity of the home base, he would go meet her. When travelling to foreign lands , he would write letters and arrange to have them delivered, even when on another plane of existence. Finally, on the last session, after defeating the big bad, she met me while we were travelling back to town and I knelt in the sand and proposed.
She accepted.
Quickly a wedding was arranged, importing flowers, this was an Arabian style campaign, decorating the temple to Sarenrae we cleaned out of literal hundreds of gnolls and my best man, the party rogue, provided the ring, a +5 ring of protection. The man was a selfish thief, but he did this.
My paladin, Abahul "Abu" Muhuldy, Abbot Protector of Sarenrae, turned down immortality at the side of powerful good being for a single lifetime with the harpy.
And it was the best feeling ever.

Enterti
2011-01-09, 04:40 PM
I think the best feeling as a player comes from the sheer look of horror on your DM's face as you come up with a creative solution to what was supposed to be a difficult encounter.

In my case the DM had sent animated objects after us as we were exploring the residence of an elderly woman who had strangely disappeared. After some rather difficult encounters with a table, chair, and doorknob(little bugger bit me when I was opening the door) we began hearing a loud thumping noise from upstairs. Upon reaching the top we see a bed trying to ram itself through a doorway but failing because the doorway was too narrow. Now after fighting the rest of the objects we proposed an alternate solution by jumping on it. The DM looked confused for a few moments, hesitated, rolled some dice, hesitated some more, and finally thunked his head against the table announcing that under our combined wait the bed broke, further announcing that the bed was intended to be the boss of the encounter and was 2 crs higher than us(lv1 party of 3)

I was most pleased by this

DisgruntledDM
2011-01-09, 04:57 PM
I think the best feeling as a player comes from the sheer look of horror on your DM's face as you come up with a creative solution to what was supposed to be a difficult encounter.

That's why they invented screens, so we can make the "Well, there goes that story" face without anyone seeing.

pwykersotz
2011-01-20, 02:48 PM
I don't know...the best feeling ever for me was causing a TPK against the party when I was mind controlled by a book. No change to my character, but my only mandate was to do my best against them. We are epic level, all around 27. My party was a Rogue/Shadowdancer, a Bard (min/maxed and optimized up the yin-yang), A homebrew insertion of ascension magic class called a Herald, and a tiny metal dragon Warlock. Oh, and we had a level 25 fighter too, he's the new guy.

I was a multiclass sorcerer/Herald. It's not my fault they all fail their will saves. :smallbiggrin:

Fortunately the mind control was temporary and resurrection is just a spell away.

TinselCat
2011-01-20, 04:41 PM
I just had the best feeling ever in my DnD game. I'm a cleric, and was the only one bold enough to try a tumble check across a spike trap. Making it, I landed on a pressure plate and stood still, afraid to move. The rest of the party broke through the spikes and explored the room, while I stood still and gave them advice (a lot of them are really new players). At one point the barbarian finds a box that he can't open. Both rogues fail to pick it, the fighter tries to smash it and takes energy damage. They're determined to get it open.

All I want is for them to go to the far end of the room where I can tumble off the plate and try not to get caught in whatever trap it is. So I tell them "Give me the box and I'll hold onto it until we can get out of this dungeon and get it studied." I talk them around and they relent. There's no way they can get it open.

I take the box, it goes *click* and opens for me. :smallbiggrin:

Inside were a pair of gloves that I could use to aid my healing. Apparently the box would only open for a cleric. (Although the symbol on the box isn't my deity's)

The look on their faces was the best. It's the little things I take joy in.

(And I turns out the pressure plate activated the spike trap, and as long as I stood on it the spikes would remain up. Stepping off made them retract. I was a little chagrined, but I was too happy that the box opened for me to care.)