PDA

View Full Version : Help with sea creatures!

Mystic Muse
2011-01-09, 05:00 PM
My sister came home from a school trip and she decided to bring home shells. She thought the shells had been vacated but at least two of them still have inhabitants and the third, we're not sure. We're trying to figure out what to feed them since it sounds like they've been in her bag for five days and we'd rather they didn't die. one of them is a medium sized conch shell, and the other, I'm not sure but it looks like the other one is a conch shell but much more round and smoothed out.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-09, 06:10 PM
My sister came home from a school trip and she decided to bring home shells. She thought the shells had been vacated but at least two of them still have inhabitants and the third, we're not sure. We're trying to figure out what to feed them since it sounds like they've been in her bag for five days and we'd rather they didn't die. one of them is a medium sized conch shell, and the other, I'm not sure but it looks like the other one is a conch shell but much more round and smoothed out.

pics for help of identeficateing process please?

Mystic Muse
2011-01-09, 06:31 PM
pics for help of identeficateing process please?

first one doesn't have the same coloration but it was the best I could find
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb443/Zernobog888/images.jpg

Second one is almost exactly alike
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb443/Zernobog888/images1.jpg

DraPrime
2011-01-09, 06:39 PM
What exactly do the inhabitants look like? Are they snails? Crabs? Cthulhu?

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-09, 06:40 PM
all i could find is that conch snails eat algea.

they are snails, are they?

Mystic Muse
2011-01-09, 06:43 PM
What exactly do the inhabitants look like? Are they snails? Crabs? Cthulhu?

One appears to be a crab (The one in the conch shell) the other, I couldn't get a good look at. It came out for a second, and looked like it had tarantula fangs, so I'd guess Cthulhu.

Nothing has come out of the third shell, so I'm assuming it's empty, but I'm not sure.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-09, 06:44 PM
If I had cthulhu come out of a shell, I would defffff scream and go gibbering mad.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-09, 06:44 PM
Nothing has come out of the third shell, so I'm assuming it's empty, but I'm not sure.

Why exactly do you think it could be inhabited?

Mystic Muse
2011-01-09, 06:46 PM
Why exactly do you think it could be inhabited?

Mostly because the other two were and it's kind of heavy. It's a very large snail like shell though so it could just be heavy because of that.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-09, 06:48 PM
Mostly because the other two were and it's kind of heavy. It's a very large snail like shell though so it could just be heavy because of that.

stick your finger in it to find out.

for science.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-09, 06:50 PM
Or just throw it really hard... Though that could be messy. I'd take some raw meat and put it in front of the ones that aren't the snail.

Mystic Muse
2011-01-09, 06:50 PM
Or just throw it really hard... Though that could be messy. I'd take some raw meat and put it in front of the ones that aren't the snail.

What will that do?

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-09, 07:07 PM
What will that do?

you'll sea what's inside the shell

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-09, 07:10 PM
Only if it likes raw meat.

Eldan
2011-01-09, 07:11 PM
If there are crabs in there, they are definitely not the original inhabitants.

Still. If it has fangs, it probably eats meat. The crab, well, that can vary. But probably algae. Get some fish food at a pet store, perhaps? Or go to a river or brook, find some overgrown stones.

Mystic Muse
2011-01-09, 07:12 PM
We did get some crab food which we've put in there.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-09, 07:13 PM
nonsense. it demands a sacrafice.

i suggest a lamb

you can leave the lamb tied to a stake with the unknown creature in the same room like they did in jurrasic park

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-09, 07:13 PM
We did get some crab food which we've put in there.

Wait? 5 days without food? How bad do these shells smell...

Mystic Muse
2011-01-09, 07:14 PM
Wait? 5 days without food? How bad do these shells smell...

They're still alive somehow.

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-09, 07:15 PM
Hate to say this, but she probably did the wrong thing by taking them away from the beach. It's one of the first things I learned when collecting shells: never take a shell that already has something living in there.

And it's a bad idea to pick them up down under as cone shell creatures can kill you.

I don't want to sound patronising, but I hardly think you'll be able to make them live at all. You could try taking them to a pet shop.

Mystic Muse
2011-01-09, 07:15 PM
Hate to say this, but she probably did the wrong thing by taking them away from the beach. It's one of the first things I learned when collecting shells: never take a shell that already has something living in there.

She didn't mean to. She thought they were empty.

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-09, 07:20 PM
How thoroughly did she check? I'm guessing she got them out of a rockpool or near one.

Conch shells are nice though, as are nautilus shells.

Mystic Muse
2011-01-09, 07:21 PM
How thoroughly did she check? I'm guessing she got them out of a rockpool or near one.

Not sure. I wasn't with her. I'd ask her, but I don't think she's home right now.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-09, 07:26 PM
Not sure. I wasn't with her. I'd ask her, but I don't think she's home right now.

Maybe you should go check?

Mystic Muse
2011-01-09, 07:28 PM
Maybe you should go check?

She isn't here.

my parents already tried a pet shop. They won't take them because they're afraid they'll have disease or parasites.

KenderWizard
2011-01-09, 07:39 PM
Can you put them back? Or in a similar coastal environment to where she found them? No guarantee they'll survive, but it might be their best chance.

Mystic Muse
2011-01-09, 07:42 PM
Can you put them back? Or in a similar coastal environment to where she found them? No guarantee they'll survive, but it might be their best chance.

I'm sure she would if she could, But I don't think her school is going to take her back to the Bahamas any time soon. I think the closest place we could put them is a freshwater lake, and I don't think they'd survive there. We're in Indiana so we're not really close to the ocean or anything.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-09, 07:44 PM
I'm sure she would if she could, But I don't think her school is going to take her back to the Bahamas any time soon. I think the closest place we could put them is a freshwater lake, and I don't think they'd survive there. We're in Indiana so we're not really close to the ocean or anything.

They survived a plane flight? Im surprised by the buggers tenacity. I'd just put em in a fishtank or bowl or what have you, and then put in crab food. (Hasn't had a crab since before 3rd grade.)

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-09, 07:48 PM
The Bahamas?!?!?

I'm happy I live in a country where shenanigans like that stop right at the border. You guys don't worry about that with customs, or anything? :smalleek:

Did she even have to declare that she was bringing them into the country?

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-09, 07:51 PM
The Bahamas?!?!?

I'm happy I live in a country where shenanigans like that stop right at the border. You guys don't worry about that with customs, or anything? :smalleek:

She must have forgot. Its not like they check you if you say you dont...

Mystic Muse
2011-01-09, 07:51 PM
The Bahamas?!?!?

Beats me. I've never flown anywhere that isn't in the US before. I want to one day though.

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-09, 07:52 PM
They do here and you cop a whopping fine if you don't delcare.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-09, 07:52 PM
If she only thought she was bringing in shells, she wouldn't have thought to declare them. Why declare a bunch of seashells you found?

Also. Her school had a trip to the bahamas? Spoiled rich kids. :smallfurious:

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-09, 07:55 PM
I don't know about the US, but here you need to declare sea shells if you bring them into the country as they count as biological material. And I've just returned from a cruise and my boyfriend had shells from Vanuatu, and nothing was in them as we checked.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-09, 07:59 PM
I don't know about the US, but here you need to declare sea shells if you bring them into the country as they count as biological material. And I've just returned from a cruise and my boyfriend had shells from Vanuatu, and nothing was in them as we checked.

If you dont declare anything, they dont check you. Returned from Japan, got in the returning citizens line, gave them our passports, asked if we had anything to declare, said we didn't, and went on our marry way.

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-09, 08:01 PM
You don't have sniffer dogs there? Or scanning your luggage and hand luggage?

Mystic Muse
2011-01-09, 08:01 PM
If she only thought she was bringing in shells, she wouldn't have thought to declare them. Why declare a bunch of seashells you found?

Also. Her school had a trip to the bahamas? Spoiled rich kids. :smallfurious:

It was for college credits. It sounds like the school does this a lot for some reason.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-09, 08:02 PM
You don't have sniffer dogs there? Or scanning your luggage and hand luggage?

Didn't have my luggage with me. Just my backpack. Who knows what happened to my luggage.

Innis Cabal
2011-01-09, 08:03 PM
The Bahamas?!?!?

Our country wasn't over-run by rabbits. We live in ignorance on how bad it can really be. Most of the country have no idea the terror of the Great Lakes Zebra Mussels.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-09, 08:07 PM
Our country wasn't over-run by rabbits. We live in ignorance on how bad it can really be. Most of the country have no idea the terror of the Great Lakes Zebra Mussels.

Stupid invasive species. Like 2 crabs fromthe Bahamas.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-09, 08:12 PM

didn't they clog up dams and stuff?

also two words, fire ants if there is a devil, he sure had fun making these nasty bugs:smallyuk:

Deathslayer7
2011-01-09, 08:13 PM
Yeah. If they would have caught that, they probably either would have made her throw away the shells or take them away. Sheels (espcially with animals inside would not have made it over security.

In all honesty, I'm surprised they didn't catch it. Best bet is to find out exactly what it is, then look up what it eats.

Orzel
2011-01-09, 08:18 PM
Boil em and make a potato side.

Howd you get them in the country is beyond me.
When I went to the Bahamas, they took my shells.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-09, 08:35 PM
Boil em and make a potato side.

Howd you get them in the country is beyond me.
When I went to the Bahamas, they took my shells.

Did you declare them?

Castel
2011-01-09, 08:53 PM
Are they Hermit Crabs? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermit_crab) Maybe wikipedia can help! (check the "as pets" section.)

Go to your local aquarium, too.

Edit:
I remember that, when playing with hermit crabs as a child, we'd blow some air into the shells to make them come out... check if you can do that with the remaining shell.

Orzel
2011-01-09, 09:09 PM
Did you declare them?

No, I forgot I still had them.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-09, 09:12 PM
No, I forgot I still had them.

Hmmmm. That's odd. I guess it depends on the airport.

Orzel
2011-01-09, 09:20 PM
There was sand and junk in them. Ans it was NY.

I barely remember it through. I was high on cold medicine.

"Rain ain't making ME miss the beach. Screw the tropical storm."

IonDragon
2011-01-09, 09:30 PM
I came about this close --->| |<--- to derailing this about the rainy season and my vacation.

On topic: They are probably some type of Hermit crab. They vary in size greatly depending on age and species. They are scavengers and will eat meats and some types of plant matter including fruit. Try setting them up in a terrarium in a manner like you would an aquatic reptile: Rocks mostly, not too full though with an area where there are (almost) no rocks. Fill it with water so there is still dry land up top, but a place where they can get into the water. Put a food dish with a sampling of foods (IIRC mine liked strawberries) and see what they eat.

Jack Squat
2011-01-09, 09:32 PM
I'd just put them in boiling water for a few minutes and pull the critters out, then soak the shells in a bleach-water mix overnight and wipe them down with mineral oil.

There's really not a use in keeping the creatures in there alive unless you want them as pets or are able to put them back relatively soon. They're not contributing to the environment and may actually be harmful to it now that they're elsewhere.

Mystic Muse
2011-01-09, 09:41 PM
I'd just put them in boiling water for a few minutes and pull the critters out, then soak the shells in a bleach-water mix overnight and wipe them down with mineral oil.

Would that be the most humane way to kill them?

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-09, 09:43 PM
Yes, and the cleanest. You won't be able to keep them alive as you won't be able to replicate their natural environment. From what I read you are a fair way from any ocean, and can't get any sea water. Also, there's a thing about temperature as I know tropical fish can die of cold, not sure about shell fish.

Jack Squat
2011-01-09, 09:52 PM
Yeah, that's about as humane as it gets. They die almost instantly from the hot water.

You could set up a saltwater aquarium and keep them around, but live shells make horrible conversation pieces.

"So, I see you've got an empty aquarium there..."

IonDragon
2011-01-09, 10:04 PM
I'd contact the local petstore before killing them. All hermit crabs are tropical, but they can be kept as pets without much difficulty. They only need a heat lamp, and a basic setup.

On a potentially related note, the hermit crab's body is long and covered with little feet like things which will make pulling them out of the shells while they are still alive impossible.

On the other hand, when they die the only way you can really tell is the smell. They're not especially active or interesting. :smallconfused:

Mystic Muse
2011-01-09, 10:29 PM
I'd contact the local petstore before killing them.

My parents contacted one. They said they wouldn't take them because they might have diseases or parasites.

Serpentine
2011-01-10, 12:35 AM
The Bahamas?!?!?

Did she even have to declare that she was bringing them into the country?Australia is unusually strict on this sort of thing.
Strict enough that they wouldn't let in a couple of turkey feathers :smallannoyed:

If you want to kill them, put them in the fridge and/or the freezer first. Puts them to sleep - humane restaurants kill their lobsters and crabs this way. But you might not have to kill them, if you're willing to look after them. Best not to release them into the wild without asking a wildlife expert first, though.

My mum once collected shells on the beach. She put them inside the leg of her swimmers to hold them until she took them back to the shore. When she was cleaning them, a blue ringed octopus fell out. Dead, but they're still dangerous even then.
She had a deadly animal in her swimmers.

Eldan
2011-01-10, 03:21 AM
I'm quite surprised you can miss a blue-ringed octopus... aren't they fairly large?

Serpentine
2011-01-10, 03:26 AM
No, not really. I mean, I'm sure some can get fairly large, but they're also often small. Actually, 12-20cm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-ringed_octopus), apparently.

Kislath
2011-01-10, 10:10 AM
Blue rings are fairly small octopuses, and like all octos, they can ball up into a very tiny lump very hard to see.
Conchs and hermits are easy to keep alive. I can't make long posts here, but try www.fishforums.com for info aplenty.

Moonshadow
2011-01-10, 04:03 PM
Australia is unusually strict on this sort of thing.
Strict enough that they wouldn't let in a couple of turkey feathers :smallannoyed:

If you want to kill them, put them in the fridge and/or the freezer first. Puts them to sleep - humane restaurants kill their lobsters and crabs this way. But you might not have to kill them, if you're willing to look after them. Best not to release them into the wild without asking a wildlife expert first, though.

My mum once collected shells on the beach. She put them inside the leg of her swimmers to hold them until she took them back to the shore. When she was cleaning them, a blue ringed octopus fell out. Dead, but they're still dangerous even then.
She had a deadly animal in her swimmers.

:smalleek: Dead or not, that makes my skin crawl, and it didn't even happen to me!

KenderWizard
2011-01-10, 05:30 PM
They do here and you cop a whopping fine if you don't delcare.

Unless you just seem to be harmless, confused Irish people! We said we didn't have any food, because my parents were jetlagged and not thinking right, and they pulled us aside. We had LOADS of food. I think it was all stuff you're allowed to bring in, so maybe that's different.

Anyway, this seashell story becomes more and more impressive. If you don't want to kill them, sounds like trying to set up a little warm, saltwater pool is the way to go.

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-10, 05:51 PM
Saltwater =/= seawater. Seawater has other minerals in it besides salt.

bluewind95
2011-01-10, 08:14 PM
Considering that many, many people keep marine fish perfectly healthy with sea salt preparations from aquariums, I don't see why it would be too much of a problem.

From what I hear, though, freezing is NOT a humane way to euthanize animals. This from a fish forum. They use clove oil to euthanize fish because they do suffer a lot when frozen.

Besides... why kill the poor critters? If you can keep them, you ought to at least try.